Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I have been inspired by this thread to create Dorna, the chaotic evil female half-orc fighter/cleric who is head over heels in love with Dorn. If only Dorn would love her back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting a Shadowdancer->Cleric to run all the way through from BG to TOB. Any advice on when to dual? It's not really going to be a rogue at all except for the stealth skills so I can be a max level cleric who can also pop hide in plain sight in the middle of a battle.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Feels lazy but I've always relied on Carsomyr +5/+6, often on an Inquisitor, to debuff mages without having to worry about multiple layers of spell protections. I'm going to do an evil run with a Dragon Disciple and plan not to use a Paladin so maybe I'll finally have to learn how to do all the debuffing stuff properly, but Keldorn with Carsomyr just works so well it's hard to give up.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed a couple unusual dual class combinations recently. First was a Shadowdancer -> Cleric at around level 7. Got stealth/hide up to respectable levels so I could reliably hide in plain sight, then I could parade around with my summoned skeleton warriors while stealthing. Lost its effectiveness in ToB due to all the stealth detection however. Then I dualled a Wiz -> Fighter at level 3. Got to use wands/scrolls all through BG1 which was sweet and then at later levels I would use Vhailor's helm to clone myself, pop a scroll of Time Stop, go into Greater Whirlwind with the clone and I could pretty much instantly destroy dragons. That turned out to be the more fun high level combination and Fighters are pretty fun throughout the whole series due to Bows being excellent in BG1 (had 4 pips) and then dual wielding being excellent later in BG2 and ToB.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
My rule of thumb is if I'm going to actually spend time playing a game, it's worth $1/hr to make it run well on my current hardware at a nice resolution, even if I have already bought the game 15 years ago.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
First playthrough with IWD:EE and Archer chick is my MVP by far. Berserker/Druid is also kicking arse -- has huge HP and lays down lots of vines to make easy pickings for the archer. Bard has been dead weight in general.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It seems like IWD is more forgiving of Ironman runs due to not having a single CHARNAME you have to protect. I am really enjoying my 1st time ever run through by the way but the Archer kit is definitely OP for the base difficulty.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone speak from experience about the pros/cons of the Druid subclasses in terms of power and gameplay/fun at different stages of the game? I am interested in the Avenger due to the spells for a 2nd playthrough of IWD:EE but also interested in the Totemic Druid, but suspect the latter does not scale as well later in the game.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Finished IWD:EE and had a great time. Beats the BG series for the beauty of the maps. I just don't have a desire to run through all those dungeons again for some reason. Back to BG1 on Insane for a change to see how it goes!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've always thought the original backstab mechanics were the coolest, but I'm sentimental from the old MUDding days. Sneak attack seems more like a mechanic for a roguey-fighter than an assassiny-thief.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Kenny Logins posted:

Pure sorcerer is better than dragon disciple. The spells/day sacrifice just arent't worth it. Fire resistance isn't hard to get (or always that useful), neither is regeneration, and the slightly better AC stops mattering by endgame BG2/TOB. The breath weapon isn't useful either.

For an experienced player, a pure sorcerer can realistically solo BG2 and probably TOB.

Just to play dragon's advocate, since Sorcerers are so powerful, sacrificing a spell a day still leaves you with a very powerful class. I have found the Con bonus to be pretty relevant in providing regeneration while freeing up ring slots, and up to the end game the improved AC can be useful. Lastly, you can stack fire resistance to get above 100%, at which point dropping a fireball at point blank range will actually heal you while damaging enemies. It's a bit of a different play style but I made an evocation and combat focused Dragon Disciple and had a lot of fun with it.

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 15, 2015

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Parts Kit posted:

BACKSTABS CURE MAGES

Quoted for truth.

To make a real comment, however, I need some help. I have been over-analyzing on how to build the most fun rogue to play through BG1/2/TOB with a full party. I am leaning toward basic F/T but also wondering about Fighter dualing to thief or mage dualing to thief. The advantage of the latter would be simply to be able to use wands and scrolls without having to wait for use any item. I would even be open to other outlandish ideas. I have done a couple runs through the game already so I am interested in trying some more unique character designs if they sound good.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Archer made my first run through IWD:EE a bit too easy. I am contemplating a 2nd run through with a custom party of 3 half-elves: F/M, F/C, F/T. Will see how it goes. Archer is really strong though.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I have Shadowkeeper, but nothing gets me psyched for a new run through BG1+2+TOB more than clicking reroll 2000 times to get a 90 or better. It is a compulsion but it actually adds to my enjoyment.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Any rumors about when SOD will be available through the mac app score?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
What race is more fun as a barb: halfling or elf?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Both seem to work as of latest patch of BG EE

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of nice evil characters for such a party, arguably some of the strongest in the game (Edwin, Korgan, Viconia, that new Blackguard guy). There are also a lot of rear end in a top hat-ish dialogue responses you can choose. The main thrust of the story won't change much however and you lose some nice bonuses for keeping a high rep. I think that about sums it up.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Do I have to periodically murder somebody to keep my reputation low or just not be the goody goody nice guy in dialogue?

There are definitely some dialogue options that lower your rep...not sure how many. Having Viconia join lowers your rep. I think stealing works too (it's been awhile). But killing is probably the most convenient.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious posted:

Single class druids are ok. They have very good level 5/6/7 spells, but before they get those they're not great and they're limited to leather armor.

Fighter/druids are excellent tanks. They have no armor restrictions and they can still use ironskins.

e: forgot to say they don't get remove fear, protection from evil 10' and lesser restoration (though they can cast that spell from scrolls) so you'll still want a cleric

It's too bad the kits aren't great, especially the shapeshifter.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

What's the deal with the level 13 requirement? Don't druids become the leader of the circle at 14 or something?

My problem is that I like playing around with classes too much and don't actually progress through the story. Sword and board warrior is actually fun though. I'm murdering things with Mace mastery and I have like -5 AC at level 6.

In other news I'm realizing the value of spell piercing and potions now that I've faced Davaeorn again. That guy is a super dick with Dimension Door.

I'm pretty sure that any decent Archer with Haste and some +2 Arrows are pretty good against him. I'm working my way through again and haven't gotten quite that far yet so I can't be sure.

This run I went for a Half-Elf Dragon Disciple with 18 Con. Just got the tome of Constitution and the level 5 bump to get me up to 20 Constitution so I have natural regeneration. This should be a fun run.

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 2, 2017

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

I used spell thrust a couple of times on him and that really helped to soften him up. Coran and Kivan kept him interrupted and I tried keeping my crew spread out so fireball wouldn't gib my casters. Chant and bless were good buffs for the saving throw bonuses.

I kind of hate prebuffing on some encounters, but it's better than turning the difficulty down.

I usually give it a couple of tries with gimp tactics (Archers, wands, traps) then if those don't work I will put in the effort and pre-buff. But that is a pretty challenging encounter so it's probably worth it to do it right.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I have to pipe in that my favorite char so far has been a Shadowdancer->Cleric. I maxed Hide and Sneak before dualing and as a result had a Cleric that could vanish at-will while leading a horde of Skeleton Warriors around for most of the game. Also solves the support-role issue for Thieves and Clerics in one character.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

I sat down at 8 this morning to start playing BG. First thing I did was pick up Kaleed and Jahera and the next thing I knew it was 2pm and I was coming out of the Nashkel Mines. Holy poo poo thus games great. I'm on my way to the Gnoll Stronghold and reconsidering my party. I'm rolling as a dwarf F/C with the Canon group so far. But I'm thinking of dropping Kaleed and Jahera or maybe just Kaleed. Feel like my party has too many dudes on the front line.

Also do druids get some good CC spells beyond tangle?

One of the best in the game - Nature's Beauty.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Re: Coran and Kivan recruitment in BG1 -- I'm trying to get away from it on my current run because I always pick these guys up. Having two strong archers in addition to a PC that is also good at ranged makes the game too easy .

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lambs posted:

That's only the generic +3 version.
You can get the cool +4 scimitar from the first floor still, chance to deal extra lightning damage. It glows and leaves electrocuted/charred jittery corpses behind. Lightning was always my favorite on hit effect, better visual than fire/cold and sharper sound effect.

Unrelated, any idea why they didnt reuse IWD spell effects for fire/acid etc on hit in BG2? They look so much better.

You can get a fantastic mace right out of the gate in BG1 (EE only) and a decent anti-undead mace in BG2 pretty early, so it's not a bad 2 pips to spend.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The Joe Man posted:

I understand AD&D rules since I grew up playing the Goldbox games but the thing that irks me about PoE is that the attributes don't make any sense. Why should intelligence be an important stat for a barbarian? Why strength for a wizard???

It's like they jumbled poo poo around for no reason or just to be different and it's annoying/confusing as hell. I'll probably have to look up a character creation guide just to make the character I have in mind fit into their bizarro-land attribute labeling when I decide to give the game a real shot.

They made the attributes a little too abstract. How the heck does "Might" make you punch harder and blast harder?? It's elegant in its own way but makes it hard to picture what your character looks and acts like if a mage and a fighter have the same stats.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Might makes most sense when you see it as analogous to the Chinese concept of Qi: a kind of internal energy that can be channeled to accomplish feats of incredible power. Whether those feats are physical or magical in nature doesn't matter because they both derive their strength from the same source.

I think PoE's attributes are pretty solid, but then I'm the wrong person to ask because I'd much rather have a stat-less system anyway.

Legend of the Five Rings has done this the best. Each ring (element) has multiple physical and mental uses and it's possible to focus your character without min-maxing. I would KILL for a BG-style L5R game.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Question: In EEKeeper, can I swap Imoen's primary and secondary classes so that she levels up as a Thief rather than a Mage?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Entropy238 posted:

It's a little bit involved:

1. Take note of Imoen's current XP
2. Set her saving throws (under "resistance" tab) to 20, her Thac0 to 20, her health to 1/1, her levels to 0/0/0, and her experience to 0
3. Reset her thief skills to base levels
4. In the second tab, untick the dual class option, set the "original class" heading (if it's there) to blank and change her main class to mage
5. Go in to the game and level imoen up to level 1 mage.
6. Save
7. Go back to Shadowkeeper and give Imoen the XP to level to what level of mage you want her to get to
8. Enter game, level her up and then press dual class on her character screen and select thief
9. Save
10. Go back in to Shadowkeeper and then give Imoen the rest of her XP

The numbers on your thief skills might be a bit screwey but that's about it. Note, depending on her XP, you might not actually get her thief skills back without a few levels.

Cheers for the help.
Thanks dude!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Haven't been able to make up my mind on a character for the full 4 game playthrough...until I rolled a 96 this morning. Guess I'm going to be a CG Gnome Fighter/Illusionist for awhile...

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

So I started a playthrough of Baldur's Gate II: EE

I rolled an Inquisitor so that I could use The Holy Avenger and Viconia without worrying about Keldorn and Viconia getting into a fight.
I do Firkraag's dungeon to get my sword.
And the cloudkill trick doesn't work anymore.
Went through that lame-rear end dungeon for nothing. They couldn't fix the pathing but fixed that right up didn't they?
I hate fighting Dragons.

What about gimping him with spike traps?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

Danke

I'm thinking about doing a sort of gimmick R/C run where I have rubbish physical stats but 25 wisdom. Basically, a character with access to every priest spell in the game and tons of spell slots, but useless in melee.

Come on. At least go for good Dex

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You have to imagine the Lord of Murder's heir as a gnome. Really imagine it. It will make sense, trust me.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me if Monks are actually fun for a full playthrough of BG-->TOB? I remember quitting halfway with one about 10 years ago but I'm willing to give it a retry with the kits. My concern is that they are useless early on and by the end are kind of a point and click killing machine without much other means of interacting with the game world.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ProfessorCirno posted:

Monks are boring and worthless in BG1, and boring and less worthless but still not great in BG2, and then in ToB, they're still boring and not great.

Haste counts for a lot, AC doesn't. The problem is, by the time monks have their bonuses high enough to actually make up for not having any magical arms or armor...their bonuses slide into not mattering because of how weird and warped ToB is. Like hey, your AC is finally enough to not worry about no armor! Except nobody cares about AC anymore. Your Save vs X abilities become useless because saves are so goddamn high now.

I mean, they aren't single class thief bad in ToB. But with how long it takes for them to actually be useful, and how "useful" they actually end up? Naw.

Thanks. This confirms my fear.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
What would be the best weapon to achieve Grandmastery in prior to dualing a Fighter -> Thief?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Walrus Pete posted:

Depends on whether or not you care about backstabbing. If you do, pick either katana or longsword. If you don't, your options are wide open. Common choices for "best" would be flail, greatsword, or halberd.

If you pick a one-handed weapon, make sure to get 2 points in dual-wielding (or 3, but the third point isn't as useful as the first two) and 1 in scimitar, war hammer, or both.

I was leaning more toward just having high THACO and APR and dual-wielding. Would 5 pips in scimitars and 3 in two weapon fighting be overkill?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips. I like having only two bladed weapons or two blunt weapons for dual wielders for ~~~aesthetic~~~ reasons. Sounds like scimitars are a solid choice and long swords maybe a good number two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

Just turn up difficulty. I usually play it with SCS and hardest diff so ymmv.

When you guys play on higher difficulty do you turn it back down for spell memorization and leveling up? Soooo hard to think about not getting all my HPs.