Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: I've added the current character stats to check and see if I messed up during character creation:

Always put 18 into wisdom at character creation when playing Planescape: Torment no matter what class you want to play as. Trust me on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Also mention the difference between "<target> is immune to my damage" (wrong damage type) and "weapon ineffective" (weapon not enchanted enough.)

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Well I'm putting the Eyeless cult sidequest in BG2 on hold as I can't be damned to get pass those undeads and snake people. I've started this game over many times before and I was wondering what sidequests/dungeons are the easiest and should be done first?

The mystery of the copper coronet is extremely easy, as is its follow up quest. Talk to the owner and say you are interested in "other forms of entertainment" to get access to the back rooms.

After that I'd say Nalia's quest (started in the copper coronet) is also relatively easy and should be done second. After those two you should be strong and well equipped enough to take on any quest.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

For Torment, you're justified in just cheating your stats up to all 18s. A lot of the more interesting story content is gated on having 18 Wis/Int/Cha, and the combat just isn't very good. All 18s means you can experience as much of the :words: as you want and get a leg up in the pretty bad combat.

The game checks for either high intelligence or wisdom for dialogues almost all the times though. Wisdom gives an experience bonus which translates into more levels and thus more stat points to distribute. Intelligence isn't useful if you aren't a mage. You don't need to be a mage, I guess that's the point I was indirectly making. Starting with 18 wisdom will unlock the vast majority of dialogue options and you can spend the rest of your points in physical stats if you want.

Charisma-only options with no wise alternatives are pretty rare. So rare that I can't think of a meaningful one.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

Is the only way to get the Ring of Wizardry from doing the Harper quest line? I am a mage/cleric and didn't get planar sphere for my stronghold because I did cleric stronghold first. I kicked Jaheria out as soon as the game started. Is it possible to still complete the quest line if I add her back to my party? It is pretty much the last piece of powerful items I am missing from my super powered character.

Yes, the only way to get the ring of wizardry outside of crafting it as part of the wizard stronghold quest is by doing Jaheira's quest line. Did you already do Xzar's quest?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Arcaeris posted:

Also what sense does it make that an Archer can't wear mithril chain mail +4 but can wear ankheg plate mail? Even a loving Thief can wear that chain.

That's a discrepancy from porting the BG2 engine and its kits over to BG1 content since archers most definitely cannot wear ankheg plate forged by Cromwell in BG2.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It's other spell protections that don't protect against AoE since they're not targeted directly on the mage like a single target spell would be, but the globe spells have most definitely always made you immune to fireball and lightning and such.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
No, being mazed ending the game has always been a solo only thing. It's imprisonment that ends the game even if you have party members able to free your PC.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Spell immunity: abjuration also stops and protects against dispel/remove magic, so you're covered.

The way I handle improved Abazigal is to ignore him so he stays in his fairly harmless human form until everything else is dead, then unload on him. He typically doesn't have time to do anything before dying.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Factor_VIII posted:

My experience with Tactics was installing it, meeting with Improved Ilyich and watching as his cleric summoned a Fallen Deva to face off against my level 8 party. The advice for dealing with that was that you had to disrupt the cleric's spellcasting if you want to stand a chance of winning. I uninstalled Tactics after that.

I cheesed it by avoiding their patrol area and grabbing Yoshimo ASAP, then spamming his traps and clicking dual class/canceling to refill them. If the mod cheats then so will I.

The worst part of "improved" Ilyich is how the gang uses an alarm call to warn each other when they see you (so you can't peel them off 1 by 1), that also turns the captive dryads hostile. This means you can't complete their quest or the genie one for the sword of chaos. Yay.

It's supposed to be a joke though?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
They gave Bodhi a bunch of evil cleric and mage spells because, why not, she's a boss! No no she can't just be a vampire, we have to make everything arbitrarily hard.

I had forgotten about "improved" Irenicus. Your party is knocked unconscious so he steals some of your items. Not all your items mind you. And also doesn't outright kill you because reasons? Argh so dumb.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You can join Bodhi with Keldorn, just keep him far away from the conversation so he won't hear it. He won't complain during any of the tasks you perform for her.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Keldorn isn't totally cool with working for the Shadow Thieves, he only very reluctantly agrees for the sake of Imoen and warns you not to do anything too drastic.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Soloing effectively requires knowing the game pretty well, unless you don't mind precisely following a walkthrough for this kind of thing. What's so bad about managing a party anyway? You can always try having a smaller party, say 3-4 characters. Have a thief, a mage and a cleric and you should do ok with no foreknowledge required.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Chaotic commands is important to protect against their psionic blast spam. If they manage to stun someone, the enemy AI will beeline to that party member and attack. All hits vs. incapacitated targets are basically automatic (+10 or +15 bonus to THAC0? something like that), so he or she will die very quickly to brain drain.

You can easily exploit that nasty AI behavior though. Mind flayer areas are very cramped, so it's very easy to deliberately not cast chaotic commands on a party member, someone in the back, say your mage, and have the rest of your protected party members block the way. Once the psionic barrage is done, the bait will be stunned, and the mind flayers will futilely try to move *through* your party to reach the delicious paralyzed brains in the back, and they won't fight back as the rest of your party cuts them down.

Skwirl posted:

Restoration should restore any drained int.

No. Stat drain is temporary and you have to wait it out.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
That's weird. Mind flayers are supposed to see through invisibility. Or maybe that was Tactics, not SCS.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
His chance to catch you is probably much higher than 15%. Drink another one.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Quick question: I want to multiclass a Berserker/Druid through the entire series, starting in BG. When would be a good level to switch over from Berserker? I've seen people say 7 but I'm not entirely sure why. Grandmastery is at 9, right? Is it worth giving that up?

Choose:

Level 7 is the first bonus half-attack for being a warrior.
Level 9 is the last D10 of HP on level up.
Level 13 is the second and last bonus half-attack for being a warrior. It will take you a long time to reach druid level 14 however.

Grandmastery is overrated. It only gives +1 THAC0 +1 damage -1 speed factor over specialization (2 pips). Note that when you'll regain your berserker class, you'll still be able to spend up to 5 pips anyway, making the dual point moot if that's the only thing you care about.

Remember that you need to be a true neutral human with 15 strength, 17 wisdom and 17 charisma when you dual, so plan your starting stats & tome usage accordingly. Also don't spend pips in non-druid weapons as a berserker because you won't be able to use those anymore when you dual.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 26, 2013

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Do you have a mage? Cast slow (level 3) on them. This will significantly drop their attack power and make them easier to hit.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Scent of Worf posted:

The circus mage has slow but I am not sure if it is level 3.. would it still work?

It is level 3, that's its spell level. I specified it so you wouldn't have to check every page of your mage's spellbook.

The fight should be much easier if you use it. You'll know if it worked by the white effect on the trolls and their sudden decrease in movement speed. If it didn't, reload or cast it again (assuming you memorized another cast of it).

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
What were you hitting? Some monsters have damage resistances.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It's everything but the strength bonus that gets multiplied.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

I never did figure out how to make that drat wand key turn into actual wands

In the hallway of undetectable traps where you see an invading thief trigger a trap and die with a duergar calling him an idiot, double click on the pillars that line the wall to turn your keys into wands and disable the traps.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

Isn't Edwin a conjurer and barred from evocation or am I remembering wrong?

An enchanter would be barred from evocation. A conjuror is banned from divination.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It's the annoyance of the 3 BG1 NPC mages. Dynaheir can't cast sleep and Xan can't cast magic missile, web or fireball (though he can cast skull trap). While Edwin can do both, he can't cast identify for all the magic loot you'll collect. Kind of makes me want to pull out my hair when I'm playing through as a non-wizard and trying to decide which one I want in the party.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
That's way more complicated than downloading the Level 1 NPC mod and letting it do all the character editing for you.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It doesn't. The + always indicates a bonus, even when that stat is better when lower.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

TjyvTompa posted:

If I beat Watchers Keep in SoA will I be able to beat it again in ToB? If I don't beat Watchers Keep in SoA, just progress toward level 4, will that progress be saved in ToB or do I have to do it all over from the beginning?

Your progress will remain. They're the exact same areas that you access from either SoA or ToB.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Rangers and paladins will fall and lose their powers. No consequences for anyone else beyond the alignment shift.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
How is his 18 wisdom more appealing, especially later? All it does is give him an extra level 3 and level 4 slot over Anomen's 16 wisdom. Nice in BG1 and early BG2 but inconsequential late SoA/ToB when you have 9 of each.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Even if it has a lousy effect like infravision or no effect at all (the mask in the Firkraag dungeon), equip it anyway. Everything in the head slot protects against critical hits. Unless of course the EE fixed that, but I don't think so.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
There's a greenstone amulet in the beholder lair. Avoid mind flayers until then.

No you won't lose the keep. Everything is paused until chapter 6.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

Thank you for your help, thought that wizard slayers couldn't use it, I'll grab it when I get to the Underdark.

Oh, I just glossed over the wizard slayer part. You might not be able to use it. Can't use the ring of free action either? You might be poo poo out of luck. Thankfully you can avoid mind flayers entirely in SoA.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
That fight is entirely avoidable as is the underdark. When you get drow form from the dragon you can go to the exit and convince the drow guards that you're reinforcements going to the surface. Alternately attack (and kill, if you want) the dragon and the exit door will automatically open.

There are some unavoidable mind flayers in Sendai's lair but before that you get an anti-psionic two handed sword in Yaga-Shura's lair.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Once you hit a certain point with enemy casters, they start getting buffs on top of buffs - like pogothemonkey said, breach is required to make wizards immediately vulnerable to physical damage, but a lich / most all casters in ToB (including dragons) will fire off the level 9 "spell trap" as soon as combat starts, which will eat whatever magic you throw at it, including breach spells.

Nope, not unless you have mods installed. Spell trap, spell deflection and spell turning do not absorb, deflect or nullify protection strippers. Breach will happily remove protection from magical weapons and stoneskin from a mage with spell trap up. The only way to stop breach in the stock game is to be immune to spell levels 1 through 5 (like a lich is) or invisibility of some kind, forcing a true sight first.

They won't stop AoE spells that aren't directly targeted at the caster either. Spell trap is actually pretty bad for the AI. Against the AI it's good because they'll directly target you.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I don't think anyone knew you could bash that door.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It was reputation. Nothing checks for your alignment in BG1 except the paladin in the tavern in Baldur's Gate.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Yeah, Mazzy is cool and all (she was in my party the first time I beat ToB) but she just begs to be Level1NPC'ed into something better.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Spell protections (like spell trap) will not be removed by dispel, however they will do nothing to prevent the other protections from being removed. The only way to be protected from that is to have spell immunity: abjuration up, but no enemy casts that spell unless you have mods install.

So play an inquisitor, cast dispel, beat them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
WS miscast working on ranged is an "optional but cool" component of the BG2 fixpack. Any word if the EE included those?