Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Is the AWA documentary the WWE put out any good? Amazon has it on sale for 5 bucks.

Unfortunately no, it's pretty bad. Whoever made it clearly didn't know the history of the glory days, and it focuses mostly on the fall. The Bockwinkel/Hennig match is worth $5 though, and that's not the only match on there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's bad news, but thanks for the quick response. I may as well get the documentary (hey, 5bux).

Can you guys tell me how to start getting the Wrestlerock Rumble out of my head? Rikidozan-chopping myself in the forehead several times hasn't worked.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Halloween Jack posted:

That's bad news, but thanks for the quick response. I may as well get the documentary (hey, 5bux).

Can you guys tell me how to start getting the Wrestlerock Rumble out of my head? Rikidozan-chopping myself in the forehead several times hasn't worked.

This might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG7jTAGliyY

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Now I need to figure out how to get all the episodes of AWA Championship Wrestling from ESPN Classic. It only covers 85-90, but it's better than nothing.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
It's always so daunting to get started with anything these days. Not just wrestling, but comics/games/etc because even if you're given a list, it's often daunting because of the size of the thing. Over in the PSP-TV thread, I try to pick about 2 hours a week of things that are generally good for starting with stuff: lucha, joshi, puro (which runs a wide spectrum), indies.

Trouble is, it adds up. I keep a log of most everything I've run to date that isn't very helpful to anybody else since it has no links. Even if it did have links, like how Ditch's spreadsheet does, a person looking to start would be overwhelmed by hundreds of possible picks even though someone has said "yeah, all these are good."

So I'll try and narrow it down a bit more by naming ONE AND ONLY ONE starting point for the following (I'll edit in links in a second). As it happens, the early 1990s were basically a perfect starting point for lots of things:

Lucha libre: 1994's AAA/IWC "When Worlds Collide." Commentary is in English by a then-newcomer called Mike Tenay who will explain exactly who these people are and how the rules of lucha libre work. It's been 20 years and there's still not a better starting point for it.

Japanese pro wrestling ("puroresu" for short, or "puro" to abbreviate an abbreviation), junior heavyweights: 1994's Super J-Cup, hosted by New Japan Pro Wrestling. It's a junior heavyweight tournaments that feature talent known to WWE fans. Most of the Japanese wrestlers were/are famous and still around today.

Japanese heavyweights: I can't actually recommend an entire show. But I often recommend this match as a starting point: 95-06-09 - Mitsuharu Misawa & Toshiaki Kawada vs Kenta Kobashi and Akira Taue from All Japan Pro Wrestling. All four guys have wrestled each other plenty of times and know how to counter their opponents moves.

Japanese women's wrestling ("joshi puroresu" or "joshi puro" for short): All Japan Women's "Dreamslam I" from 1993 (First half, Second half). Yes, it is a very long show; feel free to just watch the second half (I know the links say Part 2 and Part 3; this is not a mistake on my part, as "Part 1" is all promo/vignettes). The main events are certainly not like anything one would be accustomed to seeing if their idea of "women's wrestling" is solely based on the Divas and Knockouts.

Modern New Japan: it's what all the wrestling nerds are into now, so if you want in on this start with Wrestle Kingdom 7 from 2013. That should get you up to speed with "who's who" as far as top stars and gimmicks. Because they do iPPV now, NJPW takes things down from Youtube so I can't find a link to this show. Wrestle Kingdom 6 from 2012 still shows up though. Many (but not all) of the same people still there today are on that.

Hardcore/deathmatch wrestling: 1995's IWA King of the Death Match tournament. This was the show they would use to get footage from whenever Mick Foley as Cactus Jack would talk about how he'd been blown up, thrown into barbed wire, and so on. Not really my cup of tea, but it's what all the backyarders saw and decided "heck, I can do that!"

Those are some entire shows you can start with. Personally, I don't really watch entire shows at this point as opposed to just individual matches, but were I to recommend just one match for each thing they'd all come from those shows (typically the main or semi-main events).

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 9, 2013

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Daryl Surat posted:

Hardcore/deathmatch wrestling: 1995's IWA King of the Death Match tournament. This was the show they would use to get footage from whenever Mick Foley as Cactus Jack would talk about how he'd been blown up, thrown into barbed wire, and so on. Not really my cup of tea, but it's what all the backyarders saw and decided "heck, I can do that!"
That show is a steaming pile of poo poo made famous only by WWE using clips of it and Foley writing about it. If I had to recommend an entry point for deathmatch wrestling it would be some of the recent BJW title matches, preferrably something in Korakuen that has Kasai or Abby Jr. in it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Illinois Smith posted:

That show is a steaming pile of poo poo made famous only by WWE using clips of it and Foley writing about it. If I had to recommend an entry point for deathmatch wrestling it would be some of the recent BJW title matches, preferrably something in Korakuen that has Kasai or Abby Jr. in it.

Yeah, the only match really worth watching from that show is Funk/Foley. I'd agree that Jun Kasai is probably the best place to start with deathmatch wrestling, because his matches aren't all deathmatch spots, he works in some technical wrestling too.

And Abby Jr is a guy that looks like a fat baby, has a seemingly unlimited gastank, and eats glass. Can't go wrong, really.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

BJW main events own

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
To provide a link, Ito vs Kasai is probably the most hyped of these. It won Tokyo Sports MOTY in 2009, an award that had only gone to NJPW/AJPW/NOAH matches since its inception in 1974.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 9, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I started watching selections from Battlarts recently on a recommendation, and I'm really enjoying Alexander Otsuka - I saw his match with Daisuke Ikeda from 1999 and thought it was awesome. What other stuff involving him should I check out?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So where do I start with guys like Stan Hansen?

Also what are some good Puro matches/events to help me get into puro because Western wrestling is challenging my will to watch man grapples.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also what are some good Puro matches/events to help me get into puro because Western wrestling is challenging my will to watch man grapples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9W-io5xUJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaAMBwAMaCc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1CJtVjZf4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_YrShl3bw

Also NJPW's Dome Show(their Mania equivalent) is coming up on January 9, and should be fun. Ustream carries it.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0jyhPBhVbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVGxSdmRQkI

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

In addition to the Funk AJPW match in '83 with the best crowd signs ever that I before E posted, here's a few recommended to me when I asked the same question in the puro thread.

Hansen vs. Andre the Giant - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp0Wo7hLTIE

Hansen vs. Kobashi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV4hKPlK7fQ

Hansen & Gordy vs. Funks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M94G8t_Qccw

Hansen & Gordy vs. Tenryu & Kawada - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gu72Ireiwg

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I didn't know anything about anybody besides Taka and Liger going in, but I watched the Best of Super Juniors 2012 and really enjoyed it. I'm sure I missed some things, but the matches tell the stories well enough as far as I could tell.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

One of the most physical Stan Hansen matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOYSnhhiU8M

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Where should I start with PRO WRESTLING?

To put it another way, I have friends who are big fans of action and martial arts films, but who are reluctant to give wrestling a shot. What would you guys recommend as the best "Here, watch this and treat it like an episode of a 30 minute shoe where all that happens is one epic fight scene" matches to get people onboard?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny Angel posted:

Where should I start with PRO WRESTLING?

To put it another way, I have friends who are big fans of action and martial arts films, but who are reluctant to give wrestling a shot. What would you guys recommend as the best "Here, watch this and treat it like an episode of a 30 minute shoe where all that happens is one epic fight scene" matches to get people onboard?

Ibushi-Generico-Jigsaw-Nick Jackson 4-way from CHIKARA. It's on YouTube.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
From the wrestlers and company, that sounds like a really well-executed spotfest that's like 20 minutes of finish. Sound about right?

Huh, I wonder if the Unbreakable triple threat is on YouTube. Seems like it'd be a good choice in the same vein.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny Angel posted:

From the wrestlers and company, that sounds like a really well-executed spotfest that's like 20 minutes of finish. Sound about right?

Indeed - the long version is worth seeking out on DVD as the YouTube version doesn't have the entrances or the aftermath

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'll recommend the match that made me a wrestling fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJSfVsKLD4Q

It's a great match, they wrestle like the match is about to end in the next few seconds, and the stip makes it interesting even for newcomers, because it's a storyline unto itself. "If the guy in the mask loses, he needs to take his mask off, which he has never done. If the other guy loses, he loses his title"

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 10, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I showed some friends of mine Goto/Shibata II from Dominion and it went over really well. Neither of them was a wrestling fan (one had watched back in the Hulkamania period, but that was it), but they were super into it by the end, to the point of loudly marking out at the giant world-ending headbutt and the strike exchange towards the end. Afterwards both of them asked to see more and we spent the rest of the afternoon watching some of my lucha collection and some of the G1 Climax (which was ongoing at the time).

So I guess you could try that. There's a slight chance the whole Japanese thing might be an issue but let's be serious, the language of kicks to the head is universal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dragon Gate might also work if they're big action fans, because those matches are hella frenetic (especially the tag and 6 man matches). I might start with the 6 Man from 3/31/06; Dragon Kid & Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito vs. CIMA & Naruki
Doi & Masato Yoshino (ROH Supercard Of Honor).

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I wouldn't show a non-fan Shibata/Goto II if it was as bad as the first one, but I might show them Shibata/Ishii.

As far as Hansen matches go, Hansen vs. Kawada (2/28/93) is in the same league as the Kobashi epic, just more of an out-and-out slugfest and for that reason it has arguably aged even better.

Solomonic posted:

I started watching selections from Battlarts recently on a recommendation, and I'm really enjoying Alexander Otsuka - I saw his match with Daisuke Ikeda from 1999 and thought it was awesome. What other stuff involving him should I check out?

You can't go wrong with any combination of Otsuka, Ikeda, and Ishikawa. Set aside 45 minutes and enjoy the best six-man I've ever seen.

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 11, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

I'll recommend the match that made me a wrestling fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJSfVsKLD4Q

It's a great match, they wrestle like the match is about to end in the next few seconds, and the stip makes it interesting even for newcomers, because it's a storyline unto itself. "If the guy in the mask loses, he needs to take his mask off, which he has never done. If the other guy loses, he loses his title"

Plus it has one of the best finishes I can remember. And Rey is dressed as the Phantom! What's not to like! :haw:

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
So I watched DX vs Jerishow vs Taker/Cena from that MSG Raw a few years back on a whim last night, and it's giving me a hankering for great sub-10 minute matches. Can you recommend me some matches like that? Any promotion will do.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

a retard posted:

So I watched DX vs Jerishow vs Taker/Cena from that MSG Raw a few years back on a whim last night, and it's giving me a hankering for great sub-10 minute matches. Can you recommend me some matches like that? Any promotion will do.

Kevin Sullivan and Cactus Jack vs The Nasty Boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDSeCAaeryE

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Duck of Death posted:

I wouldn't show a non-fan Shibata/Goto II if it was as bad as the first one

The first and second match are entirely different. Go look it up.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a retard posted:

Best 5-minute match of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LqVSPWsO48

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

a retard posted:

Owen Hart vs. 1-2-3 Kid in the 1994 King of the Ring. Featuring bonus Art Donovan confused on commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LqVSPWsO48

EDIT: Damnit Eugene.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Best 5-minute match of all time:

servo106 posted:

Owen Hart vs. 1-2-3 Kid in the 1994 King of the Ring. Featuring bonus Art Donovan confused on commentary.

...woah. :stare:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Taue's retirement reminded me that I've never actually seen a Misawa/Kobashi vs. Holy Demon Army tag match. Where should I begin?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Thauros posted:

Taue's retirement reminded me that I've never actually seen a Misawa/Kobashi vs. Holy Demon Army tag match. Where should I begin?

June '95 is the greatest match ever. So that's my recommendation. If you REALLY want to get the full effect though, you can start back in '92 or so and just work your way forward. Someone like Ditch can probably correct me on this, but I don't think there's a single one that's less than **** quality.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

a retard posted:

The Paul London/Akio series from Velocity deserves an honorable mention. I believe all three matches are under 10 minutes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

a retard posted:

My all-time favorite match is right around 10 minutes. British Bulldog vs. Warlord at Wrestlemania 7.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I rarely watched wrestling in the 90s and when I did, my dad made me watch WWF. Since I never got to watch it as a kid, where do I start with both ECW and WCW? If it's any help, I'm almost a complete newbie to wresting.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

I rarely watched wrestling in the 90s and when I did, my dad made me watch WWF. Since I never got to watch it as a kid, where do I start with both ECW and WCW? If it's any help, I'm almost a complete newbie to wresting.

If you really want to get into WCW, every Tuesday Night I sync WCW Nitro and PPVs at 8 PM Eastern. We're just starting 1997 right now, so you are just in time for nWo Souled Out. As for ECW, someone is actually streaming that most nights on PSP-tv too!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Smoking Crow posted:

1995 is a good time to start. 1996 too, because it has some interesting angles, but a lot more of their talent leaves in 96. Also, for the love of god don't watch the unedited house shows, just watch the TV.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gavok posted:

My all-time favorite match is right around 10 minutes. British Bulldog vs. Warlord at Wrestlemania 7.

This is a good match; those guys are loving huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Smoking Crow posted:

Track down the entire season of ECW Hardcore TV from 1995 - amazing stuff

• Locked thread