Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

I still think the asking why exercise is both not an argument and a healthy exercise that you should do. I'm not sure you're seeing what I'm seeing but are you not bothered that 6 days ago I brought this up and you've been unable to really say or understand why this is important to you?

Is today a therapy day btw?

I tried it multiple times. I don't feel like it right now again. I posted my motivations above.

I'm every 2 weeks I just had therapy a few days ago.

Edit wait my June budget is off. I'll repost in a min.

Here's June. I forgot to take the day care increase out of discretionary:

We'll probably get $50 of that back from daycare for watching my sister's kid, but I'm not relying on her budget-wise. I don't want to have another May with a bunch of unexpected stuff throwing off the budget and making us cut unexpectedly. If she pays $50 we'll just throw it towards debt or emergency fund depending what's going on.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Are you drinking again?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

defectivemonkey posted:

Are you drinking again?

Knyteguy posted:

Failed pretty hard on the monthly goals this month (cutting grocery costs, alcohol).
I was wondering the same thing but didn't want to ask, but hey someone else did!

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
KG, really think about your reactions right now. You've already moved to refusing to talk about the RV idea. This is part of a pattern. No one here wants to kill your joy, so to speak. I think goons have brought up a lot of things that you didn't necessarily consider and you are bummed out and just thinking, "great, another idea shot down, why even talk about it?!?" But talking about it is how we work through the issues to help you to your goals.

You say you aren't doing much with it besides paying down debt, but I feel really confident it played a part in the decisions you made at work recently.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Knyteguy posted:

I tried it multiple times. I don't feel like it right now again. I posted my motivations above.

You posted a lot of things but I'm asking for you to post one thing answering a very general question about why you'd want to do something. If you're unable to answer the question, which, honestly is fine because things like that can be hard I'll let it go....

buuuuuuuuuttttt That doesn't mean I'll stay quiet about wanting you to acknowledge that as a problem, and a big one at that too! It's really troubling when you trickle out ideas of why you'd want to do something so major and chaotic without an understanding of the real reason why.

I think you get most mad when everyone has their theories of why you want to do these things, but I think you're frustrated because you haven't been able to figure it out. Also can you go to weekly therapy?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I know when I face a tough question and think "eh, I'll think about that when I'm feeling a bit more comfortable" it ends up getting postponed for weeks. By nature difficult questions make you uncomfortable, so if you are waiting for the perfect time to think about it you'll be waiting forever.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Knyteguy posted:

May:

So $1179.55 extra towards debt in May, $1,775.32 total towards debt.

May's goals:
Budget/financial
Refill the emergency fund.
Cut grocery spending by 5%+
Cut discretionary spending through restaurants by at least 10%, put that >= $100 debt for June's payment
Personal
No alcohol
Continue no cigarettes
Stick to therapy as advised by the therapist

Going relatively small with the goals to keep them achievable. We're actually going to trying to cut the restaurant budget by quite a bit more, though all of that may not go towards debt.

Alcohol will be a tough one. We're going to my in laws' house for Mother's day in a couple of weeks, and I've broken my sobriety there twice.

edit: couple goal notes.

Knyteguy posted:

I'm done arguing about the RV stuff at this point.

Anyway here's the budget:

June:

So May's is a little more butchered than the past two months have been. The emergency fund ($501) and day care suddenly going up screwed it up. We went over $10 on home/baby, $11 on groceries. I paid $10 of the home and baby from discretionary, and that grocery overage came out of my discretionary next month.

Bike trailer + helmet for the baby was much of that shared ($200).

I'll post a finished May's budget at the end. I don't expect more non-"Immediate Obligation" expenses.

June's notable expenses: tires for the Corolla, registration/smog Corolla. Luckily the car fund has some money built up at this point. Luckily it will have ample time to rebuild.

Failed pretty hard on the monthly goals this month (cutting grocery costs, alcohol). I'll set new ones for June. That's a 50% goal rate success so far. I'll keep track.

Can you explain what is going on in the discretionary with your May budget you initially posted, and this second May budget?

I do not see any entry for a vacation budget. When do you plan on setting money aside for this?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

One tip is that "why" is best used for feelings and opinions, not facts.

I think Knyte should go on an RV trip (as long as he can reasonably budget for; I was hoping two weeks but maybe the plan was just one?) for his 30th bday.

Why [do you feel he should he do this]?

Because it's emotionally important to him (and probs his wife) to celebrate his 30th birthday, especially because they've changed their spending habits and have been struggling emotionally with spending less.

Why [is it important to fulfill this emotional need]?

Because otherwise he'll risk relapse on the whole binge/purge spending style, and because I think it'll be the best way that money can be used to increase his happiness.

Why [not use an alternative]?

Because of the pros of a budgeted RV trip vs alternatives. (The outdoors, slightly more freedom, training to see if he actually wants to go nomad, it's been a hobby of his, it sounds like he really wants to do it more than he wants to spend his vacation budget on other stuff, whatever).

Why [is this more important to him than other possible bday vacations]?

I don't know. I wouldn't do this personally, but that's because the idea of an RV trip isn't my cup of tea.

Why [should the money be spent at all]?

It's important to him and if it's in the budget, then that's what it's there for. If it's deliberately planned for and he can afford it without messing up more important long-term goals (which is what fitting in the budget means), then the money he has for "fun stuff" should be used in the way that gives him (as a household obviously) the most joy.

(Also lol remember that time last month where I was poking at my budget because I went over? Well, the jury's in and I can't fit stupid coworker impulse poo poo into my budget easily because they have expensive tastes and I plan my week without that being part of it (also I'm not gonna blow off coworkers who wanna go out once a month or two, while I am more comfortable blowing off my friends I see all the time if they don't notify me early enough) so I'm instituting an additional $100/monthly discretionary for myself for "stupid going out poo poo that people I don't hang with often tell me about last second". So that's an example of how to change your budget to adapt to shifting needs or whatever I guess.)

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Can you explain what is going on in the discretionary with your May budget you initially posted, and this second May budget?

I do not see any entry for a vacation budget. When do you plan on setting money aside for this?

Well I moved discretionary into shared that was shared. We do a lot of stuff together so I would just equal parts our discretionary into shared once we were out.

Other than that discretionary was spent as seen and taken out of for day care (something like $210-$220 unexpectedly), and that $10 in home goods.

Vacation we shouldn't need a separate category. We'll just roll over some discretionary.

Horking Delight posted:

Vacation Stuff

Well one of my motivations is that PTO is limited, since you bring up 2 weeks. I probably wouldn't be wanting to do this if we could get a month off a year for vacation or something, but in actuality with small things throughout the year we're lucky to have a whole week for something.

Re: discretionary you can get away with it. The thread would call for my head if I upped discretionary more (which obviously is unnecessary). I'm purposefully missing your point though :).

Veskit posted:

I think you get most mad when everyone has their theories of why you want to do these things, but I think you're frustrated because you haven't been able to figure it out. Also can you go to weekly therapy?

No. I'm not doing weekly therapy I'm doing what my therapist advises.

I don't get mad on the why. If I was worth a million bucks no one would give a poo poo about the why. I get mad on the when/what/how. I've mentioned I want to post an outline and a plan and "let's wait a bit so I can get that together". You know, to stop the "sky is falling again" type of deal.

I think you guys tend to overthink/overanalyze stuff sometimes. I do too and actually that's something I'm working on with my therapist. The why is loving easy and it's driving me crazy because I keep saying this: I think it would be a fun adventure. Why do I think it would be a fun adventure? That's self explanatory. It would mean seeing more of North America which is an ambition of mine, it would mean constant family time, it would mean a year off for my wife to be a full time mom to my boy, it would mean I could engage my flightiness in a relatively fiscally responsible way, and I think it would enable me to get out of my element to help me work out some of my addictive behaviors around some bad rear end nature and cultures (no I'm not saying it would fix them, that's on me).

Why do I want all of that? Because those are things I find important. Why do I find them important? Those kinds of things are emotionally fulfilling to me.

I've known all of this since the first time I thought of it. I feel like I've explained it just in a different way, but this is almost verbatim how my wife and I discussed it.

RheaConfused posted:

KG, really think about your reactions right now. You've already moved to refusing to talk about the RV idea. This is part of a pattern. No one here wants to kill your joy, so to speak. I think goons have brought up a lot of things that you didn't necessarily consider and you are bummed out and just thinking, "great, another idea shot down, why even talk about it?!?" But talking about it is how we work through the issues to help you to your goals.

You say you aren't doing much with it besides paying down debt, but I feel really confident it played a part in the decisions you made at work recently.

Because I have done much of the research here, but the thread didn't want to wait for me to post my plan.

Did the RV trip motivate me to ask for remote work instead of a raise? Yeah. Would I have gotten a raise otherwise considering we're literally laying people off? No I don't think so. I made the right move, and I didn't do it even close to solely for this RV trip. My thought has been "well this would be cool, but if it didn't work out then working remotely is still worth it."

As I said when I initially brought it up this is still relegated to a pipe dream until I can solidify the possibility of it. Is it appealing to say gently caress it, go finance a fifth wheel and a Dodge Cummins Diesel? Sure. Is that would I actually do? Not in a million years. You guys need to learn to open up to trusting me a bit more at this point. I think I've earned a little benefit of the doubt. "Budget for 3 months" and yada yada well here we are. The budget is enabling me to chase these things I want, isn't that the point?

defectivemonkey posted:

Are you drinking again?

I am/was drinking yeah. It's something I'm working through with my therapist.

Anyway I feel like I'm threading it up too much again lately. I'm going to work on being a little less available during work hours for a bit to rekindle my awesome work ethic I've had this year.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

I think you guys tend to overthink/overanalyze stuff sometimes. I do too and actually that's something I'm working on with my therapist. The why is loving easy and it's driving me crazy because I keep saying this: I think it would be a fun adventure. Why do I think it would be a fun adventure? That's self explanatory. It would mean seeing more of North America which is an ambition of mine, it would mean constant family time, it would mean a year off for my wife to be a full time mom to my boy, it would mean I could engage my flightiness in a relatively fiscally responsible way, and I think it would enable me to get out of my element to help me work out some of my addictive behaviors around some bad rear end nature and cultures (no I'm not saying it would fix them, that's on me).

Why do I want all of that? Because those are things I find important. Why do I find them important? Those kinds of things are emotionally fulfilling to me.

I've known all of this since the first time I thought of it. I feel like I've explained it just in a different way, but this is almost verbatim how my wife and I discussed it.

What fun adventures can you go on?

What things can you do to see more of North America? (would it be so hard to take 6 500 dollar trips?)

What can you do to be around your family more, or, what would it take for your wife to be able to now stay at home while you work from home? Can you price it out vs the RV?

Is therapy a way to get out of your element and deal with addictive behaviors? 12 step program? Making new sober friends?

The reason you do this why exercises is so you can break apart the big picture into smaller things, then tackle each one individually. Now you have pieces you can work with to fulfill what you're trying to do. You've made it very clear all of these things are important to you, so what can you do to make sure that you complete these important things until you can go on the RV trip.

I'm not saying don't go on the RV trip, or don't plan for it, I'm asking what's a solution you can work on so you can live in the moment the way you want to.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I really do wanna hear more about birthday trip, though. I think it's great and your birthday's in August, right? That gives you maybe two months to plan it? How early do you normally plan trips?

How are you gonna fund it/is just cutting from discretionary enough?

Don't you earmark income from your side work as discretionary? Can you funnel some of that into your vacation savings too?

You're looking at one week instead of two? Is that Friday Night -> following Saturday (giving you guys Sunday to rest after returning)?

Do you have specific stuff you're planning on seeing?

Did your wife file for the pto yet/how early does she need to file for it?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
Why did you start drinking again?

For the RV trip, theoretically your living expenses will go up, but your wife won't work? How will you afford that?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think it is a mistake to roll over from discretionary for your vacation. Estimate on the high side the cost of the planned trip, and budget specifically for it. I think you will be far more successful if you do that. Are you still not smoking? The relapse of your drinking is not good. If you really want to stay sober, you may need to look into a 12 step program or consider a professional that can do medication assisted treatment. I've read some recently on how effective treatment of alcoholism can be when combined with medication. Here is the first result on google:
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/features/fighting-alcoholism-with-medications

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Let me get back to you Veskit and Horking it just got suddenly busy. My $75/mo client needs a server upgrade by Saturday. Hey thanks for the notice xcart about discontinuing TLS 1.0 support 5 days from the deadline that happens to be the first weekend day of a holiday.

Man it's hardly worth the $40/mo.

RheaConfused posted:

Why did you start drinking again?

For the RV trip, theoretically your living expenses will go up, but your wife won't work? How will you afford that?

Family pressure. I get a lot of pressure from mine and my wife's family to drink with them.

RV: also later I don't have time to look into everything.

n8r posted:

I think it is a mistake to roll over from discretionary for your vacation. Estimate on the high side the cost of the planned trip, and budget specifically for it. I think you will be far more successful if you do that. Are you still not smoking? The relapse of your drinking is not good. If you really want to stay sober, you may need to look into a 12 step program or consider a professional that can do medication assisted treatment. I've read some recently on how effective treatment of alcoholism can be when combined with medication. Here is the first result on google:
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/features/fighting-alcoholism-with-medications

Naltrexone
Naltrexone helps to both reduce the pleasure that alcoholics receive from drinking and the cravings that compel them to seek out more alcohol. It does so by blocking receptors (docking sites) in the brain for endorphins, proteins produced by the body that help to elevate mood. The same receptors also accept narcotics such as morphine and heroin. The drug can be taken as a once-daily pill or in a recently approved once-monthly injectable form.

"Naltrexone sort of gets at the core of what addiction is," Volpicelli says. "The way I like to describe it is that addiction is a condition in which when you do something, you want to do more and more of it. So when people have one or two drinks, instead of stopping after a few drinks they want to have three, four, five, 10 drinks. What we found is that naltrexone breaks that positive feedback loop, so that people can have one or two drinks and they don't feel like having any more."

That sounds cool. I'd hella be down for something that allows me to enjoy a few beers. If NA beers weren't so limited in selection (Kwautalheizen or whatever the hell, O'Douls, and St Pauly NA is about it) then I'd probably never worry about having a drink again. I like a buzz but I get drunk so easily. I don't like being drunk even when I'm drinking.

Every so often though, generally when partying, I will get like that Naltrexone says. I just hit a point where I want to keep downing beers and I don't even remember it. Christmas Eve was the last time I did that.

I'll give it some thought on the vaca I need to sit down and look at what we actually want to do first (ie where to go, can we even do a full week (my wife doesn't have much PTO), etc.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 25, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Please no drug chat about taking drugs a doctor hasn't prescribed yet. You're in psychiatry territory now so if you really are considering this please schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist. These aren't Tylenol they have the possibility of serious side effects and should be monitored heavily with both personal and professional supervision.

They're serious side effects too, you could very well kill yourself because of the drug.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 25, 2016

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
Have you been honest with your family about not drinking and why? If so, and they are still pressuring you, that's not a healthy relationship to be in and you shouldn't spend time with them. Your life and your family are more important.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Young children need stability and consistency.

Also people who pressure you to drink are shits.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Tamarillo posted:

Serious question, how do you expect to work full time in a wheeled box that you share with another adult and a small child? Are you going to tell her to take him away for hours long stretches every day? Is he magically going to make no noise? Are you going to set up in a place like a library to do your work away from them? In a job where you need to concentrate on detailed stuff, how is having a cherubic noisemaker effectively living in your office going to result in a good time for anyone?

I know you don't want to talk RV stuff but please consider this point and come up with a strategy for if you go through with this. I don't think you've thought the mechanics of how you would actually work in this situation, or if you have its been with super thick rose tinted glasses.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Tamarillo posted:

I know you don't want to talk RV stuff but please consider this point and come up with a strategy for if you go through with this. I don't think you've thought the mechanics of how you would actually work in this situation, or if you have its been with super thick rose tinted glasses.

seconding

working with a toddler around is impossible

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Knyteguy posted:

That sounds cool. I'd hella be down for something that allows me to enjoy a few beers. If NA beers weren't so limited in selection (Kwautalheizen or whatever the hell, O'Douls, and St Pauly NA is about it) then I'd probably never worry about having a drink again. I like a buzz but I get drunk so easily. I don't like being drunk even when I'm drinking.

Every so often though, generally when partying, I will get like that Naltrexone says. I just hit a point where I want to keep downing beers and I don't even remember it. Christmas Eve was the last time I did that.

I take naltrexone, and there's a bit more of a catch than that for most users: without the endorphin buzz, it turns out that most alcohol does not actually taste good. I now very rarely drink margaritas and specialty cocktails--I still enjoy them, so I try not to have them often enough to lose the taste for them--and occasionally I'll have a beer on a date but leave it half-full. Nothing most nights since it just makes the evening less pleasant.

It's a relief to be able to acknowledge that you have a drinking problem and have a plan to address it without saying "I can never have a drink again"--that prospect scares a lot of people out of even taking the first step. But medication-based management of alcohol addiction doesn't often lead to a situation where you can enjoy normal moderate drinking. It's likelier to produce the same outcome as rehab/AA, except with no cravings to manage and a far lower likelihood of relapse.

If you've got a drinking problem, I wholeheartedly recommend naltrexone. Just don't go into it thinking that it's a magic bullet that eliminates the excess but leaves your habits otherwise unchanged.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Quantum Finger posted:

working with a kid under 12 around is impossible

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I think it would be more difficult to work with a kid around when they're a little older. I've worked remotely when my son was sick, and managed to be productive. He was an infant, so I'm not sure how that would change things now.

What I was initially thinking was just going in the room, closing the door, and using noise cancelling headphones.

Here's a couple that does it with a toddler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2lM6Wr9PbI

I actually found that video by accident looking at YouTube for something unrelated; this guy wakes up early and does work that way.

I'll have to read up more on them when I'm off work.

Some relevant articles for me to reference later if nothing else:
Working out on the road: http://lessjunkmorejourney.com/working-out-on-the-road/
BFC approved post: http://lessjunkmorejourney.com/can-i-live-with-less-and-still-be-happy/
Family: http://lessjunkmorejourney.com/what-if-i-miss-my-family/

I still have some replies to get to, but I'm kind of in the middle of something. I'll head back up to Veskit's questions and reply from there sometime today.

Edit: and I'm not saying I would do it like this guy. He seems to have more freedom with his scheduling. I'm only posting an example.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 26, 2016

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

When would you start doing this? A year, two years? I don't really see how you can afford to have your wife not work until your debt is paid off and you make more money at some other job. It's fun to plan, but realistically, this can't happen for several years.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Kg, you should come for an RV trip to Portland and donate your workout equipment to me! I need weights and you need an RV trip, win-win!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Aren't you a person with lots of things? You also buy lots of new things, most recently a bike rack and trailer hitch. You should try living with the amount of things you could fit on an RV, I bet you won't be happy about it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

What fun adventures can you go on?

What things can you do to see more of North America? (would it be so hard to take 6 500 dollar trips?)

What can you do to be around your family more, or, what would it take for your wife to be able to now stay at home while you work from home? Can you price it out vs the RV?

Is therapy a way to get out of your element and deal with addictive behaviors? 12 step program? Making new sober friends?

The reason you do this why exercises is so you can break apart the big picture into smaller things, then tackle each one individually. Now you have pieces you can work with to fulfill what you're trying to do. You've made it very clear all of these things are important to you, so what can you do to make sure that you complete these important things until you can go on the RV trip.

I'm not saying don't go on the RV trip, or don't plan for it, I'm asking what's a solution you can work on so you can live in the moment the way you want to.

Adventures: well birthday is a good one.

North America: not much. Time constrained. A $500 trip won't get me far. 3 $1000 trips won't even get me far. I'm fine with seeing more of what's around locally though for the moment.

I can price it out but not yet.

No I wouldn't say out of my element per se. It will help though.

Let me know what you're getting at first next time and I'll be more willing to play along.

Horking Delight posted:

I really do wanna hear more about birthday trip, though. I think it's great and your birthday's in August, right? That gives you maybe two months to plan it? How early do you normally plan trips?

How are you gonna fund it/is just cutting from discretionary enough?

Don't you earmark income from your side work as discretionary? Can you funnel some of that into your vacation savings too?

You're looking at one week instead of two? Is that Friday Night -> following Saturday (giving you guys Sunday to rest after returning)?

Do you have specific stuff you're planning on seeing?

Did your wife file for the pto yet/how early does she need to file for it?

Just cutting from discretionary is all we can do. I'm not willing to compromise on the getting out of debt, or at least adding to the emergency fund what we have, which I already consider slow.

No on the earmark. That goes towards debt, and it's not much anyway.

Hopefully a full work week Friday -> Saturday. But it depends on my wife's PTO. She'll have exactly 40 hours by August, leaving her with nothing in case she needs it.

Not yet.

A month should be plenty. They're not too strict there. Probably a month for me also. She hasn't filed we're still working out how much she can take.

RheaConfused posted:

They could go up. The more you move around the more expensive it is. If we planned super carefully how much we travel, when we travel, and where we travel, it should be doable.

RheaConfused posted:

Have you been honest with your family about not drinking and why? If so, and they are still pressuring you, that's not a healthy relationship to be in and you shouldn't spend time with them. Your life and your family are more important.

They know what's up. I almost killed myself drunk driving. They just don't want to look at their own drinking as a problem. Sobriety makes some people really uncomfortable.

Inept posted:

When would you start doing this? A year, two years? I don't really see how you can afford to have your wife not work until your debt is paid off and you make more money at some other job. It's fun to plan, but realistically, this can't happen for several years.

Not sure. Gotta get together an outline of everything, and we're going to Sacramento this weekend for the holiday. I can't really give a better answer than that at the moment.

SiGmA_X posted:

Kg, you should come for an RV trip to Portland and donate your workout equipment to me! I need weights and you need an RV trip, win-win!

Pay for the RV rental up there! :D

Weights aren't that expensive man for just Standard oly plates if you shop around. I remember someone mentioned wanting a squat rack... even that's not over the top. If I were in better shape again I would just buy a pull-up bar personally. I got pretty loving ripped doing pull-ups constantly, and weighted sit-ups/core exercises. Definitely easier to already be fit and do that though.

I'd love to revisit Portland sometime though. My best friend and I took a trip up there and got scammed by some dude right off the bus. He offered to show us around, and we walked around for like 3 hours before he asked if we wanted weed. It was only $20 and I think he was homeless. Then we saw some lady asking a cop "piggy want some gum?" right as he was walking by right near the river downtown. Then we bought weed at some park near downtown like it was nothing. Funny stuff I actually almost got an apartment there during that trip I liked it so much. To be 19 with no responsibilities again.

n8r posted:

Aren't you a person with lots of things? You also buy lots of new things, most recently a bike rack and trailer hitch. You should try living with the amount of things you could fit on an RV, I bet you won't be happy about it.

Not really. Most of our stuff is furniture, kitchen stuff, and home/garden stuff. We could downsize quite a bit. In fact I kind of already have considering I just sold a ton of stuff, and my wife has been giving away baby gear we no longer need.

Besides like clothes and stuff necessary to keep the house going, I can't really think of much tangible goods I've purchased in awhile actually. Last thing on Amazon was March 12th a comic book, March 16th a haircut kit (already paid for itself), a Roku in March that we would bring with us if we did this...

That's as far back as I can go with YNAB since we redid the budget in March. I'm sure it's slightly more than that, but yeah I haven't been buying much physical goods.

e: Oh and the bike trailer for the baby, but we'd bring that with us also.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Let me know what you're getting at first next time and I'll be more willing to play along.

Sure thing knyte, next time.

Next time.

Night Witch
Jul 20, 2015

Katya, my dear, we will live long.
Since you're interested in RVs, you might want to look into transporting RVs. Sometimes RV companies need them driven to other locations and will give you a discount on the RV rental. The only problem is that you'd need to find your own transportation for the trip home or the trip to the RV. It could be a cheaper way of trying out the RV lifestyle. https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv-rentals/rv-rental-4/

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Holy hell I just checked this thread for the first time in ages and this RV stuff is incredible. KG you've basically become a parody of yourself at this point.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I mean, it's a lot of laughs for me but you should probably stop.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Sure thing knyte, next time.

Next time.

Man say what you mean instead of this stuff.

Night Witch posted:

Since you're interested in RVs, you might want to look into transporting RVs. Sometimes RV companies need them driven to other locations and will give you a discount on the RV rental. The only problem is that you'd need to find your own transportation for the trip home or the trip to the RV. It could be a cheaper way of trying out the RV lifestyle. https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv-rentals/rv-rental-4/

Huh this would be interesting for the birthday trip if we could manage it.

But holy poo poo those rates are nuts for normal rentals. We can't rent an RV for this trip if it's that expensive.

Worst case scenario my mom and step dad have a pop-out tent trailer. Maybe I could borrow that to keep it cheaper. I'm not sure what condition it's in though.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

leftist heap posted:

I mean, it's a lot of laughs for me but you should probably stop.

Dude I have an awesome life. I don't really give a poo poo what you think about me.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You are just now looking at RV rental rates? You are planning on paying for this trip from leftover discretionary (which there hasn't been much of most months). It really sounds like you are setting yourself up for a major spending mistake.

If you had done the least bit of research (which I did when I was considering one of these trips last year), you will find that the rates vary wildly depending on the time of year. In mid-October you can get 'offseason' rates, a week rental from the Vegas location will run ~$350 for a 'standard' RV. There is also a mileage fee of $245 for 700 miles. Combine that with RV camping fees, fuel, and park entry fees, expect to spend $1k without purchasing food. This is for a trip where the weather could be pretty crummy.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

You are just now looking at RV rental rates? You are planning on paying for this trip from leftover discretionary (which there hasn't been much of most months). It really sounds like you are setting yourself up for a major spending mistake.

If you had done the least bit of research (which I did when I was considering one of these trips last year), you will find that the rates vary wildly depending on the time of year. In mid-October you can get 'offseason' rates, a week rental from the Vegas location will run ~$350 for a 'standard' RV. There is also a mileage fee of $245 for 700 miles. Combine that with RV camping fees, fuel, and park entry fees, expect to spend $1k without purchasing food. This is for a trip where the weather could be pretty crummy.

I looked. Remember I mentioned Burning Man rates being extortionate.

Probably out of the question then for now. We can do an RV trip later for fun. I'm not going to be upset if my birthday isn't "perfect"; I'd just like to do something.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Wait, are you saying you decided to go on a trip before having a ballpark idea of how much it would cost? And then picked a number for your budget?

Well, I guess that explains a lot.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Why do you need the trip to be on your birthday? Can't it be later in the month or the next month? I mean, it loses some immediacy that way but it seems better to do it than to say "well, didn't work out this time so I won't do it". It seemed like you acknowledged when you were out walking with your wife that denying yourself things you want completely leads you to think things like "once we're out of debt we should move into an RV and explore the country for a year".

Having a separate vacation budget would probably be good for you. I just went on a 2-week trip to the other side of the country and everything fit into my vacation budget so I got to enjoy it rather than worry about what else I could have done with the money. Plus, if you get antsy and decide you want to go on a trip you can say "I have $500 in the budget. We could save up some more or do an overnight trip to (something a reasonable distance from Reno)".

ITM
Oct 23, 2010
If you want to do something for your birthday, make a budget line for it. Isn't that literally rule one of YNAB? Give every dollar a job, those jobs are your priorities. Assigning all your dollars to "blow money" and going "well if I don't use it all it can be vacation money" or "an undisclosed amount of this money is vacation money" is, I'm sorry, loving stupid. Budget for whatever it is you want to do. RV trip, PC poo poo, fancy dinner, whatever, make a birthday budget line.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

defectivemonkey posted:

Having a separate vacation budget would probably be good for you.

This!

I have issues with impulsive/boredom spending at times but maintaining a separate line in my budget for vacation spending has helped me put (and keep) money away.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Check-in time! How's it going? How's the mood panda? How's the budget? How's the vacation saving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

Check-in time! How's it going? How's the mood panda? How's the budget? How's the vacation saving?

After this therapy time I've done some reflection, and I've decided that I'm going to be taking a break from the thread/BFC for an indeterminate amount of time (2-3 months probably). I need to take a bit of a break while I work through some anxiety issues that have begun to manifest physically into a legitimate medical issue, and I kind of need to deal with it now so things don't get worse.

Other than the anxiety stuff, things are going relatively well. I'll fill you guys in again when I come back, and it should be a positive update.

Just thought I'd let you know so everyone doesn't think I'm dead or my wife is pregnant again or something. This will legitimately be my last post in here for awhile. Hope to talk you guys soon when I'm in a healthier place via therapy and other things. Thank you for the help so far.

• Locked thread