Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Faraday Cage posted:

I managed to snag Baldur's Gate I+II from gog's recent sale (despite still working my way slowly through Torment) because holy poo poo $2 each. I've not started BG1 yet but have installed with BGtutu, should I be using WeiDU instead?

I really prefer BGT to BGtutu because it has a much smoother transition between the two games. BGT will let you take any 2 party members with you into BG2, not just Minsc and Jaheira. With a little bit of cheezing, you can bring in your items from BG1 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

As someone who's never played to Spellhold, can someone give me a non-spoiler breakdown of Bodhi vs. the Shadow Thieves? Are the Shadow Thieves supposed to be good versus Bodhi evil? I like the idea of being able to kill both guilds and getting all the loot.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

If you side with Bodhi some good characters, e.g. Keldorn, permanently leave the party in disgust.

This is pretty much all I needed to hear. Keldorn's great, and I would hate to lose him.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

Sleep especially and Horror to a lesser extent are only good at low levels. Magic Missile is certainly the better option if creating a sorcerer. Though if you're willing to use EEKeeper to reshuffle his spell list as he levels then I guess picking them for the early game makes sense.

The Spell Revisions mod on gibberlings changes Sleep's rules to affect monsters with a hit dice less than the caster's level, which is a big help.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

It's not even like basilisks are hard to defend against, either, as long as you know that they're there. Load up your tank with protection from petrification, send them in first, and go to town. It's just one of the ways to dick players who haven't read an FAQ over.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Quick question: for BG2 (GOG version) multiplayer, are you able to have the various companion NPCs in the party, or is the party entire player-created? I'd like to play through with a friend, but we want to keep all the companion banter, dialogue, quests, etc.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Washout posted:

I hit R and I'm looking at my thief skills and they are all super low, like no points have ever been spent in them, is this just the game engine not displaying them correctly or what? If thats the case are the real values displayed anywhere?

I think they can also overflow past 255. Are they super high and you're getting bonuses?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I suppose you could frame it a different way: what's the minimum level enchanted weapon you need to get through BG1+SoA+ToB? Kangaax requires a +4, is there anything requiring a +5?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Wild card option - inquisitor is best for first playthrough because you steamroll bg1 then ignore all the mechanics in bg2 and get a sweet sword

This is the correct answer. Alternatively sorcerer with a good spell choice guide. Getting into the multi class / dual class system or having to engage deeply with the spell system can be pretty overwhelming for a new player.

Just think how you would explain spell protections vs spell school protections vs combat protections vs breaching vs stripping spell protections to a new player. Better to use an Inquisitor and just slam dispel and then whack things with a sword.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah so I wanted to play modded EET a while back and did use Roxanne’s installer to install it. Actually using it was, like you said, very easy for someone who can follow basic instructions but has not BG modding experience.

I installed basically everything that was compatible in order to get a “kitchen sink” experience, including Sandrah. And yeah, it’s loving bad and I can very much believe the person who made it must be crazy.

I haven’t played it in over a year now, but what I remember (before I gave up on that install due to instability lol)

- Sandrah appears literally at the beginning of the game in Candlekeep on important business with Gorion and joining you along with Imoen
- She is literally the daughter of Elminster
- Her class is some custom made cleric of Mystara that gets wizard abilities as it levels
- There’s a semi-mandatory romance component with frequent explicit sex scenes
- Sometime in Chapter 2 you go to Elminster’s house in Waterdeep? It’s an entirely new city as far as I can tell, appeared to be the size of Baldur’s gate? I quit around here so I don’t know more.

It was technically impressive but also loving bonkers and frankly embarrassing to play.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Pretty sure Sandrah breaks every single one of those rules too. Well 1 and 2 I'm not entirely sure about, but the rest definitely.

Might explain why people are a bit reluctant about the author's BWP replacement.

I can personally confirm Sandrah at least breaks rules 6, 8, 9, and 10. Maybe 5 but I don’t remember her stats.

That reminds me she also gets a number of specially enchanted items including an overpowered NPC only war hammer.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Every time I play bg2 I dismiss every companion and attempt to solo everything for power gaming exp. How do I.....not do that.

If the issue is you can’t help yourself powergaming for XP—then just cheat yourself the XP you should have had. Maybe check every level and just add back that XP?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is the EET installer still run by a crazy person

Yes but I just used it to install a megamod installation of EET (minus her special Sandrah Saga Mary Sue mod) and it worked great. So I guess I recommend it? Your other option is to download all the mods you want manually and use Project Infinity to install them. But if you want a Big World Project style “pick mods off a menu and then they automatically install” then EET mod installer is your only choice.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

docbeard posted:

Yeah I mostly like it because it lets me add the five options I want from three separate tweaks mods with little muss or fuss, and also because sometimes I install a really bad quest mod by mistake and that is funny to me.

Someday I'm gonna succumb to morbid curiosity, do a full Sandrah Saga install with all the trimmings, and then immediately die.

I'll be honest I would read a Sandrah Saga LP due to morbid curiosity. And then probably also die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

THS posted:

everyone says they are super generous but i think everyone underestimates both my anxiety levels and how much i gently caress up and want to gently caress around. but yeah whatever, maybe the game isn’t for me

Get the Bag of Tricks mod and the Kingdom Management mod. There are options to disable all the time limits, and even the option to let kingdom management events keep spawning each month while freezing the rest of the limits.