Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Wizard Styles posted:

Side note, it's surprisingly hard to find decent pictures of old fantasy witches, it's either green-skinned Oz/fairy tale crones or, well, sexy girls with pointy hats.

I had that exact problem when trying to find a suitable picture to represent a player's character in MapTool a while back. I found googling "crone" actually got much better results than googling "witch", although it still took a bit of sifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Kavak posted:

I don't know if that was a thing in 2nd Edition. Neverwinter Nights killed you at 0 HP rather than -10, too.

2e had an optional rule in the book to let characters fall unconscious at 0 and die at -10, and a lot of groups used that (enough that it became standard in 3e), but the default was that at 0 you were dead.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 25, 2016

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

H13 posted:

Also, Dual Classing feels weird from a character perspective.

It'd be the wrong order but imagine Dualing FROM Mage to Thief at like level 9.

What, so your character magically forgets how to cast magic missile overnight but suddenly he can SORT OF pick a lock if he's lucky. Then 1 De'Arnise keep later, he can suddenly throw a shitload of fireballs again AND now he's good at picking locks. It's a bit dumb.

In tabletop AD&D, a dual-class character can use abilities from their previous class, but they don't gain any experience in any encounter where they use their previous class's abilities until their new class is at the same level; the idea is supposed to be that they're trying to learn a completely new way of adventuring, and falling back on their old skills before they've mastered the new ones will interfere with that. I won't say it's not silly at all, and it definitely makes things weird from a balancing perspective, but there's at least some attempt at logic behind it. It probably would have made things unnecessarily complicated to implement it that way in computer games, though.