Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I remember playing Baldur's Gate and not really caring for it, whereas playing Torment was fantastic, and I played Icewind Dale II and just going hog wild breaking the system as hard as I could. There were some pretty broken things you could do, by making a party of level 1 casters on Heart of Fury and using summon monsters to get zillions of experience because you were level 1 adventurers taking on groups of level 20 goblins and winning (since your summoned monsters also scaled up to 20).

Even more insane was saving/reloading during the 'only one person may attempt the trials' thing, since your PCs sort of became NPCs and would get huge, huge bonuses upon the reload, so you could somehow wind up with a top level Sorcerer with 200 levels of Monk letting them scream across the map at light speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

I think IWD has Heart of Fury mode too. I've never tried it, though I kinda want to. I'm pretty sure HOF mode is intended for a party that has already beat the game though.

From what I've read tackling IWD2's HOF mode involves gimmick builds with super high ac or abusing the fact that summoned monsters scale just like the enemies do therefore even level 1 summons on HOF mode are really strong.

Yeah, I took level 1 sorcerers into HoF mode and let the level 1 summons to all the work, get to invisibility/mirror image asap and get to around level 26, taking a level in other caster classes -- specifically due to the hilarious bug later on in the monastery that lets your PCs get treated as NPCs (giving them the HoF boost) and then getting around 255 levels in Monk or Barbarian with huge movespeed, tons of HP and stats, and access to Raise Dead. It's pretty great!

e: Oh yeah, Animate Dead. Haha Animate Dead is just so fantastically broken on HoF mode.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 8, 2014