Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You cannot re-hire her either then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

This "learning curve" for me is usually ends with reducing the diffuclty for a single combat and then set it back.

Surprisingly, I only do this in Bioware games.

E:
Oh and I have one suggestion: Don't play vanilla BG1! Just don't! The engine itself is pretty horrible with awful pathfinding, AI and enemy spawns if the fog of war cowers a single trigger pixel (I really want to know if they fixed this in patches or EE).
Get Tutu or other mod that make you play BG1 on BG2 engine or get Enhanced edition.

Bholder fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 28, 2013

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Hate it or not, I can't wait for a 4E Infinity game...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

2) All of the CNPCs were characters that the devs rolled up for PnP games, and in contrast to BG2, most are not that munchkin-y in the stats department or are munchkin-y in the wrong stats for their class. 17-18 primary stats are rare. A lot of people kill-kick Khalid because his stats suck for a fighter. But those are the breaks.

That explains a lot, especially Imoen's stats.

And there are character banter in BG1 but they are extremely rare.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So I decided to play Baldur's Gate again, Trilogy with the original boxset not EE.

Anyway, I remember from a long time ago I got a weird bug where NPC banters would just stop, for example I got the Nether scroll for Edwin but he would never actually read it.
I didn't mod the game back then, but I remember playing around with the AI scripts so since then I was afraid touching giving anyone AI scripts because I thought that would stop all NPC banter.

I'd like to ask if anyone knows what might be behind this bug even though I doubt I will see it again since now I have every single patch installed with all manner of mods and fixes and this time I have Shadowkeeper to fix things.

Bholder fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 16, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

One of the main themes of the series is the struggle between how you identify yourself vs. how others perceive you.

An interesting theme that was never touched upon in the series.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Nycticeius posted:

I haven't played SoD yet, but I'm curious about Minsc's infamous line. Can somebody post a screenshot or transcribe it? Thanks.

link

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

armoredgorilla posted:

Actually, anything that dunks on bitchbaby gamergaters is automatically good and extremely funny.

That's the thing, it doesn't "dunk" them or mention them at all, it just says the word "ethics" like it's instant comedy gold.

And I honestly wouldn't care if it weren't already done the exact same lazy way a million time already.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Bhaal will always be alive in our hearts. Literally.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

But the "ethics" is so funny you guys and totally meshes with Minsc's character who cares so much about "ethics". Wow I cannot utter this word without giggling, it so hilarious

Haha, ethics, haha, so funny...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Arivia posted:

Yes, that's been a running joke on the internet for over a year now, you're right.

That's the issue though. It wasn't funny the first time it appeared nor the thousandth time people started to parrot it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You don't find it funny, ergo what? It should be removed? If every joke that some people didn't find funny was removed from the series Minsc wouldn't even be appearing at all

No, but it won't be missed.

Also we wouldn't have this shitshow in the first place if not for that one line, but hey this pissed off a bunch of people and that wins me internet points or something.

Acaila posted:

Just loaded it up - the Minsc line comes right after he says a parody line referencing Baby Got Back. Yep, can't mention GamerGate in the midst of high fantasy dialogue like that (not to mention the day coming where Tiax will point and click!)

Thing is, Baby Got Back doesn't remind me of a lovely slapfight that's been going on way too long and the last thing we need is to keep reminding people that it still exists.

It does however remind me that Anaconda exists which just barely reaches the same level of annoyance.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Jimmies were rustled.

If only my posts wouldn't be that huge, jesus christ...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

A lot of people think themselves Judge Dredd when playing these games, huh?

Justice purges evil. Once all have been cleansed, the multiverse achieves perfection.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Only real bullshit is that if your Main Character dies or gets turned to stone it's instant game over while you can resurrect everyone else

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I will never understand why people want Baldur's Gate 3 unless it is a remake of Throne of Bhaal into a full standalone game like it was originally planned.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I mean if we are ignoring the Bhaalspawn plot and just make another Forgotten Realms DnD, it's hardly Baldur's Gate anymore.

Might as well consider Neverwinter Nights the real Baldur's Gate 3.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Is it time again to argue how there shouldn't be a Baldur's Gate 3?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

It's going to be weird when, after years of referring to Baldur's Gate 1+Baldur's Gate 2+Throne of Bhaal as The Baldur's Gate Trilogy, someone releases a game called Baldur's Gate 3 (that may not even be a direct continuation of that story)

Which begs the question why bother calling it Baldur's Gate in the first place.

No, I still cannot get over that.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I got to ask, what is the state of the Neverwinter Nights EE right now? I keep hearing it is not worth using if you have the base game, but otherwise it is ok, also there is an issue when it comes to mods, but I'm not sure what it was or if it was fixed or not.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Some groups also spawn when you uncover a certain part of the map.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Do they call Bodhi by name while she is running around as a vampire? If not this is a pretty cool way to make our hero trust her, might be better than how it was done in the game.

Still the constant "she breasted around boobily" text gets a bit ridiculous, I was thinking maybe Imoen will be treated better than the rest of the female cast, but then I remembered the few things I heard about the novel...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

DeadButDelicious posted:

In vanilla BGEE/BG2EE (so without SCS or any tweaks or whatever installed) do you actually suffer a penalty to use ranged weapons at melee range? It's bugged me since NWN had a feat for using ranged weapons in melee (point blank shot, or close shot, or something?) and I've never noticed what the deal was with ranged weapons at melee distance in BG1/2.

There is no penalty, but you get damaged more from enemy melee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Ironically mages are the tankiest class in Baldur's Gate because they have multiple spells that straight up ignore the usual rules.

Right at the beginning you get mirror images which means you get around 4 hits that you can just ignore and it's instantly casted if needed in a pitch, then later there's stoneskin which adds a bunch of extra HP that doesn't even count for magic interruption and later on you get to be straight up immune to different attacks or even elements.

You just need to see all the annoying Mage bosses in BG2 and how pretty much all of them live for way too long, capable of casting every spell, now imagine these guys but they can also use swords.

Early on you do need to compensate for the lack of armor and the best way to do that is to go ranged. In general ranged is very strong in BG1. Once you have all the tools you can go in the front and whack people in the face. This is less of an issue if you are dual classing as you start out as a full fighter then you are a full mage and by the time you get both you'll have everything you need.

Other thing is prebuffing, there is no real way around it, prebuffing is way too convenient to ignore and can make really hard fights really easy. And even inf you dislike pre-buffing or you just don't know all the combat encounters, most buffs have a long enough duration that they can last the whole dungeon. Also this doesn't apply to multiclassing but to team play as well, casting haste right before battle is one of the better ways to gain advantage.