Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The game's numbers drop off well into advance of BS2 landing. It came out in April, the drop goes from month one all the way to April where it was already way down. They took way too long to launch BS2 (which is a poorly designed set with a lot of unnecessary cards launched on a ton of lies) and the game sort of wobbled on numbers until SoB where it flattened out since SoB is a garbage set that as you said is pretty whale-hunty.

I honestly don't know what they were working on. The game isn't MTGO level of disappointing embarrassment, but after BS2 they added two sets, finally got refer a friend into the game even though it's so buggy and lovely no one uses it, vaguely fixed the quest system then the most recent patch which hosed the quest system up more while rollercoastering game balance in the arse. Chompy is basically right, people gave them feedback like "Put more standard events into the rotation" and "Fix the daily quest system so it isn't moronic" and it took them like 2 months to half-way manage one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Spiderdrake posted:

The game's numbers drop off well into advance of BS2 landing. It came out in April, the drop goes from month one all the way to April where it was already way down. They took way too long to launch BS2 (which is a poorly designed set with a lot of unnecessary cards launched on a ton of lies) and the game sort of wobbled on numbers until SoB where it flattened out since SoB is a garbage set that as you said is pretty whale-hunty.

BS2 launch was advertised way in advance and it felt like everyone was waiting for it to drop because it was supposed to make everything better, and obsolete all the cards you would be buying before it came out. The steamchart numbers are also pretty smoothed out compared to how I remember them looking when I was checking daily after BS2 came out.

Of course it did none of that, AND

Spiderdrake posted:

I honestly don't know what they were working on. The game isn't MTGO level of disappointing embarrassment, but after BS2 they added two sets, finally got refer a friend into the game even though it's so buggy and lovely no one uses it, vaguely fixed the quest system then the most recent patch which hosed the quest system up more while rollercoastering game balance in the arse. Chompy is basically right, people gave them feedback like "Put more standard events into the rotation" and "Fix the daily quest system so it isn't moronic" and it took them like 2 months to half-way manage one of those.

poo poo like the daily quest fuckups made it not even fun to play, and there was no haste with getting them fixed.

I really wanted this game to do well, because it doesn't have the extra randomness loved by other digital CCGs, and has a good resource system for using incremental mana. But god drat, there's been so many mistakes outside of the actual game play.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

"New" set confirmed for next week, 15th. New meaning 24 new cards in a 170 card reprint set.

Or maybe it was 184 total. Tons of chaff. Draft mode is not confirmed, even though it has been on chinese servers for like two months.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Spiderdrake posted:

"New" set confirmed for next week, 15th. New meaning 24 new cards in a 170 card reprint set.

Or maybe it was 184 total. Tons of chaff. Draft mode is not confirmed, even though it has been on chinese servers for like two months.

quote:

I hope I'm not breaking NDA with this, but our VIPs feel that the draft mode could use some work, so we don't want to release it the way it is on the Chinese server.

Can go back to ignoring mmdoc again.

N256
Dec 30, 2009
The update is live. New cards aren't available for gold as usual and swisses are open right now. They added card backs which you can own for a temporary time for gold or permanently with seals. Weird. I might make another post later about the highlights of the update if I care enough to play it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Supposedly you can't win the new cards with swiss and the altar is locked out, but I haven't bothered to log in yet.

I kinda want to do whatever ticket achievements I have but I am fairly certain draft won't be available for just tickets under the current management.

edit: Yeah ok I logged in

The time played achievements work fine. It randomly gave me some gold. I bought 3 SoB packs, it randomly didn't do the opening a pack, editing a deck or making a deck achievements. The pack one is a bs2 pack, so I'll buy that in a moment.

An opponent I played had the academy sleeves. Now all the cards in my inventory have academy sleeves. It's kinda weird.

You can not in any way earn the new card for free. No swisses and no Altar of Wishes. Also the altar prices are pretty insane, like 32 WCs for a hero, stuff like that. It's pretty silly on the heroes since you can just buy them for less, but the epics being playable in 4 ofs and 32 WCs a pop is brutal.

Basically it looks more grindy and more ridiculous, and the launch looks a bit buggy. Sveltana currently has Fleshbane's ability, and vice versa, but I haven't tested if it works.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 16, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm not sure anyone else still bothers to play this, but if you're a player who was looking to get back in and eyeing the ToR boxes deal on Steam - don't, they're bugged right now, and only give two packs instead of two boxes.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm not sure anyone else still bothers to play this, but if you're a player who was looking to get back in and eyeing the ToR boxes deal on Steam - don't, they're bugged right now, and only give two packs instead of two boxes.

I was kinda paying attention cause I wanted to draft it.

No loving way I'd spend money on this game again.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The irony is the game is sort of fun atm, though I'm not playing a lot, I think all the no life kings have quit and you can actually fool around with different decks and play people trying stuff out.

N256
Dec 30, 2009
They fixed the steam deal and the people who just got 2 boosters get to keep them.

Because I had very few open cards, I was missing out on a lot of the new deckbuilding so I just said "gently caress it" and got the deal, though I wish I got it earlier. Here's my great haul:

It actually feels like there might be more viable decks in this expansion, but the number of epics is so obscene that I wouldn't recommend anybody return to this game.

N256 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 22, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

game was hecka fun when it was new and bs2 wasn't announced yet, im going to cling to those memories because they were pretty good memories, anyways this game sucks poo poo now but i havent played it in a long time so it likely sucks even more poo poo, RIP

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah I'm starting to burn out, the necro changes are insanely awful and I'm really not up for trying to figure out how you beat a 1/0/4 with stacking regeneration that sprays poison counters across the board when you manage to kill it, or ghosts with four health at one and two drops, or that other mummy that casting putrid dragon's breath on a row when it dies.

And then all of it gets boneyarded back.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Necropolis: You get virtual card advantage no matter how badly you gently caress up

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hasn't BS2 onwards been mostly Necro focused? How did they manage to overpower it more?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Saoshyant posted:

Hasn't BS2 onwards been mostly Necro focused? How did they manage to overpower it more?

When I stopped playing (a bit into Sins of Betrayal), Stronghold was still 3 out of 5 of the top decks. The issue was more that Necropolis had three different heroes sitting around the top of tier 2, and they were cheap as gently caress to build, so they were drastically over-represented in ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Stronghold was mostly good off the back of its ability to survive Arkath's wrath, still have some fliers for frozen wave decks and survive Inferno rushes. At least, that's my understanding, like you I got sick of SoB pretty drat quick. I think pre-nerf mother miiiight have been better than Stronghold's offerings but I can't recall.

inthesto posted:

Necropolis: You get virtual card advantage no matter how badly you gently caress up
That's not virtual card advantage? VCA is when a card is effectively nullified by either being dead, requiring multiple resources to deal with or no longer being worth a card.

It's just straight up card advantage coupled with tempo. Like, good lord, imagine a magic enchantment that brings back a two drop at the end of your turn for the rest of the game.

Oh also they buffed Sahaar Mummy. A card that was actively seeing playing in open.

• Locked thread