Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Still looking for input on whether Champion Box (on sale) or Forgotton Wars box is the better first seal purchase.

Also, are Jackpot tournaments free to enter?

And are all tournaments constructed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toshimo posted:

Still looking for input on whether Champion Box (on sale) or Forgotton Wars box is the better first seal purchase.

Also, are Jackpot tournaments free to enter?

And are all tournaments constructed?

Im as noob as you but I can't see how the Forgotten Wars box would be better unless you specifically really want to play the egyptian dudes. FW box is 10 packs for 1400, Champions is 30 packs for 2400, way better value tehre, and the few extra wildcards aren't worth the difference. Remember that wildcards aren't 1 for 1: You're spendong anywhere from 5-18 wildcards to get the card you want, so 5 or 6 extras isn't as huge a deal.

Jackpot tournaments are free, and rolling: You play as many games as you want, getting lower than normal rewards per game, and at the end you get a share of the huge pot based on how well you did. I played in one yesterday, played about 10 games, went something like 6-4, and woke up to 5K gold in my inbox. Not sure if its better value than just playing 10 duels though.

All tournaments are constrcted. There is no sealed/draft.

Edit: The one thing that REALLY pisses me off about this game is not being able to have the same card in two decks at the same time. That poo poo is a big reason I like DCGs over physical: Not having to shuffle cards around. I don't want to have to blow up by Adar-Malik deck to play around with Ariana. I spent 20 wildcards on these 4 Pao Deathseekers because they go in every loving deck, just let me use them in every deck.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 16, 2013

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
My in-game name is revengeanceful, would definitely be interested in games with you guys/gals.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh right, In-Game name is Onmi_Khaos. Desperately trying to build up from 100 seals to enough to get a Champions Box. If anything, I can say it's nice that the EXP chase is never that bad.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm overwhelmed by the deck builder and this wish altar thing. I'm still playing the tutorial and it is throwing a lot of gold/exp/scripts at me for just learning the game. I got a premium pack, but no idea what is good or not yet. Hopefully once I get through the tutorials it will all make a little more sense. Any chance they have any tutorials on deck building? Making a deck with some help about what does or doesn't work and how to manage your cards would be cool.

Right now, my only problem when playing is it seems the AI gets to do a LOT of stuff. Like some turns they drop like 3-4 monsters while I only have enough to drop one. I guess they are doing things to increase their resources or sometimes they just start with extra monsters because of the mission.

What is the cost for taking a mulligan?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AxeManiac posted:

I'm overwhelmed by the deck builder and this wish altar thing. I'm still playing the tutorial and it is throwing a lot of gold/exp/scripts at me for just learning the game. I got a premium pack, but no idea what is good or not yet. Hopefully once I get through the tutorials it will all make a little more sense. Any chance they have any tutorials on deck building? Making a deck with some help about what does or doesn't work and how to manage your cards would be cool.

Right now, my only problem when playing is it seems the AI gets to do a LOT of stuff. Like some turns they drop like 3-4 monsters while I only have enough to drop one. I guess they are doing things to increase their resources or sometimes they just start with extra monsters because of the mission.

I have not noticed a cost for taking a Mulligan. My advice is to only focus on two resources. So Might/Fortune or Might/Magic. And try to get some good 2/3 Drops.

EDIT: I sure hope boost uses don't go down if your opponent quits at the start because he was looking for friends for the achievment. Cause if they do, kinda pissed off.

Wait, it doesn't. loving pissed off still because the second opponent in a row giving up immediately. I'm not going to add fucks like that to my friend list.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 17, 2013

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Im as noob as you but I can't see how the Forgotten Wars box would be better unless you specifically really want to play the egyptian dudes. FW box is 10 packs for 1400, Champions is 30 packs for 2400, way better value tehre, and the few extra wildcards aren't worth the difference.

But according to someone upthread, FW are 3 wildcards/pack. So you should be getting >2x the wildcards/seal from FW box?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AxeManiac posted:

There's no cost. You just have to stick with the second hand, whatever it is.

You're right that the AI often starts with extra monsters, but it doesn't cheat extra resources. I had to play a few ranked games to ding an extra level and buy a couple of packs before I was able to complete the campaign.

Onmi, people who quit right at the start usually aren't looking for friends. They're more commonly deliberately forfeiting to keep their ELO low, so they can abuse newbies with their Tier 1 decks for faster gold and XP. These people are scum and should be hanged by the testicles until dead.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jedit posted:

There's no cost. You just have to stick with the second hand, whatever it is.

You're right that the AI often starts with extra monsters, but it doesn't cheat extra resources. I had to play a few ranked games to ding an extra level and buy a couple of packs before I was able to complete the campaign.

Onmi, people who quit right at the start usually aren't looking for friends. They're more commonly deliberately forfeiting to keep their ELO low, so they can abuse newbies with their Tier 1 decks for faster gold and XP. These people are scum and should be hanged by the testicles until dead.

Yeah I'm almost at 500 and honestly I don't feel like my deck should be there if the last page was any example.

What packs should a Haven deck be focused on picking up with gold anyway?

EDIT: Welp, I'm at 500. I picked up 2 Ice Weapons at the Altar. Wondering if I should pick up a third and a second Chain Lightning.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 17, 2013

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
Just a heads up that the THANK5-4-THE-F4CEBOOK-LUV code doesn't appear to work

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Some people on the official forums are doing speedruns to 1k ELO, kind of a neat idea?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Unsurprisingly, the answer is that the Inferno starter will carry you through the beginner leagues.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So it seems like a lot of people in the sub 1500 queues are playing a lot of rush type decks. What type of decks are beating the rushers at their own game? Is it just a matter of going a bit bigger than them? Casting spells seems to be right out if they're packing Mana Storm.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The best rush decks are Ishuma Sanctuary with Mana Storm, Crag Hack, and Sandalphon. You'll see other decks with similar creature bases but those are the most efficient and consistent archtypes.

The answer is hope that Manastorm doesn't hurt you on your kill turns, because sometimes they get a good hand and you can't answer in kind.

I would say in a mirror match, whoever goes 2nd in a Sanctuary is a huge advantage assuming equal draws and skills.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Possibly useful for the OP, credit to MMDoCKing site.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Signed on as Lt_Tofu. Enjoying the game so far and am getting a feel for the deckbuilding. Mangaged to beat two people so far with a modified inferno starter deck.

Is their anything that must get with the wishing stones or should I hoard them for now?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Korak posted:

Possibly useful for the OP, credit to MMDoCKing site.

How do you unlock the additional sets in the alter of wishes? So wow, made it past 300 finally. I had one person who just ended their turn immediately... trying to reduce their elo?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

thylacine posted:

How do you unlock the additional sets in the alter of wishes? So wow, made it past 300 finally. I had one person who just ended their turn immediately... trying to reduce their elo?
Apparently there are people with tier 1 decks that push their elo low so they can beat up on newbies?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

thylacine posted:

You need to own 200 cards of a given set before you can wish for cards from that set.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hellfire Slave feels like cheating. Just throw a massive pile of the number 4 at your opponent, see what happens. :getin:

Been doing some swiss tourneys tonight, they're fun!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hellfire Slave is decent, but vastly inferior to Lilim because 8 health is massive for any creature, let alone a 4 drop.

Korak posted:

Apparently there are people with tier 1 decks that push their elo low so they can beat up on newbies?

Yeah, ELO is just a matchmaking thing. If EXP and gold was increased per ELO barrier, less people would do this. A big abuse problem are Belias bots that use its hero ability to deal 1 damage, then quit. You get 50 gold, but since it's a bot the tedium doesn't matter and you come away with tons of gold.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Lt_Tofu posted:

Is their anything that must get with the wishing stones or should I hoard them for now?

If you're talking about wildcards, my suggestion is to not spend them until you have a plan you're sure about. Or save them to buy powerful staple cards that are rare/epic and can be used in multiple decks. For example, buy some Pao Deathseekers (rare neutral creatures) or meta rare/epic spells.

Myself, I spent about 40 of them on cards I probably shouldn't have to finish out a deck I was making. But I'm not a poor college student, so I don't have to be too worried about maximizing my video game currency.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I've updated the OP again with all the good info in this thread. I'd like to thank everyone for contributing helpful info.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
I started with the Necropolis deck, was thinking about picking up another deck before buying packs.
Would that be stupid?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

I started with the Necropolis deck, was thinking about picking up another deck before buying packs.
Would that be stupid?

Depends on if you really want to focus on that Hero.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I just killed him so hard that the game didn't realize I killed him, and let me play out the rest of my turn

As much as I liked Forked Lightning, and it's a game changed when it plays, it being the ONLY 6-Magic spell in the deck versus Celesital being a 6-Might monster is sometimes leaving me cut and dry.

Should I replace one with a level 4 Monster/Spell?

2-Drops
Dire Wolf
Wolf Guard

3-Drops
Wild Griffin (4)
Griffin Knight

4-Drops
Deep Mountain Turtle
Griffin Marksmen

5-Drops
Imperial Guard

6-Drops
Greater Fire Elemental
Blazing Glory

SPELLS

1-Cost
Wind Shield (1 in deck)
Refreshing Spring

2-Cost
Water Wall

5-Cost
Father Skys Wrath

If you're wondering where everything else went? Somebody went crazy with the Infernal Pit AND didn't really get what packs to buy. leading to nothing really being unlocked in the Altar and his trunk being sparse 119 cards in collection total.

I really needed a guide like this thread before I played, unfortunately...

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

Would that be stupid?

I started as Necro, then bought The Box and a Heroic pack and've been playing Stronghold since then.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

goldjas posted:

When I played this game it was super grindy, like if you weren't botting or playing at least 10 hours a day you weren't seeing new cards past the initial surge, ever.

Also not being able to use the same card in multiple decks. gently caress that noise.
These were my exact thoughts about the game when I tried it. I understand that the game is a CCG and so it's meant to be a giant money toilet, but the way they handled f2p didn't feel like a smooth transition to me at all. You get a big surge of free stuff at the beginning, and then you hit a massive brick wall where it's going to take you forever to get anything else for free. I wouldn't even mind spending money, that wasn't the issue, it was the sudden jarring breaks in the whole experience.

Also yeah, being able to use the same cards in multiple decks was one of the best features of MTG:Online. Not having that as a feature is just retarded.

Edit: The game itself was pretty fun though. I just really hated the monetization model.

Rabbi fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 17, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Oh god, the combination of Despair and Geyser is hilarious. hosed if you do, hosed if you don't.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Picked this up because of this thread as somehow I hadn't heard of this before and I'm having fun so far.

I spent some time digging around to figure out the best starter deck and it seems to be that inferno is the best one to pick up. Aside from a number of people on various sites/forums saying inferno is the best I also came across this 1K Elo Speedrun challenge that was entirely dominated by the inferno starter. I've been going well with the inferno deck so far but I haven't played enough games to know for sure how strong it is.

I also found a couple resources that helped me decide how to mold the deck from there:

http://drawnplay.wordpress.com/mmdoc-reviews/
http://mmdocking.com/video-tutorials-by-really0riginal/

The basic rule I'm following is get rid of any non-creature card that either doesn't affect the board/hurt the opponent, or costs more than 2 fate/magic (there are some 3s that might be worth it though). Then get rid of any creature with power of 1. Then cut out any creature with might cost more than 4. I'm still working on getting rid of the useless power 1 cards. I die a little inside every time I draw one.

Also I had more than enough cards to duel after the first 2 campaigns without putting down cash. Had to duel someone to get level 3 and unlock the third campaign area though.

Oh and in as Higsian.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 17, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

I like removal.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

I like removal.

That screen shot makes me hate you with every fiber of my being. But at the same time, you're using your fell powers to kill MORE Zombies so... Yay?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I just hit 500 ELO with my necro deck, a few games before hitting level 6. I've lost one(1) games so far. And I'm not very good. I keep making obvious play errors and still winning. The amount of damage I've missed out on is pretty absurd.

Also, the sheer number of lovely cards people will play is insane. Such as the various fogs for only a single row. So terrible, yet I've ssen 4 necro decks running them. Decks which do not start with them :negative:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

For those that haven't posted the in-game name yet, please do! I need more eFriends!

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 17, 2013

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
I started playing this morning and have been going through the Training missions. On the last mission, it tells me I have no valid deck and cannot begin. (The other missions used a preset deck). I chose Inferno when I made my account, but there are no cards in my collection and no decks either. Do I need to unpack the deck or what?

Also, it's not just that I have my filters wrong. I have them so that I can see all cards in my collection, which is the default setting.

Bizarro Kale
Oct 15, 2005

Meroin posted:

I started playing this morning and have been going through the Training missions. On the last mission, it tells me I have no valid deck and cannot begin. (The other missions used a preset deck). I chose Inferno when I made my account, but there are no cards in my collection and no decks either. Do I need to unpack the deck or what?

Also, it's not just that I have my filters wrong. I have them so that I can see all cards in my collection, which is the default setting.

I'm having the same issue as well, did some searching and apparently a bunch of people are just not getting a starter deck to play with since last week. I guess the servers screwing up is breaking faction selection (I got an error message when I first selected my faction).

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008

Bizarro Kale posted:

I'm having the same issue as well, did some searching and apparently a bunch of people are just not getting a starter deck to play with since last week. I guess the servers screwing up is breaking faction selection (I got an error message when I first selected my faction).

drat. I guess that means make another account and start over, huh?

Bizarro Kale
Oct 15, 2005
Some of them have had success by contacting ubisoft support through https://support.ubi.com and getting their starter deck added manually, I'm waiting on a response myself.

Not the best introduction to the game.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

I just hit 500 ELO with my necro deck, a few games before hitting level 6. I've lost one(1) games so far. And I'm not very good. I keep making obvious play errors and still winning. The amount of damage I've missed out on is pretty absurd.

Also, the sheer number of lovely cards people will play is insane. Such as the various fogs for only a single row. So terrible, yet I've ssen 4 necro decks running them. Decks which do not start with them :negative:

Meh, they are useful for defense. Someone dropped some pod that gives a 2 poison counter if a melee attacks, that sucks. Then again, they also kept dropping something that kept me from targetting their creatures in the row, not attacking them—lols.

Then somehow I lost a match with 8 hp left, which was frustrating because I was starting to gain the upper hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thylacine posted:

Meh, they are useful for defense. Someone dropped some pod that gives a 2 poison counter if a melee attacks, that sucks. Then again, they also kept dropping something that kept me from targetting their creatures in the row, not attacking them—lols.

Then somehow I lost a match with 8 hp left, which was frustrating because I was starting to gain the upper hand.

Ran out of cards, maybe?

• Locked thread