Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
If you have an anxiety issue that has manifested into a medical issue you better be seeing a psychiatrist on top of a therapist. Don't let a doctor or a therapist treat that, you need a psychiatrist.

Get well soon either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Knyteguy posted:

After this therapy time I've done some reflection, and I've decided that I'm going to be taking a break from the thread/BFC for an indeterminate amount of time (2-3 months probably).

Hope you feel better soon :)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

RV purchase incoming.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Get better Knyteguy. Please ignore your therapist if they tell you to take out a $25k car loan. Peace be with you.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The best cure for anxiety is spending a bunch of money on poo poo you don't need.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Sorry to hear that, Knyte. Glad you're taking care of yourself. Get well soon!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Get well soon!

While you're away, please try to continue to be mindful of your feelings and your long-term financial goals and try to avoid self-medicating negative feelings with drugs (like alcohol) or shopping.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I've been there, dude, it sucks. I hope you get well soon!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Take care of yourself, hope we hear from you soon!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Thread dead?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
He said he was taking a 2-3 month break about a month ago.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

n8r posted:

Thread dead?

He will come back with an RV, another bun in the oven, a motorcycle, and an announcement that he's taking a sabbatical soon enough.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

il serpente cosmico posted:

He will come back with an RV, another bun in the oven, a motorcycle, and an announcement that he's taking a sabbatical soon enough.

A used RV, another bun in the oven, and an even more precarious employment situation.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
Gee such nice positive responses I can't believe he thought he might be better off without the thread for a little while.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Felter Chesthard posted:

Gee such nice positive responses I can't believe he thought he might be better off without the thread for a little while.

It's almost as if this thread is almost 3 years old (and his second attempt at a help thread...) and some of us have gotten cynical.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Sad...his alternate account has been idle for quite some time too.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

It looks like it's been a few months...

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I messaged him without reply, too. I use to get replies back pretty quickly.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

He's still active on SA so he probably went on a spending spree and doesn't want to face the thread. :homebrew:

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

You guys are creepy stalkers and I'm convinced some of you rely on him more than he relies on you.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

khysanth posted:

You guys are creepy stalkers and I'm convinced some of you rely on him more than he relies on you.

I'm in this camp too. What do you really care if he doesn't check in here every week or two?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

I'm in this camp too. What do you really care if he doesn't check in here every week or two?

On one hand he took a break for mental health reasons so I think if he's not updating the thread it means that still stands and we should respect it. On the other hand, it's frustrating when you spend a lot of time and energy trying to help someone and they disappear, which has happened in this thread a few times. I think it's reasonable for people to express that frustration. Especially because it's been two months, not two weeks.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

defectivemonkey posted:

On one hand he took a break for mental health reasons so I think if he's not updating the thread it means that still stands and we should respect it. On the other hand, it's frustrating when you spend a lot of time and energy trying to help someone and they disappear, which has happened in this thread a few times. I think it's reasonable for people to express that frustration. Especially because it's been two months, not two weeks.
In his last post he explicitly said he'd be gone for at least a couple months though.

quote:

After this therapy time I've done some reflection, and I've decided that I'm going to be taking a break from the thread/BFC for an indeterminate amount of time (2-3 months probably).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

KG obviously has some issues going on outside of his finances. That being said, anytime he disappears from the thread things don't go well.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
To be fair, things didn't exactly go great when he was here either.

I think he needs more help than a business-minded section of a comedy forum can provide, honestly.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Where does KG live by?

I got to think that literally every single state has probably dozens of camping grounds outside of any city limits. I know it isn't as nice as driving around in an RV, but it's a hell of a lot more realistic.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

defectivemonkey posted:

There had been a lot of post since I last looked at the thread. I gave up trying to help or otherwise contribute because the thread was never really on track. Addressing what is now a medical issue will likely help a lot more than this thread. It's difficult to fix other problems in your life if you overwhelming issues to address.

That said I hope there isn't a massive spending spree going on.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Devian666 posted:

There had been a lot of post since I last looked at the thread. I gave up trying to help or otherwise contribute because the thread was never really on track. Addressing what is now a medical issue will likely help a lot more than this thread. It's difficult to fix other problems in your life if you overwhelming issues to address.

That said I hope there isn't a massive spending spree going on.

He probably bought a house and/or another vehicle.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

April posted:

He probably bought a house and/or another vehicle.

Or an RV which is like a house and vehicle in one!!

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Other than the anxiety stuff, things are going relatively well. I'll fill you guys in again when I come back, and it should be a positive update.

This thread is like your favorite TV show being cancelled before they wrap up all of the plot points. I'm assuming if he was doing really well he'd be posting here, and the fact that he's not means things aren't going very well. Thread is turning 3 years old in about a month, and it feels like he's gotten no where towards his ever changing :airquote: financial goals :airquote:.

Here's to hoping your figuring poo poo out Knyteguy, would be nice if you could give us a one paragraph update of where everything ended up, but understand if you don't want to.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

IMO - I don't think he should come back, even just to post an update. This thread was obviously not doing any good for him anymore.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Everytime KG has walked away from his biz/fin thread(s) his financial situation has gotten considerably worse. I hope that at worst he's been treading water on the financial side of things, and is actively seeking mental health help.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Just give me time guys. I told you I needed time, and I didn't give an exact time, only a probably 3-4 months. That probably has come and went but I'm still not ready. This thread was causing me to feel incredibly anxious, which thankfully went away after I stopped posting, but I still need more time. I'll go into some things I've been working on in the future when I'm ready to. Thank you for the support since my last post.

Now a quick financial note back to the apartment that I could genuinely use some input on - so we just got billed $439 which was exactly the amount I disputed in that letter about a year and a half ago. They're saying they're going to send it to a collection agency if we don't pay. Now I kept all of the documents including a letter that was signed as received by a worker in the office, of which we have the signature and the letter. Actually the signature is on the back of the letter as received.

Now the law basically says: if you dispute an itemized deduction (which we have proof that we did), then landlords have to take you to court for a judgement but can't send it to a collections agency before that. This is all in the letter I sent, and again was dated, and signed as received.

What should I do? If they send it to a collection agency then they will be breaking the NRS statute which is clearly stated in the letter. Should I tell them they can't do this because of the letter, and send copies of everything we have, or do I let them break the law with a potential repercussion on their end? I'd imagine lawyering up would cost more money than the $439.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Just give me time guys. I told you I needed time, and I didn't give an exact time, only a probably 3-4 months. That probably has come and went but I'm still not ready. This thread was causing me to feel incredibly anxious, which thankfully went away after I stopped posting, but I still need more time. I'll go into some things I've been working on in the future when I'm ready to. Thank you for the support since my last post.

Now a quick financial note back to the apartment that I could genuinely use some input on - so we just got billed $439 which was exactly the amount I disputed in that letter about a year and a half ago. They're saying they're going to send it to a collection agency if we don't pay. Now I kept all of the documents including a letter that was signed as received by a worker in the office, of which we have the signature and the letter. Actually the signature is on the back of the letter as received.

Now the law basically says: if you dispute an itemized deduction (which we have proof that we did), then landlords have to take you to court for a judgement but can't send it to a collections agency before that. This is all in the letter I sent, and again was dated, and signed as received.

What should I do? If they send it to a collection agency then they will be breaking the NRS statute which is clearly stated in the letter. Should I tell them they can't do this because of the letter, and send copies of everything we have, or do I let them break the law with a potential repercussion on their end? I'd imagine lawyering up would cost more money than the $439.

I can't help you with the legal question but:

- Glad you're doing (relatively) well, and

- That name change is going to take some getting used to :)

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
First off, I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on the internet.

What is your end goal here? If they take you to small claims court, you won't necessarily need to lawyer up (in fact, it's probably inadvisable given the relatively small amount of money they're going after you for). They may win, however, and then you'll have a judgment against you. If you don't pay, depending on your state, you could have wages garnished or tax refunds seized to pay out the judgment. Or you could win, or you could go to arbitration and end up having to pay a smaller amount.

If they do illegally send you to collections, you could sue them (or potentially threaten to sue them and ask for a settlement), but this process could take a very long time to settle.

If it were me in this situation, and I really, really didn't want to pay what they said I owed, I'd send them the proof of the dispute letter you sent them, as well as a copy of the statute they're violating, as well as a new letter summarizing that you previously disputed it, and the potential bad things that could happen if they send you to collections. Then let them do as they please.

Getting sent to collections would give you recourse, but in the meantime you'd have to deal with being sent to collections, which can drastically lower your credit score and you'd have to deal with scummy creditors bothering you. Getting taken to small claims court would also suck, but you could at least present your case there and hope for the best.

Would you be willing to try to settle with them for a lower amount of money? They might be willing to do this once they realize they can't legally send you to collections.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
It's really stressful to take a lot of negative criticism on the internet, even if well-meant and asked-for. I personally can never handle it, so you have done pretty good taking hundreds of pages of advice. Good luck with the $439.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

I can't help you with the legal question but:

- Glad you're doing (relatively) well, and

- That name change is going to take some getting used to :)

Yep! I feel like things are going well. Probably better than they have in many years actually. I've managed to really cut a lot of anxiety "triggers" out of my life.

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's really stressful to take a lot of negative criticism on the internet, even if well-meant and asked-for. I personally can never handle it, so you have done pretty good taking hundreds of pages of advice. Good luck with the $439.

Totally. It's not much fun being the center of a attention when much of it is, if not directly negative, then in what I was perceiving in a negative light. It felt like I was being kicked repeatedly and just coming back and asking for more fairly often. That's a little unfair, but yeah I can't necessarily change how I feel :shrug:. Some in here may not like it, but I have to look out for myself first.

il serpente cosmico posted:

First off, I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on the internet.

What is your end goal here? If they take you to small claims court, you won't necessarily need to lawyer up (in fact, it's probably inadvisable given the relatively small amount of money they're going after you for). They may win, however, and then you'll have a judgment against you. If you don't pay, depending on your state, you could have wages garnished or tax refunds seized to pay out the judgment. Or you could win, or you could go to arbitration and end up having to pay a smaller amount.

If they do illegally send you to collections, you could sue them (or potentially threaten to sue them and ask for a settlement), but this process could take a very long time to settle.

If it were me in this situation, and I really, really didn't want to pay what they said I owed, I'd send them the proof of the dispute letter you sent them, as well as a copy of the statute they're violating, as well as a new letter summarizing that you previously disputed it, and the potential bad things that could happen if they send you to collections. Then let them do as they please.

Getting sent to collections would give you recourse, but in the meantime you'd have to deal with being sent to collections, which can drastically lower your credit score and you'd have to deal with scummy creditors bothering you. Getting taken to small claims court would also suck, but you could at least present your case there and hope for the best.

Would you be willing to try to settle with them for a lower amount of money? They might be willing to do this once they realize they can't legally send you to collections.

I'm kind of torn on the end goal. I want it to go away, but I wouldn't mind being the person with their ducks in a row finally when it comes to something like this. This $439 is pretty shiesty to me. The reason they're charging it to us is because they kept charging us rent for 17 days after we moved out, since they said they didn't realize we'd left. We gave them a 30-day note stating our intention and our move out date, they called one number on the contact sheet "leaving messages" that somehow we never saw or received (and they never tried another contact number of which they had 3), and basically I think they were just trying to milk us for breaking our lease early. They have a duty to mitigate damages in situations like this per the law, and I feel like they didn't do a good job meeting that.

I'm hesitant to settle. We already paid them when we sent our dispute letter ~$936 in a check, plus it ate our $550 deposit. We disputed only the $439 of extra rent they charged. They charged us $100 to paint one small wall with apartment-grade paint, $50 to clean the carpet of a 4'x4' closet, they charged us a month of rent. We paid all of that and now 1.5 years after sending that initial dispute they want more, and the debt letter is kind of threatening with their wording. It's incredibly tempting to let them screw up.

I'm still undecided, so I'll give it some thought over the weekend. Thanks for the help.

Last post again for awhile. I'm sure that this is incredibly unfulfilling for many of you, but I need to look out for my own mental health, and frankly things are going pretty well. If we make no additional debt payments from this point, we'll be out of debt except around $6,000-7,000 in student loans within 2-3 years. Wife got a $1.25/hr raise to $15/hr and a promotion. We're currently saving $1,500 a month with a new forced spending limit system setup. We opened a second checking account with Ally, and all of our monthly expenses and discretionary money comes out of there with a hard limit, while our other bank account is for autopay monthly bills. This is on its way to being automated, in that $750 per my paychecks goes directly into our savings account, and I'll be setting up our second checking to withdraw our monthly expenses automatically soon as well.

So to visualize how it's setup a bit:
Checking 1 - fixed monthly bills ($3,230) rent daycare etc
Checking 2 - dynamic monthly expenses ($1285/mo) gas, pets, groceries, spending money
Savings 1 - catch-all savings account/emergency fund. ($1500/mo or 24.95% savings rate net income per month.)

I like it because I don't have to think about it, being automated. If checking 2 runs out of money we don't carry any credit cards or our checking 1 bank card with us. Just can't spend any money and we have to plan in advance any large purchases.

:cheers: guys if I'm feeling up for it then I'll post an update sometime.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Very good financial changes. Stick with it and it'll become a habit. Best of luck!

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed
I suppose there is a perverse logic at work: while sticking with the thread and taking heaps of abuse while being unable to stick to a budget, you quit the thread when you finally enact and follow meaningful financial changes.

I'm more than willing to give up this kabuke theatre if it means you're finally in a good place, KG. Best of luck, and do update from time to time with a debt pay off graph. Every epic thread need an ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Good work on the financial front KG/JO.

• Locked thread