Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm sometimes given to realise that the 'spell duel' aspect of BG2, the supposed system of protections, counters and counters to counters, is teaspoon shallow much of the time.

It's not complicated, but if you don't know how the various spells interact it will be very frustrating for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Shame Boy posted:

I'm very thankful these enhanced edition games have Story Mode as an option because Melissan seems like one of those fights that is very much a true test of how well you know the game system and AD&D rules and how well you can apply them to such a long encounter. Something i frankly did not have the patience for so close to the end of the game and obtaining rejecting Godhood :v:

What a hell of a ride this series has been! I can see why so many years later there are still so many fans of these old Infinity Engine games and Balders Gate in particular. I told myself i'd probably be off of the RPG kick i've been on lately but i'm already itching to go again as all kinds of different classes with different companion combinations and such.

So who were the guys in robes in the ending scene of SOA suppose to be then? Since there's only the 5 other Bhaalspawn in ToB and it seemed like that whole ending cutscene just didn't factor into the rest of the plot at all.

There's a whole city full of Bhaalspawn in ToB.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yeah that problem was entirely introduced by the Tutu/BGT/EE versions. In vanilla BG Werewolf Island wasn't nearly as difficult.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bike tory posted:

What the gently caress is a 1h longsword in these games even meant to be? A bastard sword was already specifically a sword short/light enough that it could be wielded in one hand if needed, in comparison to the longer, heavier longsword that was held in two hands. Having 1h longsword and bastard swords as two different proficiencies just makes no sense.

I don't like narrow proficiencies in general but I can see a certain logic in like, the fighting style you'd use with a katana being functionally different from a long straight sword, which would have a distinct fighting style again from something like a scimitar. Flail being distinct from mace kinda makes sense too, less so mace being distinct from club and warhammer though. But bastard swords and 1h longswords are like, the same thing.

The D&D terms for those weapons are extremely inaccurate. The Longsword in D&D is what sword experts today would call an arming sword, while the Bastard sword is what they would call a longsword. They actually get it close to right in 5e now, with the longsword being able to be wielded in one or two hands.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Jay Rust posted:

definitely not a thing in bg

Yeah, Shar-teel has a strength of 18/73 if I recall, and a female PC can have a strength of up to 18/00 unless they have some sort of modifier.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(BG 1) What's the way to kill the (named) Greater Wolfwere on Balduran's ship? It seems to be a puzzle boss of some kind, immune to all attacks, even the dagger I just found specifically for fighting lycanthropes. I just got in, got the spellbook for that ungrateful wizard prick and got out.

Okay, so the key there is to use wands of paralyzation. Still, he's tough, because it's actually highly probably that none of the characters will have proficiency with daggers or bastard swords. This is because in OG BG1, proficiences were divided into Large Swords and Small Swords, and the idea that you wouldn't have one of those in your party was unlikely.

But yeah, just use the wand, pepper him with spells, and he should EVENTUALLY go down.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

sweet geek swag posted:

Okay, so the key there is to use wands of paralyzation. Still, he's tough, because it's actually highly probably that none of the characters will have proficiency with daggers or bastard swords which the only weapons that can hurt him are classified as.. This is because in OG BG1, proficiences were divided into Large Swords and Small Swords, and the idea that you wouldn't have one of those in your party was unlikely.

But yeah, just use the wand, pepper him with spells, and he should EVENTUALLY go down.

Goddammit quote is not edit.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

zedprime posted:

If you missed the other shapeshifter weapons (Kondar, wiki says Burning Earth and Albruin but it's the first I'm hearing of those being anti shapeshifter) your choices on the island are the dagger you found and the Sword of Balduran which you need to loot and equip during the fight.

You need to give those weapons to someones with multiple attacks per round to beat out his regen. If your fighters etc. don't have dagger and bastard sword proficiencies, paralyzing him helps greatly while also just avoiding his ridiculous attacks per round and THAC0. But you should also have a pack of THAC0 reducing junk like strength and heroism and power potions to make up for the lack of proficiency that can let you hit him fast enough to wear him down.

Apparently, and I am just learning this, there are toggalable hidden properties on weapons in addition to magical and cursed, specifically silver and cold iron. A number of weapons in BG1 and 2 have these toggles. All those weapons are toggled as silver apparently.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I've played about 30 hours of BG3 and it feels like they set it a hundred years later specifically so they could pretend the earlier games don't exist. I know a couple characters from BG 1/2 will be showing up but aside from that I haven't seen much in the way of references, either direct or oblique.

Which is fine, I figure most people playing it never have and never will play the first games. But I would have liked if it cared a little more about its predecessors beyond the setting.

No, it's just when 5th edition Forgotten Realms is set. Here's a hint if you want to see references to the original games: do a Dark Urge playthrough.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bilirubin posted:

this was the right decision. Instead of killing him for look I wound up *gaining* two more reputation points from turning in quests and telling him "naw I ain't that Greywolf dude he's dead"

Now back in Beregost, and I just got the dreaded bandit camp quest :ohdear: Party is at least level 3 this time though so hopefully it will go better this time. Imoen is at 4. Oh, and speaking of her, should I multiclass her Thief/fighter seeing as I'm mostly using her for ranged rain of arrow death?

Well, this will increase her THAC0 eventually to levels she wouldn't have as a thief, but she won't have extra attacks because attacks per round on missile weapons are set for each weapon and she won't be able to wield any better bows that do more damage because of her abysmal strength score. If you aren't using her for any thief abilities (not even finding traps), then maybe okay, otherwise it isn't really worth it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The best tank is a mage tank.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Oh dang , yeah I forgot that they fixed the R/C spell list. Leaving it in as a toggle is nice attention to detail though

It does require an ini tweak though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Air Skwirl posted:

I think it's just because it works well enough there's not a ton of pressure to make a new one.

Also because everything is designed for Weidu. You can come up with a new system probably, but then 90% of the mods at least won't be using it. And can this new system and the way Weidu currently works work together without problems? If not you have wasted your time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

docbeard posted:

Hahahaha I understood most of those posts and I do not blame you one bit.

Your Sandrah Saga playthrough was definitely beneficial to the community

So long as it convinced one person not to play that mod, yes it was.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Is my understanding correct that, even with mods, it's pretty much impossible to be a Cavalier/Necromancer multiclass without writing it as a custom class from scratch?

I might have been re-reading the Locked Tomb series a bit too much lately.

Not sure, I doubt there is a mod that does that specifically, but if there is a mod that gives you a paladin/mage multiclass you could eekeeper it to Cavalier/Necromancer.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cythereal posted:

Since I'm not sure SHS even exists anymore, a few notes assuming the other goon in question doesn't change anything:

14 different epilogues (owing to an option for a class-specific choice in Valerie's ToB romance).

Romance is for female humans, elves, half-elves, and half-orcs of non-evil alignment and at least 12 reputation. Romance is rated PG-13 to R (there is a brief description of nudity in one lovetalk, your mileage may vary on how that counts), and has two tracks based on whether you befriended her in BG1 or not.

Valerie does not have any NPC-NPC romance. Imoen and Valerie almost come to blows in BG2 for obvious reasons, Aerie is completely oblivious to Valerie's flirting, and no one else has chemistry with her.

SHS does still exist, but it was down for a while last year. It is currently accessible, at least for me.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

chaosapiant posted:

Had there been any mods yet to successfully implement the Black Pits 1 and 2 into the campaign of BG1 and 2, respectively? I’ve never played them and likely never will as I don’t see the point of them being separate.

No, why you hide something deep inside a game that you can already do right from the main menu? The entire point of the black pits is that it is a tactical challenge that gates your experience and magical item possession. It's only a challenge because it knows you aren't coming in with extra levels and overpowered gear. Each fight you are at a set experience level and have a set amount of gold to spend on items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

chaosapiant posted:

I have no idea, I've never played them.

They're not that great, another reason very few people would probably not bother to do anything with them. Black Pits 1 was... very underwhelming. Not challenging at all. Black pits 2 I never finished, but it wasn't any more fun.