Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
I'm assuming PS:T players are familiar with the Windows 7/8 crash-to-desktop bug during area transitions. Googling around doesn't turn up much other than "save a lot and learn to live with it."

Anyone aware of an actual fix? It appears to be mod related - probably Bigg's widescreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Max Wilco posted:

I've had that problem too. I think it is linked to the widescreen mod, but I'm not sure. I noticed that the widescreen mod has been updated to version 3.05, so maybe updating it will work?

Sadly, no. The 3.05 update is at least a couple of years old. I don't think it's in particularly active development anymore.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Max Wilco posted:

So then is it best to drop the widescreen mod completely? What about other mods from the GOG mod list, like the Tweaks Pack, or the Unfinished Business patch? Do they cause problems or crashes?

I don't know that the problem is actually being caused by widescreen in this case. That's just a guess. Even if it is, I would rather live with the crashes than uninstall it. 640x480 on a modern LCD drives me nuts.

I'm also running fixpack, tweaks, UB, and Ghost Dog's UI. Haven't noticed other problems, but I'm only a few hours in.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Dillbag posted:

BG2:EE patch is live:

On Steam, or just Beamdog's service?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

vty posted:

Warning to anyone who plays games on both OSX and Windows/Linux. I bought BG2 EE on Steam assuming that both my PC and Macbook would run it, in fact I really just wanted it on my Mac, but I was at home on my Windows desktop when I ordered it.

Turns out they're evidently not posting the OSX version on Steam at all but instead on Beamdog (never heard of that) and later the Apple App Store. Meaning I evidently have to buy an OSX specific copy to play it on OSX too.

Kind of lovely, in my opinion. All of my other Windows/OSX games let me play on either system.

Kinda your fault for not paying attention, but I sympathize. I'm not particularly impressed with the way Beamdog chooses to sell these games.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

vty posted:

Just seems really scammy, which is my complaint. If you order it via Beamdog can you install it on both?

Well... any game on the Steam store has the icon of the platforms it supports right on the page.

As I said, though, I basically agree with you. The whole "boo hoo, we didn't want to sell on Steam - evil Atari made us do it" doesn't really wash. And as a consumer, it's not my problem. They should have figured that out before they started asking money for the game.

And, no. Even if you buy it directly from Beamdog, you have to buy a separate license for every platform.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Someone tell me they're still working on BG2EE.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34701/when-is-the-bg2ee-1-3-patch-coming-out#latest

quote:

Officially there's no date planned, but we're wrapping things up. As soon as we have a stable build we'll make a beta version available. Pre-Christmas does seem realistic at this point, but we won't release the patch until we're sure it's solid.

Translated from Beamdogese: You might see BG2EE 1.3 some time around August 2015.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I think they are aiming to get another massive patch out for BG2 EE...at the end of this year maybe?

They're definitely working on a 1.3 patch for BG2:EE. No official release date as far as I know.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Doh... scooped.

Airfoil fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 3, 2014

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

quote:

Oh we also announced a launch date for #IWDEE of Oct 30. That's right, just 10 more days to go. #10DaysofAlveus
— Trent Oster (@TrentOster) October 21, 2014

Airfoil fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 21, 2014

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

fong posted:

Excited as I am, I'm probably going to hold off on IWDEE until after the first patch.

Given Overhaul's usual speed, I'd say that means you'll be getting it around December 2015. :)

Totally understandable. My poor impulse control compelled me to pre-order, but fully expecting plenty of bugs.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Levantine posted:

I haven't been paying much attention but does the release of IWD: EE mean we're getting IWD2: EE? I like all the Infinity engine games but IWD2 has a special place in my heart for its weird implementation of 3rd edition rules.

Overhaul haven't said if they're doing IWD2:EE yet. Given the rules differences, it would take a lot more work.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

JustJeff88 posted:

How about they actually patch BGIIEE like a responsible company? It got slammed in ratings on GOG for still having so many bugs one year on, and rightly so.

They're working on it. Slowly.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36550/bg2ee-1-3-beta-final-release-question-and-answer/p1

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

BadAstronaut posted:

I spoke to Trent Oster and that's what he said they are focusing on next- ie, before IWD2 or Planescape.

(Games journalist)

I'm assuming he didn't actually confirm they're planning to do EE versions of Planescape and IWD2.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

BadAstronaut posted:

What are the worst of the bugs in Baldurs gate 2EE? Is it so bad it's worth not playing for a while? I have not touched it in ages. Got very frustrated with the Hexatt quest bugging out multiple times until it finally worked. I'm a little after that but hesitant to play if Beamdog are likely to make a huge update soon.

I'm waiting until 1.3 to try again. When is it coming? Dunno. Read these...

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36550/bg2ee-1-3-beta-final-release-question-and-answer

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34701/when-is-the-bg2ee-1-3-patch-coming-out

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

fong posted:

Has anyone tried BG2 since the patch? I just loaded it up to try out the new pathfinding and it seems... Better? A little. Still get that thing where one person will wander off into the corner because of a jam at a doorway, except now they'll turn around and go the right way once the path is clear. You'll also still get your party splitting up if there are two fairly equivalent paths.

Those are my impressions after like 2 minutes of testing it, has anyone played more with it?

Same for me. I haven't had anyone get stuck, but the party still splits onto different paths constantly.

Lots of other nice fixes, though. My favorite is the most boring.. resizable fonts.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

netcat posted:

I got it to work on win 8, but I can't remember how.

The GOG version is install-and-go on Win 8.1 for me. It takes a few seconds longer than normal to launch the game, but other than that no problems.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd like to know as well. I was surprised how quickly Beamdog got the patch out after they went beta with it (only took them a bloody year to get started), but that speed makes me worry that they cocked even more stuff up in their haste.

Then again, what do I know? Maybe they were incrementally working on bug fixes for months and months, among other projects, but didn't put out the lot until just recently. Still narked off at them, but that could be the case.

I started a new game a few days ago. I've only done the Keep and a few other quests in town so far, but haven't noticed any problems.

As far as I can tell, no one is complaining much about IWD:EE. Beamdog might have got their QA procedures worked out by now.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Dyna Soar posted:

i haven't paid much attention, but as far as i know there's hardly any info outside of a few concept art and what they said in the kickstarter campaign.

There's a fairly recent video available. It's got some environment art, dialog systems test, animation/engine test, etc.

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

kujeger posted:

Support Beam, terror of the Ten Towns!

Standing there holding up that roof acting all tough. You showed it.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Gaggins posted:

Both GOG IWDs work fine. I never finished IWD2 but I did not encounter any bugs.

The IWD2 interface is a bit wonky with widescreen mod installed. Other than that, it's fine on Win 7 & 8.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Dyna Soar posted:

well, they've said that wizards doesn't want them to make a new game using d&d rules, they can only mod the baldur's gates. if wizards decided they wanted a studio to make a new d&d rpg, beamdogs track record isn't exactly stellar. i mean they completely hosed up with bg2EE

What's your specific problem with BG2EE? 1.3 seems fine to me.

Bort Bortles posted:

I just checked out 5th edition and I would pay $$$ for a 5th edition Infinity Engine (or Infinity Engine-esque) game.

Same here.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Oh, yeah. Level drain. I forgot all about you.

Walking back to a temple from Windspear Hills to fix this problem is kinda the opposite of fun.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Still no cross platform steamcloud saves?

Boo.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

bongwizzard posted:

No loving Imoen for some reason.

?

I haven't had more than 10 mins to put into the expansion so far, but Imoen was the first character I talked to.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Max Wilco posted:

Of course now, I'm stuck on the fight with the four Gauths that spam magic at you, but I've read that using Fire Elemental summons against them is a good plan.

If you don't feel like figuring that one out on your own... http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Shield_of_Balduran

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Max Wilco posted:

That was another method I read about. Problem is that I'd have to reload an earlier save to go and get that (or return to the caves once I get the shield), and I think at that price, I'd lose most of the money you need to move to Chapter 3.

I must have done the quest later than you. I recall that shield costing a tiny percentage of the cash I had on hand.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm not going to question the choice of a trans character but putting in the minsc joke was probably in poor taste. I don't think that belongs at all.

Let's call the whole thing ill-judged rather than poor taste. There's a fairly sizable chunk of socially conservative/reactionary types among fans of classic RPGs. The relatively high percentage of IE engine die-hards in countries which haven't quite entered the 21st century (socially speaking) should have been a huge flashing warning sign.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Max Wilco posted:

I'd like that too, if only because I had issues with Planescape crashing when entering certain areas

FWIW, the area transition crash bug went away for me when I moved from Win8 to Win10. Could be unrelated in that I think I'm running slightly newer mod versions than I was before.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Pre-ordered on GOG. Seems like they give you 30% off if you have PS:T in your library.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

BadAstronaut posted:

Who owns rights to Arcanum? I'd also be all over an Enhanced Edition of that, if it could ever become a thing.

Activision.

Obsidian's Feargus has mentioned a couple of times in interviews that he's asked them about doing something with the IP several times. Seems like they'd rather just let it rot. I doubt they'd see enough profit in an EE to bother with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Convex posted:

Any word on how PST:EE sold? Haven't heard a lot of talk about it sadly. Did my bit by pre-ordering anyway.

Hope it sold well enough to get us IWD2:EE at any rate!

PS:T has been one of the top sellers on GOG for awhile. Since the EE is now the only (digital) version you can buy, it'll do fine long term.