Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Factor_VIII posted:

After all, the vanilla game doesn't require the optimization to beat. You can easily beat the game with a suboptimal character, so if someone thinks it will be cool if his PC can turn into a big monster, why not have it as an option.

To be honest I'm betting it's just a designer oversight. Aran Linvail was an original NPC for the video game and even if the PC went on a killing spree at the Shadow Thief headquarters, one would expect the guild to continue to exist. Hell, you get to kill them all if you side with Bodhi anyway so doing so isn't taboo.

As for Drizzt, I think it makes sense he stays alive. All you need to come back from the dead is an ally willing to pony up a bit of cash at a nearby temple and Drizzt has plenty of friends. The PC does it for his companions all the time.

There's actually a cool bit in unfinished business that lets get a quest from the city of Amn to wipe out the thieves guild once you get back from under dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Does Greater Malison stack?

I'm not sure about Greater Malison, and not sure if BG2EE adjusted this but Chain Contingency lets spells stack with themselves when they usually don't. Chain Contingency allows for some cheesy things, with the one I remember most being how it allows Wild Mages to utterly shatter the game at higher levels.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyone got a neat dual wield combination for a Fighter/Thief? I want to still backstab, but I am not going to do Staff of Striking/Staff of Ram on principle. I was thinking dual wielding daggers, but I cannot remember if there was a dagger that gives the +1 APR in BG2 (I think it's actually a wazikasi or something, so scimitar prof?), so maybe just dagger/scimitar or dagger/shortsword.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Rascyc posted:

Anyone got a neat dual wield combination for a Fighter/Thief? I want to still backstab, but I am not going to do Staff of Striking/Staff of Ram on principle. I was thinking dual wielding daggers, but I cannot remember if there was a dagger that gives the +1 APR in BG2 (I think it's actually a wazikasi or something, so scimitar prof?), so maybe just dagger/scimitar or dagger/shortsword.
The Scarlet Ninja-To +3 (sold by Joluv in the Copper Coronet in BG2EE) gives you an extra attack per round. IIRC it's only usable by LN, TN, LE, NE-aligned characters though. It requires a scimitar proficiency to use.

Edit: I wonder what would happen if someone dual wielded that and Belm. Would you get 2 extra attacks?

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 22, 2013

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

One shot killing a dragon with Quivering Palm is pretty hilarious. Good show monk.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
The Ninja-To is only usable by Monks until a thief/bard gets Use Any Item.

I think that, Belm, and Kundane are the only + APR weapons, unless the EE added more.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011
There are gloves that give an extra 1/2 attack per round that are typically restricted to warrior types (which bards and thieves can use with the aforementioned Use Any Item).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Factor_VIII posted:

The Scarlet Ninja-To +3 (sold by Joluv in the Copper Coronet in BG2EE) gives you an extra attack per round. IIRC it's only usable by LN, TN, LE, NE-aligned characters though. It requires a scimitar proficiency to use.

Edit: I wonder what would happen if someone dual wielded that and Belm. Would you get 2 extra attacks?
Yeah the Scarlet is what I was thinking of with the scimitar prof.

In BG2 vanilla they stacked, but it's not something you ever did cause they're kind of mediocre weapons in themselves. The Scarlet is passable at +3 but by the time you can actually wield that in the main hand, there are better weapons that eclipse it over the extra attack.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why can't I access Watcher's Keep in SoA?

cheesetriangles posted:

One shot killing a dragon with Quivering Palm is pretty hilarious. Good show monk.
It's hilarious because Quivering Palm almost never works. loving useless ability. Hooray for the Sun Soul kit.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 22, 2013

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
That's a BG2:EE bug.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

*e whoops

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Poor scaling with level was a serious problem in 2ed and to a lesser extend 3ed D&D as well.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think this solo monk thing is working out pretty well.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
-18 AC. Wow.

Monks are piss weak at low levels, but freakish at high levels. Solo play is a shift from one extreme to another.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

With a few more levels I will also be at 100% magic resistance.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Get yourself a ring of regeneration so that healing is no longer a problem. You can get one in Spellhold or pickpocket one off Ribald Barterman.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Already have ring of Gaxx. Better than a regen ring.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

cheesetriangles posted:

I think this solo monk thing is working out pretty well.

How did you get bracers on that guy? I thought monks were restricted from them.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Warning to anyone who plays games on both OSX and Windows/Linux. I bought BG2 EE on Steam assuming that both my PC and Macbook would run it, in fact I really just wanted it on my Mac, but I was at home on my Windows desktop when I ordered it.

Turns out they're evidently not posting the OSX version on Steam at all but instead on Beamdog (never heard of that) and later the Apple App Store. Meaning I evidently have to buy an OSX specific copy to play it on OSX too.

Kind of lovely, in my opinion. All of my other Windows/OSX games let me play on either system.

vty fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 22, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

John McCain posted:

That's a BG2:EE bug.

Wait what's a BG2EE bug? Because if the EE doesn't let me access Watchers Keep in SoA I'm gonna be pretty loving annoyed.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wait what's a BG2EE bug? Because if the EE doesn't let me access Watchers Keep in SoA I'm gonna be pretty loving annoyed.

You can. I'm currently mucking around in Watcher's Keep.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Some people have an issue with the EE where Watcher's Keep doesn't appear on the map during SoA.

e: it's listed here in the list of known issues

John McCain fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 22, 2013

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

MegaGatts posted:

How did you get bracers on that guy? I thought monks were restricted from them.
Nope. There's even some gauntlets/bracers specifically made for monks. In the Sahuagin city taking a certain side (I never ever remember which one) gets you gauntlets that increase unarmed THAC0 and damage by 4.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

vty posted:

Warning to anyone who plays games on both OSX and Windows/Linux. I bought BG2 EE on Steam assuming that both my PC and Macbook would run it, in fact I really just wanted it on my Mac, but I was at home on my Windows desktop when I ordered it.

Turns out they're evidently not posting the OSX version on Steam at all but instead on Beamdog (never heard of that) and later the Apple App Store. Meaning I evidently have to buy an OSX specific copy to play it on OSX too.

Kind of lovely, in my opinion. All of my other Windows/OSX games let me play on either system.

Kinda your fault for not paying attention, but I sympathize. I'm not particularly impressed with the way Beamdog chooses to sell these games.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Airfoil posted:

Kinda your fault for not paying attention, but I sympathize. I'm not particularly impressed with the way Beamdog chooses to sell these games.

Do you run games on OSX and Windows? I've done it for 2+ years and have never, ever had a game that came out with an OSX counterpart not automatically show up on my list. I didn't even know BG2 had an OSX version because it's gotten to the point where it's been safe to assume that if an OSX/Linux version comes out it'll be available on Steam with its Windows counterpart. I didn't notice it until it showed up in the Apple App store.

I'm surprised they even allow a publisher to split up the game like that. Interoperability and not needing multiple licenses is one of the major strengths of Steam.

I'd say a good 99-100% of these I bought on Windows and can download on my macbook fine.

Just seems really scammy, which is my complaint. If you order it via Beamdog can you install it on both?

vty fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 23, 2013

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Level 34 and done watchers keep before ever paying the money to Gaelan Bayle. I will be at the xp cap before being done with spellhold probably. I think Monk goes from zero to rape machine pretty quickly once you gain a few levels.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Airfoil posted:

Beamdog didn't even want to release on Steam because of the cut that Valve takes from every Steam transaction. Plus there was some contractual hiccup, apparently now fixed, that required the Steam version to get routed through Atari. Beamdog only begrudgingly released on Steam when they realized that people refused to buy the game through the app store or their own proprietary platform.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
As someone who's never played to Spellhold, can someone give me a non-spoiler breakdown of Bodhi vs. the Shadow Thieves? Are the Shadow Thieves supposed to be good versus Bodhi evil? I like the idea of being able to kill both guilds and getting all the loot.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Long story short they're both dicks.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Erm, the shadow thieves are undoubtedly the good option. But it's not like it matters either way.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

voltron lion force posted:

Long story short they're both dicks.

Its basically choosing the least bad of the two options you're presented.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I always thought there was a better path then Shadow Thieves for good characters?

I dunno, maybe I was just content murdering Bodhi, then destroying the Thieves Guild right before I left, leaving them a nonentity.

e: Does BG2EE have the stronghold bug where if you multiclass, you can start up two strongholds?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lesser of two evils kind of thing. There was a G3 mod that actually gave you a choice to have the church take you to Spellhold for truly good characters.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

vty posted:

Just seems really scammy, which is my complaint. If you order it via Beamdog can you install it on both?

Well... any game on the Steam store has the icon of the platforms it supports right on the page.

As I said, though, I basically agree with you. The whole "boo hoo, we didn't want to sell on Steam - evil Atari made us do it" doesn't really wash. And as a consumer, it's not my problem. They should have figured that out before they started asking money for the game.

And, no. Even if you buy it directly from Beamdog, you have to buy a separate license for every platform.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Is it normal/okay to be going into the Nashkel mines with my party all being level 1 except jaheira? It's been a while since I really played bg1.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Rookersh posted:

I always thought there was a better path then Shadow Thieves for good characters?
The Shadow Thieves keep to their deal and never betray you. They can even help you later on in the game if you're a Thief. If you side with Bodhi some good characters, e.g. Keldorn, permanently leave the party in disgust. As others have said they're certainly the lesser evil.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
See, that never made complete sense to me. Since both the Shadow Thieves and Bodhi are undoubtedly evil organizations, there's an argument that siding with Bodhi (being the newer gang with less influence) would introduce enough chaos into the underworld that it would permanently weaken the criminal presence in Amn. If you get the thief stronghold (being an outpost for the Shadow Thieves) you have options of making money off theft, slavery and assassination, so I don't know exactly why they are considered "less evil."

Plus if you side with Bodhi, you eventually kill her anyways, so that's 2 criminal empires you've disrupted

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Factor_VIII posted:

If you side with Bodhi some good characters, e.g. Keldorn, permanently leave the party in disgust.

This is pretty much all I needed to hear. Keldorn's great, and I would hate to lose him.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You can join Bodhi with Keldorn, just keep him far away from the conversation so he won't hear it. He won't complain during any of the tasks you perform for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

LibbyM posted:

Is it normal/okay to be going into the Nashkel mines with my party all being level 1 except jaheira? It's been a while since I really played bg1.

Its ok I'd say, but that probably means there's a lot of wilderness you haven't explored yet. There's a lot of good loot out there! I'd think most players have at least level 2 on everyone by the time they get to the mines, but its not too hard anyways.