Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I loving suck at these huge open world mod-friendly RPG games, I keep spending literally weeks researching what mods to get and how to install them all and how to avoid conflicts etc etc, and by the time I actually run the drat game I'm already burned out and never make it too far. This has happened with Oblivion, Fallout NV and BG1/2 :(

Having said that, I still really enjoy the idea of getting to explore these giant worlds, and keep telling myself that I'll get around to it someday, someday.

I've got a text file at home with my preferred mods and install order for BG 1 and 2, with input from the general BG thread so I can post that tonight for people who want a few more options to play with, but it's pretty similar to the mod list from the OP. It also mentions there's no good mods for Planescape but there are some recommended mods to get it running well on modern systems. It's super simple compared to the encyclopedia of BG mod options, pretty much just follow this guide from the GoG forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Robocop Horney posted:

Honestly, don't play these games with mods. It's not like a Bethesda game where the game sucks and comes with cool modding tools - these are great games with shoddy modding tools and mods that don't add anything but flavor. Get an unofficial patch but ignore every other mod because the games weren't designed around them. Install mods for a second playthrough if you want something different.

One of the things I tried to do was only get mods that 'enhanced' the original experience, not the ones that made all the female characters topless or added a bunch of poo poo romantic dialogue options. My goal for BG 1-2 was to mash them both together and have a giant consistent game with all the official 'deleted scenes' added back in, with a few sprinkles of the best-of fan content, if any. The instructions I wrote out for myself are below, feel free to tell me how you think I did.

code:
Install in order:
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
BGII Fix Pack
BGT (this is what mashes the 2 games together, and lets you play BG1 with BG2 graphics)
Ascension ('fixes' the final boss fight of the game)
BG1 Unfinished Business (restores cut content to BG1)
BG2 Unfinished Business (restores cut content to BG2)
Dark Side of the Sword Coast (fan made, decent optional content)
Northern Tales of the Sword Coast + patch (fan made, decent optional content)
Mini Quests Encounters (short fan made sidequests, some decent little asides for your characters to deal with)
Al's Restoration Project (tries to restore literally all unused game sounds, as well as some minor cut characters or locations)
Setup-BGTMusic.exe (so you can set it to play BG1 music in BG1, otherwise it would be BG2 the whole way through)
BG2 Tweak Pack (I go through the list and pick and choose what to install, skip most of it but some decent bits for convenience sake)
Font Mod toolfont (bigger fonts for HD screens)
Widescreen mod (duh)
and I've got a portrait pack or 2 in this folder as well, if you want a little more variety or are just tired of looking at the same faces)
The two Sword Coast packs are the biggest changes, adding basically fan-made side areas the size of major quests within the vanilla game, everything else I tried to keep as low impact as possible to preserve the feel of the original games, just with a few modern conveniences thrown in.