Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

jBrereton posted:

It's a matter of taste, but you can always not save except in very specific circumstances, or not Rest or whatever. That is an option available to you. Feel free to do that, and let the rest of us play something that isn't explicitly designed to gently caress the player off until they've played the same section ten times to get it "right".

I don't know why we're discussing check point based saves in BG2 but it is seven kinds of retarded. Dark Souls is designed from the ground up with checkpoint saves in mind and thus it is a good thing there. Baldurs Gate is not.

That's basically all there is to say on this hypothetical.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The superior game balance of 4E is mostly relevant in the tabletop context where all players, by the nature of the game, are presumed to be on the same team. In light of this having one player who is so powerful that the rest of the squad can basically go to sleep whenever combat occurs because they are Mere Accessories to His Greatness is a bad thing. In a singleplayer game however it is not only not a problem but arguably a merit. Who cares if you break the game over your knee like a twig if there's nobody to have their enjoyment impacted?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

verybad posted:

Class imbalance can be a problem for new players, though, because they don't know the system and don't know they're also setting the game on Hard mode when they pick bard because they like class concept. In a game like Baldur's Gate, it can be pretty frustrating when you like an NPC's personality, plotline or whatever, but the NPC is mechanically inferior to other choices.

To be sure. I don't think imbalances and newbie unfriendliness go hand in hamd by necessity though. AD&D is simply obtuse beyond all reason.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Can we stop the loving edition arguments? The BG series and NWN2 are different games that use different systems. If you want to chat about NWN2's system, I'm sure there's a thread for that series hanging around somewhere.

No one is really arguing and the only one who seems upset in any way is you soooo...maybe you should go outside and count to ten or something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I will never understand all thw Jaheira hate. I loved the snark. I kind od thought it was nice to have a party member that isn't in awe of you because it wasn't all that long ago you were a dumbass kid on the run.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I like her because she's the only one who seems genuinely affected by having been kidnapped and her husband being brutally murdered by a madman while she was powerless to stop him. Minsc is all "Dynaheir is dead! I need to avenge her by being exactly the same character I was in the previous game," and Imoen has three token emo lines and then disappears.

To be fair to Minsc, he's a little too :downs: to be truly affected long term.

As for Imoen I think you're underplaying the extent to which she was teetering on the brink of madness, and wasn't even herself when she got back.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Also the extent to which she was going to die in Spellhold and playtesters were upset enough that they let her live (but didn't have time to give her proper conversations.)

I don't blame the playtesters on that one. Killing off Imoen after all that would have felt pretty loving womeninrefrigerators.txt :stare:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Odd. The version I heard was that the original plan was for Imoen to transform into the Slayer in Suldanessellar and you'd be forced to kill her.

First I've heard of it. Every account I've ever heard of the original plans for Imoen has been "RIP Imoen at Spellhold".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

In Ascension the last baddie turns Imoen into the Slayer in the last fight after progressively gaining the minor powers the PC accrued through BG1. I'm unsure if you have to kill her or you can wait for the transformation to wear off, but she attacks you.

Oh, that.

If you just play keep away for a couple rounds, Imoen changes back. At the end of that segment of the boss fight she has a brief chat with you and then she can go Slayer Mode for the remaining segments of the final battle

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not sure the novelization is a good reason to believe anything, ever.

That novelization :stare:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

It was hardiness yeah, thanks guys. Picked it up on Keldorn and he's back to being totally fine. Dumped Sarevok though since his quest stuff is over and he's useless...turns out high level Rasaad is a nightmare. Not quite as strong as my F/M but really drat close, gives no shits about magic at all :black101:

This is all on vanilla ToB at whatever the middle setting is, Core rules I think? The one that's 1 step higher than it maxing hp rolls. It was pretty much me not realizing how useful Hardiness is

Sarevok is an absolute monster with the Ravager +6, he is far from useless. And Deathbringer Assault never stops being hilarious :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah you definitely can't normally open that door ahead of schedule.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

It's just ToB that's riddled with bugs really. I did everything possible in SoA and never really had any issues at all, but ToB's just one huge bug. I stopped doing the new NPC ToB quests entirely after Rasaad's trapped me in the shadowplane permanently :downs:

Is it just the new NPCs who's poo poo is bugged or are there other noteworthy ToB bugs (besides the door, which I wouldn't consider terribly noteworthy)?

Because if it's just the new NPCs than that works for me, I have no intention of using any of them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's probably because you're forcing doors, which no one does because it rarely ever worked, ergo no testing. Are you going thief-free on this run or something?

Ah yeah that would be it. I can't remember the last time I bothered even trying to force a door.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

This is why God gave us the BG2 TweakPack. The Maximum HP tweak is mandatory.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

This is the Druid experience distilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Baldur's Gate is basically a Heroes Story and any evidence to the contrary is Bioware throwing a bone at best.

You could argue they should have just restricted the PC from being Evil and call it a day but they decided to go the route of letting the player figure out what was patently obvious and ignore it if they wanted.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Vigilance posted:

I like that one book in IWD2 which is titled: "Face it, you're basically neutral evil" because it's so damned true. Even playing with a good party I still find myself doing occasionally questionable things just for the sake of some xp and loot. How many players out there truly roleplay a good party to the fullest extent? I know I'm not one of them. I'll do poo poo like do the Renal Bloodscalp quest line which requires you to flat out murder a cowled wizard and other things like the drow fighting pits just for the sake of the xp and loot.

One of these days I should try fully roleplaying a good party I guess.

Even a Chaotic Good protagonist can rationalize the Renal Bloodscalp quest pretty easily. You pretty much gently caress over nobody but evil dickheads over the course of that quest and it's all for getting a buddy off the mob's hit list.

The alternative, eradicating organized crime, isn't too practical.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Shadeoses posted:

I think there is some extra content for evil characters, as my Chaotic Evil try is having my dreams run along the lines of "Wow look at all this murder power I was born to grab" and "gently caress you Mulahey, I'm killing you twice".

Nope. Everyone gets those.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

Mazzy and Jan are two of the best characters in the game, though, dialogue wise.

Mazzy and Korgan also defy the "don't keep LG and CE characters in your party" because Korgan has a crush on Mazzy.

I'm surprised Jan has so many fans honestly. The dude is just nonstop monkey cheese ~so random~ bullshit, CAD style. At least Minsc has the decency to thoroughly abuse metaphors in creative if insane ways.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

When the PC is a snide rear end in a top hat in original content it's understated. When the PC tries to be funny in the EE content he tries way way too hard.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I gotta say I am really enjoying my run as a Halfling Fighter/Thief. As much as Half Orc gets talked up, I find that the strength bonus is kind of inconsequential compared to shorty saving throws. That poo poo will save your life ten times over.

The thief skill bonuses don't hurt either.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

I'd never played the old ones, so all the dialogue was new to me and I couldn't begin to tell you which ones seemed out of place or "new".

The dialogue that is new is only dialogue pertaining to Enhanced Edition NPCs. So, Rasaad/Dorn/Hexxat/Neera and their quests are new dialogue. Everything else is not.

mitochondritom posted:

Yea I think some posters have a serious nostalgia hard on, the new dialogue is no cheesier or worse than the old ones.

We really aren't. I am playing the game right now and comparing the dialogue in Rasaad's personal quest to the rest of the game there is a pretty stark difference in the amount of ham fisted snark.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Minsc is a ranger. And since he has berserk and is Minsc, he's already better than you. Minsc is available early on in both BG1 and BG2. If you want a ranger then there you go.

Then again my favorite class is Swashbuckler (especially with the Rogue Rebalancing mod that gives Swashbuckler the THAC0 of a fighter when using melee weapons). That mod works with enhanced edition by the way.

This Rogue Rebalancing mod looks actually really good. How stable/buggy is it would you say? I'd only be interested in the core kit changes and HLA stuff myself but still what's there is really appealing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

tirinal posted:

It's perfectly stable. I used to run it with a bunch of other mods and there were no conflicts ever. It's a very well thought-out mod as well.

Note that iirc it doesn't work with the new shadowdancer kit.

gently caress Shadowdancers anyway.

The mod looks pretty beneficial to every Rogue kit...except Bounty Hunter, who is probably worse off.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

verybad posted:

Dude, maze traps.

We're referring to Rogue Rebalancing Bounty Hunters, wherein they lose Maze Traps. And gain some pretty lovely effects on their traps.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Why on earth would you ever want to turn Imoen into a pure thief when her default set up in BG2 is so good?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mahasamatman posted:

Why do people go with Berserker/Druid for powergaming a dual class warrior/priest type? Are Druid spells more suited to beating the poo poo out of people or something? Why not Ranger/Cleric or Fighter/Cleric?

Ironskin, Insect Swarm, Nature's Beauty and heals are all pretty great to have.

There's an argument to be made for the weapon selection as well. Berserker/Cleric is also valid, but a large part of the appeal of Berserker/Druid is that Druids level stupid fast and hit level 10 really goddamn quickly which means you get your Berserker stuff back in no time flat.

Factor_VIII posted:

I want to try my hand at playing through BG2 without any mages. Only problem is that all the non-evil thieves available for the entire game are also mages and I'd like to use Keldorn to deal with enemy mages, which means Hexxat is out. Converting Imoen into a pure thief would mean I could use Yoshimo in chapter 2 as a thief and then switch to her.

That makes sense.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mahasamatman posted:

This is mostly stuff from the EE boards at baldursgate.com. People were mentioning Berserker/Druid along with Kensai/Thief and Kensai/Mage as powergaming characters. I played the poo poo out of this game as a kid and didn't ever really power-game it so I'm kinda lost figuring out what all the most powerful stuff is. Honestly the game doesn't need to be broken with NPC's like Keldorn and Edwin around--I was just curious what made the Berserker/Druid powerful in particular.

e: I didn't even think of being able to use scimitars for the extra attack. Welp.

Here's some basic numbers that help show the appeal:

So you're a level 9 Berserker, the optimal level to dual class. You're going to need to reach level 10 in something to get your powers back. If you go the Cleric route that's gonna take 450k exp. If you go the Druid route that's going to take 125k.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zephro posted:

Pretty sure you can change anyone's class by setting their level to 0, their THACO to 20 and their hp to zero, then altering their class to whichever one you like. Then give them an appropriate amount of xp for the level you want them to be.

Load up the game, res them (setting hp to 0 will kill them), and go through the level-up process as normal.

Is this BG1 only? Cos the problem with Druid is you get that colossal xp chasm between level 14 and 15. You need well over a million xp to level, iirc.

The xp chasm between 14 and 15 isn't relevant to the question here. Yeah it sucks but when you get over the hump everything is gravy.

The Druid levelling curve is not so much a curve as a non-sensical rollercoaster. It's warp speed until about level 12, which means you get your spell slots way crazy fast. It slows down but eh, by that point it no longer matters.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Pen and paper Druid are doing crazy hierarchical things from 12 onwards which is part of the explanation for their loopy XP tables. They're technically only even 'initiates' until 12th, when they get the full Druid title. You can see a remnant of this in BG2's rule that you can't challenge for rule of a Druid grove until 14th. Which is a bit of a comedown from 'you can now challenge for Druidic rule of the continent' which you originally got at 14th. Then at 15th you are Druid ruler of the entire goddam world, then at 16th you lose all your XP but keep your abilities and start levelling up again as a Hierophant Druid and ... 2e Druids were really loving weird and complicated, OK? Fun if you were into them but crazy as poo poo.

Wait what I don't remember this part :psyduck:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

amanasleep posted:

Another powergaming aspect to Druids that people miss is that High Level abilities start accruing for all classes at 3 million XP, rather than at a particular level. And Druids have the fastest initial level progression after 3 million xp of any class by a wide margin. The first 7 levels (and thus the first 7 HLAs) accrue in just 900k xp for druids. Most other classes get only 4 levels during that stretch. An since Druids jump to 6 spells per day for all levels including spell level 7 at level 15 they get more use out of their HLA spells than any other class.

On the other hand, Druids don't care about HLAs after the first two. :shobon:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

amanasleep posted:

Are you serious? That's not even slightly true.

It is incredibly true. Aside from Greater Elemental Summoning, there isn't a whole lot to write home about on the Druid HLA list.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

amanasleep posted:

You mean that are specific to Druids? Sure, the Greater Elemental Transformations are not too great, especially for multi or dual classes, but they are a solid melee upgrade for single class and they can be taken multiple times unlike the spells so you have something to select after you have filled up on the other choices.

However, they also get all of the HLA spells on the cleric list, and most of these are quite good. And because they have 6 7th level spell slots instead of 2 or 3 they can get more mileage from them than a Cleric can.

I struggle to think of any that are worth the opportunity cost of simply memorizing more Greater Elemental Summoning.

As for single class Druids...I can't think of a compelling reason to ever play a single class Druid.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Alright so, here's a question for the thread.

I'm thinking of co-opping this game with a buddy. Between the fact that the buddy is rolling an Inquisitor and we plan to take Imoen, I think we'll have dispelling and protection removal handled. So if I were to play a CC/Explosion Bot Sorcerer, what spells do you recommend for 7th level and up? I'm not overly familiar with Sorcerer but not memorizing spells all the time and just focusing on the more entertaining bits sounds like fun.

Also there's so many good 7th level spells and up that it's hard to choose at those levels :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Am I missing something about BBoD that would make Grand Mastery relevant to a Sorcerer, I thought BBoD was merely treated as Proficient

Edit: Nevermind, the spell reference I was reading was wrong.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

The scene towards the end of BG1 still makes me laugh just for the visual. "Let us introduce the new Grand Duke, the nine foot tall demon in spikey armor." "Thank you, I am honored..."

Woah demon? Is this because Sarevok is black? :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Excelzior posted:

I like Viconia for being the only cleric in this game that isn't excruciatingly annoying.

I guess Branwen isn't bad, if bland. Too bad she's not in vanilla BG2.

If you're a half orc, the master race, Aerie won't try to romance you and thus ceases to be annoying.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

caleramaen posted:

To be fair Aerie's hook up with Haer'dalis is a really bad idea from the get go. They have completely different views of the world. She's naive enough to think he's free spirited when he's actually just a nihilist.

That is the funny thing about Haer'Dalis. It's easy to mistake him for a free wheeling "nice guy" (much like Aerie herself does) but he's kind of a tremendous rear end in a top hat when you dig even a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So I've heard a fair bit of rumbling about ToB bugs in the EE. Is it mostly just the new EE content that's unstable in ToB or what