Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
In completely unrelated news...

I just bought BG:EE because I reaaallly couldn't be bothered going through the hassle of reinstalling TuTu. As per usual, I'm telling myself I'm going to take this character through the whole series.

So what do we think is the "canon" character class for the Bhaalspawn? I was thinking Sorcerer as the dude is meant to be inherently powerful...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pffffft. gently caress that. Bhaalspawn is now a Sorcerer.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm running through IWD with a party of 3. Monk, Sorcerer and Rogue. My theory is (Hope I'm not wrong here...) that the XP split between 3 instead of 6 should mean everybody levels twice as fast and high level Sorcerers and Monks are pretty loving powerful. I gave my Sorc a point in longsword because early on she'll need to hit things. Also IWD tends to like throwing a large number of enemies at you, so it stops her from getting mobbed and being useless.

Any suggestions?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Sleep, my man. Turns groups of enemies into stationary targets you cannot miss. Not useful later on but by that time you already have Fireball or Skulltrap or some other death spell that you don't even need to crowd control the enemies since they'll already be dead.

Yup. Working on that. Shaengarne is being a dick though because sleep doesn't work on Orc Warriors. Also, holy crap there's a lot of them.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

MegaGatts posted:

Since you're running with a monk, sorcerer, and rogue I'm assuming you're playing IWD2. Unfortunately the way the level scaling works means you'll only have a level or two advantage over a full 6 man party.

Yeah IWD2 sorry. I never played IWD1 so it's my association more than anything else ><

How does the XP work in IWD2?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So Baldur's Gate is calling me again.

What character class do you reckon the Bhaalspawn is most likely to be? I think the book plays him\her as a fighter, but the book is atrocious so we won't go there.

I was thinking Sorcerer? A kid who grows up around scholars would probably end up a big of a book nerd, but since that kid is Bhaalspawn, they're meant to have a lot of innate power. So I would figure a Sorcerer over a Wizard. However, that upbringing of being around books all the time, combined with a lot of innate power means a monk makes a fair bit of sense as well. I also don't think it'd be too hard to imagine the kid training with the guards, so a combat class like a Fighter makes sense. If the kid has been a right royal little poo poo, then I could understand being a Thief like Imoen. I didn't get the impression that Candlekeep was overtly religious, but again with the scholarly background, I could see a Cleric making sense as well.

I couldn't really imagine a Barbarian being bought up at Candlekeep. Or a Druid for that matter...

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Enjoying the talk about what class suits Bhaalspawn best :).

I don't see why people associate murder with fighter though. Horrid Wilting would be a pretty awful way to go. A Sorcerer throwing fireballs and committing mass murder fits Bhaal as well doesn't it?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you equate murder with up-close and personal killing, then I would say that Thief\Assassin would be a likely Bhaalspawn.

However if you equate murder with number of people killed, I think it'd be hard to beat a flesh-eating, fireball flinging sorcerer.

Fighter just feels so...middle-of-the-road and not-special to me. I'd assume that a Bhaalspawn who is strong enough to be a god would be something a little more interesting than a fighter?

So I reinstalled BG:EE and...

Holy poo poo. it looks atrocious. I turned off the sprite outlines, but even then they stand out and look like they're paper stuck onto a painting. The animation is jerky and not smooth either? I didn't like being zoomed out so far, so I zoomed in and...

:stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

MY GOD. WHAT HAPPENED?! It's a blurry, horrible pixellated mess! I either have to play zoomed out so that I feel like I'm on board the ISS, or zoomed in so close it resembles a seriously artifacted JPEG that has been screenshotted and re-uploaded a dozen times too many.

It never used to look like that with normal BG and the Widescreen mod! The new GUI is nice, but goddamn. I might go back to BG and TuTu with the widescreen mod.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right, so BG:EE wasn't sitting right with me. So I reinstalled BG:TuTu and Widescreen (which is now completely painless due to EasyTuTu)

Here's a screenshot comparison.

(Look at them full-screen)

Now I'm going to acknowledge straight up that I've got massive rose-coloured glasses for BG. Any slight change is something I'm going to notice and get irrationally lovely about, but BG:EE just doesn't look as good to me. The graphics don't look as sharp in general.

The big thing for me is the sprites. They don't look like they're part of the same environment and seem lower resolution. Plus the animation is really jerky on my system even though their movement is smooth.

I acknowledge 100% that the difference is very slight. Hell I'm expecting half the people here to tell me I'm crazy and that there's no difference at all (although you have to notice the sprites. Hell maybe it's just the sprites which are throwing me off). I just don't understand why it looks different at all?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

Try turning off the "sprite outline" in the graphics options.

That's with it off.

It looks worse with it on. I didn't want to be a HUGE dick about things...

I'm gonna stick with TuTu.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

insanityv2 posted:

You seriously have me wondering if my eyesight is going. Maybe its more noticeable in motion?

Make sure you're looking at it in full resolution (IE: Full screen).

It IS slight. I'm not gonna suggest it's a massive change, but it is noticable (to me). The janky animations of the sprites are the dealbreakers for me though.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

Is there anything I need to do or get before moving on to the rest of the game? Mainly I'm asking because I have the feeling I'm not properly prepared.

This is Baldur's Gate.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
This discussion came at the right time, because I'm keen to give Mage\Thief a go with the logic that I like playing Thieves...and I like playing Wizards...so I figured I'd try the combo.

I'm trying to figure out how to play them effectively though and so far I can't work it out, even though there's a lot of people online who say M\T are amongst the most broken classes. As a mage, I'd stand back and lob fireballs. As a thief, I'm more of a melee character. I figure the best way to play a M\T is to use your mage spells to become the ultimate thief, rather than using your thief abilities to become the ultimate mage.

So I assume you use buffs (EG: Improved Invisibility, Mislead etc.) to backstab like a bastard. That sounds cool, but what other spells are useful for thieves?

ALSO: I always found being stealthy in BG difficult because most of the encounters seem to be geared at slamming two parties together and seeing who comes out on top. Any tips for being stealthy?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So like dozens of you, I installed BG2 when they announced 3.

...The movement speed was killing me. So I Shadowkeepered it up to monk walking speed.

I want to play vaguely fair. Is this movement speed a game-breaking advantage? It doesn't seem to be unbalanced so far?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/tweaks/tweaks/

Download, run the exe, point it at your BG install, have the guide open in a separate window to get an indepth explanation of the options as you go (I think one of the first things it asks you is if you want to open the manual). It automatically skips over options that don't apply to your game.

It also:
"Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party ..." (Weimer) "

NO. That is the most important part of the Baldur's Gate experience. Getting Sarevok to tell you that you have to wait so you stare at the screen appreciating how much better pathfinding is today...

My party is:
- Me (Monk)
- Minsc
- Jaheira
- Yoshimo
- Viconia
- Aerie

It's been kinda funny because Jaheira, Viconia and Aerie are all trying to romance me, and all bitching at each other. If I actually had to travel with these people, Minsc and I would declare undying love for each other and we'd abandon the other 3 and let them whine it out.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Alright, I'm out of practice and wizards are killing the gently caress out of me. I forget how much of a dick those halflings in the Planar sphere are!

The way I would deal with wizards in BG1 was to fire off a Magic Missile and interrupt whatever buffs the enemy was casting. I'd keep interrupting the douche until my meat shields had eaten THEIR meat shields and then send Minsc to cut the wizard in half.

In BG2 however, the wizards have sequencers so the moment they spot you, they have 2 or 3 protections up.
Then they'll use dimension door or something else so I can't target them with Breach.
And then they'll use Chaotic Commands so I lose control of my party.
And suddenly I'm reloading.

With all that in mind.

What are some good ways to stop wizards buffing themselves to the point of not-fuckwithable, and ruining their day before they ruin mine?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The EE kinda pissed me off. Movement never quite looked right and I hate the ugly black border they put around all the characters.

BGTuTu and Widescreen Mods got me covered.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

Finally for the first time, I have managed to kick Firkraag's red, scaly, self-righteous rear end.

I could never do it as a kid. Looks like the years playing RPGs after BG has added up.

None of my characters are Paladins so Casomyr is not useful to me but gently caress YOU YOU RED gently caress. WING ATTACK ME NOW YOU LIMP BASTARD.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yo, you got any thieves, bards, or multiclass thieves? :grin:

...I like where you're going with this, but only Imoen :(

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I was hyped after killing him last night with my party, I went in for a solo attempt with my Monk.

HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. EAT MY FIST. This is one of the best things of gaming. Carrying a grudge for around 10 years, then finally managing to kill some red-headed gently caress who consistently ate you for breakfast years ago.

I was on a roll so I killed this one too. This one I actually found more difficult due to the resistances and the level drain. If the Shadow Dragon manages to get a foothold on one of your characters it's a real snowball effect of fuckery, but he can't get us all...

H13 fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 20, 2019

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Crowetron posted:

I appreciate that you made your party come all the way through the dungeon with you just to watch you punch a dragon to death single-handedly. Every good show needs an audience.

I maintained eye contact with the party to establish dominance. There was polite applause at the end.

chaosapiant posted:

Dear H13,

Why have not you gotten the Enhanced Editions? They're goooood!

Sincerely,

Concerned Fan

I bought them, but didn't like them. As I talked about earlier in the thread, something about the animations felt off, the graphics kinda looked splotchy to me and those black outlines on the sprites were awful. I know they improved them a fair bit since they came out, but the original game + widescreen mod is what feels the most like "Baldur's Gate" to me. I guess all the flaws are buried in my psyche like some weird form of Stockholm Syndrome.

That being said, I'm playing the digital copy from GOG. I'm not a purist to the point where I'll switch between 4 CDs...

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

And as people told you before it's literally in the options to revert it

Hey! I'm happy, you're happy, who cares? Go for the eyes.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know this news is terribly exciting to everybody, but I just managed to beat BG2 for the first time. First played that game about 15 years ago but the mind flayers would make mincemeat out of me. To be fair: They still kinda did and I needed to savescum that section, but I got there!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I just beat Planescape: Torment for the first time.

Jesus loving christ what a loving game.

Y'know that feeling of everything going quiet while your brain tries to process everything that just happened and you got that feeling of completion? Yeah I'm basking in that right now.

...Then I'll grab a flowchart and figure out who did what to who.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's definitely up there for me as one of the best games ever made.

The middle section in the Clerk's Ward feels more like an adventure game than it does an RPG. Aside from Undersigil, I don't think you need to do any combat between wiping out the barking dogs clan and fighting Ravel.

I think I was level 16-ish when I was in the Fortress of Regrets. I didn't stand a chance against any of those shadows. Was I underlevelled? It didn't matter 'cos I just avoided them but they were kinda dickish.

What kept my head spinning from Pharod onwards was that each time you found out about part of the story, later on the reason WHY that part happened was usually due to something TNO had done. For example, you hear all these stories about Ravel's rampages and giving people an impossible riddle, only to find out that YOU gave her that riddle and were kinda responsible for the rampages. I also love how you find out a section of the story from different people, but those sections are basically never going to be in chronological order. It gives the storytelling a sense of realism.

I think the Curst section is probably the weak point. Going to the outlands and Baator is cool, but Curst kinda felt shallow in comparison to everything else. That being said, the Trias betrayal I didn't see coming so when Curst went...well...MORE to poo poo, that was a cool scene.

My theory on what the "original" TNO did is based off that sensory stone where you're a general who wipes out an entire city because your king demanded it. Any other ideas?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
It seems foolish to ask, but how does Tides of Numenera compete?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah my character build was:

- Wis 18
- Int 17
- Cha (Whatever was left)
- Str, Con, Dex - 9

I boosted Cha up to 18 with level ups, I think I gave Wisdom a nudge or two, but then the rest was on Dex.

I saw everything. The only problem is that it's kinda easy to tell which dialogue option you should choose because it's usually the big one.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

cheesetriangles posted:

When's Neverwinter Nights 2 Enhanced Edition?

That'll happen once they finish the orc caves.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am playing Durlag's Tower for the first time.

I appreciate the intricacy of the dungeon and the overall design.

But holy gently caress. gently caress the traps in this dungeon.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I appreciate how awesome the design of these levels are.

But then they're full of absolute bullshit traps, ridiculously strong monsters and some overly obtuse puzzles. God bless those who managed to do this poo poo without a walkthrough.

If it was in BG2, this'd make much more sense, but it's such a leap in difficulty.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hahahhahaha okay gently caress this chessboard bullshit.

Hello Shadowkeeper. Yes. I would like to give everybody a wand of fire.

What the gently caress is that poo poo about?!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Prokosch posted:

There's a fair number of exploding arrows around there right?

That's how I got past that part. gently caress the chess board, fireballs, fire potions, fire wand and exploding arrows until the other side is a wasteland.

There are, but I couldn't go back for them.

Durlag's Tower is like a Kaizo Romhack of Baldur's Gate. The dungeons were made by somebody who knew what they were doing, then a dickhead laid traps, chessboards and battle horrors everywhere.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Here's the thing about durlags tower:

It's perfectly fair. An invisible thief can handle all the traps. A tank fighter can handle battle horrors, skeleton warriors, and so on.

Scrolls of protection from undead trivialize the entire 3rd floor basement.

The durlags boss cheats, but it's at least a bossfight so whatever.

The unfair thing about durlags is not the tower at all. It's what happens when you clear it. God help you if you don't know what's coming, and are playing a class that can't wear a helmet.

Okay, I'm not up to that bit. I stopped last night after the chessboard so I can't wait to see what happens next.

The poo poo bit is that unless you KNOW all those things in advance, you're going to have a very bad time. I think to enjoy Durlag's tower you need to know everything about it, including all puzzle solutions and vaguely where the traps are in order to enjoy it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
THERE WE loving GO.

Cleared the tower. Killed the Demonknight without breaking the mirror so it was 6v1.

His absolutely insanely strong fireballs killed Khalid and Jaheira. Imoen's poisoned arrow finished him off like a bitch while I ran my hasted rear end out of range to drink some potions.

What a gently caress.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Okay, I beat the Demonknight, teleported to the surface, saved and quit for the night.

I don't know what you fucks are talking about but it's doing a fine job of making me poo poo myself in paranoia.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hahahahaha okay yeah it happened.

What the gently caress was that?! Seriously, that fight is bullshit.

I bought the ring of invisibility. I had 2 scrolls of Cloudkill. I sent Dyanheir downstairs while she was invisible by herself and fumigated that basement.

Like the chessboard, I think that fight is only feasible if you cheese the gently caress out of it. I hate those fights. The internet told me that death gaze can be dispelled, but the rate he spits that poo poo out meant that my one mage couldn't keep up. Tough poo poo if he death-gazed my PC as well.

I'm playing on TuTu. I'm wondering if that's making some of this poo poo harder than usual.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've beaten BG2 on core rules before. I think that fight was harder than anything I've ever done in BG2.

A regular Tanar'ri would've been an appropriate "gently caress you" challenge at that point. To give him that death gaze bullshit was just dumb.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

Why the hell aren’t you playing the EEs? They’re phenomenal!

I don't like the graphical changes of the EE. Especially the wonky UI (not that BG has a great UI in the first place). I prefer TuTu + Widescreen.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

cheesetriangles posted:

The graphics thing makes sense to me. Something about the way they handle the backgrounds in the EE makes them less clear than tutu+widescreen. They look sorta blurry. I remember hearing it was because of the ability to zoom in and out but I've never seen it confirmed.

That's a thing. But overall just from a look\feel perspective, the EE doesn't feel right to me. I also dislike some of the new spell effects (EG: Cloud spells).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Realistically, half the reason why we all love BG so much is due to nostalgia (the other half being because the game is amazing).

I get my nostalgia kick from TuTu but not EE.