Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rascyc posted:

[e]Honestly Valygar gets a bad rap but he is perfectly playable (doesn't his weapon inflict poison/bleeds too? This should ignore stoneskin IIRC so yeah). For most hated NPC in the game I reserve that for Cernd, the Shapeshifter.

Back in the say before everything was documented as solved as it is now, on the old Black Isle message boards Valygar users were present but regarded as weird.

By pure instinct everyone avoided Cernd. I think someone asked about his NPC quest once and noone was really sure about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Furism posted:

Just wanted to say, last night I finished going through Dragon's Eye in IWD. People who complain about Dragon Age's Deep Roads being a drag don't know what they're talking about. I try to rest as little as possible but not being able to rest at all in the last two levels, now that was something else.

PS: It was great, don't get me wrong.
Second last level there's a party locked in the closet who can watch over you while you rest. Alternatively if your problem is actually fighting on the level, be meat shields with the tradeoff they will steal your experience and might die preventing you from resting while clearing out the next level without retreating all the way back to the second level.

The dungeon delving only gets deeper (or taller for a moment) from there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MegaGatts posted:

Depending the room you're trying to attack there's a nasty dude in one that has a killer bow. Tossing out a web can severely reduce their murdering. Toss a web, load up with bows yourselves and start plinking away. Your reward for this is an awesome bow.
When all else fails, IWD is the cast Web game.

By the time stuff is hardly affected by web you can cast Death Fog and Spike Stones at a chokepoint if there's ever a battle you just want to skip entirely.

Furism posted:

Yep that's where I've been resting (it's on the third level out of four). But they are pretty much at the end of the level, unless you already know they're there, so I didn't find them until late. The real problem is the 4th level with all the Elite Whatstheirname and their freaking +2 arrows.

I think my tank is not very good either - I'm not half as good as people here for ADD 2.0 rules. He was level 6 or 7 Paladin by then, with -3 AC. He took a lot of damage, even with the Protection from Missiles buff so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
-3 is kind of bad at that point in the game but that is probably the games fault instead of yours since the loot is semi randomized. With some lucky drops a shield wielder can be near -10 by that point of the game. But those archers are ace loving shots and will pin cushion someone even at that AC so it doesn't help as much as hard crowd control like web and chromatic orb.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As much as I love IWD I never made it through IWD2 and I am thinking of starting up again. All the character creation guides are huge treatises on 3e rules. Is it possible for anyone just to describe what to or not to do for the various member archetypes in general terms so I don't feel like the character guide is playing my game for me?

vvvvvvvvvvv
e. I've got the general idea down, just wondering about major non negotiables like hardiness is a trap and spell casters should take X meta magic and spell pens but not even think about y. I guess that's slightly different for everyone but in the internet guides its all hidden in detailed character builds instead of summary broad strokes.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 8, 2013

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A fighter hitting for 15 3 times every turn is a monster force you will never notice cause its happening so fast with little effort on the players part. A thief backstabbing for 45 once per round looks super impressive and takes the players attention making it somehow more interesting even though its a fraction of what a front line tank can do.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dillbag posted:

A thief with a good staff that gibs the opposition spellcaster for 150+ damage before the fight even starts beats your fighter who can't connect because of the mage's protections every time.

:smuggo:

At that point anyone can gib anyone given the right build, and that mage will either have 3 more mage friends whose contingencies just fired, or is actually a dragon with 500hp.

I'm on your side though more or less. Thieves are another tool in your kit if you have the patience and I've never been able to bring myself to play without one no matter what the numbers say.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is it Mislead that gives you the body double that gives you invisibility until your illusion is dead? So a mage/thief can back stab repeatedly during it?

Mages make everything better in BG2.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The trick to IWD is a majority of party members being a flavor of fighter, plus one or two people who can cast area denial spells like grease, web, entangle, spike stones, so on. Throw a bard in if you don't mind waiting for regen instead of casting cleric spells.

Everybody is an archer because its infinite rerolls until everyone has 18 dex for AC if not attack. The biggest reason not to have 4 fighters, a druid, and a mage is there isn't enough good loot for all those fighters.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SheepNameKiller posted:

IWD2 has the best mechanics of any of the infinity engine games and I'm actually sad that they couldn't just port both BG games directly into the IWD2 engine for the enhanced editions. IWD1's mechanics are not as well aged but the game is good. Still, if IWDEE comes out and isn't using IWD2's character mechanics it'll be a huge waste of time.
The mechanics are different enough they'd probably need to redisgn every encounter if it was going to feel right. That's approaching new game scope at that point.

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, I *really* don't like how IWD1 keeps throwing enemies at you that are basically immune to specific things. You can't go anywhere in the second dungeon without enchanted poo poo to deal with all the Ghasts. Having a melee party will gently caress you trying to fight the Ice Salamanders and their passive chill crap. It tends to railroad you into one specific course of action.

If you spread your weapons out right if you have a melee heavy party nothing lives long enough for a salamander aura to be a problem by the time you reach Dorn's.

Fruits of the sea posted:

People keep on bringing up the Icewind Dale as having great combat and I don't agree entirely. The encounters are crafted really well, but that's largely because the game is linear and can be balanced around XP progression. You lose a lot of flexibility in terms of party composition and character builds compared to BG1 and 2. I've never actually finished Icewind Dale because I always end up bored of the standard party and experimenting with goofy tactics is punishing.

Those are some interesting observations. Not sure if it was done on purpose, but it's fun to pick up on new details in a game after all this time.
Alt parties no good? You're talking about the one IE game where its actually worth it to take pure druids and non kitted bards, or a fighter heavy party.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think its a case of 2e being a lot of half baked house rules they expected folks to tweak to their own tabletops but ended up being absolute because it is what is written in the books.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cythereal posted:

It's the Catholic Church during the Middle Ages. Making sense to modern eyes was rarely on their agenda. See also: banning use of the crossbow against Catholics because it was inhumane (read: allowed peasants with a week of training to kill wealthy knights with decades of training). Dungeons and Dragons picked it up and ran with it for clerics.
Where the crossbow thing is a matter of legal record, the church preferring maces seems entirely apocryphal and a clever story made up for depictions of a few religious figures with maces, completely ignoring all the depictions of religious figures with other weapons.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TehGherkin posted:

I'm thinking maybe I should've taken a ranger, at least he'd be better at shooting stuff, my bard can't even cast spells, he has the slots, and he can memorize them, he just can't cast them.

I think I remember reading earlier that fighter levels past 4 are pointless, is that true? My fighter's 4 at the moment and kicks a bunch of butt with the Lucky Scimitar, I wouldn't know what to dual him to anyway.
Take your bards armor off. Fighter levels past 4 is an IWD2 thing, fighter's own in IWD1.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

oswald ownenstein posted:

In one of those medieval weapons shows they found that the flail was pretty worthless in most situations and not at all a good combat weapon
Flails are peasant improv farming implement weapons who's claim to fame is they could dismount a rider slightly worse than a pikeman who knew what he was doing. Flanged maces were purpose made to wreck rich assholes' armor.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Depends how many side quests you save until after Spellhold. IIRC not only are most of the contingencies after that point illegal in the base rules, you can't even cast them in your party.

Its not a huge complaint since its balanced in a way but returning to the original conversation starter its a taste thing on either end of the conversation since wizard duels take about as much thinking as the horde and crowd control battles in IWD1&2, but on different wavelengths.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

voltron lion force posted:

There's a text size option baked into the widescreen mod iirc.
I think you need separate font hacks, someone linked in the past couple pages.

But I've always been partial to windowed mode because there isn't much more than 1024x768 pixels worth of things happening in vision at once and I've always been the sort to not maximize if I don't need to.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

fong posted:

Once you get Summon Planetar you just need to sick them on any dragon in SoA and the dragon will be dead in 5-10 seconds because of their vorpal effect. They didnt bother making anything immune to vorpal effects in SoA~
Even before HLAs existed the safest way to take on a dragon was to distract it with a bunch of chaff summons while you reduced magic resistance, stacked Malison, and cast one of the save based instant kill spells.

I think it is you can stack Malison and Greater Malison and then it will statistically connect more often than not.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MUMMYMTN posted:

In BG2, apart from a few timed quests and random chance of monster encounters, there's absolutely no penalty for resting, right? I could rest for days at a time in a dungeon with no drawbacks?

edit: Good lord, I forgot how many spells were in this game.
Days elapsed is a direct measurement at how good you are at the game, and thus life. And there's a bit of narrative dissonance if you go way overboard (although I just got back to ToB and they started writing in some of that stuff I guess after seeing how much people rest for maximum spells) But otherwise rest as much as you want.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At the lower range I think the games cheat via minimum stats required for a class but at its base its the popular 4d6 drop the lowest stat gen. I forget all the math to do anything rigorous but an Excel simulation says its about a 1 in 1 trillion chance to get all 18s.

e. if its just 3d6 then as below even less chance vvvvvvv

zedprime fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 18, 2014

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

JustJeff88 posted:

I was referring to 1, thanks... I worded my question ambiguously. Fair enough - I don't think that I'll go that route, then. I want to have access to the full druid spellbook and the full cleric spellbook, but pure druids still aren't great in Icewind Dale, so I think that I'm going to pull a Jaheira and go F/D, or possibly dual-class.

Again, I know sod all about IWD1... do you really need a rogue? I honestly don't want one - certainly single class and not really dual/multi either. Bards could fill in admirably for one in IWD2 handling traps and locks, but 2nd edition doesn't work that way and I don't know enough about this game to know if I can really get through it without at least a half a rogue. I would definitely want a bard no matter what as they are brilliant in IWD1 provided that Heart of Winter is installed. Opinions appreciated by those more experienced.

Now that I think of it, a druid/rogue would make for a loving sweet multiclass. Pity that it's not an option, but I could see it being a great dual-class option.
The rule of thumb to really bend over IWD is to dual from or multi class everything possible with fighter. But that can get mechanically boring and isn't anywhere necessary.

So with that said, pure druids are better mages than mages are with the expansion - spell casters are really there to cast movement impedance area of effects and druids get the ones that do damage as well as slow stuff a lot earlier than mages. I've always been a fan of the druid and mage working in concert to just stop everything in their tracks a few times a day.

A thief is almost entirely replaced by a cleric casting detect traps. A fighter/thief is solid enough if you want to check off the trap removal checkbox and remove any doubt, there's places that will have you tap dancing to avoid or blowing healing spells early if you don't have removal but nothing game stopping.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Wolfsheim posted:

[...]True neutral human druid with a dot in large swords (scimitars) and missile weapons. Not sure what to do with her yet but every time someone mentions IWD they say druids are OP so what the hell.

[...]

I've only tried combat a little bit and got two-shot by like eight orcs coming at me at once in a cave, but I'm not sure if that's a byproduct of Level 1 D&D or me actually making bad decisions.
This is potentially related although the mage will have some tricks too. IWD's encounter design is often centered on hordes of things so crowd control can be invaluable. At spell level 1 druids have entangle which can help manage the horde so you are only taking on a few at a time.

Mages have Sleep which can also help out with these early encounters.

If you don't have the encounters memorized scouting ahead with that fighter/thief will also be really useful to judge exactly what you're about to pull and decide whether you need those crowd control spells or can save them for another fight, since the opportune time and place for the AOE ones like entangle are at the edge of the fog of war right after or even during the pull.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Furism posted:

Cool, thanks!

I literally just learned that I'm at the end of the game. My Paladin tank is 11, my R/C is 12 and my Bard is 15. I didn't go for a proper 'completionist run', and it's my first run in that game, but I'd say I completed a lot of the content.
You still got an expansion to go if you're interseted.

JustJeff88 posted:

Speaking of IWD1, that's the one Infinity game that I know very little about. Assuming normal difficulty and a party of 6 single-class characters, and being aware that character advancement is uneven in 2nd edition rules, about what level can I expect my sextet to be after doing a completionist run of the whole GOG version of the game (base + HoW & TotL)?

Also, could someone explain to me how the expansion content is accessed? I'm honestly not sure if it's post-game, a specific point mid-game, or if it's whenever you want but it's better to be a certain level, etc

My last save shows 2.5m, which translates to level 16-20 ish for most classes.

Expansion content is accessible before the base game end boss by talking to a dude in town, or by importing a save of a completed game. Expansion monsters are pretty beefy so especially if its your first time its probably a good idea to do it after the final boss of the base game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you aren't afraid of a bit of cheese, Chromatic Orb for a level 1 spell is potentially overpowered against single target big bosses. At a certain point it turns into a single target instant death spell with the downside of a +6 bonus to the targets save. Combined with Greater Malison and the sheer volume of orbs you can throw being a level 1 spell, it isn't really a downside and if it isn't immune to death its probably going to die before you run out

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Good to know.

I asked earlier about time/chapter sensitive quests in baldur's gate 1, are there any in 2? I would assume if anything gets cut off its probably once chapter 4 starts.

A few companion quests are. None of the larger quests are except I think Nalia will leave your party to meet you at her keep if you wait a super long time.

I think Chapter 4 pauses the quest real time timer so even if you have one open they won't leave your party or fail in the middle of the story portion of the game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

John McCain posted:

The widescreen mod can run at essentially any resolution and has an option for windowed or fullscreen.

Unless GoG fixed it the PST renderer is hacked enough that you need a wrapper as the normal wide screen mod can't force windowed. There should be records of which people used to use because prior to GoG you needed a wrapper just so spell effects wouldnt crash the game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There was no Cha-based Sorcerer casting from 3.0 to port over. 3.0 came out out in August/September 2000; BG2 came out in September 2000.
The barbarian and monk were as 3.0 as was possible in 2e and BG2 was a WotC owned thing so there's no reason to believe the designers didn't have a copy of the beta.

Int doesn't really do anything for mages either beyond scribe chance and spell book size (I don't think level restrictions were ever implemented for low int?) so the more likely story is that sorc spells were as well represented as mage spells.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Furism posted:

What's the deal with False Ponab at the end of IWD? First I thought I needed to have one of the skeletons down in order to kill one of his images, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Now I'm done to one image left that just keeps teleporting and regenerating back to full life. The skeletons don't stay down, and don't seem to change target - no matter how many time my rogues put them down, once they get back up they go back to my mage.

One of the images is actual Pomab and killing him ends the whole encounter. If you hadn't yet take all the DPS off the crystal constructs to target him. If that wasn't working, sounds like scripting broke or something.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vigilance posted:

Iirc the first thing that happens when that fight starts is Belhifet casts a dispel on you. As soon as that dispel has finished hitting you, pause and do some buffing. At the very least haste your party. Try to distract one or both of the iron golems with summons. Focus fire Belhifet down, or focus fire the golems down one at a time and then Belhifet.

Belhifet is the only one you have to kill to beat the fight so you don't even necessarily have to kill the golems, but it might help if you're having too much trouble tanking with the three of them beating you up.
Also several cobble stones have dispel traps so if you have disarming it can be a big help to take care of those while your buffs are casting. There's not a whole lot armor class will do for you so focus on DPS boosting buffs, and any absorbance ones you may have.

IIRC iron golems fart cloudkill which kills low level summons so use undead. You can potentially kite whatever you aren't focusing down to save on some damage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Base game Shadows of Amn, the hardest part about mages is Improved Invisibility so some source of see invisible is the key. Best NPC for this is Keldorn since he casts his True Seeing innate at twice his level. Second best is Haer Dalis once he gets high enough to cast True Sight since bard spell caster levels make their removal spells super awesome, if a little late coming. Once Improved Invisiblity is gone, any npc spellcaster can cast breach to remove any spells that will prevent you from doing damage to the enemy mage.

TOB gets slightly more ridiculous with spell protections that you need to take care of in addition to Improved Invisibility to make vulnerable to breach. The overkill method is to make an npc mages first level 9 spell Spellstrike. The alternative is tactical applications of True Sight and Khelben's Warding Whip/Ruby Ray of Reversal to make them vulnerable to breach.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I just feel like the fact that you can rest after pretty much every encounter makes any spell management/health management kind of useless as one can simply heal up after every battle.

Stopping that is a more rewarding difficulty boost than the slider can offer you. The game seems balanced around a minimum of resting while allowing it everywhere to not frustrate DnD novices.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

KingKapalone posted:

How am I supposed to know in BG2 that I have to use acid or fire to kill a troll on the ground? There's no monster info sheet or anything. I just had to look it up.
Page 34 in the manual.

Suspicious posted:

The loading screen, that thing that appears for only a split second on a modern computer, will randomly inform you about how to finish trolls off.

It's a 15 year old RPG. Back then they didn't tell you much. Absolutely nothing tells you about how liches and raksashas are immune to spell levels 1 through 5 either, which is in my opinion a far worse omission.
Rakshasa, also page 34 and slightly ambiguous. I'll have to concede the lich.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Arivia posted:

Speaking of Icewind Dale, I'm running through it for the first time. Do I need to go and do the Heart of Winter stuff at some point during presumably Chapter 7 like ToTSC, or is there some way to do it after completing the main campaign like with ToB?

Additionally, I'm assuming I shouldn't worry about level-capping out on my first play through since Heart of Fury mode is essentially a New Game+, right?

The expansion can be done during the main game at any point before the point of no return involving turning in a full set of badges. It can also be started with the end of game save. I like the latter so as to not make the original end boss a joke.

Related note, Luremaster must be done before the point of no return involving storming an island hideout. There's no preset way to load directly in but in a pinch you can load your party into a new HoW game with your end of game save and go directly to the Luremaster if you miss it.

I think its even tough to level cap in a HoF game but you have the right idea.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Once you get the basics down of IWD, the mid to late game difficulty is dependent on the RNG giving you the good loot. Not that the bad loot makes the game hard, but the good loot can make it a lot easier.

JustJeff88 posted:

Without any outside mods, WCotS only works during combat for the obvious reason that infinite out-of-combat healing is broken as gently caress. There are mods that make it work all the time, but the tradeoff for free 3HP per round group regeneration is that your bard can't do anything else and you have to be in combat, so presumably taking damage or in peril in some way.
IWD1 it works all the time. After a bard gets war chant you will end up resting for fatigue more often than anything else if you have a good handle on spell rationing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Skippy McPants posted:

How to make IWD (or any IE game, really) easier.

Step 1: Bring More Mages.

That said, I liked how combat puzzlie the fights in IWD and IWD 2 tended to be. It swarmed you with so much massive stuff that positioning and skill usage were fairly important. Also, Mages in those games never reached quite the ludicrous peak they did in BG, where past level fifteen or so you were an immortal murder god.

IWD1 is kind of unique in that with all the best drops, an all fighter party is hard to argue against. But in normal circumstances there aren't enough weapons. And anyway that's super boring.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Taear posted:

In other news I played IWD1 through recently, installing from my original disks. The game was vaguely sped up because it was running on a PC that didn't really exist when it was out and it was pretty amazing. Then I tried IWD2 and it essentially didn't work. For some reason at random times it chugs and it makes it impossibly annoying to play. I don't see why the first game would run so well and the second so badly!
I think they bent the engine over backwards to make cool things happen with the graphics drivers of the time combined with an old janky engine. The result of which being they used a lot of hacks that were fine with hardware and software of the time but just break things on anything modern. I forget what the non-gog solution is, I think there might be a patch to make software rendering work better? Or it might just work out of the box?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Wolfsheim posted:

Having played through a good chunk of IWD: throwing web, entangle, then that Druid spell that causes spikes to come out of the ground for tiny amounts of ongoing damage while you just pepper enemies with arrows and have your tank melee anything that makes it through was the best option in at least 80% of the game's encounters.
Last 19% of encounters: throw Death Fog into the above mix. The last 1% just has a volume of creatures not worth dealing with thinning out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In like Zinn posted:

1. Missile weapons on everyone.
2. Use your consumable items, there's way too much to hoard.
3. Keep the pantaloons. Always keep the pantaloons!
1a. Run around in circles to make maximum use of your missile weapons until someone learns crowd control magic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

2nd edition really is terrible.

I forget, didn't IWD have some kind of 3rd edition enabler thing in one of the expansions? Or like a 2.5 edition or something? I thought I remembered something like that. That game would be pretty fun to play through in 3rd edition rules. IWD2 is pretty great.
The expansion let you turn backstabs into sneak attacks and I think some of the spells were inspired by 3e but nothing really sweeping.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IWD was one of the quicker introductions to action of an era known for rat bashing, on par with BG2 in spite of being low level AD&D instead of midlevel.

IWD2 then decides both of those are way to slow and sticks you in the middle of a siege.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jastiger posted:

I've already beat IWD and the expansion. Which weapon might you be talking about? Go ahead and spoiler tag it for me.
Its a slightly obscure gotchya from the Easthaven prologue carried into the base game finale and touched back upon in the penultimate expansion dungeon.

If you solve the mermaid quest in the prologue in a way that gives her shattered blade to Jhonen, he restores it to a +5 long sword in time for the Easthaven finale. If you bring it with you to the seer's ice blacksmith, he reawakens the enchantment increasing resistances and giving several spell casts per day of utility/buff spells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My favorite power gamed character was the fighter 9/cleric X with grandmastery I had in my last IWD game. A druid can cover heals till the fighter hits 9 and the items and experience by the time you get there means you are a bad rear end even while your cleric levels back up.

Then you get grandmastery with cleric buffs and rip everything apart.

All of the posts so far also don't touch on IWD2 with its concept of "dipping" from 3e rules. Basically since IWD2 doesn't have prestige classes, the most worthwhile multiclassing consists of taking 1-4 levels of a class with cool low level bonuses like fighter or paladin, before or concurrent to your "real" class.