Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Since when did they take the Boots of Speed off Drizzt? And don't say he doesn't have them because he obviously moves at twice regular speed. I had to have my PC quaff an oil of speed just keep away from him while the gnolls/her arrows finished his rear end off.

EDIT:
Also what sense does it make that an Archer can't wear mithril chain mail +4 but can wear ankheg plate mail? Even a loving Thief can wear that chain.

Arcaeris fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I paid 9000 gold to a wizard to take the Knights of Solamnia in the Planar Sphere back to their home which is on another planet.

Did you at least get a Dragonlance out of it?

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

The only justification in D&D you need to kill poo poo is if you cast Know Alignment or Detect Evil and you get an evil ping - then it's slaughter time.

D&D explicitly in the 2E manual says it's not about shades of grey, it's absolute black and white. Either things are evil or they aren't. If the Shadow Thieves and Bodhi are both evil by spell, you should be able to kill them all.

It should also be a defense in D&D court, because using this logic I killed every evil character I could in both games, and the Flaming Fist/whoever did not like it at all.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

To whoever complained about not playing evil characters in BG1, you're dead on.

I'd never played an Evil character before in PnP or computer D&D, but I decided an evil Fighter/Thief was for me. Holy poo poo is it worthless. If you say evil things you don't get rewards from so many quests, but 10% of the time you might get an extra 10-50 gold. Not worth it. You can't really murder anyone or do anything because the penalties are so severe.

The story itself is even good focused. You can't decide early on to stop helping people in the mines or solving their crises and instead hunt Sarevok down like a dog. You get no benefit from killing Imoen to steal her power. You can't meet a priest of Cyric (there's at least 2) and decide to join him.

And the worst is Viconia talks poo poo every time your reputation goes up, but I had to use EEKeeper to bump my reputation to positive levels when I met her just to be able to recruit her rear end. They made it so a loving evil cleric drow won't join you if your reputation is too low.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

caleramaen posted:

The fact remains that even evil people don't want to spend time near people who might murder them.

So you're saying that an evil party as a concept shouldn't exist? Maybe for all CEs even, but the idea of several LEs grouping up for a common goal is not a weird idea at all. Or the idea of one leader (the PC) and a bunch of evil henchmen who are along for the loot.

You could just be a self-serving opportunist dick and still be D&D evil, and it will still get you a reputation of -infinity and no chance to recruit followers.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

dvl posted:

It's not because of the reputation alone. You get a reaction roll which is then modified by reputation and charisma. Some NPCs won't join if that roll is too low. Having a bit higher charisma would have probably allowed you to recruit her even with low reputation.

I understand this, but with 15 CHA there's only so much higher it can go. Another +2 at 18 wouldn't have mattered much when I had to raise reputation by like 11.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Wait so can you trick the game somehow and have a lesbian relationship with Aerie and have a baby somehow?

And how is the Hexxat romance? I've got an evil chick I'm taking from BG1 to 2.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

Factor_VIII posted:

3E did have some spells cost XP or have expensive material components (the latter was admittedly also present in 2E) as a way or regulating their use.

Every decent wizard ends up carrying a bag full of batshit and sulfur, and a whole loving backpack of tiny crystal cones.

gently caress that noise, we always removed spell components in 2E. It was just more poo poo everyone had to keep track of and constantly writing/erasing that wore out your character sheet.

VodeAndreas posted:

(Of course she's also sunburst/fireballed herself to death, but that's just what you get)

She summoned a pit fiend on us and against a level 3 party a pit fiend is pretty tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

fong posted:

Its not at all the same as just using an editor. That's like saying you might as well just cheat in +1 to each stat on your character in BG2 instead of playing through BG1 and getting the stat tomes.

You should, though? I mean, unless you love BG1, it's not nearly as good of a game as BG2.

Who's going to judge you if you do? Yourself?

EDIT:
It's pointless anyway. Rather than play through 2 whole games so you can be a "god of destruction" in the 3rd playthrough, you can do it in one playthrough with many, many builds.