Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sins is live for gold now, here's a video of me spending a million gold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiuWRSPHeJI with special guest N256!

note: this is literally the most boring video ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

So I haven't played in months, but wanted to get into this again because it's one of the better CCGs out there. Since I last played though, all my cards are too old and from set 1, I guess. None of my decks are legal anymore! Does the game ever give you a free, legal starter deck again? Do I have to buy cards or something now?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Go through the campaign. It's a bit dull, but open decks are still legal there and it's much easier/faster with open decks. Over the course of the entire thing, you get a ton of gold and a healthy amount of wildcards.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Bramble posted:

None of my decks are legal anymore!
Open the standard drop down menu and select Open. All of your decks are legal, in open. If your MMR isn't especially high you shouldn't have much trouble getting into the swing of things again. As inthesto said, do the campaign, it pays out like 20 packs and 500k gold or something.

quote:

Does the game ever give you a free, legal starter deck again? Do I have to buy cards or something now?
Yes, you get a starter deck for each faction when you beat someone playing that faction. On top of the campaign rewards.

Also if you have older stuff to throw away, the pit has an epic card on tuesday and a hero on friday now, plus you get wildcards from that as well.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So I updated the OP. If anyone wants me to add something or change something, please advise.

I've been sucked into playing Destiny lately and I haven't had much time to play other games. Once I'm burned out on Destiny, I plan to take up this game again because I have a huge card collection I want to scrap for wildcards and buy whatever the hell I want.

I'm gonna message a mod to change the thread title. If someone has a suggestion for a new title, speak up.

Also, I'm going to be redoing the roster in the OP so it's current. If you're still playing this game, post your Uplay name and a referral link.

Thanks guys.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I just got a handsome and generous mod to update the title and change the icon to something I feel is more applicable to this game's history (I'm looking at you, Ubisoft). Let's see if people are bored of Hearthstone and want to try this game again...

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
What does SoB stand for in this context?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Sins of Betrayal or Son of a Bitch. It is a very clunky play on words. If people hate it I can bug a handsome and generous mod to change it again.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 9, 2014

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I switched back to my original account, mostly because it's in Lord Commander tier for some reason and it's a lot easier to beat up on people with test decks in a lower ladder bracket. Referral code here

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You rank down if you don't maintain a MMR above the thresholds for each rank. They've never clarified if idle accounts keep ranking down, though. They haven't really clarified much of anything since the whole hidden MMR thing is just that, the ranks don't mean anything other than slotting you into a MMR range and they don't want people to figure out you can actually reach a higher rank then snap concede down to beat up on newbs, lock your rank by playing unranked and still get the full gold rewards. I've considered hitting Champ 3 and then doing this but its kinda easier to just not bother playing while the game sucks atm anyway.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Why does the game suck right now?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That's a bit of hyperbole since I haven't played in a bit but October did not bring back up the player numbers. Numbers are worse than the 2nd month of GB. Possibly as a result of:

The metagame in both open and standard was like 75% inferno or namtaru. Namtaru got nerfed but Necro was pretty screwed over by the changes and is just kind of a bad faction other than Namtaru now, which is kinda meh. Inferno midrange could reliably cast Arkath's wrath 3-4 times a game. Inferno rush would get these turns where it would play 2 lavaspawn on its turn 1 and then it can just burn you down even if you stabilize almost immediately.
Mass Rage is still as irritating as ever and they buffed it further because reasons
Haven sucks harder than pre-Sins, Sanctuary can't cope with wrath spam at all, basically no balancing was fixed and the biggest recent change was for their desperate to be an esport vips
Daily changes were just silly. I don't know, it is nice to be able to gold grind WCs again but it means you're getting almost no WCs if you're just playing casually.

Maybe all this changed in the last week, but I'm sick of reading the ivory tower bullshit from the vips so I've been avoiding the official forums. Dudes arguing like the changes were all great and the metagame is awesome when player numbers were horribad last month is just irritating. "The metagame is fine! Look, you played against Inferno rush, inferno mass rage, inferno midrange and inferno immolation!"

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

koolkal posted:

I'd be surprised if the game doesn't announce they're shutting down before the end of the year.

I was close but no cigar!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
I tried to follow the referal link in the op but it is asking for a referal code. Also the last page of this thread makes this game not seem worth getting into. Is it dead or something?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

snergle posted:

I tried to follow the referal link in the op but it is asking for a referal code. Also the last page of this thread makes this game not seem worth getting into. Is it dead or something?

Everyone cool plays Hex now.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
I'de still like to try out this game. Do I have to make a new uplay account to take the raf link? or can I just log in and dl w/o putting in the code its asking for.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

MrBims posted:

Everyone cool plays Hex now.

I thought that the consensus was that Hex was terrible and had an even worse F2P model than this. Sarcasm or is the game actually good now?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MisterZimbu posted:

I thought that the consensus was that Hex was terrible and had an even worse F2P model than this. Sarcasm or is the game actually good now?

Hex doesn't have a f2p model.
But it has drafting. And is Magic.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

snergle posted:

I'de still like to try out this game. Do I have to make a new uplay account to take the raf link? or can I just log in and dl w/o putting in the code its asking for.

Download the client, install, log into your old uplay account, and type in the referral code once you are logged in. So for Dabadu it would be: 7ICMZJ
Also the game is good but the new expansion kind of killed it unless you like getting your poo poo constantly kicked in by Inferno. The dailies are also lovely now which means less packs/wildcards for most people.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The metagame is bad, the dailies are bad and the game has a weird bug that hits accounts now where you if you get it, you get the infinite loading bug (the toilet swirl at the start never stops flushing) over and over again. You can still see it from time to time on an 'uninfected' account, but there are individuals who have played hundreds of hours in the game who can barely play now. The last three times I tried to play, I played against inferno, got the instant defeat bug and got the infinite loading bug. Woo. I don't know if they ever fixed the instant defeat bug either, but I haven't seen much about it the few times I've visited reddit to see news.

Bound Succubus is still in the game, unchanged from her original printing. Boggles the mind. With the development team being handed over to Blue Byte I was briefly sort of enthused, but they claim they're keeping the same stupid VIPs on so I doubt the game is going to get any better. The next patch was implied to be in about five to six weeks but I'd be really shocked.

jetz0r posted:

Hex doesn't have a f2p model.
But it has drafting. And is Magic.
According to a friend of mine on the Hex team they felt like f2p means you have to give up free trading (since parts of the world can see farming at above minimum wage for the region, so it deflates your economy), but they were still hoping to work on f2p gaming in PvE so maybe it eventually will? Did they drop support for eventually doing that? I haven't spoken to him in a while.

koolkal posted:

I was close but no cigar!
Well it is technically is being shut down, assuming they're laying off a chunk of the studio that was working on the game. So pretty close!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Spiderdrake posted:

Well it is technically is being shut down, assuming they're laying off a chunk of the studio that was working on the game. So pretty close!
That makes me sad because I just found the game and it is really fun and I like it a lot more then hearthstone. It sort of reminds me of legends of norrath which I only quit because they got rid of the way I was using to f2p. Is this game made by the old soe michigan guys?

I seriously put in like 30 hrs since my last post ive just been grinding away in this game and having a lot of fun.

I also haven't had any bugs happen where I can't log in / instantly lose.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

snergle posted:

That makes me sad because I just found the game and it is really fun and I like it a lot more then hearthstone. It sort of reminds me of legends of norrath which I only quit because they got rid of the way I was using to f2p. Is this game made by the old soe michigan guys?

I seriously put in like 30 hrs since my last post ive just been grinding away in this game and having a lot of fun.

I also haven't had any bugs happen where I can't log in / instantly lose.

Yeah, the game is pretty drat stable and is a good card game. I wasn't lying in the OP. Also, although Inferno is powerful and cheap, all factions can be competitive if you build the right deck (and grind enough / spend money). There's just some (ex-)players here that are overly harsh/toxic on it.

Once I dig myself out of my Destiny hole (http://www.twitch.tv/dahbadu), I'll pick this game up again. I probably won't spend any more money on it -- I don't need to, I have a huge collection. But I'll give it another go when I have time and an inkling to play a card game again.

I do suggest to try and not to spend much money on it. Just play it for fun and on the cheap (which is very possible given the generous F2P rewards). Despite being stronger than both Hex and Hearthstone in a lot of ways, and having a healthy player base, the game does seem to be slowly dying (e.g. I'm not playing it currently).

Edit:

I didn't know they were shutting down the studio and moving development elsewhere. That's sad. From my understanding, the team was pretty small and efficient. I was always impressed with what they were able to pull off with their resources. I guess it goes to show you that if you have a great game, a good team, and no one knows about it, it's gonna die.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 9, 2014

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Dahbadu posted:

Yeah, the game is pretty drat stable and is a good card game. I wasn't lying in the OP. Also, although Inferno is powerful and cheap, all factions can be competitive if you build the right deck (and grind enough / spend money). There's just some (ex-)players here that are overly harsh/toxic on it.

Once I dig myself out of my Destiny hole (http://www.twitch.tv/dahbadu), I'll pick this game up again. I probably won't spend any more money on it -- I don't need to, I have a huge collection. But I'll give it another go when I have time and an inkling to play a card game again.

I do suggest to try and not to spend much money on it. Just play it for fun and on the cheap (which is very possible given the generous F2P rewards). Despite being stronger than both Hex and Hearthstone in a lot of ways, and having a healthy player base, the game does seem to be slowly dying (e.g. I'm not playing it currently).

Edit:

I didn't know they were shutting down the studio and moving development elsewhere. That's sad. From my understanding, the team was pretty small and efficient. I was always impressed with what they were able to pull off with their resources. I guess it goes to show you that if you have a great game, a good team, and no one knows about it, it's gonna die.

Yea I play f2p games as f2p as possible but I will throw 20-50$ every 6 months or so.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dahbadu posted:

There's just some (ex-)players here that are overly harsh/toxic on it.
Dude, come on, you're not even playing. You never even played against prenerf spellthief, did you? And yeah, it's a great core game, they've just done a lovely job with it over the last six months. The faction and spell school stratification has remained largely consistent since HoN, and they've gone deep on producing almost nothing but parasitic mechanics for the weaker factions.

And player numbers are now at record lows on Steam. The game is going below 200 players outside of peak, whereas during HoN/GB you'd see more than double that at the same time.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
why are two of the steam puzzle decks over 5$? One of them is 17$

Spiderdrake posted:

Dude, come on, you're not even playing. You never even played against prenerf spellthief, did you? And yeah, it's a great core game, they've just done a lovely job with it over the last six months. The faction and spell school stratification has remained largely consistent since HoN, and they've gone deep on producing almost nothing but parasitic mechanics for the weaker factions.

And player numbers are now at record lows on Steam. The game is going below 200 players outside of peak, whereas during HoN/GB you'd see more than double that at the same time.

I'm not sure when prime time is but I usually wait the same amount as getting into a hearthstone ranked game. I have started to get high enough where I just run into inferno forever. Its way more noticeable then hunter or zoo decks were in hs in their prime. 1/3 of my games are usually against the "main" meta deck in hs and 2/3 of them are in this game. I wonder if they knew they were transferring the game to a different dev team and just jerked off for the last few months? I hope ubisoft germany gets on this balance.

snergle fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 10, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't think low player numbers can be attributed just to the game itself - the last month or two have been a big hotspot for new games or expansions, so it makes sense a lot of attention is being shifted elsewhere. If things are still this way around March there'd be concern, but it's nothing that would surprise me just yet.

I probably won't be getting back to the game til February at the worst myself - I've got a generous backlog of game and a busier schedule. Looking forward to re-piloting Shaar again though.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

snergle posted:

I'm not sure when prime time is but I usually wait the same amount as getting into a hearthstone ranked game. I have started to get high enough where I just run into inferno forever. Its way more noticeable then hunter or zoo decks were in hs in their prime. 1/3 of my games are usually against the "main" meta deck in hs and 2/3 of them are in this game. I wonder if they knew they were transferring the game to a different dev team and just jerked off for the last few months? I hope ubisoft germany gets on this balance.

Given how popular Hearthstone is, I find its queue times strangely long. DoC must be working of a vastly different matchmaking algorithm.

And while I haven't played in a month or two, Inferno always has been and probably always will be the most straightforward and simple faction to play and is generally competitive at all skill levels. It's not a surprise that it's popular at all points on the ladder

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

snergle posted:

why are two of the steam puzzle decks over 5$? One of them is 17$
Reaction to rarity, basically. They were drops for grinding metagame badges back during the summer sale, so that is all the supply there is and people got really excited about the higher rarity stuff.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

In another genius Ubisoft decision, they made their solo puzzle content into a rare time-limited Steam item.

I wonder why this game is dying??

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Spiderdrake posted:

Reaction to rarity, basically. They were drops for grinding metagame badges back during the summer sale, so that is all the supply there is and people got really excited about the higher rarity stuff.

are they worth the price / do you think they will go up or down in price?

koolkal posted:

In another genius Ubisoft decision, they made their solo puzzle content into a rare time-limited Steam item.

I wonder why this game is dying??

I kinda wonder what would of happened to all things m&m if 3do didn't tank. I wish ubisoft would get some people to release an old m&m style rpg not this is sparta the video game as an rpg. I still like the heroes of m&m but I agree I think they really droped the ball on this game that could / should be a huge money maker. I didn't even know this game was a game until I randomly saw this thread on the front page of games and was bored enough to click it to see what the game was about.

snergle fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 12, 2014

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

snergle posted:

I kinda wonder what would of happened to all things m&m if 3do didn't tank. I wish ubisoft would get some people to release an old m&m style rpg not this is sparta the video game as an rpg. I still like the heroes of m&m but I agree I think they really droped the ball on this game that could / should be a huge money maker. I didn't even know this game was a game until I randomly saw this thread on the front page of games and was bored enough to click it to see what the game was about.

This, and it really bothers me. It's a great and fun card game with incredibly well made art for the cards(An Important Thing for me) and seeing it squandered like this is just sad.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

snergle posted:

The sub ten cents one are fine. The Seria one might be worth it, I don't remember the contents. If you plan on playing, I mean. I bought up to the mother one during the summer sale and got lots of use out of them.

And yeah, I wish 3DO was still around. I've played through both HoMM3 and 4 recently and the Ubisoft offerings just don't have the charm. As for this game, I wish it spent more time in a vacuum trying to be its own game, instead of just ending up as this awful modern CCG derivative. Those initial games playing at the lower ELO where you're maneuvering your troops, looking for an opening, carefully positioning your troops to breakthrough are amazing. Then everyone has rares and its a race to slam geysers, frozen waves and arkath's wrath into each others board states.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Spiderdrake posted:

As for this game, I wish it spent more time in a vacuum trying to be its own game, instead of just ending up as this awful modern CCG derivative. Those initial games playing at the lower ELO where you're maneuvering your troops, looking for an opening, carefully positioning your troops to breakthrough are amazing. Then everyone has rares and its a race to slam geysers, frozen waves and arkath's wrath into each others board states.

You mean if there was some mode or modes where those crappy commons that pad out boosters had a use and actually made up most of the format?

Sure, the heavy faction restrictions in mmdoc make designing limited more a challenge. But that hasn't stopped other digital ccgs from figuring out solutions. They can't do Magic or Hex's 8 player drafts with passed boosters, but a ripoff of HS's arena or Solforge's draft would have been great.
Instead we just get everything feeding constructed formats that automatically invalidated 75% of new cards the instant they were created. Without limited or casual play, bad cards are just bad cards.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

No, I don't mean that. Limited would be nice, but you know what else would be nice? Actual tournaments you enter with a tournament ticket. Not jokes like the R2P. Did ANYONE do the R2P this year in the thread? There's nothing to really do in the game, they put no effort in this year or the years preceding.

What I mean is that as you push forward in constructed the game becomes increasingly about spells that sweep either the board, or blow huge chunks out of the opposing army. This runs contrary to the game's design and rapidly makes positioning either meaningless, or stupid. The point where you run out of spaces on the board to play creatures without either getting your newly dropped creature crunched or getting splattered by swarm/geyser/meteor/wrath is the point where the game just shows off how poorly they ran with the original design.

I'm not saying this wasn't always a problem, but in open you can't overload on stuff like this since the deeper card pool allows for decks that aren't reliant or can't be routinely 3 for 1'd over and over. Last I checked, standard is completely spellcentric and the factions that suck the most are surprise surprise extremely vulnerable at 3 or 5 life creatures. It feels like I'm playing constructed magic, except I'm playing a game with no phases or stack, instead of the cool tactical boardgame feeling CCG it is when you start playing.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Next expansion announced. It looks like it's going to be basically everything that has already been released on the chinese servers. So they are bringing back older cards into standard plus a couple of new ones and draft mode.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1010453-Set-Announcement-Time-of-Renewal

Chinese server cards, just apply the filter
http://doc.upaidui.com/kapai

Check posts by akim001 for the translations
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/996082-New-things-happening-in-Chinese-server-%29/page12

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Draft mode looks pretty cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxoFuclFMd0

Seems like they're copying HS's arena for the matches after you draft, untimed games, play till you hit 3 losses or 7 wins.

I still have over 100 tickets sitting on my account, so I should be good to draft forever.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Why are things on the Chinese server further developed?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The impression given is that Ubisoft decided the resources of the main team would be better spent elsewhere (I don't know if they're using them for something else or if they all just got laid off, the only thing we were really told was that the CM contracts weren't renewed but JasonParadise got moved in the company...) so the main team shipped all of its work to bluebyte and the chinese team. The chinese team, I guess, was more on the ball since they were an existing team. BlueByte is playing catch up, but so far they've looked to have a good idea what to do.

And yeah they should stop calling things draft when they're not draft. Oh well. I think that is mostly a dumb community thing, what with people calling Open "Legacy" when it very explicitly is not.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dahbadu posted:

It's not sad, and all this goes to show is that if you don't react to valid criticism and leave the same stupid problems unfixed forever then people will be driven away.

How in the world do you think that nobody knew about this game? Are you kidding me? It's a loving F2P game that was splashed on the Steam front page scroller for a good few weeks. This game got a least as much exposure as comparable F2P card games that are still operating. People knew about the game, they just didn't want to keep playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

It's not sad, and all this goes to show is that if you don't react to valid criticism and leave the same stupid problems unfixed forever then people will be driven away.

How in the world do you think that nobody knew about this game? Are you kidding me? It's a loving F2P game that was splashed on the Steam front page scroller for a good few weeks. This game got a least as much exposure as comparable F2P card games that are still operating. People knew about the game, they just didn't want to keep playing it.

This game had some decent numbers on steam after it was released. They went down slowly after the initial release, then plummeted after the economy and BS2 revamp turned the game into poo poo. The fact that draft is finally being added somewhere around 18 months AFTER the game was released on steam shows how little the dev team understood what they should have been working on.

http://steamcharts.com/app/256410#All

If they had started ripping off HS's arena after it became a hit, the game would be doing a hell of a lot better. But instead they went full on into whale hunting power creep mode.

MMDoC is a fine game, but it's been ruined by a long series of awful decisions.

• Locked thread