Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Knyteguy posted:

Quick question: what's a reasonable amount for a gym membership? We went to a place today that wanted a 2 year contract at 34$ a month and 83$ up front. It was 437$ contract free for both of us. That seems stupidly high. I am thinking of saving for a small home gym. A good bench set with 300 lbs of Olympic weights is 600$. Anyone in an office job that sits literally all day can probably relate how much it sucks sometimes exercise wise. I'm not talking about literally this instant, but this could be a good project to start saving for, after we get enough of a buffer to take care of insurance 6 months at a time. So basically does anyone have input on a home gym for membership? If membership what's a good amount to pay?

Does your city have a city-owned rec center or something? Everywhere I've lived has had one, and their memberships are dirt cheap. Mine is $110/year for a family membership (2 adults, up to 4 kids/seniors living under the same roof) and they even offer daycare services for 2 hours for $5 if you need it. They might not have all the top-of-the-line equipment, but it's good for a beginner/light exerciser until you firmly decide that you need something that they don't offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Knyteguy posted:

The problem is she's having such a hard time finding something she likes and wants to do that pays. She loves doing ceramics and painting but there just isn't a lot of jobs out there for stuff like that.
I think that this is a misunderstanding a lot of people have when people to tell you to do something you love for a living. Hence the thousands of people in their twenties absolutely convinced they can make it big in their rock band. It's not meant to be a push toward doing a hobby for a living, it's better to think of it in terms of personality and how your brain is wired to work. Is she good at talking to people face-to-face? On the phone? Does she like to play with spreadsheets, databases, or numbers? Does she have a knack for physical organization, noticing trends, leading people, managing pieces of projects? Taking cues from little talents like that could help you find any number of generic positions across every type of office environment. Realtor or dental hygienist seem like desperate "anything but this!" grasps that seem poorly thought out. At least with applying for generic "project manager"/"database analyst" or whatever don't necessarily require more school.

• Locked thread