Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Seriously, unless you're seriously underwater on that car loan (e.g. loan is currently at 14k, car value is only 12k) then sell that car and then buy something used and significantly cheaper. It's not sexy, but you can definitely get a good used Accord or whatever for less than that, and the 18% is just killer. Why is the interest rate on that loan so high? I think mine is 5%!

Other than that, you need to budget your discretionary income. If you guys bring in 5k monthly, you need to budget at least $500 should immediately go into savings, then bring out your expected living expenses (rent/food/internet/phone). The rest is discretionary, and you should plan accordingly.

Also, buying video games at your level of debt? Totally uncool. Then you post that you just bought a PS4 and are going to need some serious willpower to not buy ANOTHER console (the 3DS)!? Get a grip, man! You want to get out of debt and start preparing for buying a house! You can't do that and drop large sums of money on impulse purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
So you want to pay off $30,000 in debt and save an additional $20,000 in cash in two years. Let's start mathing this out. First, assumptions:

a. You and your wife average $5,000 in net take-home pay.
b. Neither of you significantly alters your work hours or gets a raise. Let's plan for base expectations - if you get a raise, or she gets a higher paying job, great! Treat that as bonus.
c. We ignore any incidental income from your side-business on eBay. It's somewhat unreliable, so don't plan on it.

Let's start with your living expenses:

1. Saving $20,000 in two years is easy on paper. 20,000 divided by 24 is $833 - let's round up to $850 to keep the math simple. Set this aside each month (ideally in a separate account, like a savings account) and don't touch it. This money also functions as a buffer in case of emergencies (car breaks, computer dies, vet bills). Take all reasonable and prudent measures to not spend this money unless it's unavoidable.
Remaining monthly cash: $5,000 - $850 = $4,150

2. Living expenses - housing, food, electricity, water, internet - are somewhat fixed, but there are ways to reduce them. When your lease is up, you could consider a cheaper apartment; I don't know where you live, but $1,100 is somewhat expensive for what I assume to be a 2br/1ba apartment. Look around and see what's available. Based on the numbers in your OP, your "living expenses" minus your food expenses are about $1750.
Remaining monthly cash: $4,150 - $1,750 = $2,400

3. Your food budget is definitely high for two people, and I suspect a lot of it is eating out. I think two people eating at home with food bought from a grocer and cooked should reasonably be able to eat on $100/week or $400/month. Try to reduce your eating out, maybe do it once a week as a special treat.
Remaining monthly cash: $2,400 - $400 = $2,000

We're already this far and we haven't even talked about debt repayment, and we now have $2,000/month in cash to throw at the problem. Over 24 months, this equates to $48,000, larger than your current debt load of $30,000, so on paper this is doable. Hooray! But don't get too excited yet, because there's a lot of hard decisions to make here, and that $2,000/month also includes your discretionary spending budget.

Take a deep breath, and let's talk about your debts, and how to pay them off at an accelerated rate (2 years):

1. The car loan with $14,000 left in principal at 18% is the gorilla in the room. That's an absolute disaster of a loan - as people have pointed out, that's credit card territory in interest rates - and it's seriously damaging your ability to reach your goal. You need to get rid of that loan. As I see it, you have a few options.
a) Talk to the lender, point out the usurious interest rates, negotiate a reduction in rate
b) Shop around at banks and find an institution willing to refinance your loan and pay off the original lender
c) Sell your car, pay your loan with the proceeds, find a cheaper USED car, make sure you don't get a stupidly high interest rate on your new loan

For obvious reasons, I favor option C. In most metropolitan areas, you should be able to get a mid-2000's Japanese sedan for $4,000-6,000. This allows you instantly erase up to a third of your debt, having a lower principal loan means you pay less interest, and having a less-expensive car you should be able to get a lower rate. If you don't like option C - you're too attached to your car - then pursue option B, shop around and look at potential loans, then either go with a new lender or use this as ammunition to negotiate a lower rate with your current lender. Further, having a less expensive car should reduce your insurance premiums.

For reference, a $6,000 loan at your current ridiculous rate of 18% in 24 months is an average monthly payment of $300. Contrast this with paying off your existing loan at $700/month, which is what you'd need to average to pay it off in 24 months!

2. Without changing the truck note, just paying off the remaining principal at the existing interest rate means you need an average of $350/month to do it in 24 months.

3. About your student loan, I don't know the interest rate, so I'm just going to arbitrarily choose 6% (that sounds good to me). Paying off your remaining principal in 24 months is about $350/month.

4. Your wife's student loan is small bananas. Call it $50/month.

How does all this add up?
Without changing any of the terms of your existing debts, you need $1450/month to make your goal happen. If you take my suggestion about the car, you can reduce that to about $1050, which is much more reasonable. $2000 less whatever number slots in here is your available discretionary income.

Why does this matter? Discretionary spending comes last on the budget, and it's whatever is left over after all your other poo poo gets taken care of! So looking at your current profile, you really only have $550 left of your $5,000 income to spend once you take care of your living expenses and debts. $550 to make it the whole month, and that has to be all you spend on ALL your extra poo poo: eating out, new clothes, movie tickets, video games, books, music, etc. That's not a lot of money, and you'll need to make it stretch. You can raise your available discretionary funds by reducing your expenses, but short of my car suggestion, there's not a lot to cut.

wintermuteCF fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 22, 2013

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Good, I have high hopes for you Knyteguy (unlike Slow Motion, who I only have high hopes for entertainment in his thread due to his catastrophically poor decision making). If I may dispense some more advice:

- Treat your tax returns the same way you would a bonus. If you guys get a return of 8k, then I suggest you take a small amount and treat yourselves (maybe take a weekend holiday somewhere reasonable) and put the rest toward your savings and debts. Maybe put 2k into your savings for the house, then the rest throw it at your highest interest% debt that remains.

- For Christmas, don't let guilt on the part of your families entice you to spend more than you plan to. Talk to your wife about it now, and plan how much you'd like to spend in total, then figure out how to divide that between the necessary parties. If someone gets their panties in a knot because you didn't buy them an expensive gift, gently caress 'em - you're in debt and you need to take care of what's important. And if they ask why, don't feel obligated to discuss your finances, because it's not their loving business in the first place. Try to focus on thoughtfulness as opposed to expensive for your gifts as well. It's one thing to give a child a $50 video game because you don't know what he wants, it's another thing entirely to give him a $20 gift that he's really interested in.

Good luck! Let us know how the car/financing research goes. If you want more specific advice, post your trim level, approximate miles, and region and we can probably help you with book values and such.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Truthfully - and I have high hopes for OP - I wouldn't co-sign a car loan for him if I had any idea of the current state of his finances and his splurge spending (PS4, upcoming Christmas, etc). It would be a nice gesture, and it's a huge savings, but it's also a big risk with OP being on the edge with regard to solvency.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Cancel your satellite radio subscription. It's $16/month that's pointless - regular radio is FREE. Or listen to audiobooks you can probably check out from your public library. Or literally anything that's not paying $16/month for very little value.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Knyteguy posted:

Well I might use my budgeted spending cash to hit up Gamestop on Black Friday. They have a "must have" subscription service card for $30.00 (regularly $50 for a year). This will be the only Black Friday shopping we do. Since it's normally about $4 a month for the service and constantly gives away free games I think it's worth it.
If you budgeted for it beforehand and it's coming out of your discretionary spending, and you don't go over-budget anywhere as a result, then go for it. Otherwise, get your priorities checked.

quote:

Some quick updates:
Satellite radio gave us 2 months free for trying to quit, so our next bill is February 5th, and they also offered my wife half off forever after that. That's down to $8.00 a month after fees. Is that cool or would it be wise to still get rid of it?
Depends. Is your wife willing to pay for it out of her discretionary spending budget? If not, cancel it.

quote:

I've been tempted to just give her complete control of the spending decisions, but I think I need to work through my spending habits instead of just taking the easy way out. I'll talk to her about specific roles anyway though.
Do things together. Don't ever expect your partner to take care of everything for you. Be an active participant in reclaiming your own financial future.

quote:

Thanks all for the ideas on the gifts. We agreed to do something like homemade ornaments for the adults, and under $10 toys for the kids as well. We're going to be baking cookies with my grandma for gifts too. We're on track to spend less than $100 on Christmas now. The budget in my head before was $1,000. We might still use that Best Buy card too, or we might sell it. I got an estimate for $123.00 from a gift card buying site (value $137).
Good progress here. Give the adult/couples a plate of homemade baked goods and maybe something like an ornament or other Christmasy knickknack. Kids should get some sweets and a budget-conscious toy. If any of the adults in your life give you a weird look, remember 1) who the gently caress are they to question your gift?, and 2) gently caress them, you're on a budget. "It's the thought that counts" is true here more than ever.

Good luck Knyteguy!

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

HooKars posted:

How in God's name were you planning on spending $1,000 on Christmas? It's you and your spouse ALREADY bought a $400 playstation for the two of you as your main Christmas gift and you're apparently not even counting that in the budget? Aside from that, you have 6 kids to buy presents for and maybe a couple of adults who can't expect pricey gifts because who still gets really expensive gifts for their brothers/sisters/parents at that age? Christmas is about the kids at some point, and kids who are not your own don't need ~$150 spent on them.

Looking at my own Christmas, I have my mom, dad, stepmom, two stepsisters, two nephews and my brother/sister in law -- even at $50 per person (I wouldn't spend that much on my nephew who's a baby), that's still only $450. Then I have two underprivileged kids I adopted -- another $100. And a suggested bill for tipping my apartment doormen for $175 (which I don't plan to give in full). STILL not $1000. Even if I gave in full, I'd still be at $725. I know significant others can get pricey gifts but you were planning on spending $1000 NOT COUNTING the Playstation? That is insane and a serious indication that you guys have problems with spending.

Edit::

Also did you really BUDGET $1,000 for Christmas. Or was that just what you were going to spend?

Calm down. Knyte and his wife have already realized the folly of spending this much, and are not going to. No need to yell at him further.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Depending on how frequently you change blades, Dollar Shave Club can also help you out on razors. I think I pay $6 every other month because I only change blades (the 4-bladed kind because I'm lazy) every other week, so 4 blades lasts 2 months. Far cheaper than buying in a drugstore, and you don't have to think about it.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

WampaLord posted:

Rather than subscribe to their dumb "pay every month" model (which is just a trick to make you forget to cancel and keep your subscription going forever), you can just go to https://www.dorcousa.com and buy the razors in bulk. Spent $24 bucks, now have enough razors to last me 6 months.

4 razors is $5.50 + shipping through Dorco
4 razors is $6.00 with shipping included through Dollar Shave Club?

You can also sign up for every-other-month shipments, so 6 months of razors for me is $18 ($6 x 3).

Don't be a twat.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Old Fart posted:

It's okay to skip them from time to time.

Some advice on the economics of video games. There are two types of games:
1. Games that need to be played now in order to get the full experience. These are almost entirely ONLINE multiplayer games, like an MMORPG or [insert flavor-of-the-month first-person-shooter game]. The game is dependent upon the community of players, and that community will be in full force for a limited period of time, then will move on. You have to own the game at the right time to really get the value out of it, and that usually means soon after release for full- or nearly-full cost.

2. Games that can be played at any time ('timeless') with the majority of the experience intact. These comprise virtually every single-player game, as well as anything with a local multiplayer option (like Mario Kart or Goldeneye 007). It doesn't matter when you buy this game, you'll still get the value out of it, and that means you can wait until it gets much cheaper.

The more you can get games in the second category, the cheaper your overall gaming expenditures will be. And truthfully, a lot of people overlook the fact that current- and even last-generation systems still have incredible value for money. There was a recent article in The Verge (which I will attempt to find and link) that discussed this phenomenon, posing the hypothetical question of how to maximize benefit from $600 spent on gaming. It went something like this.

$600 buys you:
1. An Xbox One, one new game, and maybe a second controller or a few XBLA indie games.
2. A PS4, two games, a second controller, a PS+ subscription.
3. A PS3 or Xbox 360, a second controller, a PS+ or Live subscription, at least a half dozen used or 'Greatest Hits' games.
4. A PS2, as many controllers as you could want, and a truckload of games, many of which still look and play great.

This is not to say that you need to be perpetually a generation behind the times, but you could have easily waited a year on your PS4 purchase, until launch titles were selling for half their value (or less!), consoles were plentiful, and there are more games.

Video games are rapidly depreciating assets. That new high-budget triple-A title that releases and sells for $60 will only be worth half that in a year, and depending on how quickly Sony releases a Greatest Hits version of it, it can tank even faster. Consider the example of Ni no Kuni: released in North America in January of this year for $60, and you can buy it today on Amazon for 1/4 of that, and if you're a PS+ subscriber, you can get a digital version for under $10.

Okay, enough of a derail. Back to Knyte and his newfound fiscal responsibility.

Income > Taxes > Save > Bills > Living expenses > Whatever is left over. Video games are a loooooooooong way down the list.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Knyte - I still believe you're making positive mentality changes toward spending and saving. You haven't disappointed me yet, please don't do so!

And Icarus is right, those cars represent the bulk of your debt, and selling them and finding something cheaper can erase a large chunk of obligation in one shot. Really look in to this.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Minor point: you're understating your assets because you don't have your car values included. Possibly just me being pedantic.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Knyteguy posted:

I've been debating adding this... I kind of like seeing our "total all accounts" being worth -$30,000 on YNAB because it motivates both of us, and lets us know that even though we have $2,000 in the bank or whatever, we're still broke. Seeing that in the black will be awesome either way though :).
If it motivates you, then by all means, keep it as is. Sometimes these little mental tricks help. But what I want you to remember is that you have $17k in debt on the car - which sounds like (and is) a lot of money - but can be mostly eliminated by intelligent selling of that car and picking up something cheaper. I hate to keep echoing this, but you can eliminate a solid third of your total debt by selling that car, then buying another car that's cheaper (even $7k buys a lot of car these days if you shop intelligently). That makes it easier to achieve your goal of debt elimination and saving $20k by next year.

And I recommend getting on that train sooner rather than later. All cars (or at least, all cars that you or I would be buying) are depreciating assets, but they depreciate at different rates. A 17k car is going to lose a lot of value over the next year or two, whereas a 7k car has already had most of its depreciation and will lose less value over the same time period.

On an unrelated note, gently caress Slow Motion. He makes a big deal about how he likes the baller lifestyle, but it's like he expected his posts from elsewhere on the forums to be ignored so we could all focus on his finances. He would have probably gotten sick of us calling him stupid about his finances, but people lost sight of that and started ragging on his appalling taste instead. Then he picked up his ball(er) and went home to his overpriced idiot box (apartment).

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Someone remind me: why are we ditching the TRUCK and not the CAR? IIRC, the car loan has twice the outstanding principal and 7% more interest rate?

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Knyteguy posted:

Will explain the last two later, but our debt just increased by $2000

What happened now? :frogon:

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Knyte - do NOT give me a heart attack! Until I got to the second paragraph, my thoughts were: "oh god he is EXACTLY Zaurg".

Chest freezer sounds cool if you use it.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Knyteguy posted:

Well she makes like $19,000 gross now without benefits (maybe she'll get lucky and get a week of paid vacation every couple years), so even at $40k she's still doubling her salary. She's at the highest management spot she can possibly get to at her current store, and corporate thinks she needs more experience. She's considered the marketing manager, so she sends out email blasts, makes stuff come up on the sign outside telling people the specials, does store radio recordings, counts and reconciles the money, draws up the cash bank deposit, etc. And she only makes $11/hr,
Admittedly, I haven't worked retail since I was a freshman in college, but this sounds like radical underpayment to me. I made $10 nine years ago as a Best Buy computer sales guy, and I didn't have anywhere near that responsibility.

quote:

and her boss straight up told her she doesn't believe in raises (despite being a very nice person).
This is just recklessly stupid. I suppose inflation will just stop because you 'don't believe in it' too? No raises means that each year your employees get paid progressively less and less.

quote:

She's on a path to possibly franchising one of their grocery stores some day according to big wigs like the company CEO/VP and stuff, and she has all the right connections, but it's just tough.
Oh poor poor pitiful me, I'm an entrepreneur but can't afford to pay my employees what they're worth. When I get franchised I'll make more money and still pay you the same poo poo wage, but I'm a job creator! (admittedly, she is, but a lovely one)

quote:

Wife career :words:
The good news is you're in the right place, BFC literally is Business, Finance & Careers! While I suggest her own thread, she should start by lurking on your account this forum. Read the big megathreads, at least the OPs. What sounds good, what sounds bad? Then you can help her list out all of her qualities, education, experience and skills, then use that to help guide her to finding what she wants to do. Deciding to become a real estate agent just because some guy with a blog has a wife who does real estate is a pretty stupid idea.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

spwrozek posted:

That credit card sounds like a bad idea to me since you have to pay a yearly fee and you have to front the money locked away for 2 years as your limit. If you have a checking account with chase and it has direct deposit you can get a freedom card no questions asked. The limit will be low but that is really all you want. Use it a couple times a month and pay it off.

This. Do this. Revolving credit is good to have on your report if used responsibly, and your bank should be willing to give you a card (even one with a low limit).

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

SiGmA_X posted:

Really? Is this normal? My state gives you 30 days. So do both states north and south of me. Though that's only 3/50.
Zeta has good :words: on selling price. I would suggest pricing it competitively against other ad's for similar cars in your area, and make sure its clean-clean-clean. Take good pictures, post a VERY minimal ad with good pictures, and see what happens. Short ad's get far more results than long ad's.

Further car ad advice:

1. Use full sentences with proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
2. Include pertinent information, including at least: Year, make, model, mileage, trim packages (ex. Accord DX, LX, or EX), major options (ex. navigation).
3. When photographing your car, squat down a bit to get closer to eye level, otherwise pictures are all angled down.
4. Get your car washed, take pictures when it's shiny.
5. You want a couple of good exterior shots (side profile, front 3/4) and at least one shot of the instrument cluster while the car is on for mileage.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Anyone heard from Knyteguy in the last few months? Wondering how everything turned out for this guy!

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Knyteguy posted:

[*]Wife got a new job, $13.50 from $11.00 per hour.
:woop:

Knyteguy posted:

[*]Traded in both cars for a new corolla. Down to one car for the foreseeable future. Interest 10.99% (other car was 18%, truck was 10.95%). Our net worth is roughly the same but we're not bleeding so much interest (still too much but see below).
Cautionary :woop:. On the one hand, good job getting rid of the 18% loan, that was a clusterfuck. Also, good job getting something that sounds reasonably reliable (Toyota) and economical (Corolla). On the other hand, you're going to eat some depreciation quickly. Having 1 car is both a blessing and a curse, but you guys will make do.

Knyteguy posted:

[*]Our lease is up July 31st. Current rent is $1,560.00 per month. We are moving into a new apartment that will be $695-$700 per month. Wife will then be across the street from her work.
:woop: :woop: Especially since this mitigates the sting of dropping down to 1 car in two months.

Knyteguy posted:

[*]According to our YNAB history on non-optional bills and expenses, we will have around $4,000 a month in discretionary funds with my wife's new paycheck and rent. We're aiming to save $3,000 per month for the car which will get it paid off in 8 months, and use the additional $$ as buffer and small stuff like entertainment.
OK, $4,000 a month surplus. THIS IS A GOOD THING! Now let's make sure you spend it in the best way possible. A few follow-up questions apply here:
1. How much is the outstanding $$$ amount on the car note for the Corolla?
2. How much emergency cash fund do you have set aside in a bank account?

Overall though, good steps! Proud of ya Knyteguy!

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Knyteguy posted:

Thanks!

At work so can't explain too much:
1) $25,000 (included some negative equity, sales tax, stuff like that).
2) Just a couple hundred right now. We pretty much fell into our old ways a few times. Like we kept having financial plans and stuff, but we lost most of it about $20.00-$30.00 at a time (oh it's fine to go out to eat/buy x/go there. The buffer can handle it). I hate to admit it but it's true. That's a big part of the reason for the recent behavior and our newest plans to get back on track.

OK, priority 1 is to build a buffer in the form of a savings account or sub-account to your checking that holds rainy day funds. Build this before you pay down your car at an accelerated rate. You say you have a $4000 surplus per month - or will, once you move to the cheaper place - so you should be able to build this pretty fast.

Ideal value for this fund would be 6 months expected expenses. So if you and your wife both lost your jobs, you'd be able to make rent, car note, put food on the table, etc. I don't know what your current budget looks like (and if you want advice, feel free to post it), but you will probably want 5-10k here.

THEN pay off your car at an accelerated rate.

(You don't want to sink a lot of money into the car, then lose your job and not be able to make rent, etc.)

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Inept posted:

Sounds like my experience with lease breaking is different than the norm. It might be because I only ever dealt with small time landlords, not rental property companies.

I don't get this though. There's almost no way you aren't paying a lot more money by buying a new car vs keeping the old one even at a lower interest rate. What's past is past, but it doesn't sound like you're better off for having traded in the car vs. just keeping it. I mean maybe your payments would have been a bit higher, but you also would have had it paid off sooner.

Total cost of ownership might be lower. Car is more fuel efficient, only one car driven equals less fuel expense, an old truck could have had big repair bills in the unforeseen future. I would have paid them off and eaten the difference and bought a cheap car, but this isn't the worst possible thing. At least he bought something economical and reliable.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Grumpwagon posted:

1 small piece of advice going forward: With bigger purchases (such as a possible house w/ Grandma's matching funds), it seems like sometimes you get blinders on, and focus more on 1 thing, like meeting the date, or lowering your interest rate, and not the big picture. When you were buying a car, you wanted a car with a lower interest rate. You could have ended up with a PT Cruiser. Take things slow, research the hell out of the thing you're doing, and buy it when YOU'RE feeling prepared and ready, not when other people want you to.

This is excellent advice, Knyteguy. If I may piggyback on it, I would say you need to be comfortable with asking for help or advice sometimes. You have a lot of people who want to help you in this thread, and we would have been happy to advise you and steer you in the right direction, but you didn't consult us. OK, we're 'internet people', most people wouldn't think to ask an internet forum if buying a new car is a good idea, but we really do want to help.

But whether it was a good decision or not (I think it's kind of a wash, really), it's done, and it's not worth pointing fingers or blame. It'll all work out for you guys if you get back on track and stay diligent (and don't fall back into bad spending habits).

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

spwrozek posted:

You do know that doesn't just happen right?

Accidents happen. Condoms break, pills can fail. Unless one of them has their tubes tied or she has an IUD, it could have been a mistake.

Well, now you have 9 months to start planning ahead for the baby. Start saving like crazy so her maternity leave doesn't screw you with the reduced income, and please for the love of god resist the temptation to buy all-new stuff for your baby. Be frugal with your baby items, know that a lot of the things people go "OMG YOU MUST GET THE DIAPER WIPE WARMER OR THE BABY WILL FREAK OUT OVER ROOM TEMP WIPES" is bullshit intended to get you to buy more poo poo, and get hand-me-downs from family whenever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

n8r posted:

How is your car payment $800/month? You better be driving a 911.

They had a paid off truck but were underwater on their other car, there wouldn't be much equity between the two of them. A $25,000 loan for the Corolla (I'm guessing here) at 11% for a 3 year note is $818/month.

• Locked thread