Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bike tory posted:

The only way to deal properly with Keldorn is to have him imprison his wife and hang the man that's been cuddling her. See how he likes the psychotically rigid "justice" that he's made a career of enforcing on people.

all 2e paladins are bastards, even the ones who seem chill and cool to hang with

Are we doing the thing where we pretend that grognard interpretations of Paladins are how they’re supposed to act either in general or in the text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Isn't that just Haer'Dalis?

Literally yes. Weird how encouraging Keldorn to not blindly follow the dictates of the law is the happy ending and in no way compromises his Paladin status.

Almost like there’s a message in there about being a good Paladin.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

zedprime posted:

Vhailor is a cop.

Yeah a cop that you can convince to die by explaining there are more dead criminals than living by orders of magnitude.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

There is no 4E videogame. The Neverwinter Nights MMO ostensibly makes gestures at 4E aesthetics but includes no 4E mechanics.

Which is a shame because 4E is literally the only good edition of D&D. The rest are at best acceptable, but not good at what they're trying to do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

NWN2 is without question one of the ugliest games I have ever played in my life. The attempt to move to something more quasi-realistic just made everything look hideous, like weird melty dolls.

At least NWN1 was cartoonish and had no pretenses of looking real.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I’m still not sure what a persistent world is. Is it, like, an MMORPG world handcrafted by some players and then attached to a server?

Essentially yes. With a staff of DMs and admins running storyline events and so on.

They can be a lot of fun and they can also be a shitstorm of drama. Usually more the latter than the former. Takes a lot of work to build and run one so it's kind of a lightning in a bottle thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Blade Bards are great. Any time I remotely consider playing a Fighter/Mage I just shrug and play a Blade and get roughly the same experience with less effort. Arguably better for the early and midgame where your unique class and kit features matter the most anyway.

Can’t really recommend any other kind of Bard but hey!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Grossly unbalanced systems are still a problem even in singleplayer because A) it incentivizes homogenized builds and B) it makes it harder to design good encounters and a satisfying progression arc.

In conclusion 3.5 and Pathfinder are terrible, terrible systems and we live in the darkest timeline of how the TTRPG scene shook out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I can handle BG1 and still just console in an appropriate amount of exp and stat boosts as if I’d done a completionist run every time I play BG2. gently caress BG1 and gently caress low level D&D.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Danny Devito is basically the ur example of "ugly, but everyone loves them". This should not be hard for people to conceptualize.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I dunno I played through Act One twice in early access and finished it in final release last week and I have still not actually figured out how to keep everyone in the burning tavern from being dead when you get there

In BG3? Don't long rest after you get within range of the inn to trigger commentary on "hey there's a loving fire nearby". Resolve the situation first. That simple.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

What is Beamdog up to these days anyhow

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

They got bought by Embracer who is currently closing studios they bought a short while ago after a 2 billion dollar deal with Saudi Arabia fell through.

Son of a bitch

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

From what I recall she shut down her forums when people weren't supporting Ukraine enough or some such. Too many pro Russian posters. Yes that was the actual reason. Also she is like Dutch or something as well so it's extra weird.

I dunno, I wouldn’t want to run a forum of people cheer leading an imperialist invasion either. Seems pretty normal if indeed it did become a den of people supportive of the invasion.

Probably the only reasonable decision I’ve ever heard of them making but still.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Not that I disagree, but we all know that they really cut off there to milk a sequel.

Unlikely honestly. None of Larian’s recent offerings have done much with add ons, or direct sequels. Both DOS1 and 2 were extremely popular and got zero dlc.

From their established patterns of behavior there’s no real reason to believe the level 12 cut off was motivated by sequel baiting.

The reason high level spells are a problem for a Larian game when they aren’t in BG1/2/Neverwinter Nights is because Larian games focus on the ability to gently caress with the environment and have dumb ideas actually be acknowledged by the game world. So they would have to severely curtail that in light of the extent to which 7-9th level spells have minimal brakes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I'll believe it when I don't see it. I don't even blame them, frankly, if they do. They made what from all reports is a great game that made tons of dosh. It's one thing to make a big earner that sucks like Call of Duty, and there are plenty of great games that don't sell well and become 'cult classics'. Making a great game that sells like billy-o is what every developer wants; who wouldn't want to follow that?

If I remember rightly, BG1 came during a bad time for RPGs and revived the genre. Then they made an expansion, a sequel, an expansion to the sequel and then, years and years later, an... interquel? BG3 could very well be the BG1 of this century.

All of these arguments were true with DOS2 and they did not make a direct sequel.

They might but there’s no reason to expect it

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

BG3 had ten times the peak concurrent playercount of DOS2.

Sure. So you’re saying then that they had a hit on their hands that people clearly liked and elected not to make dlc because they figured the next game they made in seven years would be worth $texas?

That strikes you as a plausible thought process for a dev?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

The one thing I hate about party building in Ye Olde D&D is the need for a thief. I would have loved to give my last slot to Viconia.

Oh well, Jan seems cool.

I never worried about this in BG2 at least because 1) Yoshimo handles it for the first half and he's both plot relevant and perfectly good at it and 2) When Imoen comes back she's a Thief/Mage dualclass who has EXACTLY enough Thief to handle anything SoA or ToB will throw at you, while being a Mage. Can't ask for more than that really.