Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Warning to anyone who plays games on both OSX and Windows/Linux. I bought BG2 EE on Steam assuming that both my PC and Macbook would run it, in fact I really just wanted it on my Mac, but I was at home on my Windows desktop when I ordered it.

Turns out they're evidently not posting the OSX version on Steam at all but instead on Beamdog (never heard of that) and later the Apple App Store. Meaning I evidently have to buy an OSX specific copy to play it on OSX too.

Kind of lovely, in my opinion. All of my other Windows/OSX games let me play on either system.

vty fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Airfoil posted:

Kinda your fault for not paying attention, but I sympathize. I'm not particularly impressed with the way Beamdog chooses to sell these games.

Do you run games on OSX and Windows? I've done it for 2+ years and have never, ever had a game that came out with an OSX counterpart not automatically show up on my list. I didn't even know BG2 had an OSX version because it's gotten to the point where it's been safe to assume that if an OSX/Linux version comes out it'll be available on Steam with its Windows counterpart. I didn't notice it until it showed up in the Apple App store.

I'm surprised they even allow a publisher to split up the game like that. Interoperability and not needing multiple licenses is one of the major strengths of Steam.

I'd say a good 99-100% of these I bought on Windows and can download on my macbook fine.

Just seems really scammy, which is my complaint. If you order it via Beamdog can you install it on both?

vty fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 23, 2013