Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
You kids and your Internet guides. I played through bg2 before I started using the internets but I missed out on almost nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
With bg2EE just released I've aborted a small party f/m/t run. Now I want to run all the new character so what would work ok with that kind of party? I really enjoyed the sneaky backstab then invis to backstab again of the f/m/t, so something along those lines might be good

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Baron Bifford posted:

Does Greater Malison stack?

Not with itself but you can stack up with doom

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

jBrereton posted:

I've heard this is the case, but why?

Does it mean you get Druid spells alongside your Cleric ones from the off or something?

Yep.

E: what's the deal with dorn's bg2 quest? Do you get to turn him good? How does that affect his class?

the fart question fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 22, 2013

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Can you backstab from sanctuary?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Factor_VIII posted:

Vampires are ambulatory corpses that feed on the living.

Yes but is it okay to gently caress one

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Hahaha I am ridiculous! I'm suffering from serious indecision with my class - I'd like something that synergises with thief for those sweet HLAs and I enjoyed a bit of sneaking about and backstabbing in my aborted (due to BG2 EE release; I want a fullish party for the new NPCs) F/M/T run. At the mo I'm thinking maybe something cleric since it's the missing class, but does cleric/thief have any synergy? Please help save me from myself!

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Factor_VIII posted:

I'd say it depends on what kind of party are you thinking of using. How many characters and what type of classes. Your PC could be a Wizard Slayer with the minimum stats possible and still finish the game with no problems if you have a decent party.

Edit: I've never used a Cleric/Thief, but the game doesn't really need a dedicated Cleric or Thief, so I don't see why it couldn't work. Your character could be the party's utility character, healing, buffing and taking care of locks and traps. Plus, you could set traps. Also, I suspect that Sanctuary will work really well for sneaking around and disarming traps or opening doors, since enemies ignore you and it isn't dispelled by opening doors or containers like Invisibility.

I'll be using all the new characters, so that's a Blackguard, Thief, Sun Soul Monk and Wild Mage (although Dorn's quests sound so murderous I wouldn't be surprised if the monk gets upset). The last few times I played the games I used a Barbarian, Kensai/Thief(or mage, I forget which) and Wild Mage. As the protagonist I guess I'd prefer to do the killing than the buffing so I might end up with Viconia for cleric duties if I don't take it.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
So what sort of fun stuff can you do with use any item, bar the obvious getting past the kensai (and wizzard slayer?) disadvantages?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Hey, so with EEkeeper, does giving a kit to a multiclass work properly?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

zedprime posted:

Is it Mislead that gives you the body double that gives you invisibility until your illusion is dead? So a mage/thief can back stab repeatedly during it?

Mages make everything better in BG2.

I got halfway through a F/M/T small party playthrough before Bg2EE and used that just once; it felt too cheesy.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Any tips for Dragomir's tomb? Drago keeps kicking my rear end and I can't really seem to get him to an injury state higher than Barely Injured. :pwn:

My party consists of my Fighter main character, Minsc, Jaheira (cursed), Anomen, Hexxat and Korgan. We're level 10-11ish.

You badly need an arcane caster. Ditch minsc, korgan or Jaheira and pick up either neera or Edwin.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Nation posted:

I need help with my solo F/M/T in BG2 - Greater Werewolves are kicking my rear end fiercely on the way to Firkraag what is the best way to deal?

I know i can handle the dragon but hosed if i can beat the 5 werewolves and pals outside his door.

Improved werewolves from the tweak pack turns them into real monsters. Maybe you used that?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Christ on a bike, the Neera quest and 'chatter' in BGEE is so utterly awful. I like having a wild mage in the party but I'm not sure it's worth having to put up with the bad writing. Does it get better after Adoy the wild mage and his goblin friends?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

sebzilla posted:

Imoen was named after a PnP character, who was in turn named after a girl called Neomi who the guy had a crush on.

That explains a lot. Ug.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm not sure that it does, since she basically has no personality in BG1 :v:

And since they planned to kill her in BG2

If anything it begs more questions!

NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cripes:

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Dillbag posted:

If by better you mean that's the end of her quest until BG2:EE, then yes.

This does not bode well for my 'all the new characters' playthrough.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

TehGherkin posted:

That still doesn't make any loving sense though, I mean if you smash someone in the head with a warhammer, that's going to draw a little blood.

Religions don't make sense shocker.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Mickey McKey posted:

I am undecided about what to do in the Sahuagin city. Any particular way that is better in terms of XP or loot? I dont even need details, just a general idea. I am leaning helping the rebels because I'm pretty rich at this point and I figure I'll earn more bonus XP via aiding the rebels.

Work for the exiled prince then kill him at the end for extra loot!

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
So what's a good weapon combo for a clanger? Other than the usual Flail of the ages/Crom Faeyr, is there anything interesting?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The good path for Trademeet has the Heroes of Trademeet note for a reason. There's gold, XP and rep gains in the followup quests for you too, which the evil route locks you out of completely. And statues of yourself are cool, yo.

even evil guys should think the statues are cool

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Going back to the earlier discussion about Fighter/Mage multiclass being better than Kansai/Mage dualclass, doesn't the former have very limited HLA slots? If things like Whirlwind Attack/Hardiness/etc are such game-changers aren't they somewhat weakened by only having 5 slots for fighter HLAs before hitting the XP cap? And even then you wouldn't get HLAs at all until a long way into ToB. Plus you only get 3 slots for Mage HLAs.

gently caress the xp cap, I like levelling up too much to leave it in.
e: I think you get to choose whatever HLA you want, not just the class that levels up. Plus there's only really two killer mage HLAs - improved alacrity and dragons breath.

the fart question fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 29, 2013

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Anyone experienced a bug where Rancor just kinda stops working for Dorn? I think it started when a Nereid killed him but he hasn't gotten the THAC0 bonus from a kill in ages.

Yup seems to have stopped working for me about half way through bg.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Are the bonus merchants in BG2ee?
e: and does the tweak pack exp cap remover work in ee?

the fart question fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 4, 2014

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Christ why don't you just wait until you can kill it or avoid it?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
So the EE writers are not native english speakers, right?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

inscrutable horse posted:

The EE storylines aren't fantastic, I'll admit, but there's no need to disparage their English skills.

Full stops are not a substitute for commas and semicolons.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Hey so where's all the trademeet merchants gone? I need to pickpocket them (EE, finished trademeet quests).

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

homeless poster posted:

Is it night time or did you finish the trademeet / druid feud the evil way? Either of those things make the merchants go away. If you did the town quest and resolved it "correctly" and it isn't night time, then you might need to just edit whatever gear you wanted onto your characters.

Well I never! In all the times I've finished this I don't think I've noticed that those merchants are away at night.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

OregonDonor posted:

Hi thread. I'm on my first playthrough of BG2, in chapter 2 I believe, and I just got Jaheira's curse cured. My party consists of charname (fighter), Minsc, Jaheira, Anomen, Nalia, and a modded-in Kivan. Aside from having the most annoying party banter, I'm having a hard time defending against disabling spells, like chaos, stun, confusion, etc. Anomen and Jaheira each have one copy of Chaotic Commands memorized, and I usually buff the party with "Remove Fear" before fights, but is there a more efficient/useful way to protect against those sorts of attacks? Oh, they also both have dispel magic, but it doesn't seem to work against certain spells. Any and all advice would be appreciated--I'm really enjoying the game, but I've hit a bit of a roadblock with this.

Get nalia to remember a few breaches to help batter mages before they can do anything too nasty; it strips off protections like stoneskin and protection from magical weapons.

I often find insect plague is too slow to prevent mages from getting something nasty off - blasting with elemental arrows as soon as you see them can help interrupt casting.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Full maturity might just mean attaining a certain beard length or something.

I feel bad for posting that.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Anyone got any ideas with regards to my Jaheira romance problem? It's not happening at all as far as I can tell - the only global variables I have are:

derminappear (some high number)
jaheiraromance (less high)

no value for lovetalk or jeheiraromanceactive

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

You wouldn't happen to be a half-orc would you

Why yes! Is Jaheira racist?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
gently caress, kickin that bitch to the kerb.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Most people in Faerun aren't going to find a half orc attractive. They are kinda butt ugly.

Viconia is the exception because she's really into super ripped dudes.

God drat racist assholes. I only wanted to do the quest for the stuff with Bohdi.

On that note, what happens with Hexxat if you go through with the romance?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Hey so what fun things can you do with contingency? I've never bothered using it before but I'm not above turning Edwin into some sort of suicide bomber or something

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
So my text has bugged out when I get the option to take the Ranger stronghold. Anyone know offhand which text option I need to take (like 1,2,3 or 4)?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Factor_VIII posted:

I had the same problem, though I can't remember which one it was (maybe the bottom one?). One of the options gives you the stronghold though. Save the game before choosing and check your journal after picking it to see if you were given the stronghold.

It was the third option - did your dialogue have stuff about Raelis Shai?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Factor_VIII posted:

Yes. Looks like it was the same bug.

Yup, that was exactly what I got. The only mod I'm using is the latest tweak pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Dillbag posted:

FYI most dialog, item description or item addition options in the tweak pack will break dialog and descriptions throughout the game. I don't think it has been updated for EE. Item stacking works, but not much else.

I think the only component I used that might have affected it would be the fatigue removal from restoration spells, if the description is changed.