Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

sebzilla posted:

Magic Missiles tops out at 25, I thought? 1d4+1 per missile, 5 missiles at lvl 9.
He must have used a higher difficulty. Insane doubles the damage dealt to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

Ha I'm super cheesing it. I scout everything, then when I see something nasty coming, I dump all my PC's buffs in a big pile at once, then slap on full plate +1 and treat him as a mega-buffed fighter.
That's what I did for all of BG1 and most of chapters 1 and 2 of BG2. Be sure to use Draw Upon Holy Might while you still have it as a Bhaalspawn ability. My character has 20 cleric levels and can get 25 across all physical stats (which have a base of 19) thanks to it.

Aerie can serve as a cleric as well if you dislike Anomen.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

jBrereton posted:

Only problem with doing this as a basic Cleric is that you have one attack. So you can get 25 across the board with your bullshit ultra scummed character who also happened to get all the books... on one attack per round...
Oh yeah, I agree. I'm soloing as a Fighter/Mage/Cleric though, which means I get plenty of attacks thanks to dual wielding, weapon specialization and extra Fighter attacks. (And in higher levels there's Improved Whirlwind Attack.) And that's on top of all the Cleric and Mage buffs. Draw Upon Holy Might, Mirror Image, Stoneskin, Improved Invisibility (and as needed Remove Fear, Freedom of Movement, Negative Plane Protection, Chaotic Commands, etc) make for a real engine of destruction. The fact I can cast Sanctuary and fully heal and rebuff in the middle of combat if something goes wrong is really good, since Sanctuary isn't affected by casting spells on yourself like Invisibility is. Add to that the fact that the Robe of Vecna and Amulet of Power applies to all spells, meaning that casting Heal in the middle of battle is instantaneous.

Drowning In Terror posted:

You should be able to get an effective AC decently lower than -20 using your other short-term buffs.
Thanks for the tip. And I imagine that I could drop my AC even further with more buffs. Though that would take more prep time to cast them all, and even at the Insane difficulty my character is steamrolling everything in vanilla BG2.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Armour of Faith, Hardiness, Defender of Easthaven. Come at me, (half-)bro.
Do all of those stack?

Throw in Mirror Image, Stoneskin and Protection from Magical Weapons for added frustration to your enemy. I wonder if attacks negated from Protection from Magical Weapons count against Stoneskin.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

MegaGatts posted:

Late in ToB there's a dude who will pay you 100k gold it. If you refuse you get 100k XP.
Good to know that my packrat tendencies will be rewarded in the end. Does Neera need to be with you for that to happen?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

jBrereton posted:

(if Xan wasn't grating to be around, I'd have kept him along, which I'm thinking of doing anyway because Minsc Was Never Funny and I left him somewhere safe)
Xan can't cast Evocation spells though. Which mean no Chromatic Orb, Web or Fireball.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

verybad posted:

You can use throwing axes (and daggers, I think) - the weight is a bit of a pain, but it makes the early game go a bit smoother. Throwing daggers are actually very strong in BGEE with specialization and high strenght, though there are no magical ones. You can get a returning throwing axe +2, but that's fairly late in the game.
Thrown weapons have the disadvantage of having a shorter range than bows, slings and crossbows. For a cavalier that might actually be a good thing though, since he will move ahead of the party tanking enemies and drawing attacks that could otherwise be aimed at weaker characters. It's the reason I have mages use slings instead of darts though; a mage who likes to walk ahead of the rest of the party and then draw all enemy attacks to him won't have a very long career.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

verybad posted:

I think that's only darts, actually. I haven't noticed any problems with my druid using throwing daggers or Khalid with throwing axes.
Oh, OK. Somehow I had gotten the impression it applied to all thrown weapons.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Nightblade posted:

Hah, I've never actually played DnD, so I've always wondered what the point of neutralize poison was when you already had slow poison doing what it does.
I guess that in Baldur's Gate Neutralize Poison has the added advantage of also healing 1-8 HP, thought I don't think that this is worth a 4th level spell slot.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

TINA TURNER posted:

An Indian and a werebeetle.
Amn at the top and her shadow at the bottom.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Accretionist posted:

I imported a F/M/T from ToB into BGI and he's naturally immune to normal weapons. He had the upgraded elven chain with that immunity equipped and I guess the game removes the armor but not the buff!
Was the character made in ToB? Because one of the trials of Bhaal at the end of SoA make you immune to +1 weapons or less if you pick the good option.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Kangaxx immunity to anti-magic cheese confirmed. RIP my entire party.

I guess the only thing to do is throw summons at him so that he'll waste his imprisonments. How many does he have?
Infinite I think.

Have you tried scrolls of protection from magic or undead? In my last game I took him out with an Fighter/Mage/Cleric wielding the Staff of Rynn +4 and the Ring of the Ram while under the protection of Spell Immunity: Abjuration.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

jBrereton posted:

Because checkpoint saving is terrible. It's right up there with boss fights after unskippable cutscenes in terms of frustrating mechanics.

If you want to not save, that option is always available to you.
Agreed. I think that having to replay the same content over and over because a difficult fight or obstacle kills you later in the game but before the next checkpoint is frustrating rather than fun. To me it looks like a lazy way to pad out gameplay time.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Though I find it strange you fight Szass Tamm considering the Spellplague hadn't happened yet.
Why do you say that? 2E AD&D had adventures where the PCs opposed or even fought him.

Cythereal posted:

You do realize how old these games are and what BG1 in particular was meant to evoke, right? Both for DnD and CRPGs at that time, blindsiding players and making them think carefully about how to approach something were par for the course.
This isn't really a problem for BG because players can just reload their last save and try again. In a game with no reloads though, inflicting horrible and unexpected death would be frustrating rather than fun, especially if the players had been using their characters for a while and grown attached to them.

And I agree we should avoid having the thread degenerate into a D&D edition war.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

You know, I could have sworn that Beholder actually was supposed to do something at the end of Black Pits. At least I thought he did the last time I played, but this time, nope. Baeloth's helpers all went down to detonation arrows, Baeloth went down to a mugging, and that was it.
He does. If you kill Baeloth's minion's first, Baeloth summons the Beholder and you have to fight him alongside Baeloth. If you take out Baeloth while the minions are still alive he doesn't appear.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Anyone recall which game it was wherein you could present a minor boss with your collection of corpses and the monster's just freaked out and leaves? Like a dead boy, a dead cat, a dead something else. I could've sworn it was Baldur's Gate 2 but alas, it was not.
Here are the dialogs from IWD2 with Yquog. First set is if you have some but not all of them. Second set is with all three corpses:

quote:

PC: Wait! Isn't there a peaceful way to settle this? Perhaps I have something you'd like - say this *dead cat/man/woman,* for instance....
Yquog: Uh... Why are you carrying around a dead cat/man/woman?
PC (carrying a cat's corpse): Doesn't everybody carry around a dead cat? It's soft, and furry - well, parts of him are still furry - it's low maintenance, and the smell is rather cleansing, once you get used to it.
PC (man's): Oh, him? He's my good luck charm! You see, he was my first kill, and ever since then I've been carrying him around for good luck. As you can see with my exemplary success against the Legion of the Chimera's many hordes, he works like a charm!
PC (woman's): Her name is MISTY! Be polite to my Misty, she's very dear to me. It's hard enough to offer her to you, even though it was her suggestion. What? What's that, sweety? You think the lumpy demon is funny looking...?
PC (man's and woman's): Ha, ha, funny you should ask. You see, I'm their chaperone for their date - you know, I'm around so they don't do anything that they would later regret. It'd be a shame if I had to end their little outing by handing one of them over to you, but... Hey, wait a bit! Why don't you chaperone them?
PC (man's & cat's): Hey, easy on the *dead* comment - Buddy's very sensitive about that. As for Spot, well, Buddy always harped about wanting a pet, so one day I caved and gave him one. He was a tough bugger to get, but one swift *whack...*
PC (woman's & cat's): Hey, easy on the *dead* comment - Misty's very sensitive about that. As for Spot, well, Misty always harped about wanting a pet, so one day I caved and gave her one. He was a tough bugger to get, but one swift *whack...*
Yquog: NO! What's wrong with you?! You're insane! How could an insane fleshy mortal reap such havoc on the Legion of the Chimera?! I can't eat you; you'll give me some kind of mental disease! I'll just kill you and leave the body for the rats!

PC: Wait! Isn't there a peaceful way to settle this? Perhaps I have something you'd like - say this dead cat,* or this *dead man,* or *dead woman,*...
Yquog: You... You mean to say that you carry dead things with you wherever you go?!
PC: Of course! Doesn't everyone? For me, it's kind of like a memento of all the slaughter I wrought during this campaign against the Legion of the Chimera.
Yquog: You... I... But... By Iyachtu Xvim, you're SICK! You hold no concept or understanding for things alive or dead! I want no part of you, not when I'm so close to maturity! Collect all the bodies you want, sick fleshy mortal, but you'll not have mine! I'll leave this place, and you, in peace and never return, of this I swear!
PC: Oh, well, okay, if you insist. Pity, though, you'd have made a fine addition to my pretty, tender collection...
Yquog: AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm really glad Baldur's Gate was my introduction to D&D, because god knows if I had started with 3e, I likely would've ended shortly after.
I think you're exaggerating things. NWN2 actually has recommended options that you can take for your character. Delving into the details is optional. Someone who wants to take a prestige class just has to look at what the requirements are when creating a characters. If they fail to do so, they could just keep leveling the core class. Someone starting out can make a basic is somewhat suboptimal character and delve deeper (perhaps looking at character builds online) in later playthroughs.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

verybad posted:

This is a bad thing, as the players who are likely to go for the recommended build are the new players, while optimizers are at least experienced with the system, if not the game - they're the ones who are looking for a challenge, but they beat the game in character generation.
The same can be said to apply to BG though, with experienced players making Kensai/Mages and Cleric/Rangers.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Because the poo poo is entirely clouded. None of it is transparent. Is your character good or bad? In Baldur's Gate that's pretty easy: "I am FIGHTER, my stats are low, I have no items. My character is weak." But knowing how strong your character is - or god forbid is going to be if you decided to make, say, a rogue - is really difficult to figure out on your own.
NWN2 gives you the freedom to create your character as you want it to be. Admittedly that can lead to characters that are very weak, but that is inevitable as long as the game provides you with options. Not all of them can be equally good. E.g. in NWN2 you could play a pure wizard who wields a greatsword, something simply not allowed in BG. Or someone might want to make a character who's the best weaponsmith in the planet. His combat abilities will suffer, but that's his choice to make. I never tried crafting weapons or armor, but crafting magic items is really worth it in NWN2. You can create items that are much more powerful than what the game gives you. It's not necessary, and I finished my first playthrough without crafting a single item and had no problems, but it's a nice reward for people who want to create things and does indirectly provide a substantial boost a character's effectiveness. An inexperienced player can just stick with a recommended build or look at online guides. If they ignored these, they could end up crippling their characters, but then again in BG someone could make an Int 3 warrior who dies when an Illithid looks at him funny or a late dual-class that ends up crippling their PC.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

By the way, did BG1:EE add any Ioun Stones to the main campaign? I seem to recall seeing one, but it might have been in the Black Pits as opposed to BG1 itself.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's a purple (I think?) ioun stone sold by the High Hedge dude, which is relatively worthless (gives you infravision or something similarly pointless). I've yet to find any others.
I went and had a look and it wasn't for sale there. Googling for Deep Purple Ioun Stone reveals that it's an item added by the Exotic Items Pack.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Zarfol posted:

Was wandering around in a tavern and ran into a lich behind a hidden door. Keldorn with Carsomyr absolutely wrecked him, which is why I'm scared to get rid of him.
Keldorn rules. He makes any fight against mages or liches trivial. I also liked his personality since he shows considerable humility rather than being the negative paladin stereotype. He does hate Viconia, but then again she does worship the primordial evil deity of the setting.

I had him in Viconia in my party in my first playthrough of BG2. The way I handled the conflict was to reload my last save from the last time they fought. The timer for them fighting is based on real time so if you reload you can get them to coexist for a few more hours. (Also I kicked Keldorn out and had him rejoin after reloading, thinking that might be what's resetting the timer, but it turns out I was wrong about that.)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't blame the playtesters on that one. Killing off Imoen after all that would have felt pretty loving womeninrefrigerators.txt :stare:
It would have probably made me feel a bit guilty that I spent months gallivanting around the Amnish countryside doing random quests such as retrieving gongs for people while Irenicus experimented on Imoen and slowly killed her.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Canopus250 posted:

Oh its good, but he skipped sleep and horror for it. The problem with him making the character without me being around. Thanks for the heads up and I will try it again when I get home but it just kept telling me I needed to reload resources but I was probably doing it wrong.
Sleep especially and Horror to a lesser extent are only good at low levels. Magic Missile is certainly the better option if creating a sorcerer. Though if you're willing to use EEKeeper to reshuffle his spell list as he levels then I guess picking them for the early game makes sense.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

The Spell Revisions mod on gibberlings changes Sleep's rules to affect monsters with a hit dice less than the caster's level, which is a big help.
That sounds rather overpowered to me. Sleep is only a 1st level spell after all. It being able to take out high level monsters seems excessive.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

kingcom posted:

I never tried sleep on ogres until I saw it get used in the current lets play going on and realised how much harder I made the game.
Even without Sleep, there are ways to deal with them. In my latest playthrough for example I didn't use Sleep at all (since I have an Invoker who can't cast Enchantment spells) and didn't have any problems with ogres. Having 3 warriors specializing in longbows (and the rest of the party also using ranged weapons) meant that even ogre bersekers tended to die before they could close into the party and deal damage. I thus didn't need to resort to spells, though I do wonder if Spook or Horror would be effective against them.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

kingcom posted:

Sure but playing the ranged attack/kiter game is actual effort, versus hitting the free-win button.
I didn't even need to kite. As long as it was only one ogre, I could usually drop it in the time it took to go from the edge of the fog of war to the party. This method has the advantage that you don't need to rest often in order to regain spells, thus avoiding getting ambushed.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Suspicious posted:

Oh, I just glossed over the wizard slayer part. You might not be able to use it. Can't use the ring of free action either? You might be poo poo out of luck. Thankfully you can avoid mind flayers entirely in SoA.
There was Phaere's rescue mission where you have to fight mind flayers though. Unless someone skips the Drow city quest line and heads straight to the surface.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

I've taken to using Keldorn as a sacrificial dispel machine and just having Sarevok run in circles trying to appear menacing without stopping long enough to actually get hit. It's not really that big of a deal since my party still kicks rear end, but it's kinda sad watching them turn so useless after so many good times together:smith:
What difficulty are you running? Is that vanilla ToB?

Have you got Hardiness and/or Resist Magic running on them? That might help improve their survivability. Also Improved Invisibility or other buffs might help.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Accretionist posted:

That silver sword with the 25% chance of an instagib is another ridiculous pairing. Sarevok's a beast
Using that sword with Greater Whirlwind Attack to get 10 chances to decapitate your target in a round should be fun.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 3, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't remember ever succeeding in door forcing in BG1, even with a hoss fighter like Minsc. But I might be thinking of Fallout 2, where the feature works for exactly one door and is otherwise completely useless.
My Fighter/Mage/Cleric solo was pretty good at bashing doors. Then again I used Draw Upon Holy might to boost the PC's strength to above 20. Some can be bashed with just 18 though. Some were too difficult to bash, and I used Knock for them.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

What annoyed me with the AI is that the default fighter script seems to switch targets to the last enemy that attacked a character, meaning that you can't focus damage on enemies when using it. Ironically the ranged attack script seems to focus on a single enemy much more when in melee combat, though it has the disadvantage that characters will periodically run away from melee even if they have no ranged weapons equipped.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Rolling Scissors posted:

When Neera turned the Shadow Dragon to stone with a wild surge all was forgiven.
I had one wild mage PC who tried to cast Stoneskin and got a wild surge that petrified him. That was rather ironic.

JustJeff88 posted:

Some might say "well, change the slider down when you want to scribe a spell/level up", but I think that they prepared for that, because I would still get random hit points at leveling up if I turned down the difficulty slider after getting the little + sign in the character portrait. I guess that the game calculates HP gains before you hit level up, and that screen is just reporting it to you.
I don't think so. If you save before you hit the level up button you get a different number of HP if you reload. Though the number is fixed when you hit level up, so if you exit and reenter the level up screen the result remains the same.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

maev posted:

Any intelligent, power hungry 'evil' character in dnd will have an eye on his reputation, since being known as some thug crimelord who casts magic missile at babies every chance he gets is a pretty quick way to be killed, or at the very least hated by everyone who could help you get to where you want to be.
Indeed. Sarevok is a monster, but he has great PR.

That's one of the things I liked about Planescape: Torment. You can give replies along the lines of "(Lie) I too love justice" to NPCs in order to manipulate them.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Furism posted:

Except for the miniature giant space hamster, isn't Coran better than Minsc if you're going to use them as archers?
Coran does have a 20 dex compared to Minsc's 15, giving him a +3 bonus and the +1 elf bonus. On the other hand, Coran is a multiclass character and will level more slowly than Minsc, meaning that his THAC0 will decrease more slowly which will mitigate that difference. Also with his 14 str, Coran can't use composite longbows.

Edit: I see that BGEE has kept his 3 dots in longbow, which gives him an additional +2 to hit and +1 damage over Minsc. Looks like Coran is better. His only disadvantage is that you can only get him later in the game and he may have fallen behind the party XP-wise.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 5, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

What exactly is the trigger for finishing Kivan's quest? Apparently the timer was drastically shortened in the Enhanced Edition. He started complaining just as I was finishing the Nashkel Mines.
In my last game I made a beeline for the bandit camp and cleared it out after he complained to me and he never tried leaving. I don't know if visiting the bandit camp area suffices to satisfy him so I finished the area to be on the safe side.

What level are you? The camp might be doable if you can peel off the bandits in small numbers. (I hope you have Resist or Remove Fear for the boss fight.)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

Level 4 (5 for the thieves), so the camp is doable, if not exactly a smart choice. To be honest it's a while since I've played BG without SCS installed so I'm not sure what to expect. I may do a frontal assault just to be safe. Infiltrating the camp is a pain since there's no room to maneuver after the fight in the tent.
I just did the bandit camp in my current run at the same level and had no problems. I didn't infiltrate it either but approached it from the west and slowly killed off the bandits before attacking the main tent.

DeathChicken posted:

I think Mazzy kind of suffers from where she joins you. By the time you're all the way over to where she is, you're probably already fairly entrenched with who you're going to use.
The reason I haven't really used Mazzy is her weapon proficiencies. Shortswords seem like an odd choice for a fighter. And at the level you get her, starting to put points on a different weapon seems quite inefficient.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Devorum posted:

You have to defeat the bandit leader, then go talk to Officer Vai in Beregost with no bandit scalps in your inventory. This triggers the end of the bandit quest, and also triggers Kivan's "We gotta kill Tazok!" quest.
In my previous game I recruited Kivan right at the start of the game and cleared out the bandit camp but never talked to Officer Vai and Kivan never left during the around 130 days my party was together.

Then again I was in a panic because of Kivan's thread to leave and rushed to clear out the bandit camp without ever speaking to the child messenger or Vai. As a result she never spawned in that game.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

oswald ownenstein posted:

Mazzy and Jan are two of the best characters in the game, though, dialogue wise.

Mazzy and Korgan also defy the "don't keep LG and CE characters in your party" because Korgan has a crush on Mazzy.
I don't know which is scarier; Korgan wanting to gently caress you or kill you.

Korgan: "Be aware, Mazzy, I've something long, hard and low to the ground ye're free to touch and fondle. Child, no need to glare! 'Twas me axe I were referring to."
Mazzy: "Your sense of humor has no sense in it, Korgan. Quite tasteless, and I'd appreciate if you would keep it to yourself!"
Korgan: "Were ye aware, Mazzy, that despite my gruff bearing and taciturn manner, I am also trained in the erotic arts?"

ChiTownEddie posted:

Is there really a bear you can have in your party in BG2EE?

...I want that so bad.
Yes, but he isn't very good. You need to learn about him from one of the people in the Wild Mage camp from Neera's quest and then you can meet the bear when you visit an area unlocked by Rasaad's quest. Speak to the bear, then secure its freedom and after that you can meet and recruit it from the point of entry in the area you found it in.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm surprised Jan has so many fans honestly. The dude is just nonstop monkey cheese ~so random~ bullshit, CAD style. At least Minsc has the decency to thoroughly abuse metaphors in creative if insane ways.
Agreed. I never liked Jan. He was pretty much the embodiment of "lol random" and I found him annoying rather than funny. I did like the fact that his personal quest didn't end in a sugary sweet manner and instead had a realistic end (for those who haven't seen it, Jan's old crush seeks shelter with him from her abusive husband but eventually goes back to him after he promises to stop beating her; which is a pretty realistic depiction of what often happens with battered women). Though the ToB epilogue reversed that and had Jan murder the guy in a "wacky" manner and then marries the woman to provide a good ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Kagain doesn't get a lot of discussion but he's still probably one of the best warriors in the game and for BG1 when he's walking around with 20 constitution.
His constitution is great, though his strength (16) and dexterity (12) aren't that great. I guess you could slap the gauntlets of dexterity or strength or the belt of strength from the enhanced edition to turn him into a physical stat juggernaut, though that would deny these items to other characters. He does have the advantage that he can get grandmastery though and he does level faster than rangers, paladins or multiclass PCs so he certainly has advantages.

TINA TURNER posted:

HAve you seen Beamdog's forums? Those people gobble this poo poo right up.
I though that some of the "wacky" dialog the PC gets in the new content is rather excessive. The original game had the PC use some too, but it was more sporadic and rather more low key.