Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Bob NewSCART posted:

I tried a BG demo a couple of years ago and I literally could not figure out how to fight dudes at all so I just quit. I usually have a bit of patience with regards to these things and I play roguelikes with ascii graphics so that's not an issue. I just have 2 questions: Are the EEs significantly easier to understand/interpret or am I still going to be completely lost if I try and start one of these up? And,
Will I have fun if I choose to play like a fighter or something in BG2? Everything I've heard about it points towards magic being the be all and end all.

The Enhanced Editions does not make the games easier, or give you hints on what to do. I played BG1 with a guide (http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/) and I continue to play BG2 with a guide (http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/walkthrough.php / http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/faqs/34147) otherwise I'd be seriously lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does anyone know if the trick to stuff Valygar in a bag of holding to both complete the quest from Tolgerias and open the Planar Sphere still works in the Enhanced Edition?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

uwu culture posted:

The most significant new bug that springs to mind is that sometimes the game crashes when saving, and you end up with a saved game that looks completely black with no party members but can still be loaded. If you do load this save a lot of variables are reset and quests will start bugging out.

VVVVV oh :downs:

From the patch notes it sounds like this happens if you save from the "quit game" screen, so try not to do that until the patch is out.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Help, how are you supposed to beat Mind Flayers? Every single one of my characters die instantly. I'm just past Spellhold and I got 2 forced encounters with them there and I beat the first one by placing summoned creatures outside the door and then blasting it with spells while it was busy. The second one I got by a hasted Anomen and Slay Living, I reloaded until it hit and killed it in the first hit. Is there really no spell that protects against the brain devour thing?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Thanks for the fast answers, I guess I will keep using summons and not try to melee them at all.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

cheesetriangles posted:

Going thru the stronghold maze on my solo f/m/c and got to the part where you were judged. The game freaked out and suddenly the judge was a mind flayer and instant killed me. I have no idea what is going on.

If you "fail" the test the judge will spawn a mind flayer for you to die to, maybe this is what happened? I have no idea what makes the judge think you fail the test, I answered all the questions correctly and still got to meet the mindflayer. I beat it by casting "slay living" and reloading until it hit on the first attack and killed it.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
If I beat Watchers Keep in SoA will I be able to beat it again in ToB? If I don't beat Watchers Keep in SoA, just progress toward level 4, will that progress be saved in ToB or do I have to do it all over from the beginning?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Thanks everyone for the recent Watchers Keep tips, I just beat Demogorgon and I'm pretty pleased with myself tbh.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is it me, or are pathfinding and AI scripts even more hosed in BGEE than they were in BG1? Characters frequently take the long way around or just get stuck trying to walk into a wall instead of going around to the stairs/ramp, or else just stop walking for no reason. Characters also sometimes auto-attack with AI off, and Jaheira's been casting spells despite being set to cleric passive (wasting Summon Insects on a loving wolf, or casting Bless multiple times in a row). :iiam:

I don't know if the pathfinding is worse in EE but it is really bad. I find it works much better if the characters are hasted, not sure why though but the pathfinding feels much more "fluid". I've also noticed that they sometimes auto-attack even though the AI script is disabled, especially when their previous target just died.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Regarding mages in BG1, I dual classed Imoen to a Mage at level 6 and she ended the game as a level 6 Thief, Level 9 mage. Together with Dynaheir this made the game super easy. My other members were Minsc, Jaheria, Garrick and my pure fighter PC. I did play on the "regular" difficulty though.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I noticed Aerie seems to be unable to learn level 9 spells, can I fix this with EEKeeper somehow?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

amanasleep posted:

Give her a potion of Genius if you don't want to stat cheat.

Thanks, I think I have a couple of those since I never use the potions I haul with me through the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Are there some hidden rules about summoning creatures? I know that you can only summon 5 of them but it seems you can't summon for example 2 Devas at the same time? I also received the message that I can't summon any more creatures when I only had 1 Deva and 1 Planetar summoned, why is that? Can a character only use 1 summon spell at a time or something?