Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Quick question, no need for details:

What are my level break options to more sensibly dualclass a Human Kensai/Thief? ie no ToB Magikarp. I have SoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Perfect, thank you!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Dillbag posted:

IIRC he level cap for SOD is 500k, which is exactly the amount you need to get your fighter levels back at Kensai 9 / Thief 10

it is indeed 500k so this is perfect 👍

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
How do you mod out race/class restrictions so everything is available right at char creation?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Garrick is fine. He can use wands, but I have the game memorized. 🤷🏻

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Use your consumables as soon as possible as much as possible! 😈

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

JustJeff88 posted:

There's a mod for him that turns him into an archery-focused warrior/mage, which fits his... eccentricities better, in my opinion.

I'm of conflicting thoughts on this. On one hand, it is very easy at least to console commands in a few Tomes to make the entire cast be great, but on the other hand, it's fun seeing how you can adapt to the companions with itemization.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd be curious, but afaik, any character is workable in BG.

My main gripe is that some characters come super late, Tiax for example, and don't get their share of the spotlight unmodded.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
If I'm using Khalid and want to be tryhard overkill, I just rush Keil's Helmet from Durlag's and Bracers of Archery from Gnoll Fortress after some Ankheg farming.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Rasaad is garbage but they had good intentions with him and his story, so mehhhhhh????? thats the best I can say for him?????

I liked his concept so I sought him out in Nashkel and for the longest time I thought the game was telling me he was a Magikarp type character.

Nope!

I never saw any payoff for dragging him around and keeping him alive by the time I hit Spellhold. You simply can't unfuck Monk, imo.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Slashrat posted:

iirc they couldn't do much with the Enhanced Editions due to contractual stipulations that they could not alter or modify any of the original content significantly, so brand-new NPC might have been the limit of what they could safely do within that constraint while making the EE enhancements themselves at the same time

yeah if you read between the lines far enough, they def got a bum deal to put the IP back together again circa 2012 from all the dubious rights holders and they def were not allowed to talk about it

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

H13 posted:

As somebody who did a trilogy run with a monk...

You are correct that there are better, more powerful characters.

But none of them let you loving punch holes in Gods.

So you may have beaten Firkraag in a more effective way. True. But none of you beat that loving rear end in a top hat to death with your bare hands. For that I will always love monk.

Never stop punching and never stop kicking, Gamer and Goon! 'Tis the path of true enlightenment... or so it is said... 🧘

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Ginette Reno posted:

I learned to appreciate it on my Shadowdancer because with their timestop ability you can't attack but you can detect illusions during it. So stopping time and then detecting illusions was a pretty nice tactic for dealing with enemy thieves and mages.

thats a very good strategy Ive never heard of before!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Jack B Nimble posted:

I almost quit BG2 when this happened. It won't seem as bad if I ever replay it because I'll know it ends but the pacing is very very bad in the first five or so hours.

oh drat. I always knew that in my gut but I never have seen this articulated before.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Jay Rust posted:

God don’t tell me he’s in 3

lol

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Jay Rust posted:

It's called baldurs gate 2 and yet you never visit the titular fantasy city!

wtf!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Skwirl posted:

Literally forgot this game existed and thought they were talking about the earlier Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance game, which was a decent top down couch co-op Diablo esque ARPG 20 years ago when I had roommates and none of us had full time jobs.

it got rereleased! the Switch version runs buttery smooth af and it holds up very very well as a little ARPG fun run aside from the jumping puzzles. you can still do the import trick and play absolutely ludicrously OP, as the game was intended to be played. the sequel also got rereleased.

I am really interested to see if the two weird awesome Everquest games they made also get a rerelease alsp but I am not holding my breath.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
ya he was called out on it and said hes just glad ppl remember SOMETHING he wrote

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Shard posted:

I was playing Baldur's Gate one and an NPC came up to me and said "Hey Sexy you wanna see my ditties?" and my wife and daughter looked at me like I was a freak. I told them hey this game came out in 98 it was a different time.

owned!

my son got to that part and texted me "thats funny that theyd make her say that. the 1980s were a different time for our attitudes about sex workers." and I told him it was from 1998 and his reaction was

"oh lol"

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
does BG1EE on Steam Deck currently run as good as, if not better than, the Nintendo Switch version? is the patch with the portrait thingy gonna maybe bring them all to controller parity?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

queeb posted:

drat find familiar on my f/m MC is awesome, gently caress yeah bonus hp for a little buddy in my backpack

lets make a deal

i give u: permanent boost to hp
u give me: exactly one inventory slot

do u accept????

:hehe:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Jay Rust posted:

i don't get the thinking behind it either

"Men can lift objects twice as heavy as women, right? But 19 would be superhuman... Ah, I know!" - some weird old bigot

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

bike tory posted:

Bows are better than crossbows in every way because, for whatever reason, bows have a base of two attacks per round while all the other ranged weapons in the game have one.

Its been a while since I really played, but did the Enhanced Edition ultimately add any really badass ranged weapons for high level BG2 or does the Tuigan Bow still remain the go-to?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Dr. Quarex posted:

:eyepop::ibadpop::popeye:

I thought about this a lot when listening to Rope Kid talking about how hard they tried to make sure every stat was basically equally useful in Pillars of Eternity and how there was really no such thing as a dump stat. Part of what makes Baldur's Gate combat fun is finding ways to completely circumvent the like "expected" way of fighting an encounter, like abusing pathfinding or firing all your huge spells off-screen and resting immediately before the game moves monsters to you or whatever; it is all ridiculous and fun even if it makes no sense in-universe and some classes and spells are totally objectively better than others

(I love both games, but yes I do prefer the Baldur's Gateseses, in part for that reason)

In the Enhanced Editions, did the mighty Drizzt ever figure out how to walk around the pond instead of just standing there while we pelt him with arrows?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Vargatron posted:

I will admit that some classes, like kitless thief, are just kind of bad. But that's basically the 2E ruleset being bad. I think I would roll Fighter/Thief if I was going to do a playthrough, just to add some extra damage output.

Thief kind of falls victim to too many skills and not enough of them having impact in game for it to be worth a solo class.

this is all depreciated now, of course, but was that always the case with Thief when the game was simply just Baldurs Gate and no TOTSC? I feel like the draw of Thief was that it had the most levels, and most skill points to play around vs MC/DC, and I cannot remember what the kit situation was.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

biscuits and crazy posted:

Its called 'The One Gift Lost' but there's at least 5 of them in BG1

lmao I never realized wtf

what a game!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I remember this web cartoon promo for 4th Edition that had an eyebrowhorns Tiefling.

It had the incredible salespitch of "Gnomes are no longer playable!"

somebody here knows what Im talking about

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
uh, wasnt Beamdog going to do a patch that brings the console controls of BGEEs to Steam Deck? and something to do with a portrait contest?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Does anybody know wtfs even going on now at Beamdog? Did they finally pull the plug on their almost biyearly patch cycle? Ive been kind of hoping for the Nintendo Switch controls on PC/Steam Deck this whole time, but, uh...

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Arivia posted:

Yes. The biggest omission that would greatly change the events of BG1 is Miirym, a ghost dragon who lives in the catacombs and slays anyone who tries to attack Candlekeep or its inhabitants. You can see how Chapter 6 wouldn’t be the same if she was there.

Sarevok had her replaced with a Dopple but good news! she got better :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I handwave it as Drows are evil jerks, but BG2 was going for something in that section with something in mind for those time limits and I dont know what. Maybe simply, "Drows are evil jerks." :shrug: