Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kilty Monroe posted:

I say go for it, that's a 57% return on your "investment". It frees up the credit card to be used as springy debt as well so it doesn't hit your ability to withstand an emergency as much, assuming they don't close your account once you pay it off.

If they are offering to knock $500+ off his balance for a full payment he is at the collections phase of this credit card's lifespan and will not be getting any further credit from them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

E: and ticket cost lawls. $400 for a 11-20 over? That's nutty. My last 11-20 over was $140ish...

Gotta love Bay Area California. We also don't get free bags at grocery stores (they cost $.05) as people voted that into being a law.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Me in Reverse posted:

If they are offering to knock $500+ off his balance for a full payment he is at the collections phase of this credit card's lifespan and will not be getting any further credit from them...

It was this exactly. They're just Wells Fargo collecting on behalf of Wells Fargo. Any input on whether we should let it say "settled" and save $600 or just pay it in full for "balance paid in full" or just let it be sold to an outside firm and forget it for now? I'm irritated that they tried to trick my wife saying it would be balance paid in full no matter what, or whatever. She had to call back to clarify after she told me the whole situation.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Me in Reverse posted:

Yeah, I didn't think that one through. My bad.

Knyteguy posted:

It was this exactly. They're just Wells Fargo collecting on behalf of Wells Fargo. Any input on whether we should let it say "settled" and save $600 or just pay it in full for "balance paid in full" or just let it be sold to an outside firm and forget it for now? I'm irritated that they tried to trick my wife saying it would be balance paid in full no matter what, or whatever. She had to call back to clarify after she told me the whole situation.

The damage to your credit report has likely been done already. If it's already been marked as a charge-off, and it almost certainly has, then "settled" isn't really going to hurt much more, and "paid in full" isn't going to rescue it.

edit: Letting it go to an actual collections agency would make it worse, however.

Kilty Monroe fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 7, 2013

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Ask if you pay in full if they will do a deletion. If they agree get it in writing before you do it. As far as settled versus paid in full I would just go for settled. Like Kilty Monroe said the difference between the two is likely going to mean very little.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Alright they said they were open tomorrow so we will call them to see what's up - whether they'll do a pay for deletion type of deal.

My wife's making bread for sandwhiches for the next two weeks, so that'll save us like $6-7. :)

I'm going to update the budget a few posts back to reflect our new plan. We've ended up sinking a lot more into the emergency fund so we're over $1k, and I'm putting off the car repairs until our next pay period because we're in a cold snap and I'm not changing break pads until it warms up a bit. It's supposed to be -3 degrees F tomorrow night. gently caress that. :colbert:

E: Budget updated: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586966&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post422823225

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 7, 2013

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Good job on the emergency fund. That will really help you break the cycle. Don't forget your up-to-date debt picture after you talk to the bank.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 7, 2013

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
Getting a pay-for-delete agreement from an original creditor like Wells Fargo is pretty much impossible. Pay-for-delete isn't illegal, but the credit bureaus don't like it because their job is to give an accurate representation of the risk to creditors in lending to you, and when tradelines get swept under the rug like that then it compromises the validity of their report. Creditors are supposed to report all credit information to them honestly, and while getting some scumbag third-party debt collector to agree to it is one thing, you've got about a snowball's chance in hell of getting Wells Fargo to go against their relationship with the credit bureaus for you over less than six hundred bucks.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised if you hear laughter on the other end.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
So we went and financed a new 60" television from Best Buy today. They told us there was interest free financing for two years on any purchase $1,000 and over, so we figured it was like free money and said screw it. We really needed a second television for the Playstation 4.

No, I'm just playing of course. We actually took some of our spending money, some of our "stuff we missed" money, and some of our grocery money and we bought a used 5 or 6 ft^3 chest freezer. Thanks to a couple posters in GothMog's thread we found a frugal eating thread. We took some ideas from there and bought 5 lbs of beans, a bunch of spices (extremely cheap! $0.99 for a pack of each spice), and some fresh organic vegetables and fruit amongst a few other things. We bought two whole chickens that we'll use for meat and stock, bacon ends and pieces for good fat, etc. Our two week grocery budget was $73.00, and we're hoping it actually lasts longer than that.

Total price of groceries: $73
Chest Freezer (after tax): $134

We're only $4.00 over our original budget of $200, and if we can make this amount work then we'll $130 every two weeks on groceries now!

Here's some pictures we wanted to share:

Fake edit:
In case anyone was wondering why we didn't just put stuff in our normal freezer, it's because we share it with my sister and her kids, and we have literally zero room in there ever. It's been a long time coming. We need to be able to freeze our food as individual portions, as well as keep things like whole chickens we find on sale in there, etc (I'm sure you guys know). It also comes with a 90-day warranty :).

Thanks for the replies, I'll post the new graphs soon.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Knyteguy posted:

So we went and financed a new 60" television from Best Buy today. They told us there was interest free financing for two years on any purchase $1,000 and over, so we figured it was like free money and said screw it. We really needed a second television for the Playstation 4.

This is a joke, right?
You got beat up so badly in the thread for buying a PS4, and you bought a $1,000+ TV to match it while you are $30k in debt and have credit card accounts going to collections?
:ughh:

Dude, you're poor.
You used to be broke, when you were a student. Broke is a status. Poor is a lifestyle.
Poor people can never out-earn their spending. And saying we NEEDED a second television for my new PS4 is like, beyond pathetic.
How many weeks of making homemade bread and putting stuff in the chest freezer will it take to pay for that $1000+ impulse purchase?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

canyoneer posted:

This is a joke, right?
You got beat up so badly in the thread for buying a PS4, and you bought a $1,000+ TV to match it while you are $30k in debt and have credit card accounts going to collections?
:ughh:

Dude, you're poor.
You used to be broke, when you were a student. Broke is a status. Poor is a lifestyle.
Poor people can never out-earn their spending. And saying we NEEDED a second television for my new PS4 is like, beyond pathetic.
How many weeks of making homemade bread and putting stuff in the chest freezer will it take to pay for that $1000+ impulse purchase?
Perhaps you should try reading the first sentence of the next paragraph.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

No, I'm just playing of course.

Dammit, you really had me for a minute here.

Regarding the chest freezer:

You have to be careful with things where you spend now to save later, when what you really need is to save now. But you've done it while staying within your original grocery budget (or close enough) so... good job.

It might be tough at first transitioning to your new frugal diet. You've already spent your grocery budget, so really do your best to tough it out for these first two weeks. It'll get easier as it goes. If after these two weeks it feels like something you can really commit to, this can be a really good step forward for you.

pomme
May 8, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

You totally got me. I've been creeping this thread daily. Today I'm sitting with my cereal, reading away. Above literally made my jaw fall open, mid-chew. Good one!

Fake edit: I just wanted to suggest a recipe for something called "taco soup." I see you bought beans, and it is a really cheap way to have a filling, cheap meal that is also really delicious. Just google it, and put whatever crap in it you want. If I may, I suggest canned olives and jalapeņos. Great crockpot dish.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

pomme posted:

Fake edit: I just wanted to suggest a recipe for something called "taco soup." I see you bought beans, and it is a really cheap way to have a filling, cheap meal that is also really delicious. Just google it, and put whatever crap in it you want. If I may, I suggest canned olives and jalapeņos. Great crockpot dish.
Barf. Take a pork shoulder, salt it, put it in your own at 225 degrees before you go to work, eat it when you get home.

Make some vegetables if you want.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Make chili. Cheap, freezes well, some wiggle room with putting different meats in, lets you use up those beans too. (Just be careful who you tell about the beans, because chili people get very defensive about what counts as a proper chili recipe :v:)

There are also plenty of sites like this one that have shitloads of crock pot recipies in them. Make stuff, eat, refrigerate a day or two of leftovers, freeze the rest.

pomme
May 8, 2013

No Wave posted:

Barf. Take a pork shoulder, salt it, put it in your own at 225 degrees before you go to work, eat it when you get home.

Make some vegetables if you want.

You're crazy. Who doesn't like tacos?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

pomme posted:

Tacos != taco soup. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/taco-soup-recipe/index.html

Given the choice, I'd much rather have chili. It seems to be basically the same thing anyway, except this one you add a packet of ranch dressing mix for some reason.

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
Your electric bill will go up because of the freezer. It won't be a huge increase - probably a few bucks a month - and if you really do use the freezer and get all efficient with the leftovers and batch cooking and sale buying you will more than make up for it, but just be prepared. How much will depend on your provider, but a large chest freezer might be an additional $60/year to run.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

pomme posted:

No reason to put olives in your Mexican food...

Slow-cookering's probably best for beef, but beef's a little more expensive so pork is runner-up, I find chicken nasty in the slow-cooker... Myself I choose to pressure-cook.

Having a giant boneless cooked pork roast in the fridge and a bunch of vegetables pre-cooked hanging around you can just slice and serve the pork and microwave your plate. Beans optional.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 9, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Never you mind posted:

Your electric bill will go up because of the freezer. It won't be a huge increase - probably a few bucks a month - and if you really do use the freezer and get all efficient with the leftovers and batch cooking and sale buying you will more than make up for it, but just be prepared. How much will depend on your provider, but a large chest freezer might be an additional $60/year to run.

Yeah it'll go up a little. Probably not that much though. I have a 3-year old energy star chest freezer and supposedly it costs $26 per year to run. That's what the manufacturer says anyway. So 2-3 bucks a month.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Knyte - do NOT give me a heart attack! Until I got to the second paragraph, my thoughts were: "oh god he is EXACTLY Zaurg".

Chest freezer sounds cool if you use it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hah didn't mean to really upset anyone :). So far so good with the new groceries. I feel better nourished than when we spend more than twice as much, and it still tastes really great. We've got another lb of beans soaking right now that we'll spice differently. When we add those leftovers from the freezer along with what we already have we'll have about a week worth of food when combined with the chicken and rice. This will go well I think.

Also thanks for the food ideas, we're always looking for good recipes, and now we're looking for fiscally responsible recipes so we'll have to give these a try.

Not much to update besides that, except that it's pretty cool still having the value of almost my entire paycheck left in the bank after a weekend, and after rent pulled out as well. I'll post the graphs when I stop being lazy about it.

E:

wintermuteCF posted:

Chest freezer sounds cool if you use it.

Almost positive we will. We've been cooking in bulk but can't always eat everything in time, so we've had to throw out what should've been good food.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 9, 2013

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Pyrex storage containers ftw!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Knyteguy posted:

Also thanks for the food ideas, we're always looking for good recipes, and now we're looking for fiscally responsible recipes so we'll have to give these a try.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/ is amazing.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

Hah didn't mean to really upset anyone :).
I'm just glad I wasn't the only one ready to strangle you.

Knyteguy posted:

Not much to update besides that, except that it's pretty cool still having the value of almost my entire paycheck left in the bank after a weekend, and after rent pulled out as well.
Awesome! Just think how good it will feel to have an entire month's worth of paychecks waiting for you to budget the following month. It's a really great feeling, and that's what happens when you spend to a budget instead of to the account balance. Great job!

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Knyteguy posted:

Definitely check out your local library. Slow cooker books and books on bulk budget "family" cooking always make up the lion's share of a public library recipe collection.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Thanks will check out the resources mentioned above.

I'm absolutely wiped out, but here's the graphs I said I'd post:

We're going to start saving some money towards my wife getting her real estate license. We were looking at the MMM post about 50 jobs that pay over $50,000, and that's listed there. MMM's wife is also a real estate agent so we figure it could be a good move.

If she joins a brokerage she will probably make a conservative $25k to start (which is more than she makes now), and after that well it's hard to estimate. I think she plans to keep her job and do this on the side - at least at first.

Cost is ~$500 for the license and stuff, so I'm not sure when and where we'll start saving, but a good goal would probably be March or so. She's 25, works 36 hours a week, makes $11 an hour, has been with her company for 8 years, it's retail, and she has a college degree. I mean it seems like a no-brainer to switch fields to something that will pay more.

What does everyone think?

Quick Edit:
There's also potential for something like her being a commercial property manager which pays a steady salary, but generally requires a license.

Edit 2 (dammit): Updated the asset graph so it didn't dramatically jump between November and now, just because I actually added the value of our cars to our net worth.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 12, 2013

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Mister moneystache is a horse's rear end. The median salary for real estate agents is $40,000, and most make less than $50k in your area. Is she actually interested in the work? I'm pretty sure you need a good people face, some good hustle - is that her? If she has hustle, why hasn't she hustled her way further up the retail management ladder after 8 years? As you two are considering it, realize: the actual cost is not $500. The actual cost is $500, plus whatever she gives up of her current hours so she has time to work on real estate, plus possibly years of making less than now while training on the job, plus the risk that she'll realize she hates real estate after she quits her current position.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

slap me silly posted:

Mister moneystache is a horse's rear end. The median salary for real estate agents is $40,000, and most make less than $50k in your area. Is she actually interested in the work? I'm pretty sure you need a good people face, some good hustle - is that her? If she has hustle, why hasn't she hustled her way further up the retail management ladder after 8 years? As you two are considering it, realize: the actual cost is not $500. The actual cost is $500, plus whatever she gives up of her current hours so she has time to work on real estate, plus possibly years of making less than now while training on the job, plus the risk that she'll realize she hates real estate after she quits her current position.

Well she makes like $19,000 gross now without benefits (maybe she'll get lucky and get a week of paid vacation every couple years), so even at $40k she's still doubling her salary. She's at the highest management spot she can possibly get to at her current store, and corporate thinks she needs more experience. She's considered the marketing manager, so she sends out email blasts, makes stuff come up on the sign outside telling people the specials, does store radio recordings, counts and reconciles the money, draws up the cash bank deposit, etc. And she only makes $11/hr, and her boss straight up told her she doesn't believe in raises (despite being a very nice person). She's on a path to possibly franchising one of their grocery stores some day according to big wigs like the company CEO/VP and stuff, and she has all the right connections, but it's just tough.

I'll have to talk to her about the whole hustle part though. One strength she'd have is that I can make her a really nice website that's all SEO optimized or whatever. That would cut out a ton of the work of actually finding clients. I could make a bulk MLS parser which kept listings up to date, and personalize the gently caress out of it with her name as the brand. I have a lot of experience with eCommerce, and it's pretty much just eCommerce. If she just did showings on her days off (Friday, Saturday) she wouldn't have to actually sacrifice hours or anything.

Oh and again there is the property manager idea, which we just saw a posting for on Craigslist for around $50k.

Anyway it's just an idea, she's really tired of her job and she is beating herself up over working there for so long with so little advancement. She's been itching to switch jobs since we got together 4 years ago.

Just to clarify: we're not going to spend any money or do anything stupid yet. Our number one goal beyond my wife switching jobs is to stick to our plan: saving a 3 month emergency fund, paying down debt, and then saving for a house.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah, throwing yourself into a whole new line of work on nothing more than a salary estimate rarely ends well. She can do some more research in the meantime, and then after all your debt is paid off she can try to break in to it if she's still interested.

It seems like much of your approach to getting on top of your finances is "what can I buy that will help us make/save more money in the long run?" That's not a saving perspective, that's an investment perspective, and you are not in a place to be making risky investments that may not turn out. I know people that have thought the same way that ended up doing stuff like filling their homes with craftmaking poo poo trying to sell things on Etsy and ended up digging themselves far deeper than they ever made off of it.

The keys to getting your finances back under control are finding happiness within a frugal lifestyle, developing a healthy cynicism of consumer culture, and time. Nothing more.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Anyway it's just an idea, she's really tired of her job and she is beating herself up over working there for so long with so little advancement. She's been itching to switch jobs since we got together 4 years ago.

Has she tried working for a competitor? With the amount of experience she has she should be able to get something somewhere. Also, any boss who says they don't believe in raises is in fact a lovely person.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Has she explored leveraging her current experience and degree into a another position that might pay more? I'd imagine with all of the work she has at her current job she would be able to find someone willing to hire her to do some of those things for more than $11/hr. I'd try that before going into real estate. I know the job market in Nevada is tough but you guys seem to be too content with your current jobs. It sounds like you didn't even kick the tires before turning down several job opportunities that might have doubled your income.

quote:

I mean Amazon's recruiters have invited me twice to expense paid interviews in Vegas and stuff, and two other firms found me on LinkedIn that would mean probably a six figure income (extremely in demand stuff)

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Well she makes like $19,000 gross now without benefits (maybe she'll get lucky and get a week of paid vacation every couple years), so even at $40k she's still doubling her salary. She's at the highest management spot she can possibly get to at her current store, and corporate thinks she needs more experience. She's considered the marketing manager, so she sends out email blasts, makes stuff come up on the sign outside telling people the specials, does store radio recordings, counts and reconciles the money, draws up the cash bank deposit, etc. And she only makes $11/hr, and her boss straight up told her she doesn't believe in raises (despite being a very nice person). She's on a path to possibly franchising one of their grocery stores some day according to big wigs like the company CEO/VP and stuff, and she has all the right connections, but it's just tough.

Just as a comparison, my wife is a store manager for a national pharmacy and makes $43k a year, most of the new managers make between $35k and $40k. . If they're not giving her raises for that kind of work, she could hit up a big chain grocery store and probably get a much better salary and benefits with little to no hassle if she actually wants to do management.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Knyteguy posted:

Well she makes like $19,000 gross now without benefits (maybe she'll get lucky and get a week of paid vacation every couple years), so even at $40k she's still doubling her salary. She's at the highest management spot she can possibly get to at her current store, and corporate thinks she needs more experience. She's considered the marketing manager, so she sends out email blasts, makes stuff come up on the sign outside telling people the specials, does store radio recordings, counts and reconciles the money, draws up the cash bank deposit, etc. And she only makes $11/hr,
Admittedly, I haven't worked retail since I was a freshman in college, but this sounds like radical underpayment to me. I made $10 nine years ago as a Best Buy computer sales guy, and I didn't have anywhere near that responsibility.

quote:

and her boss straight up told her she doesn't believe in raises (despite being a very nice person).
This is just recklessly stupid. I suppose inflation will just stop because you 'don't believe in it' too? No raises means that each year your employees get paid progressively less and less.

quote:

She's on a path to possibly franchising one of their grocery stores some day according to big wigs like the company CEO/VP and stuff, and she has all the right connections, but it's just tough.
Oh poor poor pitiful me, I'm an entrepreneur but can't afford to pay my employees what they're worth. When I get franchised I'll make more money and still pay you the same poo poo wage, but I'm a job creator! (admittedly, she is, but a lovely one)

quote:

Wife career :words:
The good news is you're in the right place, BFC literally is Business, Finance & Careers! While I suggest her own thread, she should start by lurking on your account this forum. Read the big megathreads, at least the OPs. What sounds good, what sounds bad? Then you can help her list out all of her qualities, education, experience and skills, then use that to help guide her to finding what she wants to do. Deciding to become a real estate agent just because some guy with a blog has a wife who does real estate is a pretty stupid idea.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Alright well she's read all of the information posted thus far. She applied for a higher end grocery store last night that pays like $17/hr for senior clerks (which she should qualify for). She applied at Costco about a year ago, but she wasn't very persistent even though the managers seemed to like her. She says she'll try again and take a different approach.

Also it's not just because of MMM's blog or whatever that we've been talking about her going into real estate; we've talked about it a few times throughout the years. It'll help us save money when we buy a house or even manage rentals down the line or whatever if we go down that path. Hell I might go for it even if she doesn't. Anyway she says she'll start reading more BFC threads to get a better idea of some fields she could get into.

Thanks for the input.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
She should definitely try for Costco again. The average wage for a cashier is something like $20/hour. I've got a degree in biology and no shame and I'd take a $20/hour job at Costco over a $9/hour biology job.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Getting a full-time offer from Costco requires good networking, or being at the right place at the right time.
Much of their hiring is done for seasonal employees in October for November-January. They'll hire 30 people, and keep maybe two of them for full-time work afterwards (depending on what the store needs).

And if selling real estate was easy, everyone would do it. The hard part is getting and keeping a client.
For every realtor I know who is making good money, I know 3 or 4 others who are barely getting by, selling one or two houses a year.

And your wife is being paid criminally low wages. The going wisdom when I was in school from current research was that the big pay raises in careers don't usually come from moving up within the company, but from moving sideways to another company.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

canyoneer posted:

Getting a full-time offer from Costco requires good networking, or being at the right place at the right time.
Much of their hiring is done for seasonal employees in October for November-January. They'll hire 30 people, and keep maybe two of them for full-time work afterwards (depending on what the store needs).

Yea I know that's why we're not relying on it. I think if she really put in the effort there would be a good chance though.

canyoneer posted:

And if selling real estate was easy, everyone would do it. The hard part is getting and keeping a client.
For every realtor I know who is making good money, I know 3 or 4 others who are barely getting by, selling one or two houses a year.

Also agreed. However I am a web developer who could compete with many of the local real estate places though as far as finding clients. Hell even if we hit spot 3 or 4 on the search engines that would probably be enough volume to move a house a month I'd presume. It's ultimately up to her of course, but she does have an advantage that many individual agents wouldn't have (a free developer).

canyoneer posted:

And your wife is being paid criminally low wages. The going wisdom when I was in school from current research was that the big pay raises in careers don't usually come from moving up within the company, but from moving sideways to another company.

She knows. It's awful because we've been number one (last place) in the nation for unemployment for awhile in Nevada at around 10%, so generally clinging to even a lovely job is a good strategy right now. The problem is (and I know she's reading this) is she puts in maybe 4 or 5 apps, maybe gets an interview that doesn't work out, and then gets discouraged or comfortable again.

Truly she would probably make more money if she managed our eBay store full time. The business is on hold because PayPal and eBay is awful and holds the money from every order for at least 7-10 days for the first 90 days, but we made $637.00 in sales with ~$100.00 profit with a bunch of one-time expenses like a logo in 30 days. That's with a small fraction of our salable products up, too. I just don't know if it's worth the risk to do something like that while we're paying off debt. I'll encourage her to keep reading more BFC.

---

Anyway I guess to update on everything since I'm posting here anyway: we're doing good. We're going to let Wells Fargo pull out the $1k in debt for the settled line on wife's credit score. This will drain our emergency fund, but we'll be able to assign some funds back to it this paycheck cycle (Friday/Mon). We've been eating a lot of rice and beans and chicken, but we did eat out at some cheap restaurants twice. Last night was $15.07 at a restaurant that was unexpected, and we bought pizza once too (but we did pickup instead of delivery). We're going to make up for this by assigning less to our restaurant budget this cycle.

We also bought a financial book (Millionaire Next Door) that should have been allocated with spending cash but we ended up borrowing it from somewhere else. This was a bad move in retrospect, so we both agreed we need work on buying something -only- if we have it budgeted.

Other than that there have been no major purchases. We've probably done better in the last week with impulse purchases than we ever have. The freezer is getting a bunch of use, and my lunch consisted of some frozen rice and beans we had already prepared.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Knyteguy posted:

We've been eating a lot of rice and beans and chicken, but we did eat out at some cheap restaurants twice. Last night was $15.07 at a restaurant that was unexpected, and we bought pizza once too (but we did pickup instead of delivery). We're going to make up for this by assigning less to our restaurant budget this cycle.

We also bought a financial book (Millionaire Next Door) that should have been allocated with spending cash but we ended up borrowing it from somewhere else. This was a bad move in retrospect, so we both agreed we need work on buying something -only- if we have it budgeted.

Other than that there have been no major purchases. We've probably done better in the last week with impulse purchases than we ever have. The freezer is getting a bunch of use, and my lunch consisted of some frozen rice and beans we had already prepared.

What happened where you guys had to resort to an unexpected restaurant outing?

I don't think there's anything wrong with reallocating your money from another category if that's what you want to do (especially since you don't have any spending cash this month - so really - what would your other option be?), so long as the money still actually exists in that category and its not overspending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

HooKars posted:

What happened where you guys had to resort to an unexpected restaurant outing?

I don't think there's anything wrong with reallocating your money from another category if that's what you want to do (especially since you don't have any spending cash this month - so really - what would your other option be?), so long as the money still actually exists in that category and its not overspending.

Nothing in particular really happened, I think we both wanted something tasty, unhealthy, and easy is the gist of it.

Well really if we allocated none I guess ideally we would spend none. I think it's going to be a bit of a learning game seeing just how much we actually should allocate to certain categories to stick with our budget, and then tapering down slowly. Also we did end up allocating a bit of spending cash after the fact, so we used more than we budgeted either way unfortunately. So we still have some room for improvement basically. Although we did really good for us, we're going to work on doing this better this paycheck cycle.

• Locked thread