Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My batter didn't ferment. My suspicion is that either it's just too cold in my kitchen (a possibility) or that I didn't have enough of the urad soaking water because I didn't use enough and accidentally poured it out, so I had to supplement it with tap water to get it to the right consistency.

I'm still gonna cook it all up and eat it over the next couple days, it's just not sour and that makes me sad.

What can I do? I put it in my enameled cast iron pot because it's the only container I had that was big enough; could I warm it up on the stove and then shut it off, so it's not hot enough to cook anything but it'll keep it warm for fermenting?

e: Also I've always had the issue of my rice not grinding up as finely as the urad dal. The urad I can get to the consistency of whipped potatoes before adding much water, creamy and perfect, but the rice always has some texture to it. I tried this in a VitaMix and a Cuisinart food processor. The Cuisinart fared markedly better on all fronts because the blender makes it difficult to keep things near the blades due to the dry/sticky texture of the drained stuff and the VitaMix blender jars don't have a removable bottom, so anything that gets under the blades has to be painstakingly scraped and scooped out.

I could just make adai next time, but I want my nice sour fermenty dosa :negative:

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Add a few tablespoon of Cooked rice and grind it though the batter. It'll puff overnight.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I think most people who have posted about making dosa have had to wait a few days for it to ferment so even if the cooked rice doesn't speed it up to overnight then just keep waiting.

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow
Mine bubbles after eight hours in the Florida sun, or ten in the oven with the light on.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mizbachevenim posted:

Mine bubbles after eight hours in the Florida sun, or ten in the oven with the light on.

It's literally the only good thing about florida.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I came home from work and it had puffed up nicely. We'll see how it is in the morning.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I need to cook for some ketogenic buttholes, can I substitute chickpeas or some other type of bean for the rice?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Wachepti posted:

I need to cook for some ketogenic buttholes, can I substitute chickpeas or some other type of bean for the rice?

You're looking for besan puda which is chickpea flour and whatever grated veg you like (carrots, courgettes, squash) and not fermented. It's much quicker to make.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I've made something pretty similar to that before, alright thanks.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Wachepti posted:

If you don't mind the process of soaking stuff, I have a thread on here for adai, which is pretty much soaked beans ground with a tiny bit of rice (for crispiness sake).
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633494
That one also doesn't require a ferment (although it tastes great if you do ferment it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Wachepti posted:

A bit of ajwain seed is good in the batter. As is grated ginger and turmeric. Chickpea flour makes a full, rich tasting pancake, so you can go hardcore on the seasonings as well.

Oh and lots of frying oil for extra yumminess :getin:

• Locked thread