Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Erm, the shadow thieves are undoubtedly the good option. But it's not like it matters either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I'm pretty sure that must be an EE bug, but hey congrats on reaching endgame.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I waited until this month to buy BG1:EE, I hate to say it but I feel like I'm going to wait at least 6 months before I buy BG2:EE because they do an awful job bugtesting these.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I didn't use her at first because her concept seems weak, a halfling warrior who uses short swords just didn't sit as well with me as keldorn with his giant twohanded sword. She is legitimately great though, and the Jennifer Hale connection is news to me but that makes it even better.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Edwin's the best NPC in BG2 and I assume the reason no one is acknowledging this is because we all have known it to be true for years and are simply tired of saying it.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

oswald ownenstein posted:

Is 'run up, backstab, run away, restealth, repeat' considered metagaming?

Because that nonsense got me through quite a bit of BG1 as a youngster in the yorish day of 1998.

Me too, in fact when I was much younger and this game first came out it was the only way I could get through certain encounters. Nowadays info on how to powergame like a madman is readily available on the internet and all, but the old backstab and run away mechanic helped me immensely in these games.

It was especially useful in BG1, but I even kept it up in BG2 on my first playthrough as a thief. It was starting to get less useful by the time ToB rolled out though.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

IWD2 has the best mechanics of any of the infinity engine games and I'm actually sad that they couldn't just port both BG games directly into the IWD2 engine for the enhanced editions. IWD1's mechanics are not as well aged but the game is good. Still, if IWDEE comes out and isn't using IWD2's character mechanics it'll be a huge waste of time.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

zedprime posted:

The mechanics are different enough they'd probably need to redisgn every encounter if it was going to feel right. That's approaching new game scope at that point.

I get this but IWD feels really dated compared to IWD2 and I haven't replayed it in a long time for that reason. Personally, I'd be really unlikely to buy an EE for it. IWD2:EE I'd be all over.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I honestly don't feel like IWD2 *needs* an Enhanced Edition, mostly because 3rd edition rules aren't nearly as retarded as 2nd.

Mechanically it definitely does not, you're right. I was thinking more in terms of new content, but then again their new zones weren't that great in the two EEs they've released. Their characters were OK but I feel like it would ruin IWD in some way if i were forced to choose between making my own party and NPC characters. That's never been the focus of the games, I guess.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

oswald ownenstein posted:

Please tell me that's a real game and not some bullshit fan project that won't go anywhere.

edit: It's obsidian!

You sir have been living under a rock.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

A bit late, but the restriction on clerics not being able to use bladed weapons was originally a reference to real-life history when the Catholic church forbade priests to use weapons that drew blood - piercing and bladed weapons. So they used blunt weapons instead.

5 minutes of googling seems to suggest this is bullshit, here's some text from wikipedia:

quote:

It is popularly believed that maces were employed by the clergy in warfare to avoid shedding blood [2] (sine effusione sanguinis). The evidence for this is sparse and appears to derive almost entirely from the depiction of Bishop Odo of Bayeux wielding a club-like mace at the Battle of Hastings in the Bayeux Tapestry, the idea being that he did so to avoid either shedding blood or bearing the arms of war. The fact that his brother Duke William carries a similar item suggests that, in this context, the mace may have been simply a symbol of authority.[3] Certainly, other Bishops were depicted bearing the arms of a knight without comment, such as Archbishop Turpin who bears both a spear and a sword named "Almace" in The Song of Roland or Bishop Adhemar of Le Puy, who also appears to have fought as a knight during the First Crusade, an expedition that Odo also joined.[4]

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Unfortunately rebuffing is definitely one aspect of these games that makes fighting battles tedious from time to time. Every encounter with a bullshit attack (mindflayers, confusion, charm) has a counter but you do need to recast these pretty often and sometimes you just use characters who are buffed or wearing immunity items or more likely to save and haste them and hope they get in a good crit.

Generally speaking with mages I try to destroy them before they have a chance to cast a spell. Usually you can get rid of their contingencies with a spell thrust/secret word and hopefully interrupt any casted spells afterwards. Also for some reason Keldorn's dispel seems to work on things that the actual dispel spell does not work on, it's pretty OP. Keldorn is probably better at helping the party kill wizards than any other non-wizard NPC in the game.

Also if you have a druid in your party and can land one of the spells that summons insects on a mage it's effective and absolutely hilarious.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Mickey McKey posted:

When Yoshimo died in the Asylum I was planning on resurrecting him with his black heart, but I made it through the Asylum, Sahuagin Ciy, and Underdark with no troubles (I have Imoen and myself both dual-classed out of thief-types) so I am contemplating not bringing him back to the party. My party is myself as a swashbuckler turned fighter, Imoen, Nalia, Aerie, and Sir Anomen. I have seen Keldorn named as a good party member, but is there anyone else anyone would suggest as a 6th? I am enjoying having a crazy good tank, a decent fighter/cleric (now that he has 16 wisdom), another cleric who is also a mage, and two more mages. I was tempted to swap Nalia for Edwin but I am pretty sure Edwin is evil which would be a headache.

You don't actually resurrect him with his heart unless that changed in BG2EE for some reason, he's dead for good.