Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Also wow a backstabbing cleric-thief with divine might and power plus like two pots of invisibility turns Sarevok into any other mook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Suspicious posted:

I wish you could tell your evil NPCs just that but nope. Edwin doesn't see the value of everyone you meet kissing your rear end.
You can tell Dorn that this is your angle if you take him through the end of BG1 into SoD, but... you have to have Dorn (who's not all that bad in combat tbqh)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

The atmosphere of Durlag's is what I think elevates it above everything else. Gameplay is good too of course. I know some people find the absurd amounts of traps tedious but I kinda love that. A part of me misses how punishing early rpgs could be. You'd never see that sort of game design now.
It very intently tells its own (bleak) story which it maintains focus on, which few dungeons bother to do. It's a lot like the Bloodlines hotel level in that way. Very memorable

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Durlag's Tower feels like it's a story they wanted to tell all along but just couldn't make make sense in the context of the protagonist's story.
One of the great things about it is that it is very much an echo of the core game's plot. But they went at the core plot from a pretty orthodox mentality; with Durlag they could define who he was and how he felt about what was happening, but they couldn't, or didn't want to, with the Bhaalspawn. Also BG1 is a much purer dungeon crawl generally, down to the goofy CNPCs (Bioware reached deep into the borscht belt for only the most primo shrew wife / meek husband jokes, they are positively everywhere). The PC is more a passenger to the plot than a participant; you don't even get to say "what's up motherfucker it's me, the guy you can't get rid of" to Sarevok at any point, where you get at least two opportunities with Irenicus alone.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Pretty sure you can even gently caress around with them in EEKeeper and plug them back in, to some degree at least.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

well that sucks

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They're working on something using UE4 related now. Hopefully not with WOTC!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

For whatever reason the music, voice barks and sound effects of NWN1, or at least the first chapter, are seared into the folds of my brain. I had a lot of restartitis, but I was also a kid with 0 concept of system mastery (see also: IWD2). I was the kid who was building characters to fight with rapiers or heavy flails because their icons and animations looked cool. Fuckin idiot, fuckin imbecile

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fwiw I think Storm of Zehir was a cool experiment and expanded what that engine / toolset was capable of, it’s just that those existing difficulties remained intrinsic to it and were just too much of a barrier to NWN1-style longevity.

PWs never had much truck with me for the same reason I could never enjoy, say, the Long War mods for the XCOM franchise. The method they all use to balance a practically never-ending game is a similarly never-ending itemization and specialization. Whole universes of prebuffs and hard counters

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I only ever played with people who really wanted to do psionics in 2e. Is it still a thing where you do absolutely nothing of consequence until you learn Disintegrate and even then you have like a 10% chance of stroking out from all the Professor X brain strain?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's not like what ended up in there became canon anyhow. Like the official line is that the Spirit-Eater "just talked" to the corpse of Myrkul and moved on lmao

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

I’m not even sure if there is a canon inclusion of the events of MotB, I haven’t seen one at least
Oh it'll be addressed... once WOTC gets tired of the Sword Coast and finally throws the spotlight on Thesk, Thay, Thrusk, Rashemen. The real happening spots. Their day will come.
this will never happen
perhaps they could interest you instead in a little place called CANDLEKEEP

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

we love prebuffing don't we folks. Hill gian -- no, fire giant strength, imoen wanted to drink an invulnerability potion but no, she couldn't do that, I told her it's not fair but it's the law -- those potions are for beefy boys. Beefy boys only. And we need our beefy boys, don't we folks. You've got Minsc, you've got Coran -- he learned all his tricks from me, you know, Coran -- and Ajantis, it's terrible that nobody likes him but it's true, he doesn't have any friends -- he can drink the potion too, if he absolutely has to, but everybody's saying, everybody's saying you need Minsc out there on the frontlines. Give em all your pots. All your buffs. His Thac0, it can't be beat

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You get an Archer as an optional companion in SoD (worth playing!) so be aware of that.

My last BG1 playthrough was a fighter/mage and as rope kid suggests, you can pretty easily mod out some of the stupider 2e chargen rules out of the IE games. CDTweaks alone includes a bit of stuff that allows you to, at the very least, open up class options toward 3E+ as far as the engine allows (still no dualing on Stalker or Monk, etc). Dwarf mages! Elf paladins! The only tiny weirdness is that now anyone can be a dwarven defender! But even Beamdog got sick of 2E's poo poo and made a half-orc paladin.

Because I wasn't all that interested in balance in my last game, I used EEKeeper to change my CDTweak'd Half-orc fighter/mage into a berserker/mage. The berserk state is an insane self-buff for all sorts of reasons but add in wizard versatility and it's terrifying.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

One thing I really love about Siege of Dragonspear is how it incorporated kiting melee combatants into the AI’s bag of tricks. Makes me nostalgic for the good old days of the PoE thread when a particular Codexian poster went into meltdown over the disrespect to the IE games shown in the inclusion of engagement / attacks of opportunity. Naturally PoE2’s “old school” game mode did away with engagement along with things like the death-preventing injury system.

It’s enough to make one wonder if there were people who actually played BG1 as originally intended, with downed party members replaced instead of revived on death.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Pretty sure Leto does it but you have to find the forum thread (not Beamdog’s, RIP) that details how to mess with characters inside a save. It’s a little more complicated than EEKeeper

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

what the hell, here's the instructions for using Leto to gently caress with a NWN save

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You could tell that when BG1 rolled through and BioWare realized how attached players got to their party composition (which would become the organizing principle behind their design until Anthem) they whipped up Yoshimo as a means of preserving the starting lineup through the events of BG2’s core plot, without being obvious about it. Which is actually really smart

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Sahuagin city isn't even critical path, you have to be an idiot and trust Simon a second time in order to even see it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Beamdog content is better than most of the core content

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

The great troll with Anomen is he's arguably the best NPC or close to it in the game if you can tolerate his personality.

He's a powerhouse
In terms of versatility it's hard to beat Jaheira + stoneskin.

Speaking of which, glad she's in the new one, and I expect her Dark True Neutral BG2 characterization will gel quite nicely with the grimness of Larian's whole deal.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So what’s the word on IWD2EE? How gonzo are its added mechanics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

If you're in doubt, you can always just install the engine enhancements, it's all modular anyway.
I just means in terms of feel -- how new mechanics are abstracted and implemented into the IE. IME it's pretty rare for extensive TCs to "gel" with old design, and as a result you have this weird over-complication, especially with UI cruft, and you can tell where things were extended into their own thing rather than integrated into the existing structure. Like the Skyrim survival mods where you have the standard UI but then to access mod content you use a special firefly-based holographic UI that is only accessed through placing a special campfire. Or in NWN2 (already an overcomplicated UI) where the most popular auto-buffing mod created a special wand you script-tagged spells to and activated as an item from the inventory screen. The best TCs are relatively seamless.