Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

Takes No Damage posted:

One of the things I tried to do was only get mods that 'enhanced' the original experience, not the ones that made all the female characters topless or added a bunch of poo poo romantic dialogue options. My goal for BG 1-2 was to mash them both together and have a giant consistent game with all the official 'deleted scenes' added back in, with a few sprinkles of the best-of fan content, if any. The instructions I wrote out for myself are below, feel free to tell me how you think I did.

code:
Install in order:
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
BGII Fix Pack
BGT (this is what mashes the 2 games together, and lets you play BG1 with BG2 graphics)
Ascension ('fixes' the final boss fight of the game)
BG1 Unfinished Business (restores cut content to BG1)
BG2 Unfinished Business (restores cut content to BG2)
Dark Side of the Sword Coast (fan made, decent optional content)
Northern Tales of the Sword Coast + patch (fan made, decent optional content)
Mini Quests Encounters (short fan made sidequests, some decent little asides for your characters to deal with)
Al's Restoration Project (tries to restore literally all unused game sounds, as well as some minor cut characters or locations)
Setup-BGTMusic.exe (so you can set it to play BG1 music in BG1, otherwise it would be BG2 the whole way through)
BG2 Tweak Pack (I go through the list and pick and choose what to install, skip most of it but some decent bits for convenience sake)
Font Mod toolfont (bigger fonts for HD screens)
Widescreen mod (duh)
and I've got a portrait pack or 2 in this folder as well, if you want a little more variety or are just tired of looking at the same faces)
The two Sword Coast packs are the biggest changes, adding basically fan-made side areas the size of major quests within the vanilla game, everything else I tried to keep as low impact as possible to preserve the feel of the original games, just with a few modern conveniences thrown in.

If you haven't played the game before I would argue you overdid it by a pretty wide margin here. DSotSC was poo poo when it came out in the late 90s and it probably hasn't gotten any better. The only thing from NTotSC I tried was the GUI mod so you could play the original BG1 (*without* Tutu/BGT) widescreen and not have it look like poo poo, the rest of the stuff looked like badly translated fanfiction. Those are your biggest offenders.

I would really suggest (if you are going in blind) that the only mods worth installing are the G3 fixpack, the widescreen if you need it, and some convenience tweaks from the Tweak Pack (most of it is dumb but I can see the inventory management stuff being desirable). If you have the EE don't install *any* mods right off the bat, at all.

The only content mod I would even consider playing for a first run would be BG1 Unfinished Business. Not to be confused with BG2 Unfinished Business (which is mostly poorly written and not at all necessary - some of that stuff was cut for a reason). Most of the additions are subtly done, relatively well written, and adds some much needed dialogue (even if it is minor) to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Is BG1:EE pretty much bug free now? And how buggy is BG2:EE at this point?

BG1 EE just had a huge patch that took over 6 months to come out. Not to say it's a 100% bug free but it is in my opinion the definitive version of the game now.

BG2 EE just came out less than a week ago and it's still a bit rough around the edges. It's not nearly as bad as the BG1EE launch was but you should definitely wait until more of the more obnoxious problems (such as disappearing enemies) are fixed before giving it a go.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does anyone know off the top of their head which of the BG2 fixpack fixes causes items to have the wrong description text in BG1EE? Before I go uninstalling them one by one to figure it out.

You shouldn't be using any fixpacks with BG1EE.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

Just use bgtweaks to enable 100% spell learn chance.

(let's not pretend you don't reload when you fail to learn an important spell)

After countless playthroughs I finally managed to kick this habit recently.

Maybe it's because I have a bit of a masochistic streak when it comes to gaming but I actually kind of like the concept, as it adds tension when you are trying to scribe an expensive scroll. It makes potions of genius actually serve a purpose. It also helps with the economy a bit for all the mid-level scrolls, as I hate having over a hundred thousand gold on me at any given time (I usually install the SCS tweak to triple the Shadow Thieves' asking price to 60,000/45,000 gold to help with this as well).

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

What soundsets do you guys use for your PC?

Baldur's Gate II's soundsets are so much shittier than BG1's - Male02 is great, but after 10 years of using nothing but that soundset I'm getting pretty tired of it. I've thought about importing the BG1 soundset (and it placates the :spergin: in me since my PC keeps the same voice throughout the trilogy), but it's kind of a bummer how few lines he has compared to the BG2 soundsets).

I guess I could pull some from IWD2 but that sounds like a hell of a lot of work.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

Arivia posted:

I just finished IWD for the first time. Something feels very phoned in about the two expansions:

It's been close to a decade since I've played Heart of Winter, so I can't really comment on the additional campaign too much, but people always overlook all the under-the-hood stuff when it comes to the expansion.

Heart of Winter was (I believe) the first project Josh Sawyer worked on at Black Isle, and it shows. Classes that have sucked poo poo in every other 2nd edition D&D game were buffed and made viable. It's the only game you'll catch me playing a bard or a druid in.

I'm pretty sure they implemented the 3rd ed sneak attack for rogues as well. There's a ton of balance changes. Try playing the original campaign without HoW installed and see the difference.

Still, if that is the case about the expansion's campaign itself that's really too bad. Never played TotL and I've been planning on a revisit and finishing up the game and both expansions eventually. Always bothered me that when IWD2 references the original game it says the group disappeared after starting the ToTL quest and were never heard from again - WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BROS?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So until the end of the first map :v:

(I kid)

The exact same thought was running through my head. I thought most people used Xzar and Monty for a little while at least; I am alone with Imoen literally for about 20 steps.

Antignition fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 5, 2014

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

Rookersh posted:

They are? That's silly but understandable I suppose.

BG1 NPC Banter pack is both amazing and terrible at the same times. I'm enjoying seeing Khalid/Jaheria/Imoen talk about stuff as they would from their BG2 personalities. On the other hand, they need to tone it down/have them shut up a bit. I've had Imoen pop up to talk to me about adventuring 10 times or so just from Candlekeep to Beregost. It can't imagine they can keep this up all the way to the end of the game, and if they could, I'm not sure I want them to.

I'm also really not sure what to do with this game as I hit Beregost. I like making a Fighter with 18 Str/Dex/Con that hits things really well, and it's always done me right in BG1. The problem is that every time I hit BG2, I end up using Mazzy/Keldorn/Minsc/Sarevok/more melee guys because all the melee guys are the best, and Nalia/Aerie are kind of creepy/poorly written. So I want to actually have a Mage of some sort this time.

Neera works I suppose for the slot, but I've been thinking of making my PC a Mage as well. Except I HATE playing Mage in BG1. You basically have to rely entirely on the other party members to do anything for half the game. It's just not very fun at all.

So do I keep going forward with the Mage and just suck it up? Reroll as a Fighter and just deal with a 3-4 Fighter party in BG2? Dualclass a Fighter/Mage? ( Could I even cast spells in Plate/hit things from time to time? ). Trying to figure it all out.

The NPC project gets a bad rap, in my opinion, because the person who wrote Imoen really went to town with the "annoying little sister" trope. And Imoen's the standard NPC that everyone takes. I mean, sure, she's supposed to be kind of annoyingly cheerful in the first game but maybe you can tone it down a bit and not make her completely unlikeable in the process.

I remember thinking the NPC project was pretty bad because of this, but I just kicked her out and found that Xzar and Montaron were written pretty well (particularly Xzar - the author did a much better job fleshing him out then Bioware did in BG2). I don't remember Khalid and Jaheira being that bad either.

Really just kicking Imoen out of the group should solve most of your problems.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

So i was thinking of starting another BG2 playthrough, and decided to hunt for some hotfixes to some of the more annoying bugs - namely Jaheira's Harper's Call not working and the PC only being able to assume Slayer form once per game - and I came across: this thread.

Long story short, all of the enemies in BG1EE and BG2EE had all of their proficiencies unassigned. I believe this was corrected in BG1EE because they've had a few patches since then, but in the *9 month* interim between patches for BG2EE the problem still exists.

Christ Beamdog is run like poo poo.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

Jaheira's harper call doesn't work either.

Oh, and there's also a "minor" bug where most NPC's HAVE NO PROFICIENCIES.

I still think it's hilarious that a bug that has a huge impact on the difficulty of the game is relatively unknown next to not being able to change into the slayer more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Besides "Should've got the original!" do you guys have any suggestions before I start up Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition? I get the impression the original game wasn't designed for all these classes.

Speaking of IWD:EE, did they literally just copy/paste the BG2 classes over? Or did they try to account for the class differences between games? I.e: Did they implement any of ropekid & co.'s Heart of Winter changes that made bards and druids actually good? How about being able to backstab like in 3E?