Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
I just started BG2 with a priest of Talos after taking her through BG1 and I'm starting to find the class a bit boring. I have quite a few self buffs but by the time I've cast them all everybodys dead already or very near it. The duration of these buffs doesn't really allow out of combat casting unless you know a fight is coming. I thought mind controlling enemies would be fun but targets rarely fail their save or they don't have a mind to turn (undead).
Turning undead, while useful isn't exactly the most exciting thing to do, I can't really seem to hit much and basically I'm just trying to find any role that is not 'stand around chanting and blessing while everybody else kills things'.

I'm currently level 7, will I be able to have fun with cool spells/abilities later on? Post your favourite way to play a priest of Talos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
Gotta say that the way my evil playthrough is going is pretty satisfying in a hosed up way.

So far I've Murdered Keldorn in the sewer, stood by while Viconia got burned, burst unnanounced into some guys wedding and slaughtered everybody (Dorns idea) walked into the druid grove, poisoned the water spoiling the land and then killed every one including Cernd and overall have been picking the aggressive/psychotic conversation options where ever possible which provokes a surprising amount of situations to just collapse into a straight brawl. When Nalias mother talked down her nose at me while I was risking my neck for her home that ended badly for her, Nalia was stood right there as well :(

The knights who had been made to appear as ogres got gibbed, as did the Umar hills bunch I know can be reasoned with. As a preist of Talos so far I've got one guy to murder his cheating wife and her lover then ratted him out to the city guard and when a woman came to me and confided she had began to question her faith I executed her on the spot for heresy.
The temple higher ups are really pleased with how I've chosen to discharge my duties and so far haven't mentioned Valgyrs dead body and a mercenary dwarfs severed head that I have stuffed in the chest at the foot of my bed.

Having to sneak into the city occasionally to donate to get my rep above despised is a pain and prices at the shops suck but tbh not having to pussy foot around people and actually kind of acting like the motherfucking Bhaalspawn that I am is great.

I did get Neb for the little kid though because gently caress that guy.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

Mitt Romney 2012

Tenacious J posted:

1. Should I skip BG1?

Somebody in another thread said that people new to the games should play BG2 first and then BG1 after and treat it sort of like a prequel and as much as I really like 1 it's hard to disagree with that.
BG1 is ball crushingly unfair, it's so bad it has to be intentional and not just low level problems. Things like Tarnesh mirror image + horror at the entrance to an inn the game has explicitly told you to go, getting ambushed constantly even in your starting home area, the nashkel mines which you are prodded toward fairly early and they're filled with packs of kobold archers and traps in very tight corridors where it's impossible to maintain a formation and everybody is squishy as gently caress anyway.
Rezzing is hella expensive and party members will die constantly, wilderness areas not far off the beaten path can have packs of monsters that turn you to stone instantly, you can even get randomly struck by lightning for good damage by just standing around minding your own business outside while it's stormy.

If that sounds like fun definitely jump in but there should be no doubt this game hates you as do most of your party members who when you select them will constantly sass/insult and just generally put you on blast.

I personally love BG1 but no doubt BG2 is a lot better.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

Mitt Romney 2012
Does anybody know where I can get the large and medium versions of this portrait from BG1 EE?

I could only find the small version and this is it scaled correctly in GIMP but it looks like straight cheeks.
It only shows up on the char screen but it's kind of annoying me :spergin:

I have googled it but all I can find are custom packs with poo poo like this in them:

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

Mitt Romney 2012
I thought Hexxat was gay? she's hitting on my male PC and at one point referred to him as a woman. Maybe being sex changed at the time due to a wild surge had bugged it out.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

Mitt Romney 2012
There's a protection from undead scroll in one of the tombs, cast it on someone who has a +2(?) or better weapon and send them in alone. He won't even attack you.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

Mitt Romney 2012
Jesus christ I just started ToB with my wild mage that I have taken through 1 and 2 on core rules and it's brutal, fire giants are two shotting my front liners (usually Sarevok and Jaheira, they have -10 and -5 or 6 AC) and hexxat is getting squashed.
Any tips? every encounter is a reload and buff fest with my PC the most survivable because the staff of magi has infinite invis.

I got to room with four fire giants and everybody died in about 2 seconds apart from the PC So for a laugh I decided to stack the 3 chaos shields I had in spell sequencer with an improved chaos shield, cast simulacra and went on a timestop, reckless dweomer > summon fiend > reckless dweomer wail of the banshee > reckless dweomer horrid wilting > reckless dweomer limited wish > refresh spells repeat x 3 and when the game came back to life it chugged, everything died and it crashed :/

Chaos shields do stack right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

Mitt Romney 2012
Is there a way to lose aggro in IWD2? I used my sorcerer to cast an aoe from distance and draw the group to the party but none of them would stop chasing the caster, even when they took damage from other characters. Same thing happened when we entered a cave and a troll was right in the doorway and he decided to go for the caster and just would never change target, I had to keep manually moving her around kiting him while my party swiped and shot at him. Seems odd that the so called combat IE games have a worse enemy target choice.

Also, maybe because it's early in the game but I've heard repeatedly that the 'encounter design' is better in the IWD games but imho putting orc archers behind barrels and ledges is just annoying, maybe if they had improved the pathing or something but navigating with any precision was never one of the infinity engines strengths.

The items are weird too, I can't tell at a glance, the difference between chain and splint or studded and regular leather. How did they make this worse than Baldur's Gate 1 which came out before it :psyduck: