Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So it seems i've made a mistake being the thief of the group in my brother and i's run through BG 1 and 2, since both games throw so many drat thiefs at you and especially BG2 right from the start.

As funny as the FMA thing we got going on is, i feel kinda useless outside of failing to find and disarm traps at 100 find traps and the occasional backstab :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Yes,pure thief. I was in a thiefy kinda mode when we first started playing and didn't know enough about AD&D to want to mess with a multiclass of any kind. Kinda regretting that now

Don't have Shadowkeeper atm but i guess that's an option? I'd rather just finish out the game how i started though.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Ajantis but considering the power scaling in BG2 over 1 i'm sure Keldorn is much more usefull overall than Ajantis ever was

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

We were pretending our BG1 party were real people and it was always funny just thinking that Ajantis was someone named Craig who came up with one defining trait for his character and didn't really know how else to express himself, either mechanically or through decent RP so he just ALWAYS has a sense of evil about everywhere we go. Was especially cute since we had Garrik with us too and those two have the same 2 sentence conversation with each other about 20 times over the course of a single session.

It made finding the the temple of helm itself in baulders gate after so long of hearing about how we are following the righteous path of helm. To actually REACH the end of the path was a glorious moment most definitely not intended by the developers but still amazing nonetheless

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

You are indeed at the end of the game yes so now is the time to go out and do that stuff.

By that i mean go take a crack at Durlags tower and then marvel at how awesome it is as a dungeon and then prepared to probably quite out of 50-90% of the way through it because holy moly is it cheap.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So what's a "balanced" party to run on BG2:EE? Still very early on in SoA

We currently have

Pure Thief (myself)
Berserker (player 2)
Aerie Cleric/Mage
Anomen Cleric/Mage
Jaheria fighter/druid

Looking to get Keldorn next session but i want to know if there is a good replacement for either mage or Jaheria?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Uh isnt he? This was all last night so my memory is fuzzy and i can't access the game at the momenr

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Ah that'll be it, all the spells kinda ran together in my head i guess.

How long does Jaheiras shapeshifting stay relevant? She's been a good emergency offtank as a bear for the backline but should i maybe have her more up front?

Also going from the relatively few spells options in BG1 to 2 is kinda messing with me a bit and I'm having a bit of decision paralysis on what i would want to fet/use

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Yeah i'm pure thief coming off of BG1 and not really knowing AD&D ruleset well at all so i wasen't sure if i wanted to be a hybrid class. Sounds like this is gonna be a fun playthrough then :v:

Did not know Neera was in the Enhanced Edition of 2! I suppose it's fate as we had her as our Mage throughout BG1. Although now that i can properly look at the wiki, i think Nalia might prove more useful? Certainly seems to be less annoying personality-wise anyway.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

yeah they're perfectly usable once you get into the least fun part of the games (tob) when every other class combination gets even more busted stuff

you get some sweet traps but why not go thief + anything else and get traps and actual fun mechanics

So the laying traps skill is useful? I spent the majority of BG1 pumping find/disarm traps and afterwards into sneaking before we discovered the the multitude of ways to cheese the sneak attack damage that makes it relatively useless :sigh:. Maybe i start spending my points into that and have Nalia pick up the slack in pickpocketing or something since i never do it myself.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm about to buy both NWN and Planescape Torment:Enhanced Editions, is the NWN bundle on steam worth it for at least the DLC campaigns?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

the dlc? not really. shadows of undrentide and hordes are all you really need tbh. there's some great free mods out there that are much better than the dlc

Roger that ,looks like those 2 come with EE so i'll just get that then, it'll save me some money!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So where exactly does one become a mage in Planescape:Torment? I wanted to try it out and i already have my int set to like 20 and i am still running around as a very smart fighter

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Are there like, ANY places that are considered safe to rest at in Planescape that isn't just the designated rest points/inns? I swear i've tried every screen in Sigil so far to no good effect.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Does Keldornes quest have a time limit on it before he leaves like alot of companions BG1 did?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Suspicious posted:

Yes, after entering the government district with Keldorn, you have a few days to resolve his quest. There's no reason to put it off. It takes very little time to complete and involves no fighting.

If you mean the cult of the unseeing eye quest, then no, Keldorn will never complain or leave because of it.

Yeah i mean the quest he's talking about in the sewers. Good to know!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Speaking of Windows 10, my brother recently upgraded to 10 and i suppose there is some kind of compatibility issue stopping us from playing together since i'm on 7? We tried every option we could think of to get it to work but there was just no way he was able to connect and stay that way (he would connect for a few seconds on my screen before dropping, and on his end he would never connect) but the solution was to just buy BG2 on my Ipad and play it that way :psyduck:

I was a bit skeptical on how well a game like this might controll on a tablet with touch controls only but apprently it's pretty well all things considered.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I just finished Torment for the first time last night on Switch and count me in on joining the choir that the storytelling and writing on display was absolutely top notch!

Just a shame about that gameplay though :v: Is this the only enhanced edition game to not have a straight up story mode? Because even on beginner at the end of the game the last few areas and encounters were more a slog than the combat normally was. I admit to looking up where to get the Immortal Blade to skip the final boss fight since i just could not even do much damage to him through his stupid shield spell and he would murder me surprisingly quickly (although combat in these Infinity Engine games have never been my strong point and i fully admit i could have come in more leveled and more prepared)

It was fun being a smart and being a mage and getting to see all this extra context to the story you'd only get if you were smart/wise. A shame you're still a mage in early Edition DnD though.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

A quick BG1/2 rule/gameplay mechanic question here. If i'm a Fighter/Mage, i have to take off my plate mail to cast my spells otherewise it just doesn't work right? So i take off my armor, cast my buffs and put my platemail back on do my spells stop effecting me or it the armor restriction just on the cast itself?

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 18, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

If the console UI is anything like Pillars of Eternity or Planescape it's all radial based which works pretty well considering we have precious few buttons on a standard xbox/playstation controller and even fewer on a switch!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I always like speed modifiers from different weapon types and spell cast times, rerolling at the end of every round was kind of annoying but it made your choice of weapon mean a lot more than just a damage dice and getting your proficiency bonus.Rogues dual wielding daggers are always characterized as the "super fast" damage dealer but in more modern editions that doesn't really mean a whole lot outside of Rogue pumping their Dex to do more damage meaning they are also pumping their initiative bonus as well which means more than likely will always go first anyway.

Sneak Attack being much simpler is the inverse of that though.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 24, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It was always fun feeling in my first playthrough of BG1 to slowly watch the days counter go up as my adventure continued and be like "wow it's been like 6 months since Gorion died and i've already come very far from almost dying to rats in a cellar". Although the days counter is a bit silly considering the rest/ natural healing mechanics of AD&D meaning in the 6 months since Gorion has died i've spent probably a little more than half of that time sitting around in my tent/an inn room tending to that nasty longsword crit i took clearing out the bandit camp a week ago.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Should i do a Fighter/Mage or an Archer for my second playthrough of BG1? I loved my first playthrough with my friend but we kinda rushed through to the end when we got to Baulders Gate itself so i wanna play again and do more of the actual content at the end of the game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

You get an Archer as an optional companion in SoD (worth playing!) so be aware of that.

My last BG1 playthrough was a fighter/mage and as rope kid suggests, you can pretty easily mod out some of the stupider 2e chargen rules out of the IE games. CDTweaks alone includes a bit of stuff that allows you to, at the very least, open up class options toward 3E+ as far as the engine allows (still no dualing on Stalker or Monk, etc). Dwarf mages! Elf paladins! The only tiny weirdness is that now anyone can be a dwarven defender! But even Beamdog got sick of 2E's poo poo and made a half-orc paladin.

Because I wasn't all that interested in balance in my last game, I used EEKeeper to change my CDTweak'd Half-orc fighter/mage into a berserker/mage. The berserk state is an insane self-buff for all sorts of reasons but add in wizard versatility and it's terrifying.

I'm playing the switch version so mods are out for me :v:

I think Fighter/Mage it'll be then!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

What's a good weapon specialization to shoot for as a 2 weapon fighting Blade Bard in BG 1 and 2? I was thinking being boring and going duel daggers or long/shortswords

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

When i was playing through BG1 with my brother we had the thought of how long it would take to do the entirety of BG1 if it were actually done IRL. The amount of time spent in combat made us quickly regret thinking those kinds of thoughts but it DID get me thinking about what kinds of people would be playing the various party members in a IRL setting.

Since there is very little party interactivity/roleplaying in BG1 i'm assuming it's a big group of mostly first time players that aren't used to acting like complete idiots around each other as of yet.

CHARNAME is being played by the person at the table with most experience so he's the one the story revolves around since he's the only one attempting to put effort into his character and the story, such as it is.

Ajantis is the guy that skimmed the rulebook and decided being a Paladin was cool and just followed word for word what a Paladin would do and act and say. Hence everywhere having a sense of evil about it that must be destroyed. Or always following the Path of Helm.

Khalid and Jaheira are the gaming couple of the group but whichever one of them playing is playing Khalid just doesn't really know how or care to know how to play so they make a generic fighter and wanna go home most of the time.

Misnc is the new player that was told about rangers and animal companions and went "Can i have hamster as my pet?!"

Neera is the guy that bought a weird splatbook from a secondhand store and is showing up in the 2nd or 3rd session with this weird mage subclass the DM wasen't prepared for because he didn't get the chance to vet this character sheet and now has to live with Wild Magic in games.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Oh god Durlags Tower is very stressful

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

quote:

In the console release of the Enhanced Edition, it is currently impossible to return to the chessboard and thus also to labyrinth level 4. Players are advised to go there with minimal inventory and clear the entire floor on their first visit, carrying out anything they intend to take out with them. -- This bug is fixed as of version 2.6.6.0. (Not yet remedied for the Nintendo Switch ver. 1.0.4)

Oh cool.Great.Thanks. Guess I just won't ever leave the last floor until I'm done with it. Thanks Switch port.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I beat Sarevok! On my first playthrough it was multiplayer with a friend of mine and it got to the point where we gave up and just wanted to end the game and get to BG2 so i put on story mode for that last battle.

This time playing on my own i was still only on Normal mode but i'm glad i got to get revenge and beat the game more or less as intended. It was still a very tough fight and i would dread trying to do ironman/challenge mode runs and getting that far only to die to Angelo shoving Arrows of Detonation in my face one too many times to my death.

Is it suppose to kick me straight to Seige of Dragonspear? Do i need to do anything special to transfer over my saves or does it just kinda do it automatically?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

cheesetriangles posted:

If you have any party members from bg1 that don't appear in SoD then at the end of the dungeon you start off in they will leave forever any take any items equipped. Any items in their inventory will end up in a special chest that follows you as you move camp through the whole game. Also you lose all your money at the end of that dungeon so spend what you can on consumable items from the flaming fist cleric. Imoen is not a party member but all her items will be in a chest when you leave the dungeon if you previously used her. The bg1 npcs you can use in Sod are Edwin, Minsc, Dynaheir, Jaheria, Sefana, Viconia, Khalid, Dorn, Rassad, Baeloth, Neera and I think that is all. Some of them don't appear until a good deal further into the expansion so could be a good idea to put their items into their inventory just to have the items sooner but not absolutely required. They will have their items later on when you meet them.

RIP Branwen and Kagain then they were among my MVPs in BG1. At least I'll still have Jaheira, and Safana to use then. Not super thrilled at the idea of seeing the EE characters again. But I guess I might just have too for the time being

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

At this rate DnD 1 is be written from Edwins point of view and the first line people are gonna read is "Again, you disturb me!"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Okay i'm coming around on some of these EE companions now that i've run into Baeloth, the man is so :allears:.

SoD having so few of my main BG1 party returning has made me have to adapt to a new party comp which is neat, so i take Viconia as my cleric and whew boy i thought Branwen was on the low side for strength here comes Vicky with only 10, only being able to use small shields and no plate! I"m using my Fighter/Mage MC, Safana,Corwin,Viconia,Edwin and Baeloth so my party is quite a bit less fighter heavy than i got used to but i have so much more magic! It's a neat change of pace tbh.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Skwirl posted:

If you give her a potion of strength she can wear plate and won't take it off after the potion runs out, same with bigger shields. You'll have to do the potion trick again if you ever want her to use another set of armor though.
That is good to know!

Ginette Reno posted:

She can wear Ankheg Plate as well which will give her a solid ac

Inventory management is a huge pain on the console versions so i sadly have missed the opportunity to give her the set that Branwen was wearing when she left, but i did at least get all my wands and potions and what not out beforehand!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Played through the tutorial, started the main game rolling an elf ranger, stats per below. Seem decent enough?

(Not sure why I have a -4 dex penalty with an 18 dex but)

Literally at the beginning, told to get geared to leave. Got a dagger and sword since affordable, figure I can get a bow along the way. I forget whether I need to get food to take along with me or if this game isn't that details oriented.

No need to worry about food or anything like that but you will have to make sure to rest (do it when out of magic spells on your mages or when your characters start to complain about being tired) and since you're a ranger you have to always pick good dialog options otherwise you lose your ranger abilties.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Unless you like to die, don't go to Ulcaster or Dulags Tower quiet yet either on that map :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Skeletons are resistant to slashing so bludgeoning would be better against them yeah.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

You have a bit of time get the quest done, eventually Minsc will complain at you to hurry up and then a few days later he'll just drop group if you still haven't done it yet. You wanna go essentially to the bottom left corner of the map to get there

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

I mean, part of me is liking the idea of running the canonical party for my first time, but IDK. Spoiled by choice

Neera was quite disappointed when I dismissed her, made me feel bad for her pixelated rear end, so much rejection :(

If you're planning on the playing through the whole saga, she gets over it for the rest of the series and has enough of her own problems to worry about in SoD that being dumped in favor of Xan isn't the biggest deal in the world.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Speaking of the BG wiki, it says that Keldorn and Edwin have conflict if they get too close to each other? What exactly does that mean? They can be in the party as long as Keldorn doesn't get too close to Edwin to be able to talk or what?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Has there ever been a social distancing challenge attempted in one of these games? Probably something to add on to an Ironman Insane run or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The "first adventuring party since lockdown" challenge run.