Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay so I have a question on behalf of my boyfriend who is playing BG2 for the first time. He killed Valygar in the Umar Hills and I'd guess now has his body. (I've never killed poor Valygar, hence not being sure.)

If he goes and turns Valygar's body into the Cowled Wizards, can he still get into the Planar Sphere somehow or will he lock himself out forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TraderStav posted:

What is it about the notion of priests and clerics being badasses of war that is just so awesome?

Probably going to reroll my first playthrough of BG1 already as I dumped INT without realizing I couldn't use ID scrolls. Also, can you resurrect NPCs in your party? A black bear ripped Imoen to shreds and I would hate to have lost her already had I continued with that save.

Looking forward to tonight. Going to be spending 12 hours in a parked car with my iPad on the car charger.

You can resurrect NPCs. In BG1, this is done by talking to an NPC - there's one in every town, the main cleric at the local temple. The three you're likely to run across early in the game are:

-At the Friendly Arm Inn, SE of the entrance to the inn proper is an entrance to the temple.
-In Beregost, exit the town map on the eastern side (ie: the exit by the smithy) to unlock another zone on your map called Temple. In Temple, follow the path to the main building and take the center entrance to meet the priest.
-In Nashkel, it's the big building in the middle of the cemetery.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of Icewind Dale, I'm running through it for the first time. Do I need to go and do the Heart of Winter stuff at some point during presumably Chapter 7 like ToTSC, or is there some way to do it after completing the main campaign like with ToB?

Additionally, I'm assuming I shouldn't worry about level-capping out on my first play through since Heart of Fury mode is essentially a New Game+, right?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Someone got a link to a list of all the arcane and divine spells that overlap? Figured I wouldn't teach Aerie anything she is going to learn anyway naturally.

Remove Fear, Hold Person, and Protection From Evil (but not protection from evil 10' radius.)

There's not much.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zedprime posted:

The expansion can be done during the main game at any point before the point of no return involving turning in a full set of badges. It can also be started with the end of game save. I like the latter so as to not make the original end boss a joke.

Related note, Luremaster must be done before the point of no return involving storming an island hideout. There's no preset way to load directly in but in a pinch you can load your party into a new HoW game with your end of game save and go directly to the Luremaster if you miss it.

I think its even tough to level cap in a HoF game but you have the right idea.

Just reached this point, and I thought I'd offer a tip for anyone else who did this. It worked fine, but be sure to make a save at the point of no return (before you put the badges in.) The export worked well, and IWD automatically imported my party into Heart of Winter - but minus one thing. Any bags I was carrying from the IWD fix/tweak pack (scroll case, gem bag, bag of holding) were gone, and anything in them. So I have to go back to my backup save and finish the game with god mode on and taking anything really good out of the bags first (because wow that was a hell of a tough ending.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Taliesyn posted:

Yeah, it's a longsword, and it not only starts identified (so no unidentified magic item graphic to give it away), but it uses the same icon as the regular, non-magical longsword. It's INCREDIBLY easy to miss it.

Also the fact it's hidden literally inside a wall.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

:monocle:

I think I need to replay this game.

Note that if you use IWD Unfinished Business, you have to finish a quest involving a Voice for Pale Justice to be available.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

So I won't see ANY story items/characters/references from BG1/2 into IWD 1/2? I get it, its a different region of Faerun, just wasn't sure.

Items: What? Where? I know you have to build that halberd and you don't get the last part of it until the very end of the game before facing, I think, Bodhi. I know you can get the flail pretty quickly (though its difficult, and I'm never a fighter so it doesn't matter for me), but beyond that, all of the super uber items are hidden at the end of the game.

Or am I way off base here?

There might be like 1 reference but not really.

There's always stuff you get in the final dungeon but IWD has the least of it. There's a sword you can get in the final area that you can keep using once you import your party to Heart of Winter.

Also, one note: IWD has several quest NPCs with generic names like "Townsfolk." Talk to everyone or you'll miss a quest or two. This starts as early as the very first area of the game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
And high Intelligence scores get you more spell slots, I think.

Or maybe they don't.

I forget.

gently caress 2e.

Just put your Int up anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

Playing a mage that doesn't have a decent intelligence score has always seemed like the gamiest thing. I mean, I get why it's advisable to put nothing into the score, but I can never bring myself to do it.

"I spend most of my life studying books and scrolls, but I'm actually retarded as gently caress."

Wizards are pretty much the Peter Principle in adventuring form, anyway. There's tons of Forgotten Realms stories about mages who reached too far for their own stupidity.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also Yoshimo is the main part of the most rewarding quest in the game (in terms of xp reward.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So BG2 EE is still super hosed and buggy, right? Kinda feeling the itch to play again, but I won't do it if that would just be painfully bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
And a follow-up question:

How did the EE do in terms of making evil parties work? Is there now some options in BG2? They probably aren't great but it would be fun to take all the gently caress you options and mess around with Korgan and crew for the first time ever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Yeah see I'm the opposite. I'd rather have a very slow incremental gain in power over time. To go from +1 to +2 to +3, and use and enjoy each level for as long as possible. That's why I leave the dragons/itches until chapter 4 and I don't set foot in Watchers keep until TOB. Well except floor 1 I guess. You kinda need floor 1 for the ammo belt and potion box. Those items make the game way less annoying.

You can just install the BG2 Tweak Pack, there's an option to add ammo belts and potion bags to vendors before ToB if I remember correctly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Is there a list somewhere of all the extra items and stuff added to the EE games and where they can be found?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

BG2 was plenty goofy and BG1 is goofier, and they're set in the Forgotten Realms, which stands above other D&D settings because of its goofiness

The Forgotten Realms is pretty ungoofy. It is ungainly but that's because it's been touched by so many writers over 25 years.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

A big problem of inventory management is the loving quest items. I'm pretty sure that if your quest is done you can drop 100% of the items related to it in the trash. Like BG1 has 2 really important quest items and the item description literally says "THIS IS IMPORTANT. DO NOT THROW AWAY". For BG2 you should be fine throwing it all out once the quest is closed. If it's something that makes you nervous, like MAYBE it might get used later, just use the bag of holding.

From what I can remember though, the only real item that matters AFTER the quests associated with it are done is the shadow dragon ward stone. But why would you ever go back there after the quest if you dont want to just kill it?

Isn't part of Mazzy's quest/that weird thing with the hidden treasure past the shadow dragon again?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

That pretty much sums up BG2 NPC mods.

There's nothing wrong with the age: 15+ has universally been the starting age for D&D characters (elves start at 115). What is wrong is all the sex and the emphasis that person puts on sex.

The MC and Imoen are likely the same age when they leave Candlekeep.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jneer posted:

What do you mea-

ew.

gross.

so gross.

The NPCs are half the reason to play BG2 - why would someone replace them with THAT?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sleep of Bronze posted:

why do you not have this memorised i am so mad

Because let's face it the tutorial of Baldur's Gate is extraordinarily boring.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'll stick to the original Forgotten Realms narrator thanks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Please give Elminster his full title: "Ed Greenwood's self-insert godly-powerful Wizard who spends his time having sex with beautiful women (when he's not turning himself into one for fun times) and has a door in his tower that leads to Ed Greenwood's closet so they can share beer."

You're wrong: the portal is in his space station. Which is separate from the hidden refuge his underwear takes him to when he's hurt greatly.

Also those dates for Baldur's Gate are wrong. I'll get the right ones in a little bit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

I wonder if Greenwood was inspired to include the incident where Elminster was turned into a woman by Mystra and became her priestess by the ancient Greek legend regarding the famous seer Tiresias, who was turned into a woman by Hera and became her priestess. Though I think it would have been a more interesting story if Greenwood had followed the legend more closely and had Elminster marry a man and have children.

El was using Elmara as a disguise until at least the mid-1370s, so it's not impossible. I wouldn't be surprised if he gave it a go, considering all of Elminster's children - I'd start looking at Silverfall, the Seven Sisters, and Elminster's Daughter for any hints.

BG1, BG2, and ToB all take place in 1368 (see Grand History of the Realms page 148.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

We DO first meet Elminster on the same map as the belt ogre, not 50 meters away. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Doesn't he actually come up to you right at the beginning of the game? like the first wilderness map?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Despite traps being literally hidden death, there's several parts in both BG1 and BG2 that would be ruined without them, so a mod that did that would be pretty lovely.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Wait, so the events of all three games take place over the course of a single year?

How is that even possible?

e: No, apparently it all ends in 1369/1370, so it's 2-3 years.

No - ToB might end in 1369 - there's no listing of when Melissan dies - but everything from Sarevok through to Yaga-Shura's sacking of Saradush all takes place in 1368 as per the Grand History.

One thing that might be causing a little confusion is that I think the canonical version is actually the novels, as Jim Butler described back in the day on REALMS-L; anything with the logo on it should be canon, but the lorelords and Ed Greenwood and so on have the choice of which version to work with. Novels were probably just easier than games, but that doesn't mean they ignore them - Neverwinter Nights' plague takes place on Tarsakh 30, 1372 DR, for example.

Also Elmara is unrelated to the belt of masculinity/femininity; see Elminster: Making of a Mage parts 2 and 3.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

I know absolutely nothing about D&D lore except the generic fantasy stuff, or anything particular to Faerūn really, and all of this stuff is so confusing. Is Elminster a character from the source material and not just from Baldur's Gate? Are there actual cameos by characters from the D&D rulebooks? what?

Correct. Much of what's in Baldur's Gate comes from the Forgotten Realms, a detailed setting for running Dungeons and Dragons games; a good portion of the game stems from novels released in the Forgotten Realms (like Drizzt Do'Urden, a super popular novel character.) Elminster and Volo were both created by the setting's creator, Ed Greenwood, as voices for explaining the setting; this is how they're used in the Baldur's Gate manual for example.

The adherence to the setting decreases as Baldur's Gate continues - BG1 is VERY close to a lot of setting material, while Throne of Bhaal makes some really bad mistakes and throws out canon at some points.

But to give you some examples: Candlekeep, Oghma, Tethtoril, and Alaundo are all from the setting material. Gorion isn't, but the Harpers are; the Friendly Arm Inn, Beregost, Taerom Fuiruim, High Hedge, and Thalantyr are; the Iron Throne, the Flaming Fist, Scar, Duke Eltan, Bhaal, and the leaders of the Throne that appear at Candlekeep are all from other material. Elminster, Volo, and Drizzt are all from other sources, of course.

edit: FLAMING Fist, my head is SO not in the Western Heartlands right now.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 31, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mercrom posted:

Yes, the gameplay consisting of navigating headless chickens through eyes of needles would be ruined without all the landmines.

I wish this game got an actual enhanced edition that instead of adding a bunch of bad fanfiction eliminated the need for poo poo like using ctrl-J to get through a doorway.

A lot of tension in both Davaeorn's lair and the dungeons under Skullport wouldn't work without traps; it's a bit of a gotcha but I think the game would be far less without them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

verybad posted:

Only good use of traps in BG1 is in Durlag's Tower. Everywhere else it's just a bullshit trap tile in the middle of a nondescript corridor.

The traps in Davaeorn's lair shape the battlefield really well - you have to be exceedingly careful where you step, and you have a vanishingly small area to maneuver in unless you clear more space and possibly get the attention of more enemies.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 31, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of Drizzt, are there any recommended mods for playing through BG1:EE at this point? Ammo stacking and getting a bag of holding would be the two things I'd like most if possible.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Good to know, thanks. I didn't know if it negated some other things. So once I have one level in rogue, can I keep putting points into pick lock/find traps? Or am I limited to only so many ranks since technically its 1 level of rogue and the rest are wizard?

The monk druid thing sounds pretty sweet, but almost cheating, haha.

Edit: Oh yeah and what is the max level going to end up being?

Somewhere around 20.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's a pretty big boon, but it's not going to break the game entirely. You have it set to at least normal difficulty, right?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I kept getting my rear end beat in IWD1. They would just beat the crap out of my paladin, and my thief was almost useless. His best thing was to agro and then run around since he was useless in combat. Had -6 AC on my guys and they'd still get owned :( I also didn't like how the AI seemed to notice who had the lowest, and would turn to fight them from time to time.

Ah well, gonna start IWD2. I think I might ditch the rogue, give a level of rogue to my wizard and then replace the rogue with a bard. I just want to be able to open everything and sense/disarm all traps. I hope one level of rogue will allow me to keep pumping stats into it.

In IWD2 is wearing armor on a theif/mage worth it, or is the chance of spell failure too high?

It will allow you to keep pumping the skills, yes. I'm not exactly sure how IWD2 interprets it, but basically "trapfinding" is a thing anyone can do in 3e, it's just that rogues have a class ability at 1st level that's necessary for finding some traps. By taking a rogue level, you get that ability, and you also make it so you can get higher points in it than classes that don't get disable device/open lock/search can.

Armour might be worth it - you can take some feats to decrease the arcane casting failure. It's a percentage listed per armour.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Take thief first. You get a x4 bonus to your skill points at level 1, so it's important to get that bonus and be able to put it into your thief skills to keep up; you won't be able to do that if you take wizard first. You'll be fine without a wizard at first level - you might have to pay for someone to identify something for you, big whoop.

edit: Also regarding IWD don't forget there's a new game+ mode in Heart of Fury, so you are supposed to have something to progress towards!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I never got those guys in any of my parties. I feel like I may be missing out. I found Dynaheir to be a pretty effective mage *shrug*. I'm sure Edwin is better, but..he's evil and messes up having Minsc in the party.

Khalid was just a good meat shield. Sure, others may be better, but I didn't like splitting him off since I'm all sentimental.

The problem is that Khalid for some reason breaks morale very very easily, spending a good number of fights running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Also one note for you and anyone else playing IWD: play the base game all the way through, then import your characters into the expansion. There's a very good weapon you can only get if you do it this way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What's optimal for the end of BG1 isn't what's optimal for the opening dungeon of BG2

Sure it is: install a mod and forget it ever existed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

There are mods that let you skip Chateau Irenicus and the Thieves' Maze. He's making a joke that the best way to deal with both of these dungeons is to excise them entirely.

She, but yes. I didn't even know there was a mod to skip the Thieves' Maze!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Taear posted:

Why not just go for longswords and axes? Short swords and daggers are pretty atrocious.

Those can't be finessed, and aren't light weapons for the purposes of two-weapon fighting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just finished IWD for the first time. Something feels very phoned in about the two expansions: there's very little new art (maps, item icons, barbarian enemies) and the off-kilter makes-no-sense treasure generation where you're drowning in protective items and random poo poo that doesn't match up at all is just odd. Also the difficulty curve is kind of amusing: TotL's spectral guards are incredibly vicious, and it's a huge step down from that to the vaguely dangerous scrags, ice golems, and dragon on the Sea of Moving Ice (not to mention the thousand or so trash mobs on top of that.)

Heart of Fury mode is arguably worse: everything's just damage sponges that hit for no damage, and you're starting right at the beginning treasure-wise. I'll go play BG:EE if I want an andar gem and a scroll of Horror to be good loot. It's a shame since an NG+ to really sink my teeth into would be amazing.

It was vaguely interesting from a strategy standpoint to see how the orc cave's challenge is simply how fragile you are; the enemies are spaced incredibly widely and just break on a tank that can take more than 2 hits. There were three ogres at the end! They just died to chain lightning and dropped 50 gold.

It's just disappointing and I'm not sure why they shipped HoF mode so incomplete. Oh well, saves me time I can spend on the next thing in my backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of mods, is there a BG:EE compatible mod list somewhere?