Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

bike tory posted:

Isn't the XP cap in BG1 only like 165k xp? That's straight to max level for most characters.
89 / 161 with TotSC, I think it's like 450 with SoD but haven't played that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you pick a kit or sorc you will make IWD so piss easy that it's barely worth playing, fwiw

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Aren't Montaron and Xzar standing along the road on the first map?
Second screen I think? but yeah not a long way in

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
BG1's story is fatally undermined by there being no ill effects whatsoever for timewasting esp going to werewolf island for 6 months.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I'll start by saying I don't think 3e or NWN mechanics in general are very good or fun to me. They're intimidating, bloated, and often convoluted. But not this time. You can see what the requirements for prestige classes are, and you get most of them by just being a similar class.

If players are just unwilling to read then idk what to tell you, that's how the game is. You don't pick squirtle and get pissed off when you don't get charizard - read the class dude! Read what it takes to get it! You can SEE the requirements every level! To not qualify for a prestige class after 10 levels and then be surprised it had requirements is like next level laziness.
Some of the prestige classes in NWN2 are extremely easy/obvious to obtain.

So things like Eldritch Knight (basically always worth it), Assassin (despite it being decidedly not a rogue kit, more of a fighter kit) etc.

And then for others you need to take feats some of which aren't even on the pick list in your early levels, and don't have the required attributes listed. Did you know in advance that Weapon Masters need 13 Int on a fighter class because of their feat requirements? Good for you! Doesn't say that on the class list, though, and if you don't take 13 Int you don't even get to see Combat Expertise on the feat list. Is this because your BAB is too low to qualify, like for some later feats you also can't pick? You can't know unless you know!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Some of the cross classes are insanely good, like Eldritch Knight, and some of them are v dubious like Assassin, which is like, at a push, a level 6 Ranger crosstrain so you can (somewhat) replace a Rogue in the party and get sneak attack damage on your attacks if they're against valid targets (which by late OC and basically all of MoB, they're probably not).

If you train a Rogue into an Assassin as soon as possible you done goofed, because you gain more or less nothing from it beyond a couple of spells you could UMD by the time you get the levels, put off the improved uncanny dodge by 2 levels, and lose four skillpoints per level. Even a ranger loses SP, it's more that you can rush up Tumble and UMD for the benefits of those while you're in the class, and gain HiPS slightly faster.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

So no one ever talks about Storm of Zehir, not even to say how bad it is. What kind of expansion is it? I guess it's just really generic?
It's p cool, lots of nice new features about the overworld which other modules like the somewhat patchy Path of Evil and a couple of other user modules also use.

I like that in the early-midgame lizard temple I had the idea to just smash the huge door at the back which is p much impossible to unlock like an ape, and hey it worked out! It gives you a bunch of extremely good loot including a 50-charge wand of fireball which sadly completely destroyed the balance of the whole module and made me not want to play it after most of the encounters became trivial but them's the breaks!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

That's honestly what I was expecting.

I'm not pleased to hear about the no resting, I'll see how annoying it is when I actually play. It seems like every expansion they have to shoehorn in some awful mechanic for no reason, like the spirit energy meter in MOTB.
Instead of pre-modding out or just being pissed off at something that kind of defines how they built all the areas, why not just give it a go?

The areas in SoZ are built around (pretty minor) restrictions on resting, and needing Coins of Life / eventually Raise Dead to bring people back, so the challenges aren't the same as OC wall of mobs type system.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's a 4-6 character low to medium level adventure yeah

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

Icewind Dale 2: what in tarnation is 3rd editon and how do i build my characters?
Luckily it's pretty easy to get to grips with after the first couple of levels.

So you want mostly the same kind of stat assignments as you had in previous IE games. Single classing is broadly with a gaping "but," the best strategy, especially with casters.

Fighter is quite a nice class to maintain until 4 to get a bunch of feats out of it if you want to go into another class later, like Monk of the Old Order (due to cool Monk gear, even if you don't want to take all your fighting stats and put them into Wisdom for dubious bonuses later). The other fighter-type classes are a little more awkward than in 2e where they were just definitely better, especially since they have a bunch of different stat requirements which you don't automatically get the points for, unlike BG.

The divine casting classes are all excellent in 3e. If you're a priest you don't have to memorise any healing spells, you can spontaneously cast them. Druids can also heal by shapeshifting, as well as having the usual solid assortment of magic (way better than BG2 single class druids). Some of the Priest gods are particularly choice for getting into fights - Tempus has solid buff magic, and being able to boost your strength stat by 6 for likely the duration of most fights at levels 7+ with their innate ability is pretty solid.

If you're familiar with BG2 then a 3e IWD2 mage plays a bit more like a 2e Sorcerer in that you pick spells at level up, but a Sorcerer is also their own thing as a Charisma based caster. In my last playthrough I took 3 levels of Paladin of Mystra before taking mage levels on my party's Mage, which thickened up the party for the first few encounters (helpful), and meant there was some extra cure diseases on the ability bar.

Rogues are sort of weak but you'll want one around for the usual assortment of tasks - there is some excellent Ranger gear available in the midgame and a Rogue is a pretty good class to take a level or two of Ranger in.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
There are places to buy scrolls, but yeah, it's a bit tight. As said, though, in 3e you get to pick some magic just for levelling up, it isn't like BG or even IE 1 where you have to find every single spell and hard luck if you fail to scribe the one fireball/cloudkill/etc. in the game.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Cernd is alright, he's just on a class with a shonky XP curve around the level you get him. He turns back around into being a really good caster faster than Jaheira once you get over the hump.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

He’s also a sanctimonious tool and a Bad Dad. Keldorn at least learns from his mistakes because he’s an actually good dude, Cernd learns nothing :colbert:
Keldorn will murder half the clerics in the game. Cernd is just a deadbeat dad.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

Can't he also get in a fight with Anomen if he fails the test and becomes a moody teenager?
Yep!

Keldorn is a murderous imbecile and I feel like he's mainly popular because he has quite a lot of stats, can wield some of the best gear in the game and is on an imbalanced kit, but it's not like the game is so hard that this matters too much.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious posted:

Start with 18 in wisdom, no matter what. Charisma isn't super necessary because most dialogues offer high wisdom and high charisma paths, though there are a couple of nice charisma-only resolutions (silent king for one.) Also the game usually checks for either high intelligence OR wisdom for the smart answers so intelligence is also not super necessary unless you're going mage (you are going mage.) That said, unlocking Dak'kon's past requires both high intelligence and wisdom.
Also you need to need to go for literally godly charisma to explain how laws are formed to a robot later in the game

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious posted:

That's the wise option. The charismatic option is to convince him there are more dead criminals than live ones so he's wasting his time on this mortal coil.
Pretty sure they are all charisma checks and the wisdom one is to remember his name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Beastmaster is a completely playable class, and in BG1 has a massive early advantage due to their bonus hit points. Also helps that a +1 quarterstaff is one of the earliest obtainable magic weapons, that bows are very powerful, and that every BG game has tons of good leather armour.