Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I thought the Enhanced Edition was such a silly idea. With tutu and mods I thought BG1 was as great as it could ever be, and re-releasing it with a new coat of paint was a naked, low-effort cash grab. While all of these things are still true, I picked it up on the steam sale and it's actually pretty awesome. No fiddling with mods, the ui is pretty alright, the new npc's are pretty neat (Neera's VA is trying WAY too hard), and the changes are greater than the sum of their parts. Definitely worth $7.50, and I'm really looking forward to rolling through both games with my ridiculous cleric/ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I know I've seen it discussed in here, but I can't find it. What mods/fixpacks are recommended for Arcanum? I tried to get through it a few times as a teenager, I think I'm more mentally prepared for it these days.

I'm installing off of cd's! I feel so nostalgic. Are there any specific newbie traps I should be wary of?

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 6, 2015

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Cythereal posted:

I'd kill for a modern, proper RPG set in Eberron.

Same here.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Arivia posted:

It might just be my single viewpoint, but Khalid has always had morale trouble for me, far more than any other character. "Better part of valor, better part of valor!" at anything pretty much.

This is intentional, he has a lower breaking point than other characters.

In my experience, Khalid seems to get really attached to Joia after we find her flamedance ring and stays in her house while the rest of the party goes on with the journey. Jaheira doesn't seem to mind.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Mr. Fortitude posted:

https://twitter.com/BeamdogInc/status/845339742501830656

It definitely is Planescape Enhanced Edition if Beamdog's twitter is promoting it and are retweeting some Chris Avellone tweets. Hold on to yer butts.

Holy moly, I never thought I'd see the day. I'm gonna have an erection for the next 3 days, 12 hours

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

ChrisBTY posted:

So ok in Torment.

Once Annah has her little blow-up with Fall-From-Grace that's pretty much it for any hope of having the two of them in the same party right? Because that's a lovely mechanic to have in a game without a ton of party members

I've gone through the game a few times with both of them in the party without any issues

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Deltasquid posted:

Basically, any pointers along the lines of "these are some good quests to get you started out" would help me.

If you haven't poked your head into the circus tent in the Promenade, checking that out would be worth your while

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

chaosapiant posted:

Been playing this game for...20 years now (jesus Christ) and I learned something new! You can take down Mulahey without him summoning his skeleton/kobold entourage. I had Viconia cast that Command spell (can't remember the name, but puts a single target to sleep) on him before he initiated conversation, then force attacked and beat the poo poo out of him while he laid on the ground. No hit to reputation and didn't have to deal with being surrounded by undead. I'm sure many of you have done this before, but until now I'd never seen it done. I'm enjoying my female neutral/evil F/M run so far!

There's also a path through his dialogue that ends with him exploding all his undead and fighting you alone

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Whoops, my bad. Got the names confused. Guess I should play the game again!

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Enhanced Edition is the way to go, if that's got bad reviews it's just from whiny grognards that don't like nice things

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I remember using the restored content mods way back when but I really can't remember what they added, iirc it was just a couple of fetch quests here and there? Nothing super consequential.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah, you want to be a mage the first time you hit the specialization levels but the extra hp and weapon proficiencies from leveling up fighter as well are pretty handy. The daggers you can use as a mage are pretty great, and the better you are at using them the easier left clicking your way through trash mobs is.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I love and miss those old fantasy paperback-thick manuals but they really were ridiculously inaccurate at times. Game wikis aren't as much fun to read in the bathroom but they're such a step up from the Old Days

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah no matter how you feel about the system in general warlords and brawler fighters were two very great things about 4e, I was lucky enough to get to play both. It would have made such a great video game.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, I really want GOG to re-release Pool of Radiance - Ruins of Myth Drannor even though I realise that it's shite.

I have really fond memories of that game, back in the day me and my cousin picked it up out of the bargain bin at the start of a long weekend sleepover thing and we took turns forcing ourselves through playing it. The game wasn't necessarily any fun but it was certainly an experience. Pretty sure that was the same weekend that we busted into his dad's beer stash which might explain how we could muster up the gumption to get through it.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah the bg2 monk does seem to be pulling specifically from the 3rd edition iteration of the monk, which also has all of its cooler abilities locked behind relatively high levels. I don't remember specifics, but I do remember a lot of my high school days spent trying to find the right splatbook or multiclass spread to make the monk fun to play in my d&d game at the time.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t think I even know what Cernd sounds like

Yakko Warner

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Nah that's Anomen's VA, he also does Morte in Planescape:Torment

You might know what Cernd sounds like if you've ever seen A Goofy Movie or the dub of Spirited Away though. Or if you ever had Myron in your party in Fallout 2

...huh.

Goes to show how long since I've used Cernd, then, I totally misremembered his voice.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Randallteal posted:

As a 10 year old I found IWD easier to grasp than BG1 or 2. It helps that you can start out with a full party, and the first couple areas are pretty easy. I think I got lost and murdered pretty early in BG1 and was just completely overwhelmed by BG2 since I didn't know 2e.

I had a hard time grasping how combat worked beyond it basically looking and acting like an RTS with a pause option. The rules governing time passing and how turns worked were completely lost on me, and most of the spell descriptions were confusing because of it.

BG1 was my first IE game, and I doubt that I ever would have figured it out if I hadn't spent a week memorizing the awesome thick-rear end instruction manual. I was pretty dang young and I think it was my first non-educational computer game so I was deadly serious about it, lol. I'm pretty sure I've still got the BG1 and 2 manuals in my parent's house somewhere, I should dig them up sometime

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Finding Deionarra's sensory stone in the private sensorium and experiencing it the way that you do is one of my top five favorite passages of writing, ever, and it could only work in a video game

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

It has the coolest loving high level spells, though. I love those final fantasy rear end animations.

I never bothered with Numenera because, as awesome as PS:T's story was, the thing that hooked me and that I've never gotten over was the setting. 2E's cosmology was such a delightful clusterfuck and Sigil's such a cool city. I really wish there could be more games in the setting. Pretty much every tabletop game I've ran I've had some plans ready for a plane hopping adventure in my back pocket. One time my group at the time ended up in Sigil and just decided to stay there, screw whatever storylines they had going on back home. That was pretty great.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I know a guy who's been really into a roleplay server on NWN for the last couple of years. Seems like there's some cool stuff that goes on in there and the DM's can make really neat stuff happen, but yeah it's absolutely rife with insular nerd drama and everything that comes with a small community like that

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(although how I'm supposed to aim the effect when there's no guide is beyond me.

This is probably the most annoying part of the games to me in the modern era, you just kinda have to learn to eyeball it.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Relevant: https://youtu.be/CuQBeW8qFgs

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

theshim posted:

rolling stats for twenty minutes is a time-honored tradition and you can pry it from my cold dead hands

I played some bg multi with friends a little while back, it was their first time with the game. I was very gratified to hear the cacophony of clicks that kicked off when we all hit the chargen screen.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Multiple attacks in 3e sucked, since they were all at significantly lower bonuses they essentially never hit against enemies in a level-appropriate encounter

E: this is based on dimly remembered impressions from my college d&d days so it may or may not be entirely accurate

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Simple, dumb BG 1 question: When finding documents, there's an option to "Copy Note," so you can ditch the actual paper but where can you read the note you copied?

Been a minute since I played but as I recall there's a tab in your journal screen for copied notes.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Vargatron posted:

Yeah, those screens bring back a ton of memories. I had the original 5 CD set that I bought from the mall. I remember the manual was super thick and I was terrible at the game because I was 10 years old when I bought it.

Same but I saw the big box with skull on it while at Office Depot with the family, since they had a little PC game section at the time, and I just had to have it. That manual lived in my bathroom cabinet for years, I must have read through it a hundred times. I was also pretty terrible at it but because of that I learned the magic of console commands for the first time.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Area loot was a big part of what sold me on the EE to begin with.

Apologies while I laugh at your pain a little bit

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Pretty sure the Sorcerer was a 3e+ concept, that's why they don't really have a casting stat or any overly complicated tables associated with them because they were backwards ported into 2e for the purpose of the game

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Jay Rust posted:

They get no damage bonus, have a shorter range, but have 3 attacks per round. Also the idea of throwing darts as a weapon is stupid

Depends on the darts, there's a lot of historical examples of pretty gnarly war darts out there. As portrayed in the game though, they do seem pretty wimpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hopefully this is a good place for my question, if not sorry.

I recently got the iOS port of Planescape : Torment and I’m finding the UI to be frustrating. How in the Nine Hells do I get inventory items into the quick item slots? I’m trying to use the scalpel on the zombies’ stitches in the Mortuary : the game says that you use an item by putting it in your quick item slot via the inventory screen, but I can see no such way when I go there. There are highlighted squares to move it around inside my inventory, on the right to drop it and in the center to equip it as a weapon. Position in the inventory doesn’t correspond to quick item slots as near as I can tell (they’re not the top rightmost four slots or something like that), all my quick item slots are empty even though my inventory’s full.

fwiw the scalpel is a weapon iirc and can't be placed in a quick item slot. Pretty sure any dialogue options needing a scalpel will just be available if you have it in your inventory (or maybe equipped? haven't played it in a few years). Can't comment on the mobile ui, I've never played it on mobile