Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Sorcerers still need a minimum of 9 int to be able to cast spells and use wands and scrolls but other than that there is no main stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
No, it's always been an alignment restricted dialogue choice. Same with siding with Firkraag.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The druid level progression is hosed. You get to level 12 super quickly (300,000 exp). Then you need 450,000 for the next level. Then 750,000. Then 1,500,000 for level 15. After that it goes fast again at 150,000 per level for about 6 levels. Then it gradually slows down to 500,000 per level until the 8,000,000 cap.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Romance matches are checked when you start a new game, just before you're stripped of your inventory, hence the trick with having the belt of sex change equipped when importing from BG1 letting you have gay/lesbian romances. Maybe the EE changed that?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Really? A <18 INT wizard will never gain level 9 slots in the EE?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Which is the same as in the original. They just fixed the bug where level 9 spells specifically didn't factor intelligence when copying or indeed, if you already had the spell learned. The other spell levels worked normally. So intelligence is still mostly useless.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Web combined with mass ranged weapons make some BG1 encounters really easy though. Plus you can always drink a potion of freedom or equip spider's bane to be immune to web.

I don't like cloudkill unless I know for sure it'll instantly kill everything. ~5ish damage per round is pretty lousy when I could be spamming fireballs instead.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
SI: Abjuration doesn't protect against protection removers. It does protect against dispel/remove magic, however.

That's if you don't have SCS or some other spell revision mod installed.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Trademeet isn't bad, if you have issues with the final fight ask here and we can tell you how to cheat, but make sure you have a druid and they're fully rested with a good spell selection.

You don't need to have a druid. You can have Cernd fight it even when he's not in your party and he'll win easily.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Sleep of Bronze posted:

To answer more thoroughly, terrible people like to dump Charisma on all their characters (because gently caress talking to people in this roleplaying game, rite?)

No. It's because charisma is absolutely not needed on your main character.

In BG1 you immediately get the best thief in the game, Imoen, for free (no reaction check). She also happens to have a charisma score of 16, giving you a reaction bonus of +4 if you make her the party face. All you need after that is a reputation of 14 to get a bonus of +1 to your reaction. Having an aggregate reaction bonus of +5 is all that's needed to get the best reactions and rewards.

In BG2, there are no reaction checks at all. Not only that, but as soon as you're out of the starting dungeon, right next to where you are, you can do a quick and easy quest that rewards you with a ring that boosts your charisma to 18. Put in on before shopping.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Yeah, I love Tutu but it does some dumb things like that. When going from Baldur's Gate's simple weapon groups to BG2's more specialized ones, they had to make their own decisions on what to make of the Large Sword group as it was split into longswords, bastard swords, and two-handers.
Khalid got the short end of the stick. Even if he didn't have the dual wield thing, there are hardly any magic bastard swords to begin with in the base game.

They could have easily done what I do: look at what the NPC comes equipped with by default to make the decision. Khalid comes with a bastard sword and (at level 2+) a long bow. Therefore, his large sword proficiency is bastard sword proficiency, and his bow proficiency is a long bow one. The 1 pip he has in axes is unambiguous. Giving him 2 pips in dual wielding is totally arbitrary and stupid in BG1 besides.

There are plenty enough bastard swords +1 in the game. There are even 2 bastard swords +3 vs. shapeshifters, which make werewolf island quite a bit easier.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

TehGherkin posted:

Grognard incoming, I really get irritated by the way haste fatigues everyone. Technically, they're moving at their normal speed only magically enhanced, therefore they aren't exerting themselves anymore than they would normally, drat it.

You should be thankful. In P&P the haste spell ages you 1 year.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
There's also that cowled wizard Edwin sends you to kill as part of the Mae'var quest line. He comes pre-buffed with a stoneskin I've never been able to breach or dispel. Anyone knows what's up with him?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

No. As far as I can tell Demi-Liches don't count as undead because Sunray does fuckall to them so you still need a plan for Demi-Lich Kangaxx.

I think last time I did this I double Daystarred Kangaxx Phase 1 to instantly send him into Phase 2, then slapped him with the Mace of Disruption with Improved Haste to kill him before he could imprison anybody. Something like that.

Demi-liches do count as undead, they're just immune to spell levels 1 through 9, hence immune to sunray.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Whichever stronghold you accept first. If you do De'arnise before the Unseeing Eye, decline the fighter stronghold and you should still be offered the cleric one later.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I used to sperg about inventory management and cheat in a bag of holding too until I realized it was because I was picking up almost everything. Once I started just carrying the truly valuable stuff I found out that a party of 6 has plenty enough room and stopped cheating. Best of all I still had enough money to buy everything I wanted.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Even without the XP cap and with the choice of HLAs, you still won't actually get any HLAs until a long way into ToB right? I haven't played in years and years so there's a good chance I'm wrong on this. And how much of a weakness is the inability to wear armour as a straight F/M multi?

I'm not necessarily saying that K/M dual is "better", it's just that I've forgotten a lot of the details so recommending a F/M multi seems a little strange to me

A fighter/mage multi will start getting HLAs at 3 million exp total, not separately. Only the level 9 spells won't be selectable until 6 million exp total. He can also wear any armor he wants and wear bracers or gauntlets. A kensai/mage can't do either.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
A fighter/mage cannot cast spells in anything but robes or elven chainmail in his armor slot. You can also cast if you're wearing bracers for your armor. You can still buff up and equip a full plate before combat though.

Attestant posted:

I can't really think of an armor you'd want to wear over the Robe of Vecna though, especially if you're Kensai/Mage. And AC bracers are pretty lousy anyways, when you're a dude that can tank with mirror images, stone skins, etc.

AC is still important, at least early on when enemies don't have ridiculous THAC0s so your mirror images and stoneskins last a while instead of fading rapidly because everything is autohitting you. The adventurer's mart sells fairly cheap bracers of AC 3 which is pretty good and you can combine it with a ring/cloak/amulet of protection.

I'd rather give the robe of vecna to my main spellslinger.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
A piddly helm of glory? Giving the real stuff nets you the exact same item, plus 1000 gold and 10,000 more exp. Weee. I'd rather keep the real illithium.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Azuredge is only +3 though.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Vampiric wolves will still spawn during the day, somehow. They're also undead so sleep, hold and stuff like that won't work. Damage spells will hurt them just fine, though.

Buy some +1 arrows and bullets. Have someone kite them around while the rest of the party is filling them with said magical ammunition. Easy 2000 xp even for a level 1 party.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Intelligence limiting the amount of spells per level and the max spell level you can copy has always been there. There was a bug, however, with level 9 spells where intelligence was not checked and copying was always successful. This level 9 bug has been fixed.

Intelligence is still mostly useless because of the availability of potions of genius and potions of mind focusing.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Please do not dual class on your first playthrough. It is an enormous pain in the rear end when you don't know the game very well. Play a fighter/mage multiclass instead.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

IchGestalt posted:

Good point. Thank you. I'll start on BG2 sometime soon and just read a plot synopsis of 1.

The BG2 intro tells you everything you need to know about the plot of the first game.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
How to handle mages in the stock game: recruit Keldorn, cast his dispel magic, beat mage to death.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
As a fighter/anything you can equip almost every weapon, but you can only backstab with melee weapons that a plain thief could equip. Look at the weapon's item description and it should tell you if thieves are prohibited from using it or not.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The BG2 fixpack has sped up Jaheira's romance for a long time and the EE includes the same fix. It's still real time so resting a lot won't help, though several of her events are triggered upon resting and one in particular requires sleeping under the stars and outside the city. Real time still elapses while the game is paused, so it's a good way to speed up the romance even more if you ever have to step away from the computer for a little while and leave the game running.

Sidenote: DSimpson's FAQs are really, really outdated for the technical side of the games. The gameplay stuff is still mostly right, but ignore everything tech.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It's very good.

+5 bonus on saves vs. spells
Non-Detection
Immune to Magic Missile
100% Resistance to Electricity

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Yes, the whole Harper subplot will happen whether you're romancing Jaheira or not. The romance adds more dialogue but significantly slows it down.

All romances suck. Viconia is a bitch. Aerie is a traumatized child. Jaheira is bossy and has serious issues re: her recently deceased husband. Anomen is straight out of a really bad romance novel.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Eh, spell selection depends on the character. Is it your main spell slinger or more of a utility wizard? There are spells that are great in a pinch but should never be picked by a sorcerer, like say a lot of the non-self protection (fire, acid, energy, etc.) spells. It also depends on how far you are in the game, or what game you're in. The level 1 spell sleep absolutely dominates early BG1 but is completely useless after that. Finally, I'd say it also largely depends on your style of play. Do you often make adjustments to your spellbook or not? Do you like making things explode or do you prefer to make fights easier for your party members by buffing them/debuffing the enemy? I'm not much of a fan of artillery mages most of the time so, for example, I'll often go for slow/haste at level 3 over fireball (that, and wands of fire accomplish the same thing anyway). Sorcerers are great here if you're ambivalent because, assuming a careful spell selection, they can do both things as the need arises without having to constantly adjust their spellbook.

That said here are the wizard spells I usually have at least 1 cast of memorized no matter what: magic missile, mirror image, slow, stoneskin, breach, improved haste, project image, horrid wilting, improved alacrity, summon planetar, dragon's breath.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Jaheira is the most tolerable but holy poo poo that romance is interminable. She's always in my party (good or evil) because of how stupidly useful she is but I rarely bother with the romance because I just want the Harper subplot to unfold and get her OP amulet before the heat death of the universe.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
^^^
The Jaheira romance fix was never about speed aside for making Terminsel appear within a reasonable time frame after the romance is finished (by default it was stupidly long), some event triggers were wonky and there was one in particular that would flat out break the game.

The reason it still takes so long is... there are a *lot* of events in Jaheira's romance. Anomen has 20 events. Jaheira? 38.

Comstar posted:

I just got it (standing in front of Firekriegg's dungeon is an odd place for "Elmister" to show up, after completing every single chapter 2 quest) - what's so overpowered about it?

+5 bonus to saves against spell is so awesome it cannot be overstated. Almost all of the nastiest save-or-else stuff in the game is a save vs. spell.

I often run Jaheira with a full plate and a ring of protection +2 for a cumulative AC of -1 (which is less than the -2 or -3 AC armors you find later) because saves are that much more important, and save vs. spell is the most important of all.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Just drop wisdom. Who cares about wisdom? I guess dropping charisma would be even better but sadly it isn't an option.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Well as long as we're pointing out insignificant drawbacks, then dropping constitution from 17 to 16 would make your non-warrior get fatigued slightly faster.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Paladins and rangers don't get bonus spell slots from high wisdom, it's a completely useless stat to them in Baldur's Gate. Unfortunately the minimum wisdom they're allowed to have is 13 so it's hard to use it as a dump stat. Paladins are further gimped by being required to have a minimum charisma of 17 so they don't really have a dump stat other than intelligence. If you don't like the idea of having a PC that's dumb as a rock, one-shotted by mind flayers and trapped interminably when mazed, you might go insane trying to roll 18 in strength, dexterity and constitution while keeping intelligence at 10 or whatever.

If you don't want to waste time rerolling and don't want to cheat your stats, you may consider (slightly) dropping strength. It's a very important stat but there are a lot of strength boosting potions you can drink for important battles in BG1, and in BG2 there are several strength boosting girdles. They set your strength to 19 (or more) and there's nothing better to put in that equipment slot anyway.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I'm aware of the 75 point minimum, but I thought the game *didn't* account for minimums when distributing the stats, thus skewing the total higher for characters with high minimum stat requirements.

I swear when I'm creating something like an elf ranger, I have no trouble getting totals of 88+ after a minute or two of rerolling whereas say for a human fighter my chances of getting the same are so low I don't even bother rolling anymore and just cheat.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
All paladin kits are strong and straightforward to play. Your proficiencies are fine. By the second game you'll want to have two-handed sword proficiency because paladins get the best sword in the series and it's a two hander.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You're not forced to stick with just one weapon type. I start Jaheira with the blackblood club then switch her to spears once I get the impaler.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The free action spell and potions of freedom work, but they're not really easy and convenient protection.

There are items that grant limited or full free action and all of them will protect against being held. You can also use Keldorn who is immune to hold thanks to his kit, and he can always use his dispel to free held party members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The loading screen, that thing that appears for only a split second on a modern computer, will randomly inform you about how to finish trolls off.

It's a 15 year old RPG. Back then they didn't tell you much. Absolutely nothing tells you about how liches and raksashas are immune to spell levels 1 through 5 either, which is in my opinion a far worse omission.