Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
So, can I have some advice about IWD 2? I'm determined to have a go, but I don't really know the 3ed system - too much BG2 for me! I've made a party with some tips from the internet, but I'm sure I've made some glaring errors - any advice would be much appreciated:

Human Paladin of Helm 1 -> Fighter 4 -> Paladin x, Lawful Good, 18S/10D/16C/8I/16W/8Ch
(Power Attack/Large Sword 2)
[Tank 1]

Shield Dwarf Fighter 4 -> Barbarian x, Neutral Good, 18/10/20/10/10/8
(Hammer 2, Flail 2)
[Tank 2]

Human Battleguard of Tempus x/Fighter y (alternating), Chaotic Good, 18/10/14/8/18/8
(Combat Casting, Luck of Heroes)
[Tank 3/Cleric]

Half-Elf Monk 3 -> Druid x, Lawful Neutral, 16/16/16/7/18/3
(Dodge)
[Druid and good fighter - hoping the monk's fist powers carry over to shapeshifted form?]

Human Rogue 1 -> Wizard x, Chaotic Good, 10/10/10/18/10/18
(Courteous Magocracy, Mercantile Background)
[Diplomat/Thief skills/Mage]

Human Sorcerer x, Chaotic Neutral, 10/14/14/14/6/18
(Spell Focus: Evocation x 2)
[Blow poo poo up]

I think the thing I'm most at a loss with is feats. Also, do I need an evil character?

By the way, thanks for this thread - I absolutely adore BG1 and 2, and Planescape, but have never played through the IWD games. I was really pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed IWD 1 once I had got into it, except for the HoW expansion which I found really pretty tedious - it may have been short, but it felt too long to me...

Stumiester fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Mzbundifund posted:

The biggest worry here is your first guy. He's not a bad build at all, but once you start taking paladin levels, you're locked into that class. The minute you take a level in a class that isn't paladin, you can never go back. It's perfectly fine if you take some fighter levels, THEN go into paladin, but if you start with one paladin level, and then take some fighter levels, you can never go back to paladin. So just take your four fighter levels first. You'll be fine without paladin stuff that early anyway. Make sure your fighter is lawful good though, you still need to fulfill the paladin prerequisites. Power attack is a great feat, good choice there.

Dwarf looks great, but he doesn't need charisma. Give him a little extra Wis to shore up his saves.

With those two heavy tanks on the front line, you don't need to dilute your cleric with fighter levels. Make him a heavy divine spellcaster, some of their late spells get awesome. Tempus is a great deity for buffs, so even without fighter levels he'll be a fine frontline asset. Consider Draw Upon Holy Might. For feats, I'd give him Combat Casting, Power attack, and then maybe Subvocal Casting so that a silence spell can't shut down your healer. Luck of Heroes isn't that great a feat, since with a little planning or experience you can usually prebuff to counter any status effects coming your way, while feats that amplify your offense let you murder things before you ever have to make that saving throw.

The rogue/wizard is a great build, but you don't need to waste feats on things that give you skill points. With a wizard's high INT, and a rogue's massive starting skill total, you'll have plenty on that guy. Give him Combat Casting and then Spell Focus: Enchantment or Necromancy instead and make him a fountain of curses and debuffs to support your front line. I'd ditch the charisma and social skills on this guy and put all his points into dexterity instead, to help his defense and reflex saves. Your high-charisma sorcerer can be the social one. Consider making this guy a (male) Drow instead of a human, starting with 20 dex and 20 int is right in line with what you want this guy to do. A human is fine though, humans are good at everything.

I'm not sure if the monk skills carry over into shapeshifted form: but I would just run straight druid anyway. He'll be a (literal!) beast in melee early on, when fighting is more important, and he'll have stronger spells later on when casting is more important. I haven't played much with monks though, he might be fine.

Sorcerer looks fine. You'll want to pick up Spell penetration eventually, but spell focus (and combat casting!) will be more helpful early on. This character can be your social face. Mercantile background isn't necessary - you'll have plenty of money.

You don't need an evil guy.

Thanks for this advice, and to everyone else who helped out too. I restarted with a tweaked party and am happy that it seems to be working well.

Re: the Druid mod, I went to http://weidu.org/iwd2.html and installed the ease of use and bg2 merchant (onto the GOG version, and of course with the widescreen mod).

I used:
Bugfixes
Infinite Stacking
Non-Combat War Chant of the Sith
Improved Holy Avenger
Deep Gnome Starting XP
Improved Moonblades
Improved Monk Fists
Collector's Edition Bonus Items
Magic Weapon Finesse
Always Get Some XP Per Kill
Include Forgotten Armor and Shields
Additional Druid Spells
Alternate Shapeshifting
Skip Battle Square

So, skipping anything that looked that it might be too cheaty/would change the game too much/I didn't understand. I assume the additional druid spells is the bit people are talking about? Looks like adding stoneskin to druids might make a difference, but seems sensible overall...

I wasn't going to add the skip battle square, but after seeing the advice here I think it seems like a good idea!

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

I'm using a Beserker (to Druid in BG2EE) in BGEE, with the new NPCs and Imoen, meaning 3 fighters, one mage, one dualed thief->mage that is currently a level 3 mage, and its completely doable. I just completed the hardest fight in SCS BG in my opinion (fully improved bandit camp), and if you can do that with just mages you can do anything.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Ya, honestly I find the improved bandit to not be that bad if you bring all the AoE. Necklace of missiles, fiery oil, explosive potions, etc. SCS sure makes it fun and it's a lot of bodies that hit the floor.

Speaking of the new NPCs, I really hated Rasaad at first but at level 6, he's been fine for me. The shield necklace was really the clincher in getting him to survive harder fights. He can drop down to about -4 AC in my game if he uses the necklace. The little fire based AoE skill is pretty handy for clearing away entire packs of stupid fodder.

Its definitely fun, but yeah you really need to use your AoEs well and protect your squishies. I used almost all of a wand of fire and the few explosive potions I'd picked up, but at least I didn't have to go and buy extra. Web is an absolute lifesaver in that fight.

I'm playing with all the items randomised and as I now don't know where to get the best weapons for each weapon type, it's got me thinking: the weapon proficiencies in BG2 are waaaay to narrow. If I am a grand master in say, spears, I shouldn't be completely useless with the weapon if I take the pointy bit off the end or add an axe head. Shortening a short sword slightly shouldn't make me incapable with it. And really, are the differences between a long sword, scimitar and katana really that pronounced? I'm making it so that for every two points in a weapon you get one in allied groups - e.g. Dorn has 2* in Two Handed Swords, he gets 1* in Bastard Swords, my PC has 4* in Spears, he gets 2*in Quarterstaff and Halberd. You could definitely extend this to Short Sword/Daggers, Hammers/Maces/Clubs, varieties of Long Sword, Short and Long Bow etc.

I would recommend playing with items randomised for experienced players - it does keep you guessing even if it can be frustrating.

Stumiester fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 26, 2013

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

Glimpse posted:

The first time I played BG I had to kite Sarevok around while the party pin cushioned him with arrows… for a really long time. In my mind Yakety Sax was playing in the background. On the playthrough I just finished with BGEE, I froze him with the wand of paralysation before he got a hit in and sent the lumberjacks to work. That wand works a little too well.

The three big wands - monster summoning, fire, and paralysation - are pretty much the king items in BG1. Fire is amazing AoE, Paralysation might as well be a wand of single-target death, as the effect lasts so long and is so hard to save against, and Monster Summoning is, of course, wonderful in every way. Fear, cold, lightening and missile are terrible in comparison - the fear wand in particular feels like it should have a stronger effect, as targets that fail against horror often seem to save against the wand.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

Good point - I'd forgotten that Neutralise Poison can cure disease.

Well, in Pen & Paper 2nd ed Slow Poison did exactly that - it made a poison stop functioning and not set in for 8 hours or some such. Dubious usefulness, because one was relatively unlikely to find a cure in that time period. Also, there were no small number of instant-acting poisons and the only thing that one could do for those was hope to not fail the saving throw. In computer BG, all poisons (that I know of) do damager over time, so a quick-casting low-level universal priestly poison cure is a godsend (pun very much intended) and drat near necessary.

Well, apart from the comically huge numbers of elixirs of health/antidotes about...

In my current run (which will be divine magic-less until I dual my Berserker -> Druid in BG2), I've realised just how little I used clerics for, and how much of the ways I used them were critically dull. Currently, if I need to fight I throw haste and emotion:hope (from the IWD BGEE mod) on with my mages, pop poison weapon with Dorn and Berserk with my PC and charge in. With clerics I'm always tempted to overbuff (do I need prot from evil? Probably not, but might as well... What about chant? Bless? Chuck them on too... etc), and never use them to heal unless in truly desperate straights (always too slow anyway) and instead plink away with a sling.

It feels at times as if clerics can pretty much be replaced wholesale with potions.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

2 quick questions: can Hexxat's class be changed with EEKeeper? Maybe to a thief/mage or thief/fighter?

And, if I go evil in hell as a Druid, I assume I keep druiding even if I'm Neutral Evil?

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

In BG2:EE, I can't enter the door in Neera's quest, in Waukeen's Promenade where the Red Wizards are without the game crashing. Any ideas?

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

homeless poster posted:

Had a weird bug with BG2EE and was wondering if anyone else has seen it. After getting the real Hexxat I had used the EE version of the character editing program to change her into a bounty hunter kit, as well as reassign her thief skills more intelligently. Following that, she died during a combat encounter, and when I went to the inn to rest, she respawned as the gas cloud that all vampires turn into when you reduce their HP to 0. She's otherwise fully functional, but her paper doll on the equipment screen is completely gone, and she is now effectively immortal, as I saw her drop into -47 HP during a subsequent fight and slowly regen everything back. I'm kind of bummed though because having a thief who is literally indestructible trivializes what is already an easy game, but also because it seems like her being stuck in cloud form had broken her personal quest. I got the cat paw staff from the one mummy tomb, and after leaving there's seemingly nothing I can do with the treasure, and no random NPCs are running up to me to further the quest.

I tried using the EE character editor to set her race back to human and the kill her and then respawned her, but it doesn't seem like any of my fuckery has fixed the issue. Has anyone else encountered something similar or know of a way to fix it?

Had exactly the same issue. Fixed it by kicking her out then accepting back in, then going into EE keeper, loading an earlier save, and copying over the lost equipment, give or take a few items, then deleted the casque from Charname's inventory and put it into hers.

Then, when she died next time she did it again, but at least this time she had the decency to drop her items before she turned into ghostcloud. I will not be using her in the future. P.S., I had to enter and leave the slums a few times after getting the thingamybob from the monk tomb to get the NPC to fire, maybe try that after fixing her?

I also got an interesting bug - the helm of balduran transformed into a vanilla helmet somewhere along the way. Its entirely possible that I misclicked after a Dorn death and just gave him the wrong one, but I strongly doubt it as its something you tend to keep track of. Sigh.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

Speaking as someone playing a Berserker/Druid, even without using Scimitars (used Spears/Quarterstaffs instead) or levelling up quickly (used Druid levels=Cleric levels from the tweak pack), my PC is still absurdly strong and probably the best PC I've used (previous PCs included Monk, Cleric of Lathander, Barbarian and Cavalier). With the Impaler, a weapon I've never used before, and spear grandmastery, he gets d6+13 damage with 4 attacks/round, plus ironskins/armour of faith, plus insects/nature's beauty plus heals.

At the end of the day, something like a Kensai/Mage is probably better in terms of pure damage/buffs, but using the shadow dragon armour plus helm of defence etc. makes the B/C pretty drat hard to hit even when his buffs get taken down.

P.S., making Viconia into a fighter/cleric multi and hexxat into a thief/mage multi means I can have a very strong and diverse party with just my PC/Viccy/the new NPCs. Also lets me use viconia finally, which I'm happy about.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

Is there anyway to teleport to a world map location without going through an edge of map transition? I ask because BG2:EE has failed me at the last gasp - trying to leave Amkethran to Abazigal's Lair or Sendai's Enclave causes an instant crash.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

I really hate how FoA +5 gets free action, which when you are used to going around with characters wearing boots of speed with extra haste cast on top means you have one character crawling along behind everyone else. Ugh.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

Kubla Khan posted:

Don't remember having real trouble there, twas a cool and long fight but I don't think it needs a gimmick strategy or anything. Buff up to the max, carry potions and don't panic. That said, I used a party of six premade characters because it's more fun for me this way (you're playing a difficulty mod, might as well).

If you're having trouble here I'd seriously consider reinstalling it without SCS2 because it only gets much harder from here on. It's a great mod but it does get a bit repetitive towards the second half of ToB.

Nah, this is wrong, at least in my experience - I was playing on insane, maybe that makes a difference. SCS shade lord is an absurd, ridiculous jump in difficulty from its surroundings, to the point to which I had little trouble killing the shadow dragon but had to wait till after the underdark for the shade lord (and even then it was hard). The rest of SCS is well-balanced in comparison.

And by the end of ToB you're just a blender anyway and there's no difficulty. The only way to make ToB a challenge that I've found is Ascension, which still doesn't work with EE?

Edit: just saw your edit and yeah I guess I pretty much agree with you re:ToB being dull, but I also think its more the game than the mod - ToB has never really been a particularly satisfying end to the "trilogy".

Stumiester fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 12, 2014

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

Is there a list anywhere of the exact stats of the new Skeleton Warriors from Animate Dead in the Enhanced Editions?

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

Playing BG2 with the underdog crew - those few NPCs which I have never used to finish the game before. I'm an Archer, and the list of candidates are:

Anomen
Mazzy
Rasaad
Nalia
Valygar
Cernd

Seems like Nalia and Anomen are pretty much essential to the party as they will provide the thievery and magic. So, my current plan is a 5-man party of Archer/Anomen/Nalia/Mazzy/Rasaad.

I'm almost tempted to take Cernd if only because I can't imagine when I'd ever use him if not, but he's just so poo poo. Might be useful for more magic though. Whats the best way to use Valygar? Is it worth it?

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

Hmm. BG2:EE bug in the planar prison - after finishing the prison I went to the troupe's cell, and Raelis Shai gives me xp but refuses to teleport us back. I've tried killing the troupe, resting for a few days etc. no luck. Is there any way to use the portal gem to get back without them, or am I hosed? On the iPad by the way, so no console :(

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

Stumiester posted:

Hmm. BG2:EE bug in the planar prison - after finishing the prison I went to the troupe's cell, and Raelis Shai gives me xp but refuses to teleport us back. I've tried killing the troupe, resting for a few days etc. no luck. Is there any way to use the portal gem to get back without them, or am I hosed? On the iPad by the way, so no console :(

Just for anyone who comes across the same bug: kill Haer'Dalis without triggering any of the others and you can get the teleport to trigger. Coincidentally giving an incredibly easy infinite XP trick (44k Quest XP/click, enough to level up to the cap in about a minute). Yay BG2:EE...

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

Washout posted:

you give up necromancy and iirc the only good spell there is skull trap which is not even used much once you get into BG2 where a ton of enemies are magic resistant and by that time you get delayed blast fireball if you really want to blow things up.

Um. Think you might have forgotten about something at level 8.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

I really enjoyed it. Probably helped by not kickstarting it/being aware of it till this summer when I picked it up on a whim & played it through. The big plus points for me were the cities which were sufficiently well presented & deep, the reasonably interesting philosophical digressions (no Planescape Torment, but what is), and I thought the Numenera idea of a world so far into the future full of weird stuff from the past that no one understands is a genuinely good & interesting one. It weakens toward the end, its a little short, and I was never enamoured of the fighting, but overall? I have very positive memories. Having said that, I don’t remember particular events/characters with the clarity of PS:T.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

So how do you install 1.13 on Jagged Alliance on Steam? All the webpages seem to be pre-windows 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

I think I might need to reinstall BG2ee with mods - I have a fairly standard loadout (dungeon be gone/ascension/scs/a few npcs/tweak) but with a twist: stuck a randomiser at the end for the first time. Worked fine in bg1, but in 2 it seems to have also randomly given npcs and items lines of dialog as a name:

Which although funny feels like its storing up potential problems for later. Also, Minsc is a vanilla fighter, Jaheria is a vanilla druid, Imoen is a T/M multiclass & Yoshimo is somehow a F/Bounty Hunter multiclass…

Is there an agreed upon order for mods? I think I did something like:
DBG
Ascension
Tweak
SCS
NPCs
Randomiser