Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Baron Bifford posted:

I read it's because the get all druid spells as well as cleric (they shouldn´t in theory). On the surface it doesn't sound so fantastic since they share so many spells.

The spells they don't share are pretty important. Druids especially have a couple of spell levels where there's simply nothing good there, but on the other hand they get some really, really good spells to compensate for it. Cleric/Rangers get the good overall spell selection of Clerics and all the heavy hitters from the Druid spell list. Losing druid HLAs isn't a big deal, so there's realyl very few reasons to roll a druid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

kingcom posted:

See I'll be honest and say I just forget about healing and ctrl+r to cheat everyone back to normal after fights rather than running all the way back to the entrance and resting constantly. It just makes the game much more fun and expedient.

You know it might actually be more fulfilling to learn how to play these games so you don't have to do either. Cleric/druid healing is hardly necessary, and you shouldn't really ever memorize those spells, except CLW as a druid (because it's not like any other lvl 1-2 spell is worth casting either). And no, you don't have to rest every 2 minutes, you just need to have at least a primitive grasp of tactics and stop hoarding consumables, they're meant to be used.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

kingcom posted:

I don't really get much fulfilment killing trash mooks scattered throughout a bunch of the dungeons so doing that as quickly as possible to get to the interesting fights seems a lot more fun to me. I mean yea, I'm no expert at the game and I definitely could be much better but theres not a nice and easy guide to teaching me much about AD&D mechanics beyond the basics. If you would like to write a step by step guide on how every spell interacts and what your logically supposed to do in each fight to make the healing essentially unnecessary then thats fine with me, I'll probably read it but I don't think how one person has fun being different to how someone else has fun is much of a problem.

EDIT: Hell my solution to killing mages with some of the high level defensive spells is ultimately 'run away until it wears off'.

I don't have a problem with you enjoying the game in your own way, but I don't it's fair to criticize the game for having bad mechanics if you don't even understand them in the first place (though it may be fair to criticize the obtuse presentation of the mechanics). That was more of a problem I had with the post you were quoting, though.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah that's why I said it's a problem I had with the post you were quoting. I mean, I still think you'd probably have more fun trying to master the gameplay of these games (I don't think they have that much to offer beyond it) rather than just skipping portions of it because you don't judge them important, but eh whatever who cares.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

kingcom posted:

Theres only so many mindflayer fights one man can take. Again, I will learn if there was a way to teach me but guides don't seem to come with too many specifics on 'if your in this situation you can deal with them like this.' I'm not the best at learning through through written text anyway to be honest, so loads of trial and error is generally the way for me.

Nothing wrong with trial and error as long as you're not trying to repeat the same actions hoping for a different result. I mean, I guess I can give you some basic advice like "use thieves/invisibility to scout", "use summons to tank", "buff your fighters", "haste/web/glitterdust are op, use those spells" but I'm assuming you already know that much. If you encounter a problem, check what abilities and resources you have and try to puzzle out which of those would help the most (and if all your memorized spells seem kind of poo poo for the situation, check out the spells you didn't memorize and see if they would be better).

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Suspicious posted:

Choose:

Level 7 is the first bonus half-attack for being a warrior.
Level 9 is the last D10 of HP on level up.
Level 13 is the second and last bonus half-attack for being a warrior. It will take you a long time to reach druid level 14 however.

Grandmastery is overrated. It only gives +1 THAC0 +1 damage -1 speed factor over specialization (2 pips). Note that when you'll regain your berserker class, you'll still be able to spend up to 5 pips anyway, making the dual point moot if that's the only thing you care about.

Remember that you need to be a true neutral human with 15 strength, 17 wisdom and 17 charisma when you dual, so plan your starting stats & tome usage accordingly. Also don't spend pips in non-druid weapons as a berserker because you won't be able to use those anymore when you dual.

I think grandmastery gives an extra ˝ attack in EE, so it's pretty decent actually (and there's a note about dual-class proficiency exploit being removed in the BG:EE 1.2 patch, though I'm not sure what exactly that means).

verybad fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 26, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Rascyc posted:

You want to do it at 9. The biggest reason you want to do this is actually the druid experience table:

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur%27s_Gate:_Progression_Charts#Druids

You will get your berserker back very quickly because of how weird the druid progression is. They're the fastest class to get to level 10 (druid is 125k experience vs thief's 160k). Their progression to level 14 is on par with everyone else, at 1.5 mil. Obviously you could dual earlier at 7 but there's really no reason not to skip an extra 2 levels of hit dice and especially grandmastery now that grandmastery is fixed in BG2:EE (or you can just use the grandmastery fix if you are playing vanilla).

Also a straight berserker is super strong in BG1 if you're doing the full trilogy run. You dual in BG2 when your party can carry you through the quests that give exorbitant amounts of experience for you to catch up very quickly. If you dual in BG1 you will be useless unless you remove the experience cap and do ~things~

The 13 dual is reserved for people who want to milk just a tiny bit more power out of their class in ToB in exchange for making SoA chapter 2 a miserable experience.

I don't think Berserker 7 is that bad of a place to dual class. You get your berserker/druid on already in BG1, with about 40k XP to go before you hit the XP cap so it's not like you'll have to wait terribly long for it, either (or if you're just doing BG2, you can dual class immediately and regain your old class straight after doing the circus quest). Druids get a proficiency point at 8, you can use that to get grandmaster I think. All you lose is 4-8 HP and 2 THAC0 (though you catch up on that when you hit level 13 as a druid, so again, no biggie).

edit: actually, I think you Berserkers get an extra rage at 9, so you'll lose out on that, 2/day instead of 3. I'm not sure if you really even need it more often than once a day, but that's something to keep in mind.

verybad fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 26, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Rascyc posted:

You also get to wield Carsomyr legitimately, and thus the earliest, and it is is a brutally overpowered weapon (which is slightly annoying because you will always want to build the Paladin to use 2h swords and never use anything else pretty much, maybe the crossbow from WK).

Foebane/Purifier is a decent end game dual-wield alternative to Carsomyr. Anyway, paladins can't progress past specialization so you have tons of proficiency points to spread around and there are plenty of strong, easily acquirable weapons that are at least situationally better than Carsomyr. For example, Azuredge & Flail of Ages are both very good, accessable early, aren't made obsolete by Carsomyr and there are no (good) NPC with proficiencies in Axes or Flails. Long swords aren't a super bad pick up either, there's plenty with interesting special abilities or otherwise situationally useful special propertias (ie. immunities and bonus damage against specific enemy types), Blade of Roses is among the earliest +3 weapons you can find, the Equalizer is a decent off-hand weapon and the Answerer is a very strong weapon in its own right. There's also no NPC with long sword proficiency either.

There's really no need to tie yourself to the Holy Avenger, especially as an Inquisitor since you already have a better dispel as a special ability. It has a high enchantment and big magic resist bonus, so it's certainly good, but by no means necessary (or even the best weapon for all fights).

edit: hell, paladins can't even kill Firkraag the first time they go to Windspear without messing up their stronghold quest so you're almost better off focusing on a different weapon type early on. Lilarcor isn't bad, but it's no Flail of Ages either.

verybad fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 27, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

I've never played a pure Fighter. What advantage does straight fighter have over a Paladin with same stats?

Slightly faster level progression, grandmastery and the option to dual class, if human.

Factor_VIII posted:

I disagree. I think greatswords are a very good option even without Carsomyr. In BG1 you can find a +1 greatsword on a bandit close to Nashkel and later get Spider's Bane in Cloakwood and a +3 one in Durlag's Tower. In BG2 you get the Sword of Chaos in Irenicus' dungeon, Lilarcor in the Slums and can later can get the Silver Sword. And ToB has Gram the Sword of Grief. Greatswords are a very strong option even for non-Paladins.

And Carsomyr 50% Magic Resistance is really good and it also has has an additional 5 damage bonus to chaotic evil opponents and the fact you can dispel by just hitting things means you don't have to spend time casting instead of attacking. Not to mention the fact it's the only +5 weapon in SoA (other than the Sling of Everard) and only +6 weapon in ToB. Maybe other weapons can be situationally useful, e.g. the Psion's Blade against Illithids, but Carsomyr is a great default weapon.

There's also 3 NPCs with greatsword proficiencies in BG2. 50% magic resistance is a nice bonus but certainly never critical (and really can't be: if you're really worried about getting hit by a spell, 50% isn't enough of a guarantee - you want specific immunities) and while it does give bonus damage against evil enemies, it's not going to outdamage a strong dual-wield combo. +5/+6 isn't really all that meaningful. Inquisitor dispel has either instant cast or cast time of 1, but in either case it's certainly fast enough to not matter at all, except when you'd like to use your cast action for the round for something else (eg. drinking a potion).

Note, I'm not saying: "Don't use Carsomyr." I'm saying you should use other weapons too, and not feel tied down to that specific weapon just because you happened to roll a paladin. There's really no reason why you couldn't for example just take a single proficiency point in two-handed swords and only use Carsomyr for dispelling mages' protections and fighting Kangaxx.

verybad fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 27, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Scent of Worf posted:

Can I get some tips on fighting TorGal? I got my old saves working now and I am still stuck at this fight. The only real buffs I have right now are Bless and Protection From Evil and both seem to do very little because the Trolls just shred through any one of my guys and we take forever to do damage. I think I've only managed to kill one troll in the 5 tries I just did.

Do you have access to Glitterdust/Slow/Haste? Glitterdust is a no save blind for 4 rounds, Slow destroys melee fighters if they don't make the save and Haste is probably the best buff ever. What's your party composition?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Scent of Worf posted:

My main guy is a half-orc (I think) Barbarian who is dual wielding axes, I have Minsc, of course, with a two handed sword, Yoshimo with a bow and some fire arrows, the girl mage from that awesome circus quest and a dark elf cleric I helped back in the city. Oh and also a druid elf woman.

The circus mage has slow but I am not sure if it is level 3.. would it still work?

If you're still stuck with the fight, here are some more tips:

- Use Yoshimo to lay down some traps before the fight, then draw the enemy to the room before.
- If Jaheira (the druid) has level 5 spells, have her cast Iron Skins and equip her with the best armor and shield you have. Have her atract the enemies to the traps, and when you fight, she should be tanking the enemy.
- If she isn't, have your clerics memorize 5x Animate Dead and use the skeletons to try and tank the trolls. Animate Dead is a 3rd level Cleric spell, so you want to use Viconia's (the dark elf) slots for those and have Aerie (the girl from the circus) memorize Holy Smite instead. Holy Smite is an AoE nuke that only hits evil creatures (so it's mostly party friendly) and has a chance to blind the opponents.
- Use your Barbarian rage in this fight.
- If either of your clerics has 5th level spells, use those slots for Flame Strike.

So, summon skeletons, lay down traps, prebuff and use a tank to engage the enemy and draw them to the traps. Have your other melee fighters stand back a little until you're sure the trolls are attacking either Jaheira or the skeletons, then attack with them as well. Focus fire TorGal. Have Aerie try to slow the trolls, Viconia uses flame strikes (or sling if no casts) and Nalia casts whatever damage spells she has. After you're out of slows/succeed in slowing TorGal, have Aerie switch to casting Holy Smite (and whatever damage spells she has as a mage if she runs dry). Use Yoshimo's fire arrows to finish downed trolls.

The door to TorGal's room makes a good bottleneck where you can lead the enemy and take them 1-by-1, but your party is so melee heavy that it's not ideal in this situation.

verybad fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 27, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Lilli posted:

I'm curious, would people be interested in another Ironman thread? It's been a while since the last one (or I've just missed any thread that has popped up since like the one in 2011). Would there be some interest in getting another one going? I really enjoyed reading it last time even if I didn't end up participating and would like to see folks do it again.

It might be fun, I have serious trouble actually finishing up my playthroughs. Ironman playthrough with some communal support might be just the thing.

MrTheDevious posted:

vvv What's an ironman? No reloading?

Yes.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Orgophlax posted:

No reloading. You die, you start over.

Only core rules or higher. Better get lucky on those level ups, son! :colbert:

(it's a drat shame what happened to your only scroll of stoneskin)

verybad fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 27, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Are you allowed to have other party members or does it have to be solo?

There really are no other rules except no reloading.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Took a head start on that Ironman challenge. Starts off a bit ominous, as Shank actually scores a hit on me before I even have the chance to take a swing at him. Well, no biggie. I finish Candlekeep, pick up Imoen, Xzar and Montaron. I stick to the road, avoid all wolf spawns and head straight for Friendly Arm Inn MOTHERFUCKER YOU'VE BEEN WAYLAID BY ENEMIES, BETTER DEFEND YO rear end

Yeah, bandits.

I live

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Baldur's Gate 1 is more about playing smart by necessity than in BG2 where you are powerrful enough to do whatever most of the time. As a level 1 scrub wizard I could cast one spell a day then I'd be done, unless I wanted to get some extreme rock throwing action going on with monsters that could easily kill me in one hit. I ran into a dude who told me there was an ogre walking around the area, which can hit me so hard that I'd explode into tiny pieces. I memorized the Sleep spell and went exploring, when I found the Ogre I cast my one spell and he had a nice nap. Then I threw rocks at him until he died, looted his corpse and equipped a magical belt which changed me into a lady.

I don't know what kind of a lovely wizard you're playing, but my level 1 wizards roll around zapping ogres with lightning bolts, throw fireballs with the flick of their wrist and are armed with deadly poison darts, not stupid rocks. :colbert:

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

Xan can't cast Evocation spells though. Which mean no Chromatic Orb, Web or Fireball.

Eh, losing out on Chromatic or Fireball isn't a big deal and level 2 is full of useful spells, so losing out one isn't that bad (Glitterdust is more OP anyway).

verybad fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 28, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Rolled a 94 on my BGI Cavalier! Let's see how long I can Ironman a PC which permits no ranged weapons.

You can use throwing axes (and daggers, I think) - the weight is a bit of a pain, but it makes the early game go a bit smoother. Throwing daggers are actually very strong in BGEE with specialization and high strenght, though there are no magical ones. You can get a returning throwing axe +2, but that's fairly late in the game.

verybad fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 28, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

Thrown weapons have the disadvantage of having a shorter range than bows, slings and crossbows. For a cavalier that might actually be a good thing though, since he will move ahead of the party tanking enemies and drawing attacks that could otherwise be aimed at weaker characters. It's the reason I have mages use slings instead of darts though; a mage who likes to walk ahead of the rest of the party and then draw all enemy attacks to him won't have a very long career.

I think that's only darts, actually. I haven't noticed any problems with my druid using throwing daggers or Khalid with throwing axes.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Cythereal posted:

For me, it comes down to the fact that the Enhanced Editions offer very little that modded installations of the original games don't.

I guess that's true on paper, but man the game just feels so much smoother with the new engine that I just can't bear to play the originals.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

I must say, this Ironman run I'm on is making the game much more interesting. I'm constantly thinking about how to make best use of my resources, and even the "bullshit" mechanics like scribing failure and random HP on level up are kind of interesting now. This honestly feels like how the game is meant to be played. Of course, that's not really true -- the game is way too willing to inflict horrible bullshit on you just for kicks for that to be the intended design, and it's not really possible to do a clean run as a first timer, aaand it's a really long game too. Still, I can't help but think that maybe these games should've had a checkpoint save system instead of free quick save/load type of thing it has.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah I know it's not a popular opinion or anything. I used to hate it too, but then :darksouls: happened.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Because checkpoint saving is terrible. It's right up there with boss fights after unskippable cutscenes in terms of frustrating mechanics.

A frustrating mechanic is not necessarily a bad one. Dark Souls is a massively frustrating experience, but also a brilliant one. No other (single player) game I've played has had that same feeling of achievement when you make it through a difficult area and finally beat the boss that has been grinding you to paste for the last two hours.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Cythereal posted:

or moving the games into 3.5E rules.

Ugh, no. I've never played PnP D&D, but what I've learned from the few 3E based CRPGs I've played is that, a. tinkering with your character build is really fun, and b. actually playing the characters is really loving boring. AD&D rules are like Dota: not intuitive in the slightest, completetely arbitrary, ridiculously complex and drat fun. In 3E, your character build matter far too much. It does not make for a very interesting gameplay, when the most important decisions you make are on the level up screen.

verybad fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 30, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

jBrereton posted:

It's a matter of taste, but you can always not save except in very specific circumstances, or not Rest or whatever. That is an option available to you. Feel free to do that, and let the rest of us play something that isn't explicitly designed to gently caress the player off until they've played the same section ten times to get it "right".

As a matter of fact, I am doing that very thing, that is, I'm participating in a no-reload challenge! It has been a fun and eye opening experience so far, I had no idea how much I used to save scum in these games before doing this. There's this voice in the back of my head saying "mm, better quick save right now" whenever I'm anticipating a challenging situation, and then I remember that I'm playing for keeps this time. But no, the Baldur's Gate series isn't really designed for that. There are elements of the design that work much better in the context of a no-reload/limited reload run, but at the end of the day the games were designed with a quick save option in mind. I think that's to the detriment of the game, but that's what we have. I don't think I'm the only one whose ever had a hoarding problem in these games, or has completetely ignored the spell learning failure mechanic and mostly doesn't bother to deal with random encounters while resting in dungeons.

Here's one thing you got wrong, though: a game with checkpoint saves isn't explicitly designed to gently caress the player over (neither is Dark Souls, for that matter). That's actually very poor design in that context, because there's a real chance of the player losing progress - and interest - in the game. If players think the game is being unfair, they'll feel cheated and won't want to play the game. When you're designing with a quick save in mind, you can throw in some "unfair" challenges because even if the players don't get it the first time, they can just save scum their way through.

Mordaedil posted:

Well, okay maybe the feat system is kinda dumb, but there are so many things about 3.5 edition that is just easier and better. No THAC0 for instance.

Attack bonus is just a different (and to be fair, probably more intuitive) way of expressing the same concept.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

The superior game balance of 4E is mostly relevant in the tabletop context where all players, by the nature of the game, are presumed to be on the same team. In light of this having one player who is so powerful that the rest of the squad can basically go to sleep whenever combat occurs because they are Mere Accessories to His Greatness is a bad thing. In a singleplayer game however it is not only not a problem but arguably a merit. Who cares if you break the game over your knee like a twig if there's nobody to have their enjoyment impacted?

Class imbalance can be a problem for new players, though, because they don't know the system and don't know they're also setting the game on Hard mode when they pick bard because they like class concept. In a game like Baldur's Gate, it can be pretty frustrating when you like an NPC's personality, plotline or whatever, but the NPC is mechanically inferior to other choices.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

I think you're exaggerating things. NWN2 actually has recommended options that you can take for your character. Delving into the details is optional. Someone who wants to take a prestige class just has to look at what the requirements are when creating a characters. If they fail to do so, they could just keep leveling the core class. Someone starting out can make a basic is somewhat suboptimal character and delve deeper (perhaps looking at character builds online) in later playthroughs.

The gap between recommended builds and optimized builds is pretty ridiculous in NWN2. If you balance for the recommended build, the game is going to be terribly easy for the optimized build, and balancing for both is practically impossible. This is a bad thing, as the players who are likely to go for the recommended build are the new players, while optimizers are at least experienced with the system, if not the game - they're the ones who are looking for a challenge, but they beat the game in character generation. Meanwhile, the new player is struggling with his suboptimal build, trying to learn the basic game mechanisms. I like building characters in 3e games, but they're not fun to play.

verybad fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 1, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

rakovsky maybe posted:

Spell Revisions also makes it so sleeping characters wake upon being hit, they don't stay sleeping. So sleep lets you take a mob on one-at-a-time but against a single powerful enemy its basically just a free hit.

Enemies are more likely to make the save at higher levels, too, and while it's only a level 1 spell, casting it still spends an action you could've used on a more high impact spell. At low levels, limiting sleep to affect only enemies weaker than the caster is actually quite a nerf, really.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Suspicious posted:

I don't think anyone knew you could bash that door.

I'm pretty it's either an EE bug or introduced by a mod or something. There's no way something like that could've escaped noticed for, what, 12 years? holy poo poo has it really been that long where did my life go

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Piell posted:

Neera fixes the mage problem, since she can cast any spell.

There's really no mage problem in BG1, specialist wizards are pretty much strictly better than standard mages. There's enough good spells for all levels that missing out on some alternatives isn't that big of a deal and wands can fill the gaps, if there are any.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, not the ones in BG1, because they specialise in schools that make them unable to cast a bunch of useful spells.

Dynaheir can cast color spray instead of sleep, Xan can fill his first level slots with blind/charm person/spook after sleep becomes useless and use glitterdust/horror/grease instead of web/stinking cloud, Edwin can use glitterdust for invis detection if you somehow really need it, Xzar can dual-class to a cleric. There, no significant holes left.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Mahasamatman posted:

What's the best way to dual a Thief into a Mage? I was gonna do Swashbuckler for the extra proficiencies.

I know a Blade is pretty much a better option all around but I hate not being able to open locks and disarm traps. Can a party get by without a thief?

A blade is a much worse wizard than a thief -> mage is. If you're playing BGEE, dual at level 6. In BG2, I'd say level 10 strikes a good balance between having good thieving skills, maximizing kit bonuses and having the required XP totals be reasonably low. There are magic items and potions that boost your thieving skills, so I'd say 80/80 on locks/traps would be decent enough spread, while leaving you with enough points to dabble in other areas (well, traps or detect illusion, though pick pockets has some serious cheese potential early on). If you don't want to bother with micromanaging that stuff just bump them both up to 100 and forget about other skills. Not much point rolling a thief character as your main if all you're using him for is traps and locks, though, unless you really can't stand any of the NPC thieves I suppose.

verybad fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 7, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Yeah it's pretty stupid how so many characters need the gloves of dexterity. Keldorn too in BG2.

Need is a strong word. Contrary to the popular belief, you can have a perfectly playable character without maxing out every physical stat.

Actually, I have a few wizard slayer questions for you all:

1. I know the miscast magic effect is only applied to melee weapons, but what about thrown weapons with both melee & range form? What about (unenchanted) throwing daggers?

2. Is Bala's Axe a throwing weapon? Looking at the stats, I always thought it was melee-only, but the icon actually looks like a throwing axe.

3. Any special stat requirements for wizard slayer -> thief dual-class? 13 is probably a very good spot to dual in BG2, since thieves level so fast, I'm thinking.

verybad fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 7, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Crip Towe posted:

Is there still an ironman thread around btw?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3589415

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I think Sorcerors as a whole started in D&D 3E, as did Monks, and I think class stats ended up being not-that-important for both of them in BG2.

It's not like INT is terribly important for mages unless you're playing on Core+/No-Reload, either.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Ferrosol posted:

Rangers are worthless there is precisely one area in the game where a ranger is useful and for that you can just use a faq or guide.

Rogues are debatabley useful I personally like to have one because stealth makes some of the battles much easier but they're generally considered weak and underpowered.

Rangers are fighters with stealth, how are they worse than rogues?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Ferrosol posted:

Rogues have the ability to lockpick, disarm traps and make fairly decent diplomats and can sneak attack. All rangers can do is hit things and make questionable use of the tracking skills.

Yeah, but sneak attack is terrible in IWD2 and from what I remember, lockpicking & traps weren't terribly important in the game, so it seems to me rangers are better than rogues in the one category that matters, which is hitting things.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Ferrosol posted:

If your only in it for the hitting things though Paladins and Barbarians and even Clerics do it better.

Yeah, but you cared about stealth too?

Zephro posted:

If I wanted to solo BG2, or perhaps even BG1 and BG2, is there a class combo that stands out from the others as far as raw power goes? I've done Kensai/Mage in BG2 before, so not too keen to do it again. Plus I think BG1 would be pretty rough as a solo pure-class Kensai, since you don't dual-class until level 12.

F/M/T seems reasonably popular on various boards. I know Sorcerers can be good, if a little clunky. Blades also come up reasonably often. Any other advice?

A jester could cheese much of BG1 and early BG2 with invisibility and song, and works just the same as any other bard (that is to say, rather well) in the endgame.

verybad fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 8, 2013

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

John McCain posted:

Tenser's Transformation doesn't grant any extra attacks. That means a M/C with Improved Haste still only gets 2 APR.

Polymorph Self and Shapeshift do grant extra attacks, though, and you can buff the forms by setting up sequencers or contingencies, or by scroll casting.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I played through chapter 1 with a ranger just to test this since it tends to be the accepted wisdom and she ended up with ~40% of the party's kills.

edit: Without stat dumping either, 14 str 20 dex 10 con 10 int 14 wis 8 cha

Powergamers are classically concerned with optimizing for the end game, ie. the part of the game where you've already mastered the mechanics and have most access to tools needed to beat the game. It's quite funny, really.

verybad fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

oswald ownenstein posted:

What's the purpose of rangers in Infinity games, anyway?

They get the same 2 point proficiency cap that Paladins get right, except with more armor restrictions? Only thing I can think of is to have them be an archer, but the Archer kit is so much better.

Scouting warrior, easy access to dual wield, powerful dual/multi-class combo with cleric. Archer is Ranger kit anyway?

steakmancer posted:

They're pretty good in BG1 where the number of proficiency pips is real low (as opposed to BG2 where you're just putting points in poo poo you'll never use) and there are plenty of bears and poo poo for you to charm I guess.

Yeah murderous wildlife is actually a thing in BG1, so charm animal is actually a pretty useful ability to have there. You know, as long as you remember you have it. I keep forgetting.

Level 1-3 druid spells are pretty much rear end, though. Paladins at least get DUHM, Animate Dead and Holy Smite.

verybad fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 8, 2013