Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So wait, you don't want top do a F/M dual at 9 if you plan on doing SoD?

If I'm going BG1 > SoD > BG2 > ToB, should I switch at 7 or 9? Ahhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

prometheusbound2 posted:

Neverwinter Nights has fantastic single player user content as well. Some of the best single player RPG experiences I’ve had were with user made modules. I would argue that Tales of Arterra takes it main plot from Baldur’s Gate but is better (granted I played both many many years ago). Of course, NWN is on GOG and perfectly playable on Windows 10. But perhaps this will revive the modding scene.

No it's not.

The GoG version has a number of core bugs that make it so you can't actually complete either expansion. It's also heavily broken in a lot of key ways on Win 10, in the form of the water bug, the character creation bug, and the metallic skin bug. There are fixes on the forums for some of it, but it only fixes that stuff partially, you'll still meet a lot of NPCs that just don't exist in the game world because they aren't rendering, or people that appear as all metal in the game world. On top of many water bodies just not showing up.

The fixes people have brought up also don't work on the expansions/most modules, only the base game.

I posted about this way back in the thread and got told this stuff was fixed, so I grabbed GoG NWN and tried it out. And yeah the CC/intro bits were fixed, but the longer I played I eventually hit points where the game was just madly broken. And I couldn't beat either expansion due to constant crashes in certain zones, NPCs being invisible and not targetable, etc etc.

This is on top of other weird issues, like it not playing the sound half the time, or playing parts of the sound but not others.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Y'all weak.

Come back to me when you beat Kangaxx and Firkraag with a party consisting of PC ( Fighter, all points into Charisma, 11-12 Strength ), Minsc, Jan, Mazzy, Keldorn and Anomen. Jan also knew basically no spells because he had armor on and was the party thief.

Also you are 14 and barely understand DnD rules, yet are playing Core Rules.

I have no idea to this day how I beat every encounter in all the old DnD games. I think I beat Kangaxx by just spamming every single summon scroll I had saved up over the course of the game to that point.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How are the ToB mods generally? Ascension, Wheel of Prophecy, etc.

I last played ToB uh, when I was 13-14 and thought it was alright. Curious what most goons view as the true way to play through it.

Reddit of course says do all the mods, but Reddit also says the game is incomplete without the kinda all over the place BG1 companion dialogue stuff, the Imoen romance, and weird characters.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
That was the point of the joke yes. Reddit saying Ascension and Wheel of Prophecy are must install, but also saying the incest mod is must install. So they are not great judges of character.

Suspicious posted:

Did you find the final ToB battle too easy? Install Ascension. Was it too hard? Do NOT install Ascension.

Is the story stuff well handled? The Balthazar redemption/new epilogues?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I just realized all the male NPCs in BG2 are kinda lovely people except Minsc who clearly has some sort of mental illness that's likely the result of blunt force trauma to the head (do healing spells not cure CTE?) and Valygar, who's so forgettable I had to look up how to spell his name and realized my original misspelling of his name is actually better (Valgyr).

Now I barely remember Haer'dalis, but I dont remember any issues with him.

And Jan is just Jan.

Yoshimo just made a bad deal. He was forced to do it.

And dont tell me Winston is a bad dude. He's a saint!

Like the only scummy dudes are Anomen, Keldorn, and Cernd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Jan is a con artist, there's no such thing as a moral con artist

if Haer'dalis was real he definitely would've been on the wrong end of a #metoo scandal

I was thinking pre EE so hadn't thought of the monk that I don't know enough about to make a decision, or the bear, who's a bear and I'm not assigning morality to bears one way or the other, but Dorn is a pretty loving awful person

So's the mass murdering dwarf and the wizard who works for an organized crime syndicate that participates in human (person?) trafficking.

Don't get me wrong, Korgan and Edwin are some of my favorite characters, but they are objectively terrible people. It's like when someone says their favorite movie is Goodfellas or The Godfather, I don't assume that means they think the mafia is a good and moral organization.

The bear's epilogue has him make peace with the Salmon and be sainted for it. The bear is a good man.