Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Rookersh posted:

But if you go Evil, don't you lose out on being able to cast Draw Upon Holy Might as a Fighter?

Yes but strenght potions so who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I imagine they had at least an idea, and decided blowing their load on that revelation in the freaking epilogue text was a bad way to approach things.

There's really nothing in the cut epilogues that you couldn't figure out from Alaundo's prophecy & the ending cinematic.

e: does anyone know if there's a mods that remove the new EE content from the games, by the way? I like the quality-of-life improvements, but I'm not a big fan of the rest.

'lo and behold, there is one at least for BG1: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30322/bg-ee-mod-disable-ee-npcs-ee-items-available-in-shops

verybad fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 10, 2014

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Alignment is a gameplay mechanic with very minor effects. Don't fret over it, just pick one that sounds appropriate and then play your character and make the kind of choices you think your character would make. That said, these games don't really tackle moral and ethical questions all that much, so there's not a lot of nuance and depth in that regard to them. They're murderhobo simulators after all.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Eh, there's only two really relevant abilities when it comes to aligment: turn undead & holy smite. Turn undead charms undead instead if you're evil*, and you don't get holy smite (unholy smite is pretty much useless). If you do have holy smite, you don't want your frontliners to be evil because then it's not a party friendly AoE spell anymore.

* this is mostly a downside, but it does turn one of the "bad" options with Limited Wish into "Summon Vampires"

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

hamsystem posted:

Their song seems pretty good but I guess I could offset what it brings with a second archer. Actually, I'm seriously considering 5 archers and 1 thief for traps and locks....

Bards are fine, the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Intelligence is useful for dialogues, but mages don't really benefit more from it than any other thieves or fighters do. Mages certainly aren't the the strongest class in the game, Ignus for example is terrible in combat because there simply aren't any really good spells to cast. Anyway, don't think TNO as a single-class character, you can get a trainer for each class as a party member, so you can freely switch between the different classes as long as you have those characters in your party. Be a fighter when you want to level up your fighting skills, be a thief when you want to do thief stuff & be a mage when you need to talk to people with funny hats.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

I don't recall it working on anything dangerous except those worms in Undersigil. Good for farming XP, though, if that's something you're interested in.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Genocyber posted:

As far as I can tell, the only way to actually run from enemies is to screen transition, which is pretty dumb. After reloading a couple of times they managed to kill it without a scratch. And I thought the RNG in Fire Emblem was bad.

The tactics & strategy part of these games is all about stacking the RNG so heavily in your favor that it ceases to be random.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

I'm kind of disappointed that they're not just upgrading the engine, but that they're also bringing in BG2 mechanics.

e:

What people mean when they say "IWD has no story" is that there are no whining NPC party members, the game is linear & the story isn't about YOU. (You're not even a you, you're an adventuring party!) The plot & writing is a lot tighter than it is in the BG series, IMO.

verybad fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 31, 2014

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Action Jackson! posted:

In BG2 it will still be terrible until you get the Bard song HLA. Rogue Rebalancing is, in my opinion, a must-have if you want a bard that is actually useful.

Skeleton warriors @ 1 million XP is pretty useful.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Taear posted:

There's a ducal palace in BG2? Where do you mean?

And I found low AC to be really handy in BG1 - I got a character down to about -11 - but like Sleep of Bronze says in BG2 and TOB it becomes almost pointless. It's sort of a shame because it made my Jaheria a bit poo poo in TOB since she hasn't got that many hitpoints.

She has Iron Skins??

edit: and Fighter HLAs (hardiness...)

verybad fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 19, 2014

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

The statbooks are important and you also start with around double the XP you otherwise would (more if you've removed the XP cap in BG1). You'll only miss a handful of items from BG1. E.g. there are no rings of wizardry that double level 1 spell slots (wild mages would be really crazy with those thanks to Reckless Dweomer) or Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity (pursue the Anomen romance, then remove the belt after you've consumated your relationship. :) )

Pretty sure you keep gaining XP even when you hit the XP cap in BGEE (100% sure it happens when playing Tutu), so you don't even need to remove the XP cap. Starting the game with ~200k XP or so can lead to some pretty weird situations with multiclass NPCs if you're playing a fast leveling class like druid or bard/thief, since the game uses levels instead of xp totals to determine what level the NPC joining you is going to be (which incidentally makes Haer'Dalis kind of suck early on if you didn't roll a bard/thief). I'm pretty sure one time I recruited Aerie with 1 million XP total right after the starting dungeon. It, uh, certainly made things easier for me for a while.

(The downside is that I'm pretty sure that the game uses average party level to determine the area difficulty, so you'll end up facing more challenging mobs too. This is bad if you still have lovely starting gear/no access to better spell scrolls.)

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Taear posted:

I loved that Baldurs Gate itself felt like a "real" medieval city, it's sort of the right size even. And you can't just wander into every useless house like you can in most RPGs, which I actually liked. It stopped me wasting tons of time in empty places!

Uh, Baldur's Gate has loads of useless little houses you can wander into. Maybe not every house, but still a bunch.

Also Durlag's Tower was the best dungeon in the entire BG saga.

(also the only not-poo poo dungeon in BG1)

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Is there a mod to remove the added content from BG2EE? I loving hate it.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Don't play it? There's nothing saying you can't tell Neera/Dorn/Hexxat to bugger off.

I'd rather not be reminded of their existence with obnoxious cut scenes.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Oh please. To be a 12F/13C you only need 2.5 million XP, and seeing how you can get the 8 mln before brynnlaw this should be more than possible early on

Since you're here...

There will be on Sunday :)

... any news on this (removing EE content from BG2)?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah uh I was busy studying logic this weekend sorry
But this won't be hard to do in a few minutes. Since all PC and OSX and Linux versions can only come with all the DLCs added, the HasDLC(S:) trigger is essentially a glorified True() trigger; except it's only used in the added content. So even adding ! before it would disable all scripts depending on it. Though with Beamdog's stellar website I don't actually know which NPC's are in all versions. Jesus.
Removing the ~new portraits~ is probably impossible, though. Also I could probably remove the Black Pits option from the game start menu, since they streamlined the GUI elements handling :spergin:

Personally, the only thing I really care about is removing the NPCs and content related to them. Black Pits/new portraits? Couldn't care less.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Cant you just kill them on sight?

EDIT: How do I get the new BGEE portraits into BG2EE and vice versa?

At least Neera & Hexxat stick out like a sore thumb because of obnoxious cut scenes introducing them. It's not a big deal, but it diminishes the experience for me and I'd rather not deal with them at all.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Does anyone know how pickpocketing from NPCs (not stores) works? My 100% pickpocketing bard is consistently failing to steal from Brennan Ristling (Mencar Pebblecrushers's thief buddy), but I had no problems cleaning out the rest of his crew. Even with a potion of master thievery consumed, he is still failing a lot. Now, checking Brennan's CRE file, he's got 70% pickpocketing skill, so maybe that's applied as a penalty to my roll? Or maybe not, who knows.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

So, if I understood that correctly...

1) pick pockets is a d100 roll, and you have to roll lower than your pickpocketing skill - enemy pickpocketing, 100 always fails? Does Luck factor into it?

2) stealing from stores is a d100 roll, and you have to roll lower than your pickpocketing skill - store difficulty, no chance of critical failure?

fong posted:

Yeah pick pockets is the only skill worth pushing above 100% really.

Yeah I knew that, but what I didn't know is that there can be penalties for stealing from NPCs, not just stores.

(Stealth is worth pushing over 100% too, though.)

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

fong posted:

Also 36 pages of bugfixes and I still don't think they've fixed characters defaulting to melee weapons when they use up all magically-created ranged ammo (like Melf's Minute Meteors)

Feature, not a bug! Your APR is stuck at 5 until you reload, even after you run out of meteors. :haw:

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

fong posted:

And if by 'good' you mean the weakest of any class except maybe monks and certain kits, then sure.

Bards are among the easiest classes to solo the game with, and do just fine in a party too, so I have no idea what you're talking about. Yeah, the base class is weaker than the kits, but that's the same for every class.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

So I'd say enchantment & conjuration aren't that big of a deal. It's kind of a bummer, sure, and not the class I'd choose, but still, loads better than losing invocation/evocation.

You can memorize Blind/Spook instead of Magic Missile, and you shouldn't even memorize Fireball, because wands of fire exist. What exactly makes losing out on invocation/evocation a big deal in BG1?

verybad fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 16, 2014

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

fong posted:

Of course you can make bards work, they aren't bad in the sense that they're unusable or unplayable. But relative to other classes they're bad (except when solo, true)

What does that even mean?

Dyna Soar posted:

Web and Magic Missile are both among the best spells in the game. Useful from the start up until the final fight. So invocation/evocation has both a really good direct damage dealing spell (no save, magic damage & you can get 10 of them memorized. SCS gives all mages prot. from normal missiles, which makes it a bit less useful though) and a really good crowd control spell.

I mean, the game can be played with any class and party composition. No one or two spells or missing on a school is going to make or break the game. I'm just saying, Xan is weaker than Dynaheir, and Edwin or a dual-classed Imoan are better than either.

Web is easily replaced with Glitterdust & Magic Missile is mainly useful for removing mirror images, though? I can buy that Xan is weaker than Edwin or Imoen, mainly because MORE SPELLSLOTS & IS A THIEF are both more useful special abilities than HEY I CAN GET OVER 100 FIRE RESIST REALLY EARLY IN THE GAME*, but Dynaheir doesn't actually have anything special going for her.

* this would be really good if Mirror Images actually worked like in the original BG1, ie. without the random chance that the real caster gets hit when there are still images left. Would've made 7 CON Xzan the best tank in the game for the bandit camp.

Dyna Soar posted:

e: Ive never really used Xzar, and can't remember what spells he misses out on, so I can't comment on his usefulness. What funny about him though is his relatively high Wis score. I mean, the guy's supposed to be batshit crazy :)

Losing illusions kinda sucks big time, IMO, but you can dual class him into a cleric with a tome and that's something I've been meaning to try that for a long time.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

MM has always been one of my most used spells, as a direct damage dealer that is. One makes like, what, 10-25 damage and you can memorize up to 10. There arent that many lvl 1 spells that remain useful later in the game.

Web has one huge advantage over other crowd control spells: free action or Spider's Bane. Cast two webs & let Minsc go wild while the rest of your party shoots from a safe distance. Oh, and web disables mages, glitterdust still lets them cast defensive spells.

One schorcher from a wand of fire deals something like 12-42 (save for half) two times, and it's got 50 charges. I don't recall ever running out.

Glitterdust is party friendly from the get-go, no need for free action, and there's no save even (though BGEE might've finally changed this). Who cares if a mage is going to refresh mirror images in BG1 after they're blind? You're still gonna pelt him down with archers just the same.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

fong posted:

That all the other classes are better, I'm not sure whats difficult to understand

They're better at what?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

CHARNAME Bard, Imoen (Mage-dual), Khalid & Jaheira, Xzar & Montaron (Cleric-dual).

CHARNAME contributes...

lore (saves money/spell slots),
pickpocketing (allowing Imoen to focus on locks/traps and Montaron on stealth/DI/set traps),
spellcasting (let's the party have invisibility memorized early on, before Imoen is dualed & picks up the slack when Xzar duals, highest caster level buffs)
wands (more wand users is always a plus!),
Greagan's Harp (instant cast dominate @ -2 save),
fear immunity with song (helps with Khalid's awful morale & makes a couple of early game fights where the party doesn't have access to remove fear easier, later removes the need to memorize it at all),
good ranged support with the Dead Shot and some magical ammunition.

Which base class would contribute more to the party than bard in this example?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Levitate posted:

Actually here's another question...what's an interesting type of character to play in BG1 that's not like challenge yourself hard because that class is crappy, but not a usual boring easy class? I've beaten it with a mage before and with a fighter and with an archer-type I think (maybe was a fighter/thief that shot a lot of arrows)...I'd like to try out something else that might be a bit off the beaten path

Priest of Helm -> Thief dual is pretty interesting, I think.

(Don't try to do the Werewolf Island though.)

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Jesters are better than base bard, and base bard isn't that bad in a full party, you just need to concentrate on buffs and accept that they may not kill much, but they'll help everyone else kill better.

It's fairly trivial to iron man BG1 with a solo bard.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Corvinus posted:

Single-class high level Kensai hit like trains but can't take it. Until you get some Hardiness HLAs you'll have to micro hard to prevent a Kensai from taking frequent dirt-naps. Much of the point of dual class Kensai is to cover or eliminate the problem of no-armor.

A single-class Kensai can use use (and master) throwing weapons, so playing them as a very hard hitting ranged unit is a thing you can do. You can grab a returning throwing axe +2 very early on in the game (the adventurer party in the sewers), though I think you have to side with Bodhi if you want the +3 one. If you're a dwarf, you can also use the Dwarven Thrower (+3 throwing hammer) you can buy after solving the djinni problem in Trademeet.

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah, still better than any of the fighter HLAs, and something you won't get if you dual from mage to fighter (unless you wait an ungodly amount of time to dual, then wait another ungodly amount of time to get your spells back.

It's a level 9 spell, not a HLA, ie. there are scrolls for it. Sure, they're expensive and rare, but still (though if you want to be a bit cheesy, you can just duplicate yourself with Vhailor's helm & have the clone use the scroll...).

verybad fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 26, 2014

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

There's a +3 one as well, but I don't know if they give STR bonus to damage like the axes and hammers do.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Jabor posted:

If this is Ironman, though, make sure you kill Shank and Carbos - just for the possibility of a hilarious not-even-out-of-the-tutorial loss :)

This has happened to me. Twice.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Here's a neat thing I've been wondering about: in IWD:EE (and maybe other versions as well) a shapeshifter doesn't turn back into human form when you dual-class into a fighter. Neither does he unequip any items that a fighter can use, either. I *think* shapeshift forms will benefit from an off-hand weapon, which is pretty neat-o.

If I wanted to, I could dual-class a level 13 shapeshifter with a +1 APR scimitar in offhand into a fighter, get dual-wielding & scimitar profs & have a pretty goddamn viable fighter type leveled-up real fast thanks to shapeshifts stats & fighter THAC0. -10 AC & 5 APR right out of the gate doesn't seem too terrible to deal with. Any non-obvious problems with this plan? Eg. dispel magic/resting/chapter change/a cutscene removing shapeshift bonuses or something stupid like that.

verybad fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 5, 2015

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

You can't dual an archer into a mage, ranger/mage isn't a valid multiclass.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Rahzmataz posted:

Yes to both. I'm actually veering toward a fully created party at this point.

The only issue I have with the Berserker dual classes is that people seem to highlight level 9 as a good point to dual them, meaning that it wouldn't happen in BG1. With that in mind, my party in BG1 would be 2 Zerkers, a Cleric/Ranger, a Wild Mage, a Sorc, and a Cleric/Thief. Actually that sounds hilarious.

Edit: I never make room for Bards, what's the best Bard kit? I know people like Blade.

Every Bard kit has its pros and cons, though ultimately they're not all that different. Blade is a bit better than rest of the Bard kits in combat, but not significantly so*. Skald song is a great party buff, but becomes redundant in ToB. Jester and the plain Bard kit don't have penalties for pickpocketing (which can be nice in early BG1, as you need less thieving potions for pickpocketing) or lore (which is mostly just a conveniance, but it's something to keep in mind). Jester song is abusable when combined with invis & you can cheese some tough encounters with it (it doesn't check for MR or confusion immunity, AFAIK) and the plain Bard song is useful in early BG1 for the fear immunity (helps a lot in the early mage fights, eg. Tarnesh, but it's really not at all important or relevant later on).

Skald is probably the most useful with the least amount of micro, which is nice with a full party, I guess.

* Offensive spin is a pretty good buff and a blade can definitely blenderize mooks with it easier than the other bard kits, but in BG1 you'll probably just spam wands/arrows (of detonation), and that's not something the blade does all that much better. In BG2/ToB, if you're seriously going to melee with your bard, you're going to have a billion buffs running, and spin doesn't stack with haste so it's not going to be one of them.

verybad fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 17, 2016

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Without encyclopedic knowledge of the game system and enemy rules? No, you'll be absolutely hosed without casters.

Even if you know what you're doing it sounds like a really dull way to play the game.

Bards are casters and if one of those paladins is an inquisitor, he'll do just fine I think. The bigger problem is that getting 6 melee characters in range to hit an enemy will probably be really really annoying on some maps.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Eh that's probably right. I just wish I could end the cycle of repetitively buffing before fights. I wish you could setup a buff macro for each character, but eh.

Don't buff, problem solved.*

* except for specific encounters where you need whatever specific buff it is that breaks that particular encounter in half

verybad fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 18, 2016

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Don't Druids get elemental shapshifts in Icewind Dale? In that case why would you ever have a Totemic Druid? Or and Shapeshifter for that matter?

Elemental Shapeshift is a HLA, so probably not, but even if they did get it, they'd only get to use it for a teeny tiny part of the game. I haven't actually played Icewind Dale past Dragon's Eye, but I'm going to venture a guess that it's like every other RPG, in that the endgame is the easy part.

(Comparing class balance only at the level is a personal pet peeve of mine. The endgame is probably the part where it matters the least how "overpowered" your character is, you've had the entire game to practice how to play to your character's strenghts by then and there's unlikely to be any real curveballs thrown at you that force you to change or adapt your strategies. It's the early and midgame players should be concerned about, that's where the challenge lies!)

verybad fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Frionnel posted:

Thanks for the tips everyone. I might consider just playing for the plot too. So basically i raise WIS to 25 first? I saw that there are some stat bonuses you get through dialogue, should i be counting on them to raise my stats or are they just a nice bonus here and there?

Start with 16 and get a +2 WIS tattoo ASAP, and you’re set for pretty much set with that and the permanent bonuses you can get. If you want the most dialogue options, having 16 or so in several stats is more important than having a godly WIS score. I like starting out with 13 dex, because that let’s you snap necks and catch thieves, which is always fun. Starting with a high charisma can be nice (14+2 tattoo), because it gets you better early quest rewards and reactions from normal townsfolk, but if you’re planning on going mage, it’s a bit redundant, because you get the friends spell for charisma anyway.