Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So one last question post before I start this, I swear.

What are all the bonuses for having high stats again?

I know 18 Strength gets me the slash levels, and everything higher then that is just more damage.

I know 18 Dex is good for AC rating, but does that eventually cap out? Is there a point Dex won't help me with defense anymore? Diminishing Dex returns or something like that?

Constitution is the tricky stat for me. I remember seeing lots of posts saying 16 was more then enough Con for anybody, but since it handles health per level, if I got the Tome would it actually change the gain per level? Could I theoretically do 15 Con until I got the Tome? Would it matter?

I know I need 17 Int just to dual later. 18 gives me more spellbook space/no failure on scribing. 19 is unlimited spellbook space? How useful is that/does it offer anything else? Would going 16 Int then using the book work?

And then Wisdom effects Wish, but looking at the spell, almost all the things it does seem negative. Is it really worth putting Wisdom at 12/14/16 and getting the two Tomes just to use Wish more often? Does it do anything else?

And if I'm dualing at 9, do I hit Fighter rank 9, then dual class when ai technically should be leveling up, or do I level up, then dual when I actually hit level 10.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

fong posted:

I know you wanted a plain fighter dual class, but the Berserker kit has no restrictions at all. You just gain the berserking ability, which is great.

Also for the people complaining about dual classing at level 9, the XP from Irenicus' dungeon alone (and assuming you take all three others with you) is enough to bring most classes from level 1 up to level 8. So if you start in BG1 (which allows fighters to hit level 9) and then dual class at the start of BG2, you're (arguably) the best class for all of BG1, then get to switch to (not arguably) the best class in BG2. Even starting in BG2 just do the copper coronet/slave ship quest straight from Irenicus' dungeon and you'll hit level 9, then be back to level 10 on your new class within one or two new quests.

Dual classing at level 13, on the other hand, is dumb unless you're doing a solo run.

I get what you are saying, and when I go through Temple/Icewind/Neverwinter I'll probably do a Barb/Mage. Didn't make enough sense for my Candlekeep raised character to be big on Barbarian rages though, and the benefit looks like it peters out by the end of BG1 anyways. It's not like BG1 is very hard when you have a 18/96 str, 17 dex, 17 con, 17 int character though ( first roll! ).

And yeah, being a Fighter for the entirety of BG1 ( when it's awesome/amazing/the best choice hands down ), just to become a Mage in BG2 ( when it's awesome/amazing/the best choice hands down ) is what convinced me to do this. The first dungeon is so easy I can do it in my sleep, and Minsc/Jaheria are powerful enough to protect my low level Mage as he gets all his levels back. If I didn't know better, I'd say Chateau Irenicus was specifically designed to boost BG1>BG2 dual classers that wanted to switch at 9.

I've also come to love Sword and Shield style in BG1. Absolutely useless come BG2/ToB, but with how many archers are in BG1, it helps a lot. I'm at -6AC versus anyone shooting at me at level 1, which basically means I'm invincible to them. I could probably solo a fairly huge chunk of the Bandit Camp if I wanted by just parking my CHARNAME at the gate then having Imoen shoot everyone.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 9, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What level do people recommend for Ulcaster/Firewine/Durlags/Ulgoths?

I'm roaming around the wilderness levels between Nashkel and Beregost. Originally it was just for fun, then I realized I was getting a ton of + items, and tons of stuff to sell by exploring everything. I'm not level 4/5 on most of my party and I haven't even touched the Nashkel Mines yet. :v:

All that's really left for me to do down here is the Nashkel Mines and the three dungeons, but I remember getting trounced when I did them as a kid. Should I wait until after I reach Baldurs Gate, or should level 5's be able to clear them?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I like how for all his plotting, Bhaal never thought his strongest son might actually end up being a decent human being.

Kind of a fatal flaw!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
But if you go Evil, don't you lose out on being able to cast Draw Upon Holy Might as a Fighter?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I figure if anybody can answer this question, it'd be in this thread, so sorry for breaking away from the base of DnD a bit.

How the gently caress does The Dark Eye even work? I'm trying to go through Drakensang and am just staring at this poo poo in confusion.

Apparently I need high Willpower so I don't get Wounds, but I also need to keep leveling up my Swords? But does leveling up my Swords actually raise my damage, or just my chance to hit. Does it eventually cap out? Because I'm currently hitting pretty much everything at 10 Swords, even though I haven't put any points into that for awhile. And the two people in my party with 0 Willpower seem to get Wounds at about the same rate as Folgrimm/PC, even though they both have Willpower at 10-15ish.

Should I even be putting this many points in Swords/Willpower? I've been trying to keep them maxxed, while buying 1-2 perks with my extra ducats/exp every level or so, but I just realized my health/endurance aren't going up per level. Should I actually be attempting to raise my health/endurance per level, or even crazier be attempting to raise my attributes? The wording on all this stuff is so vague I'm not even sure what it does on a PnP level.

Hell, I'm not even sure what leveling up gets me, as my stats/health/endurance all seem to stay the same.

And that's just on my main character who I went Fighter with. Once I get all the perks I care about I imagine it'll be easy to boost Strength/Health every turn. I'm looking at Gladys who seems to be a Thief/Mage and am desperately trying to figure out how I'm supposed to buy her perks/new spells/get her higher ranks of lockpicking/boost her stats with the few leveling points I have to spend. And even with maxxed out lockpicking she can't seem to pick anything 9 times out of 10.

The spell list is even more confusing. "Raises SV for 1 turn.". Great, what the hell is SV! Is -2AV for 30 seconds good? What is RV?! Then you look at what you get for being higher level/leveling up the skill, and it starts talking about how it'll raise the SP by 1 per 1 RV per 1 per 5 levels, and it's just asking math of me without giving me the numbers to solve it.

Is there a good super newbie primer for this setting? Or is it basically if you weren't born German you're boned.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I've been trying out Baldur's Gate since I've never played it before, and I gotta say I'm impressed by how retarded the combat is. Four people, two with magic and one with a sword can't even take down a single wolf.

To be fair, two of those people have never been outside the walls of a library, and the other two are so incompetent they got sent to the Sword Coast.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So Icewind Dale 1/2 are 3.5 right? IE Dexterity get's reduced by wearing heavy armor, so you can't just get 18 Dex then put on Full Plate Mail and suddenly have -5 AC?

Trying to set up a Fighter/Druid, and it's hard figuring out a way to get high dex/strength for shapeshifting, good con for survival, and then 17 loving wisdom and charisma so I can dual. I hope/assume this will be like Baldur's Gate in that my Fighter/Druid dual will be able to use all weapons/heavy armors like Jaheria could?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So honestly what is a Druid supposed to be in DnD?

In BG Jaheria could use plate like a Cleric, so she constantly had -4+ AC, and leveling up Clubs/using Shelliligh gave her good damage. I had her set up as a frontliner with Khalid/Minsc/PC and that worked fine. And on the plus side she had great CC/Buffs throughout the game.

If I can't give them armor in IWD, doesn't that just make them a lovely mage/lovely cleric? Why wouldn't I just make a second Mage for CC if I have to babysit them, or a second Cleric if I want a healer that can not die if it gets looked at funny.

Trying to figure out how I want to build this class is all.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

yeah
http://www.icewinddale.com

they're gonna gently caress this up

on the other hand, IWD is like the one game i'd actually want an EE for.

better ui, more coherent systems that work like the other DnD games, THE loving ROLL COUNTER like BGEE has but for a WHOLE PARTY, etc.

also it's the only way atari is able to get their games on steam after hasbro/interplay signed that dumb loving 5-10 year exclusivity contract with gog, so you know, i'll take it.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 31, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

I read in the OP that magic classes tend to excel most in BG2. I'm planning on playing through BG1&2, and want to be pretty badass in 2 as well as carry over the same character I make at the start of one. That means I have to make a magic character that is decent in one that will be a badass in two. What exactly should I go in terms of race/class/stats? I'm partial to necromancer themed things, but I'll do whatever works well.

Edit: I remember reading that kensai/mages are pretty good.

Kensai/Mage is terrible in BG1 in exchange for being a godlike character that can solo ToB. It's not a good start.

Thieves/Mages are not fun to play in BG1, while Fighters are hilariously powerful. Everything is fun to play in BG2, but Mages are the most powerful, and the NPC Mages outside of Edwin have personality issues. Everything is equally powerful in ToB outside of a few specific cases like Kensai/Mage, since Fighters start getting HLAs.

So if you want to be the same character through the series, and want to be powerful throughout, just go Fighter in BG1, then dualclass to Mage in 2. You'll get all the benefits of Fighter in 1, and all the benefits of Mage in 2 ( along with triple average Mage health, the ability to use swords and hit things, and casting spells in armor. ).

Or yeah go Wildmage and just use Nahal's on everything to keep things interesting. You'll have to keep your finger on quicksave/quickload incase it misfires, but it'll let you cast higher level spells faster/more frequently, which gets you out of some of the BG1 Mages problems.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

anime tupac posted:

It's really really dumb that Dorn, and presumably all the characters who were not in your party when you finished BG2, just get reverted to generic template versions of themselves when ToB starts. I can't remember if this happened in vanilla BG2 but it sucks to get this dumb version of Dorn that didn't finish his questline the way that I did, wielding the wrong Abyssal Blade. (luckily I kept the first one so I have 2, and my understanding is that one version of it contributes to his ToB quest eventually?)

Also

Where is best companion Mazzy?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Man, I play Team Evil so much that I should really give BG2 a go as Team Righteous Smiting. Mazzy, Keldorn, Minsc. Too bad Keldorn makes things very, very easy with all the mages he can destroy.

Mazzy is literally the best companion.

The mix of natural Halfing saves/her altered stats due to being religious/the high levels you can reach in ToB/Hardiness makes her close to invincible. She's incredibly hard to kill, even by magical attacks, and if you boost her offense at all she becomes an awesome front line fighter/ranger.

Even better, she can take all those awesome short swords/bows you find and with the addition of fighter BAB can proc their effects more often. Since most of those weapons are built around procs, it makes her useful if only to proc all sorts of nasty poo poo on enemies constantly.

Her personality is also great, she's a mix of the straight man/hero, and plays it well. A good amount of her conversations are either her trying to learn how to be a proper knight through Keldorn, giving actual personality to Valygar, or getting super confused by Minsc. Her conversations with the PC are basically "Hey, you realize I'm a halfling right? I mean rekilling a god wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I woke up this morning, but I'm down."

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Wait, really? I'm nearing the end of BG1 in my full run and figuring out who I want to take through BG2. I've already decided on Mazzy and hadn't even considered Valygar, but if she can make him actually interesting I should give it a shot. I don't think I ever bothered bringing him through ToB, maybe not even all of SoA.

She keeps trying to make him her squire, which adds him to 4-5 conversations about it.

He's actually a pretty alright character since he's got a near 100% chance to stop Mages from casting, and has great magical resistances.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Wait, really? I'm nearing the end of BG1 in my full run and figuring out who I want to take through BG2. I've already decided on Mazzy and hadn't even considered Valygar, but if she can make him actually interesting I should give it a shot. I don't think I ever bothered bringing him through ToB, maybe not even all of SoA.

E: Right now considering at a party of CHARNAME, Mazzy, Minsc, Keldorn, Imoen, Valygar. Going to freely edit base classes to make it work, so those don't matter. Anyone I should swap out to maximize banter potential? Mazzy is the only one I absolutely want in the party, for whatever reason I've never seen much of her banter.

Mazzy flirts like mad with Korgan until she realizes his sense of humor is lacking. Outside of that you get to see more of Anomen being a dick, because he's pretty much a giant racist rear end in a top hat towards her for being a halfing that wants to be anything other then a thief. Other then that her main conversations are with the PC/Valygar/Keldorn, with a little bit of Aerie ( since they both worship halfling gods. )

Also Jan has a whole bunch of stories specifically for her if you want to see more Jan Jansen.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Neera's romance is terrible, but she's a great companion. She's also got the benefit of introducing more story stuff into the game, which none of the other companions do. ( Wild Magic only became a thing with the death of some gods. Namely the god of magic. This is why she's being hunted, because Thay wants to figure out how a simple farmgirl can match their best and brightest with no formal training. )

It's a bit forced, but it's better then Dorn ( I'm just evil. ), Hexxat ( More Vampires? ), and Rasaad ( We made up a new cult of crazy martial arts dudes. They don't really fit the setting but whatever, Monks man. ).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

And yet they don't hunt sorcerers. hosed up, imo

Sorcerers didn't exist at that point. They were only introduced in 3rd edition, while the Time of Troubles/Bhaalspawn Crisis was 2nd.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Some quick pointers?

Magic in all forms doesn't really get far until mid/lategame BG1. That's why you find Jaheria and Xan so weak, because they are supposed to be "build them up and later they become more powerful" type classes. Most people suggest grabbing support style spells for their casters in BG1, and turning them into murder machines come BG2. Good spells to grab are things that slow/snare, or put things to sleep. If you do want to switch them out, Branwen down in the Nashkel Carnival is a good choice ( she's a cleric, not a druid, so she has more buffs and less offensive support then Jaheria does ), or Neera in Beregost ( a wild Mage, she can cast higher then her level through Reckless Dweomer. These spells can also backfire though! ).

Be warned though, dropping Jaheria means dropping Khalid. They join/leave together. Honestly both of them are well worth their party weight, so I tend to keep them, and just have Jaheria go from rear end in a top hat with vines to party healer by endgame.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

I quite like the following party setup: PC arcane spellcaster, Ajantis (melee/party spokesman), Minsc (melee), Kivan (ranged), Coran (ranged/thief skills), Yeslick (melee/healing). For a non-arcane spellcaster PC replace Minsc with Neera.

The best strategy I've found for BG1 is to have an archer-heavy party and Coran is great for that. He can fulfill all your unlocking and trap disarming needs and with his 20 Dex and illegal 3 dots in bows is one of the best bowmen in the game. Kivan is also an excellent archer and worth having. It's also possible to get Minsc and Ajantis to specialize in longbows and they're very good ranged attackers too (especially if one of them has the bracers of dexterity). With this setup most enemies will die before they can close into the party (especially early in the game), greatly reducing the need for healing or crowd control spells (though Web spells are extremely effective with this party and can be used to great effect against tougher enemies).

One party formation strategy that works well for this group is to get Imoen at the start, go and recruit Kivan and Ajantis followed by Branwen and Minsc, avoid the side-areas do the Nashkel mines and Bandit camp followed by going to Cloakwood where you can recruit Coran and Yeslick to replace Imoen and Branwen respectively while the party is still low level.

The big problem with Kivan is if you are playing a patched version/EE, most new players won't keep him, and instead he'll run off with the loot. This is because he DEMANDS you go clear out the Bandit Camp within 7? days of recruiting him or he disappears from the game. Most people don't realize that/it takes a long time to sleep or wander.

He might even run off the loot if you are playing an unpatched version and trigger the wrong things. This is because while his quest usually doesn't pop on vanilla BG ( because it's broken! ), it sometimes will, and the only way to fix it is to give the lady in Beregost enough bandit scalps to gently caress off within 7 days, otherwise you lose Kivan. Because the quest is not just broken in not starting, it's broken in that if it does start, the only way for him to view the Bandit Camp is cleared is if she leaves.

He's way too broken/fickle to be reliable. Most people don't realize that because they don't play BG1 compulsively, or have it set up so they don't trip over those bugs, but having him leave you with everything in his inventory is game ending for some people. And the people who generally hit those bugs are the ones who got told to pick up this sick archer near High Hedge, but then spend the next four years exploring the area around Nashkel.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 6, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

Hmmm. Imoen just hit level 7.
Should I dual her over to Mage or just let her keep going with level 7 of Thief? I guess I am really asking from the perspective of 1) I kinda don't want a super low level mage for the next bit of the game...however 2) I really want to import this into BG2 and so I imagine I need to dual her soon if not now...

You only import the PC.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Ascension really does need to update already though :argh:

Ascension works fine, you just need to install it through one of the megamods.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/546-the-big-picture-v181/

Install that, but obviously uncheck everything other then BP Core/Ascension/Improved Bosses. It'll install Ascension, and it works fine.

There are a few script issues, but they are fixable by installing SCS, and installing it's base stuff ( Initialize Mod, Initialize AI components, all smarter bosses ( NOT SENDAI this crashes the game ), but also give Ascension Irenicus/Sendai SCS scripts ( or again beating Sendai will crash the game ), and give Ascension Demons SCS scripts. )

Then also grab the Slayer fix to fix a core bug with SCS.

You uh, might as well not bother waiting for actual Ascension. The guy that was working on it actually tried hiring some people to finish it faster, and they hosed him over. Shortly after that the forums drove him off the project for taking too long. Now nobody is working on Ascension for BG2EE. It's probably never going to get done.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

so im watching the last stream they did on the 4th of march and doing early game stuff and showing off some of the new patch features too, some seem cool, most seem stylish just for the sake of it. they say you can turn them all off though we'll see.

stuff so far: (i'll spoiler some SoD plot poo poo)
Infravision only shows red character sprites when they are in the dark only, they are normal if they are in a light source.
the basement of the duchal palace actually has some usage in siege of dragonspear rather than just being a empty room with a FMV that played like in the original (pure guesswork here, but i think it was originally how you followed sarevok down to the undercity hence why that fmv plays)
the streets of baldur's gate are loving packed like an actual city, there are more characters on screen than i have ever seen in any IE game, they mentioned these were refugees from the plot of SoD, probably to explain why bg1 streets are empty compared.
all characters and npcs now have a black highlight plus when you hover the mouse over them they get a blue outline.
the green character circles are no longer circles, they are all oblong.
lol pausing the game now makes the background go grayscale like timestop but not the characters.
while in baldurs gate in SoD you get a new travel map to different locations of baldurs gate city, alot like how you would travel to little areas in athkatla rather than the whole thing, this is only for SoD most likely.

it's an hour and half long video so im still watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aPrnhaMa-0

Can you turn all this poo poo off if you don't want it?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

Belt sounds like he is being voiced by an actual robot or one of those text to speech programs.

Also, surprise, the writing so far as been pretty loving awful, im only at the start of chapter eight but holy poo poo it's bad.

Baldurs Gate and it's characters aren't masterpieces themselves.

Are we talking hammy/"bad" in the way most old RPGs are hammy/bad? ie I didn't really like that Neera/Dorn/Monk Guy had quests in BG1 when nobody else did ( and they also felt over the top in a fairly simplistic game setting. BG1 only gets crazy as you finish it up, most of it is woodland exploration. ), but by the end of BG2 all three felt about on par with the other BG2 characters in terms of everyone being kind of caricatures/poorly written. Or are we talking bad in the sense that it just outright doesn't fit the setting/storyline/characters that BG1/BG2 set up.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Hey Kirk, your game is great.

Can you ask Beamdog to make it so stuff actually sticks though? I've turned subtitles off 4-5 times now and they keep happening. Also I've turned off "Lower difficulty when you load a save" 4-5 times now, and it hasn't stuck.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

Kinda weak that he needed literally every single Bhaalspawn to come back, though. Which means those Harpers people were talking about were right, actually. Imprison a few Bhaalspawn that are too low-level to put up a fight somewhere and Bhaal stays gone, problem solved, gently caress the prophecy.

I mean them dying at all from anything sends the power to the next Bhaalspawn though. So even if they just die of old age, eventually you'll have a 70 y/o supergod peasant in a cage. You also have the problem that the more Bhaal you have in you, the more evil you become, and even those with very little still have thoughts about torturing people/killing themselves and others in strange ways.

Best it got dealt with here, with them backing the only Bhaalspawn that wasn't a total rear end in a top hat.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

rakovsky maybe posted:

What are he other trans references in the series? All I can think of is the girdle which is basically a joke and a trap for newbies.

Multiple gods are outright stated to be gender neutral/fluid, and switch genders on whim. Many are ambiguous.

There are multiple potions and items that allow you to switch your gender. This implies a desire for this sort of thing within the setting.

Edwin if left to his own devices will turn himself into a woman. While it's played as a joke, it also does touch on a few of the issues of trans identity.

The core theme of Baldurs Gate is how you view yourself internally, despite how others view you thanks to you being a Bhaalspawn. This is very easy to convert into traditional trans identity issues.

Elminster, a major player in the Realms turned himself into a woman for quite a long time, partially because his god wanted to hide him, partially because he requested it.

There's also the issue of "politicizing" DnD. Considering BG2 has two separate modern day abortion debates almost verbatim, and that's just what I remember offhand. I'm sure people in this thread who have played it more recently can find a lot more political topics represented in the Baldur's Gate series.

Basically, people are just assholes.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Make her a companion, and have her stick around into BG2 and ToB. :getin:

"Oh, you guys kept saying you wanted her to have more writing! We are just doing what the fans wanted!"

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

H13 posted:

So Baldur's Gate is calling me again.

What character class do you reckon the Bhaalspawn is most likely to be? I think the book plays him\her as a fighter, but the book is atrocious so we won't go there.

I was thinking Sorcerer? A kid who grows up around scholars would probably end up a big of a book nerd, but since that kid is Bhaalspawn, they're meant to have a lot of innate power. So I would figure a Sorcerer over a Wizard. However, that upbringing of being around books all the time, combined with a lot of innate power means a monk makes a fair bit of sense as well. I also don't think it'd be too hard to imagine the kid training with the guards, so a combat class like a Fighter makes sense. If the kid has been a right royal little poo poo, then I could understand being a Thief like Imoen. I didn't get the impression that Candlekeep was overtly religious, but again with the scholarly background, I could see a Cleric making sense as well.

I couldn't really imagine a Barbarian being bought up at Candlekeep. Or a Druid for that matter...

Fighter.

Faith based classes are off, because what god would willingly accept a Bhaalspawn as their adherent.

Nature based classes are off, because you grew up in Candlekeep. A barbarian/druid wouldn't really fit in there.

Wizard/Sorcerer are not things you can train in, they require you to be born with the talents to mold into magical skill. We meet all the Bhaalspawns family over the course of the game, and not a single one knows poo poo about magic ( outside of some basic cantrips/spells ). The Bhaalspawn could be the exception, but it seems Bhaals essence isn't quite straight up magical power ( which makes sense, he's an ex human turned god that mainly focused on killing people. )

Rogue works. Assassin probably more then anything if you play Evil.

Fighter just makes sense. If you are playing a good aligned character, a huge chunk of the game is you trying to keep your more bestial nature in check. The class description for Fighter is "a warrior who focuses on control of themselves." That fits pretty in line with the Bhaalspawn. The guards in Candlekeep mention you are a prime candidate to join the guards ( and have trained with them in the past ) if you do all the tutorial quests, which fits Fighter the most.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

It was scrapped almost just a few months before release, after reviewing enough they realized basically all you were importing was your characters name, since even the appearance wasn't any point in importing.

Meanwhile, Trent Oster is hoping to do an Enhanced Edition of NWN, but last I talked with him about it, he was having licensing issues. He still claims to have a list a mile long of improvements he'd want to make.

If they can actually get NWN, I'd love them.

Like seriously, of all the games that could use a touchup pass, it'd be NWN. But man that'd probably cost as much as a new game to Enhance, just due to the 3D/size.

e: I mean even the GoG version is broken right now. The character creator/editor doesn't work, mobs are missing, quests break fairly often if they require bigger scripts, etc. There is no way to play NWN legit start to finish on anything above Win7 right now, and it's a shame. Of all the games, it's the one that most needs an Enhancement to fix the actual coding issues.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 7, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

I haven't played NWN since like 2006 (and never beat it or played the allegedly much better expansions but that's neither here nor there) but isn't the game really really (really) ugly? I dunno how much an enhanced edition could help that. Even NWN2 looks pretty drat ugly nowadays, although it's not quite so bad I couldn't play it or anything.

I'd argue an Enhanced Edition of NWN wouldn't really touch up the graphics ( because the cost of that would be astronomical ), and would instead focus on getting it actually working on modern systems, maybe add more quests to the character roster/flesh out things a bit more storywise, and fix up some UI issues.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Wouldn't an enhanced edition just break all the mods/scenarios/gameworlds people have made for that game, invalidating it entirely? I mean it isn't like most people want to go relive the campaigns for that game and the expansions that badly.

The game is currently unplayable anyways if you have higher then Win7.

The character creator/editor crashes the game half the time, and even when it works you can't see your character.

You have to make a choice early on if you want to leave environmental effects on ( which causes everyone in the game to look like the silver surfer ), or turn them off ( which causes all water in the game to disappear, and for you to crash every once and awhile when it loads zones with water.

Both of these things also break a number of main quest scripts in all three of the main campaigns, making it so you can't actually finish the main campaigns.

And mind you, this is with the patched GoG version, and they've mentioned multiple times when people complain on the forums they have no intention of touching the game further.

Game is busted no matter what. Best case scenario is it gets "Enhanced" in such a way that they fix those issues, but leave the engine untouched enough old mods and whatnot carryover.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I can play both nwn 1 and 2 on 64 Windows 8.1 with zero issues with either. These are the GOG versions. How are they unplayable?

Um how? Care to post an exact computer setup? Drivers up to date? Any wrapper based programs lying around that might be getting used by NWN1 mysteriously?

The immediate issues are in order.

- The character creator doesn't display the character model. Sometimes it'll crash with most people assuming it's from the unloaded model.

- As soon as you enter the game, the character will show up, but all NPCs will be the silver surfer. To fix this, you need to turn environmental effects off, which also removes all water from the game. This causes the game to crash sometimes when entering areas with water.

- The framerate can't get above 15-20 frames per second for some people. This isn't an everyone thing though.

- A number of scripts in the Luskan invasion don't trigger, meaning you can't beat the OC. A number of scripts in Act 1/2 of both Shadows/Hordes don't trigger, meaning you can't progress in either module.

Those are the biggest ones that hit seemingly everyone on the GoG forums. I don't know if more show up after that. When was the last time you played? When did you buy the games? Last time I tried playing NWN was shortly after they launched GoG Galaxy, since it looked like it also got patched, and I was hoping they might have finally fixed some of the issues.

e: I'm redownloading NWN, ya'll best not be lying to me. I want to play some NWN now.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 8, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

fong posted:

yes, I think most of the evil poo poo that she does is more in response to the way she gets treated

Yeah, isn't her leave tolerance for good parties massive?

In other news, whats the mod that removes the EE characters from BG1EE? Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the characters in Dragonspear/2 where they fit in pretty well. It's just 1 is this really basic game about murdering the woods around Baldurs Gate, and as soon as you have people with that much airtime, it really starts eating away at the fairly basic plot. BG2 meanwhile is 100% "gather your crew and fix their daddy issues" so a few more people to recruit doesn't feel that strange!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

insanityv2 posted:

Honestly, Viconia's backstory shouldn't figure into it at all. It's about how you treat people you know nothing about, whats the decent thing to do ex-ante, without knowing anything.

Cool, let's take her backstory out of it.

- She tried to be a normal person in a normal town, and tried to make friends! They tried to kill her.

- She decided people are kind of mean, but rather then be mean back, maybe it was time to go hide in the woods and not interact with people anymore? They tried to kill her.

- She said, well, maybe I'll hide and wander from place to place, so nobody really eagles in on me being a Drow. They tried to kill her.

- She meets the CHARNAME, and says hey! You don't want to kill me!! and helps them. If CHARNAME makes good choices, she's confused at times, but she's never really like "Oh my god, you gave them money, how can we be evil now."

She never really actively hunts people down and tries to be a dick to them. She just kills people if they try to kill her, which makes sense considering everytime someone realized shes a Drow, things got worse.

Cythereal raises a great point in that Shar actively supports Viconia, and Shar is inherently one of the more evil gods of the realm, which means Viconia must be doing -something- evil to get that kind of blessing. But honestly? gently caress if we know. It could be as simple as Shar wants to keep an eye on the most prominent Bhaalspawn in the region, and is backing Viconia as her agent in your party.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I honestly don't mind Khalid. He's got good Con and Dex, and his Strength can pretty easily be fixed. Yeah, there are -better- fighters in the game, but by the time you have them, your party should already be rolling the content. The amount of effort needed to minmax him out ( especially from an immersion standpoint, killing/housing someone midgame is a bit uh, odd. ) is a bit insane to me. Especially since BG1 is early game DnD, so as you clear content, someone is going to die. If it's Khalid, just don't reload the save!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Entropy238 posted:

After playing Arcanum for 60 hours since I got it two weeks ago I'm now lusting for more Tim Cain.

I've never actually gotten round to playing the first two Fallout games – should I start with Fallout 1 or Fallout 2? Are there any mods I should definitely get before playing?

Play them in order.

Fallout 1 is a pretty short RPG in general. It's quite easy to 100% in 10-20ish hours. It also provides the backdrop for most of what happens in 2, although it's a very combat focused RPG.

Fallout 2 is closer to a modern RPG. It's 30-40 hours long, lots of social checks/skill checks, etc etc.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
All of this looks incredible. I'm so stoked.

Only three more games left to EE!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kirk posted:

I'm really looking forward to enhancing Konung

You joke, but my Konung 2 and 3 are lonely on my Steam list. I'd buy it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

Reposting from the Stupid/Small Questions megathread:

I'm very torn by the recent annoucement/imminent release of Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition by Beamdog, and I'm not sure if I should preorder it or not.

I love the original Planescape: Torment but find it's missing a bunch of stuff, which I use mods to fix. It's generally also a bit wonky at times. I wouldn't mind spending money for something that's lovingly remastered and fixed, but I have some concerns:

- I have a feeling that Beamdog's other remansters are somehow... lazy. I haven't played any of them myself, but I hear that they introduced previously-unknown bugs, and visually at least I don't tend to see much effort put into updating anything. I'm not sure they even bother updating the pre-rendered cutscenes, which would make for a very inconsistent aesthetic. I don't want to give money to the company if they're cashgrab half-rear end efforts.
- I hear that when they do add content that wasn't in the original, they're of questionable writing/quality (to the extent where fan complaints led to them removing an out-of-character joke about gamergate - of all things - from a DLC they made).
- I'm not sure their remasters do anything that the current mods don't already do. The mods add a bunch of stuff that I like - quests that were removed, dialogue options that were missing, the ability to 'save' Nordom Specifically if you leave for Curst with a full party and meet Vhailor, there's an option that lets you send Nordom into the Modron cube to make space in your party for Vhailor, thus letting you get that companion without leaving someone behind permanently and even enable higher resolutions (though it makes the low-res cinematics look very out-of-place).

GOG currently gives me 30% off if I preorder (something that, again, I don't usually do) so I'm not sure if I should go for it or not.

Does anyone here have experience with the Beamdog remasters? Should I preorder this thing or is it a terrible idea?

All of the fix packs and mods also add bugs. Beamdog at least fixes their bugs.

The remasters in general do a lot more then just upscale things, they add better party UI, better setup the transition from BG1 > 2, editing by the people that originally wrote the games, etc etc. It's hard to write it all out on paper, but suffice to say it's actually really hard to jump back to the og versions now that I'm so used to the EE versions. I have no idea what you mean about the cutscenes, considering they went and made entirely new ones in the spirit of the old cutscenes. I honestly prefer the new painterly cutscenes to the old poser style model cutscenes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIVsIEt4u5g

People are too picky about the new characters. They are about on par with the old Bioware characters. They fit alright/pretty well in BG2 because of this. They don't fit at all in BG1 because they have companion quests/BG2 level dialogue trees when BG1 is a game of "Minsc has two dialogue boxes total.". That was a bigger core problem then "they are written badly.". Goons will argue because they pedestal the old games too much, but the stuff is generally fine. You can easily find a mod that removes them from BG1 and BG2 if you really don't like them. Personally I'd say just remove them from BG1 and then keep them in BG2 because they also add in new zones/as I said they kind of fit the game better then they do 1. Sorry Kirk, I get the feeling they got added to better justify reselling the game, but BG1EE is good enough without them.

Siege of Dragonspear has some dumb stuff in it. Overall it's still worth a playthrough if you love BG, and fits the aesthetic enough. There are dumb enough references in all of the old Infinity Engine games. You would probably enjoy Siege of Dragonspear.

PS:T has some nice mods, but it's also busted to hell. It's got some serious gameplay problems. It's got some serious playability issues. This remaster seems incredible because it's not adding anything. It's fixing the bugs the core game had, adding uprezzing support, giving the original writer a chance to do an editorial pass for formatting issues/readding content he had to cut back in the day, and fixing up the slightly janky core gameplay. Even if you have had problems with past Beamdog products, this seems just like a straight fixup.

Kirk I expect to get paid for my shilling by Friday, tyvm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
One thing people fail to realize is the BG games especially really don't care about your min maxing and "choice".

You want to know how I beat BG2? I was 10/11ish at the time, and when they told me to make a character I wanted to be, I made a Fighter. A burly dude sounded cool to 10 year old me.

I then decided I was very a charismatic and smart Fighter, so I maxxed out Int and Charisma. Wisdom was my second focused stat. I treated Strength as a dump stat on a Fighter, and only occasionally threw points into Con.

I didn't understand how weapon skills work, so I think I just didn't even put points into anything. I played the entire game using Sword/Shield because that seemed the most heroic.

I had Minsc because I thought he was cool and I also gave him Sword/Shield.

I had Keldorn and he had a 2Hander at least, but I never gave him any points in Strength, just in Wisdom.

I beat the entire game, on Core Rules. I don't remember ever really running into a situation I had to restart multiple times. The worst "fight" for me was Kangaxx, which I beat by just using every single scroll I had collected over the course of a whole game to summon a billion creatures to have him focus on while we wailed on him.

But gently caress man. I played through all of BG2 and ToB with a Fighter that had Strength/Dex as dump stats because I WANTED TO BE THE COOLEST FIGHTER and ADnD doesn't explain itself. That alone should say everything you need to know about BG1/2 systems.

( though I will admit now that I know how DnD actually works, the old DnD games "fell" better to play then stuff like PoE. It just took me asking a billion questions constantly to understand how ADnD works, and I still couldn't honestly explain to you how dual class works, or whats the best level to do xyz with dual classes. I still just mainline Fighter every time I play DnD because they are the least complex. ).