Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
From what I can remember of the tutorial, being forced to draw a card when you've run out of cards just causes you to take damage.

Giving this a bit of a poke. Not sure I'll stick with it, but if you're looking to pad out your friend list you can add me.

IGN: Unorigina1

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yeah, you take 1 damage for every card you "draw" with an empty deck. That's usually how mill decks do their damage.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

Ran out of cards, maybe?

Not this time. I still had 8 hp, when you run out of cards it dings you 1hp per round. I thought I took a screenie, oh well.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

thylacine posted:

Meh, they are useful for defense. Someone dropped some pod that gives a 2 poison counter if a melee attacks, that sucks. Then again, they also kept dropping something that kept me from targetting their creatures in the row, not attacking them—lols.

Then somehow I lost a match with 8 hp left, which was frustrating because I was starting to gain the upper hand.

Same thing happened to me. Lost the match with 13 or 14 HP left. I wasn't out of cards either.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Started to run into some troubles last night against higher ELO players in swiss, and I was hoping some people more experienced with Inferno could give me some deck pointers. Keep in mind this is very much a work in progress and some bits like events I'm really not happy with.

HERO
Garant, Seeker of Discord

EVENTS
Week of Knowledge x1
Celebration x3
Day of Fortune x3
Week of the Weaponsmith x1

CREATURES
Maniac x4
Succubus x4
Demented x4
Hellfire Bloater x4
Pao Deathseeker x2
Juggernaut x4
Cerberus x4
Lesser Fire Elemental x1
Pit Fiend x1
Lilim x3
Ravager x2
Hellfire Slave x3
Pit Lord x1

SPELLS
Fire Bolt x4
Dispel Magic x2
Teleport x2
Town Portal x2

FORTUNES
Gold Pile x3
Altar of Destruction x2
Chamber of Dementia x2
Campfire x2

I need one more Gold Pile, and I want to find a way to squeeze two more Campfires in which might be getting rid of the Chamber of Dementia. Events need a lot of work and I'm in the middle of getting the creatures I want, but I wanted to see if anyone saw any other glaring flaws or things I might want to work towards.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dahbadu posted:

For those that haven't posted the in-game name yet, please do! I need more eFriends!

Make google doc. Post link in OP.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
Here's the thread on the insta-defeat bug:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/688739-BUG-REPORT-Instant-Defeat/page2

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Seems like the servers are crapping out today. I can log in and make decks/do altar stuff but can't actually play a match.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Well, that was a short first time play experience.

Turns out the game didn't give me a starter deck so I can't complete the tutorial. Fine craftsmanship.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Your deck is all over the place. Is it rush, control, mid-range? You have to choose a theme and focus on the strengths of that theme to make a better deck.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tae posted:

Your deck is all over the place. Is it rush, control, mid-range? You have to choose a theme and focus on the strengths of that theme to make a better deck.

Much like most CCGs, this game definitely has a problem where people learn to play but there's no tutorial or real direction about non-janky deckbuilding, so most people (myself included) spend a lot of time playing red_cards_i_own.dec before they learn to actually build a deck towards a goal, or before they have the card pool to support that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bussamove posted:

Started to run into some troubles last night against higher ELO players in swiss, and I was hoping some people more experienced with Inferno could give me some deck pointers. Keep in mind this is very much a work in progress and some bits like events I'm really not happy with.

1) Discard sucks poo poo through a straw. Drop it for additional nuclear homicide.

2) Lesser Fire Elementals and Hellfire Slaves will die a lot because of their low health; there are Necro creatures that kill them outright. Get another Lilim.

3) Celebrations isn't very good when you're wanting to get card advantage. Get more Week of the Weaponsmiths and try for a couple of Week of Taxes and Mana Storms. You won't be playing many spells or Fortunes, so they won't affect you much.

4) Consider Inner Fire. Usually you'll be playing Fire Bolts to make sure you kill a creature rather than to take one down outright, so they effectively function as Bolts 5-8. I play three.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

MrBling posted:

Well, that was a short first time play experience.

Turns out the game didn't give me a starter deck so I can't complete the tutorial. Fine craftsmanship.

My brother just got this as well.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tae posted:

After some more critical thinking about my card choices and a thorough schooling on what I was doing wrong from Jedit (thanks again!) I cut out a lot of the extraneous poo poo I had going on, like the discard, and added in some more useful spells to support what I wanted to do with it. It's looking much more like a rush deck now instead of a... rushed deck. :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Finally got to Level 7, so I picked up the 850 seal pack and the Champion's Box. Ok pulls, but nothing overwhelmingly slam dunk. Unlocked one of the Void sets in the altar.

Redid my lovely Necro deck to be a slightly-less-lovely Necro deck. Fired up my XP/Gold boosts. "Network Failed." :qq:

Toshimo_Kamiya in-game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Finally got to Level 7, so I picked up the 850 seal pack and the Champion's Box. Ok pulls, but nothing overwhelmingly slam dunk. Unlocked one of the Void sets in the altar.

Redid my lovely Necro deck to be a slightly-less-lovely Necro deck. Fired up my XP/Gold boosts. "Network Failed." :qq:

Toshimo_Kamiya in-game.

What 850 Seal pack? I don't see anything in the shop that costs that much.

Don't worry about your Gold/XP boosts. They don't get used until you're awarded the relevant thing or surrender in a game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jedit posted:

Don't worry about your Gold/XP boosts. They don't get used until you're awarded the relevant thing or surrender in a game.

850 seals and 4x Small packs for $14.99.

And I was mildly annoyed because it kicked out a surrender message before the network error so I assumed it ate one of each of my boosts. But it didn't. :unsmith:.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Jedit posted:

He means he bought the pack of 850 seals, not that he bought something FOR 850 seals.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
For those of you who understand the economy in this game are any of the steam packs a good deal? Or would I be better off buying something else like the Champion Box if I'm just starting (and working on a Cassandra rush deck)?

EDIT: Here's a link to the steam page with the packs.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 18, 2013

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.
strangevanilla in-game name for friend-lists.

Started this a week ago based on input from the solforge thread, it's a fun diversion. It really does seem as if a lot of the low ELO players are really bad, I have mostly the inferno starter deck plus a box and there are games I don't even get touched. I really haven't played it a whole lot, but it seems like something I'd be more willing to blow a few bucks on than solforge.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

weird vanilla posted:

strangevanilla in-game name for friend-lists.

Started this a week ago based on input from the solforge thread, it's a fun diversion. It really does seem as if a lot of the low ELO players are really bad, I have mostly the inferno starter deck plus a box and there are games I don't even get touched. I really haven't played it a whole lot, but it seems like something I'd be more willing to blow a few bucks on than solforge.

Yeah, in solforge drafts are gonna be the make or break for me, but I haven't spent money on solforge since the kickstarter/preorder.

Meanwhile I play MMDOC for a week and drop 50 bucks on it because I make poor life decisions. And want sweet sweet wildcards.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I like the campaign mode in this, feels good to have a silly Shalindor type quest between missions. Digging this game a lot, still playing SolForge, not sure I'm getting into Hearthstone yet. I also love how much free stuff you get in Might & Magic.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jedit posted:

1) Discard sucks poo poo through a straw. Drop it for additional nuclear homicide.

2) Lesser Fire Elementals and Hellfire Slaves will die a lot because of their low health; there are Necro creatures that kill them outright. Get another Lilim.

3) Celebrations isn't very good when you're wanting to get card advantage. Get more Week of the Weaponsmiths and try for a couple of Week of Taxes and Mana Storms. You won't be playing many spells or Fortunes, so they won't affect you much.

4) Consider Inner Fire. Usually you'll be playing Fire Bolts to make sure you kill a creature rather than to take one down outright, so they effectively function as Bolts 5-8. I play three.

What's wrong with discard effects? Considering that Inferno's creatures are woefully easy to kill and their removal effects are all terrible, I'd think taking and maintaining card advantage would be really important to being able to beat an opponent. Seriously, if I have room to drop a bunch of extra creatures I feel like I'm already losing, but making my opponent discard a removal card or half his hand with a couple of fortunes when I'm just shy of having board control has won me a few games I should have lost.

Honestly I get the feeling that I don't understand Inferno. Can someone look at my deck and tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I win a decent amount of games but when I do lose I get steamrolled completely. I mostly don't understand what the strategy for the faction is supposed to be. It seems to be board control, but with how low the health of everything is I find that once I lose it it's very hard to get it back.

Hero
Xorm, Champion of the Abyss

Creatures
Maniac x4
Succubus x4
Demented x4
Sea Elf Archer x2
Juggernaut x4
Cerberus x3
Lesser Air Elemental x2
Pit Fiend x3
Lilim x3
Ravager x3
Ur-Khrag Enforcer x1

Spells
Fire Bolt x4
Fire Shield x1
Inner Fire x1
Fiery Rage x1

Fortunes
Gold Pile x3
Chamber of Dementia x1
Altar of Wishes x1
Twist of Fate x2
Hall of Torment x1
House of Madness x1
Chaos Rift x2

Events
Week of Knowledge x1
Celebrations x3
Day of Fortunes x2
Week of the Weaponsmiths x2

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You don't form a general strategy with a faction. Each Hero can vastly play differently, despite being the same faction.

Xorm is a super aggressive deck that uses Fortunes to turbo-accelerate creatures to overwhelm the opponent.

Dhamaria is one of the best control decks in the meta, utilizing the beefy Inferno creatures and powerful spells to wipe the board and keep the hand in check with her effect.

Discard is bad for aggro decks to use because it's all about the early game tempo. If you're casting a Pit of Madness within the first 5 turns, you are losing out on a creature and the opponent is taking 1, 2 or even 3 attacks less from that lost creature.

Your deck is all over the place. You have tons of cards that doesn't actually affect the board and since Xorm starts out with no magic, you end up wasting turns and potential card draw trying to "come back" with cards that don't anything. Discard isn't that great because of DoC's mechanics to recoup cards back easily.

There's some obvious fixes to increase the speed of damage like Dark Assassins, Pao Deathseeker, and Mana Storm. You're also missing Alter of Destruction, one of the few Direct Damage cards in the game and a huge reason to go Inferno rush/Xorm.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
I managed to get the alienware key working, so I have a bunch of cards that I have no idea what to do with. I'm playing inferno, and seem to see-saw between barely winning, and getting absolutely devastated. The biggest problem I'm having right now is that most of the inferno creatures I have are so weak. If the opponent gets some creatures out unopposed, I'm stuck because most of my creatures will die in that row before they get a chance to attack.

In game name is g0del, if anyone wants to friend me for some achievements.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
since I'm basically only able to shell out for new packs whenever I level up, what can I do to bring my deck in order without dropping real cash?

Hero
Sandalphon, Lord of Power

Events
Celebrations x4
Day of the Fallen Wolf x2
Week of the Weaponsmiths x1
Market of Wonders x1

Creatures
Tithe Collector x4
Loyal Griffon x4
Holy Praetorian x2
Expert Marksmen x4
Pao Deathseeker x1
Radiant Glory x4
Sun Rider x4
Wolf Marksmen x2
Warrior Seraph x2
Chosen of Elrath x2
Crusader Treasurer x1
Sahaar Skirmisher x2

Spells
Wind Shield x1
Cold Fear x2
Lightning Speed x1
Storm Arrows x1
Wind Gust x1
Chain Lightning x1
Lightning Bolt x3
Cyclone x4
Icy Weapon x4
Forked Lightning x1

Might: 4
Magic: 6
Fortune: 0

I'm currently 1674 away from the Champions Box

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So I redid my deck and played a bunch of games. I'm sitting a little over 700 ELO right now. Hopefully I can get a bit higher tomorrow.

I'll update the OP tomorrow, warning people of the starter deck bug (which actually happened to me too, but I didn't notice it at the time).

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Oh yeah, on as CynicJester by the by.

Have they said anything about improving the servers?

Also, from earlier in the thread:

thylacine posted:

Meh, they are useful for defense. Someone dropped some pod that gives a 2 poison counter if a melee attacks, that sucks. Then again, they also kept dropping something that kept me from targetting their creatures in the row, not attacking them—lols.

Then somehow I lost a match with 8 hp left, which was frustrating because I was starting to gain the upper hand.

The problem with using purely defensive cards is that they won't win you the game, and creatures also do defense. Even if the creature dies in a turn, that's still the same effect you'd get from one of the single row/line fogs.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 18, 2013

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Earlier this morning the servers were pretty bad (first time I experienced bad performance from the game). When I got back home tonight, it was speedy as ever. Was the bad server performance earlier today a fluke or not?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dahbadu posted:

Earlier this morning the servers were pretty bad (first time I experienced bad performance from the game). When I got back home tonight, it was speedy as ever. Was the bad server performance earlier today a fluke or not?

There were server issues on Sunday evening. Ubisoft evidently fixed them as soon as someone got in on Monday morning.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
It's a little cheap, but those forced discard fortunes Inferno has are good for making an opponent stop and think. And when they have a time limit, well, it makes them trip up.

I like Swiss tournies.

Re: Inferno decks, the best bang for your buck comes from (in my opinion) Juggernauts and Ur-Khrag Enforcers. The former is a poo poo-ton of damage for low cost, and the latter just dominates boards. Opponents will arrange their critters AWAY from your enforcers and willingly take the 4 damage to their hero rather than risk them getting in a good cleavin'.

Something to note is that while Inferno troops have stupendous offensive capabilities, on the whole their HP can be a little lacking. And their best damage soakers are the Lilims, which are back line troops. You can't stall without a massive investment in magic, so just smash them repeatedly with whatever you have and you'll usually come out the victor.

Mirthless posted:

What's wrong with discard effects? Considering that Inferno's creatures are woefully easy to kill and their removal effects are all terrible, I'd think taking and maintaining card advantage would be really important to being able to beat an opponent. Seriously, if I have room to drop a bunch of extra creatures I feel like I'm already losing, but making my opponent discard a removal card or half his hand with a couple of fortunes when I'm just shy of having board control has won me a few games I should have lost.

Honestly I get the feeling that I don't understand Inferno. Can someone look at my deck and tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I win a decent amount of games but when I do lose I get steamrolled completely. I mostly don't understand what the strategy for the faction is supposed to be. It seems to be board control, but with how low the health of everything is I find that once I lose it it's very hard to get it back.

For Xorm, more dudes, less spells. I wouldn't take anything besides Fire Bolt to pop Bloaters for when you get them. You need to be phasing out neutral troops because they (mostly) suck. Twist of Fate, Gold Pile, Chamber of Dementia and Bonfire are all your best friends, and once you've gotten a decent stable of 4+ demons, Reinforcements (and Gate if you can get it, but that's a hard one to get hold of.)

Just keep adding powerful demons to your deck and for god's sake man Xorm doesn't need any pansy rear end spells.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
After I did MMHoMM VI I was still pretty invested in Ashan, so I played it during beta. Haven't played it in a while, but it's a good burner of time.

Stronghold deck myself. Working with Kat but been trying to find ways of working with Kelthor/Acamas. I really like the combination of Earth/Air though.

I also need more Blackskull Drummers.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cryohazard posted:

It's a little cheap, but those forced discard fortunes Inferno has are good for making an opponent stop and think. And when they have a time limit, well, it makes them trip up.

I like Swiss tournies.

Re: Inferno decks, the best bang for your buck comes from (in my opinion) Juggernauts and Ur-Khrag Enforcers. The former is a poo poo-ton of damage for low cost, and the latter just dominates boards. Opponents will arrange their critters AWAY from your enforcers and willingly take the 4 damage to their hero rather than risk them getting in a good cleavin'.

Something to note is that while Inferno troops have stupendous offensive capabilities, on the whole their HP can be a little lacking. And their best damage soakers are the Lilims, which are back line troops. You can't stall without a massive investment in magic, so just smash them repeatedly with whatever you have and you'll usually come out the victor.

For Xorm, more dudes, less spells. I wouldn't take anything besides Fire Bolt to pop Bloaters for when you get them. You need to be phasing out neutral troops because they (mostly) suck. Twist of Fate, Gold Pile, Chamber of Dementia and Bonfire are all your best friends, and once you've gotten a decent stable of 4+ demons, Reinforcements (and Gate if you can get it, but that's a hard one to get hold of.)

Just keep adding powerful demons to your deck and for god's sake man Xorm doesn't need any pansy rear end spells.

I appreciate the advice guys, I dropped a bunch of spells from my deck and rejiggered my fortunes, and now I'm up to 500 elo. I need to expand my creature base before I can add more (I just haven't been getting a lot of Inferno cards and squandered my early wildcards) but I will be buying the big box they're running right now on Friday so that should help a lot.

I did a couple of swiss tourneys this week and I do have to say that Inferno plays straightforward enough for time to come up a lot as your win condition. I won twice to my opponent just timing out trying to figure out how to deal with all my sweepers. It's a weaselly way to win but I like that the swiss tournaments are kept really fast by default. Solforge's turn limits drove me loving crazy because a game that feels like it should play at a blindingly fast pace plays out so slow that you need to run 3-4 games at a time to feel like you're having fun. I never feel like a game is moving too slow in MMDOC.

So, do you guys think Dungeon will be coming in the next expansion? They were always my favorite faction in HoMM. It feels odd for them to not be in when we have Sanctuary, Stronghold and Arcane already.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

After I did MMHoMM VI I was still pretty invested in Ashan, so I played it during beta. Haven't played it in a while, but it's a good burner of time.

Stronghold deck myself. Working with Kat but been trying to find ways of working with Kelthor/Acamas. I really like the combination of Earth/Air though.

I also need more Blackskull Drummers.

Kat is usually OTK or a mix of aggression with fortune cards like Surprise Attack and spells.

Kelthor is a very aggressive deck using its Enrage hero ability to get some free kills but mostly for using its cheap spells in Firebolt and Lightning Strike.

Acamas is more of a creature deck, using standard tactics of Manastorm and the Gold Pile/Campfires to accelerate out the huge Stronghold creatures.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mirthless posted:

So, do you guys think Dungeon will be coming in the next expansion? They were always my favorite faction in HoMM. It feels odd for them to not be in when we have Sanctuary, Stronghold and Arcane already.

Were also missing Fortress and Sylvan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

Were also missing Fortress and Sylvan.

I don't know anything about Heroes of Might and Magic, but the next expansion being Five Towers it makes sense to assume it's Fortress.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Jedit posted:

I don't know anything about Heroes of Might and Magic, but the next expansion being Five Towers it makes sense to assume it's Fortress.

Not sure. Fortress is dwarves, and the fluff for Five Towers sounded more magic-Arab-floating towers like a follow up to Academy stuff.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In game as dinolamp

I'm at around 180 ELO now, using a Necro deck. Earlier I played a match in which the other guy played some kind of egyptian deck, and he kept yelling "Helloooooo, ITS YOUR TURN HELLLOOOOO". As if I couldn't notice it's now my turn, what an rear end in a top hat.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Magic Lamp posted:

In game as dinolamp

I'm at around 180 ELO now, using a Necro deck. Earlier I played a match in which the other guy played some kind of egyptian deck, and he kept yelling "Helloooooo, ITS YOUR TURN HELLLOOOOO". As if I couldn't notice it's now my turn, what an rear end in a top hat.

That's when you use 1:59 for each and every turn just to piss him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Magic Lamp posted:

In game as dinolamp

That sucks. Truthfully, I'm 700 ELO now and I haven't encountered anyone that says something other than "I like your deck" and "gg." However, if others start having bad experiences like this, I hope they'll speak up. I'll remove that blurb in the OP about the community not being awful.

I updated the OP again, adding important info like the missing starter deck bug, and answering additional questions posed in this thread -- e.g. as are the Steam packages worth buying, etc.

I'd like to again thank everyone for their contribution.

• Locked thread