Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

If you rent out your house like you're thinking of doing, would you appreciate the tenants taking care of the place like it's their own? Oh no $25 to aerate and fertilize a lawn get lost holy crap. I like to get out in the dirt after sitting in an office all day and the money is both paltry and within our moving budget. What do you care whether I work on the lawn or not?

My net worth has been steadily rising since June. Here's that 33% misinformation again. Not sure how many times I need to say that. Just because YOU spend money at Goodwill for clothes doesn't mean I have to. It doesn't mean I'm wrong either. Just because YOU find it a nice challenge doesn't mean I do. I can absolutely guarantee you spend money on something I find completely wasteful in turn. Guarantee it. In fact I loving know it because you've told me in PMs before. You really seem to like to talk about your accomplishments, why don't you go start a big brag thread?

Aagar I just said that we've saved roughly $9,000 since June. That's the only put up or shut up I can do at the moment since I won't know the entire picture until the end of the month; and I already said I'd post that then.

Ugh done for now guys. Bugamol I'll get back to your post later but I'm done fighting for now.

My favorite part is where you don't think you're in financial trouble. You're less than broke - you have negative money and a child on the way. That seems like a huge emergency to me.

You can get angry at people who really are trying to point out the ways you are wasteful and act without proper planning, but it's ultimately up to you to make it happen. You posted this thread to get outside opinions. Apparently, lots of people here have ways to help you make progress that you don't want to hear. If that's the case, then just close the thread and quietly walk away. No one will blame you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Horking Delight posted:

People have given up on SlowMo but they're really rooting for Knyteguy.

This. Knyte has hope, Slow Motion is lost.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Knyte, both Cornholio and Tuyop had similar parts to their threads. You're facing reality and it's scary, it's challenging everything you thought you knew. You feel like you've already figured everything out. I mean, you *are* an adult, right?

But part of being an adult is learning how to deal with ideas outside of your normal thinking. Your normal thinking/actions have led you to where you are now. Are you in serious trouble at this moment? No. Are you one major incident away from ruin? Possibly.

What we're trying to do is point out the flaws in your thinking and planning. No one is perfect, not even the BFC Hivemind. The BFCH is really great at helping out, but you have to be willing to try some new ideas. Sometimes it's a simple change, like biking to work, that is very easy to implement and you see results quickly. Other ideas, like making a realistic budget and sticking to it, are a huge change in one's mindset.

When you come across something that seems difficult or expensive, try to find a way of doing it without breaking the bank. I personally think you should consider re-homing some of your animals and that you moved into the house too quickly and expensively, but only you know if it was worth it. You, your wife, and your child are going to have to deal with it, and that definitely is a tough burden to shoulder.

Make sure you're not doing things to keep up appearances. To put my personal junk out there:
My in-laws tend to give me crap about being frugal, driving an old car, not wanting a huge house in the 'burbs with a formal dining room, etc. I always tell them that if they want to pay for it, they can get whatever they want for me. But since I pay the bills, I'm going to live the way I choose. That means staying in my little home for a few more years and socking away cash for when we truly are ready to start our family. We're on track to have 6 figures in the bank at that time, and that's going to make the whole moving/having a baby combo much easier on us.

This is also considering that I'm changing jobs to one where I make less, but will not have to work as many hours or be stressed all the time. It's a little scary thinking about our take-home pay being less than it was, but we already live basically on one income as it is. We have a higher discretionary spending line in our budget than most would, but we have no debt outside of our mortgage. It took a long time, a lot of planning and reconciliation, and a lot of budget adjustments to get where we are now.

Do I still want expensive toys? Of course! For some stupid reason, I keep pricing out 70" TVs like I want to buy one. I even went to Best Buy to scope out the latest and greatest ones. But I already have a large enough TV, and I really don't even play games or watch much TV anymore. Even though we can easily afford it, I've decided that just pretending that I'm looking for a TV is fun enough. I'm happy to enjoy what I already have.

I only bring these things up because you are fully capable of being in the same position. Analyze your decision-making process. Figure out what is *really* important in life. Toys, brand-name clothes, electronics, etc are just noise in our lives. Sure, everyone needs an outlet, but you should be able to find things that are relatively inexpensive to do for fun. Etch glassware, buy cheap paintings at Goodwill and paint over them, learn a new coding language, etc.

You can do it, you just need to stop making excuses for why you didn't do what you are capable of doing.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Knyte, this stuff is exactly why everyone has been on your case to try to cut back where you can and start socking away cash. Babies can be a black hole for expenses and your energy. I hope you get the quietest, best-behaved child possible, but the odds of having some curveballs thrown at you are high.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Knyte, you are completely hosed with your current plan. It's not going to work, you are spending more than you make. Your bad decisions, old and new, are coming to a head at a very difficult time in your life. You desperately need to evaluate what is absolutely necessary for the well-being of your family, and nothing should be off the table. Your wife has got to stay employed, and if you have any prospects for increasing your incomes you need to get on it yesterday.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
You cannot refinance your car while it is under water. You will not be right-side up until 3 or 4 years of regular payments. What reality are you living in?

Edit :your credit score sucks because you don't pay your debts. You have an amount of debts hanging over your head that are going to need to be dealt with eventually. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't be paying anything extra to the leasing company. Make them sue you, but you need that money in the short term.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 6, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Have you been updating the value of your Corolla as it depreciates? I feel like it's been $15900 forever.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

hitachi posted:

Why are energy drinks you are buying at the gas station going under groceries? Those should be discretionary.

Agreed. Also, check out Aldis for cheap energy drinks. The redbull knockoff is pretty good, and only $2.50 for a 4 pack.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
If you have money left over in your budget after buying customized chocolate bar birth announcements and wonder hangers, go for it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Speaking of animals, what were you going to do with 3 cats and 2 dogs while you were vacationing in Santa Barbara?

Knyte, there are over 2600 posts in this thread. You get caught up in details and still seem to miss this big picture: You need to spend less money, and make more of it. Quit looking for excuses to spend money in a "thrifty" way. A trip with a newborn to visit a grave is one of the silliest things I've ever heard of someone doing. Just because you think it will cost $250 now doesn't mean that you won't have a tire blowout, or go out to eat a couple extra times, or do anything of the things that most people do on a vacation and spend a little more to enjoy it.

We're not trying to beat you up and make you feel bad, we just want you to understand that your past is catching up to you quickly. Your debt is an emergency! You are severely underwater on your car, and you broke a lease with very little consideration of the financial impacts. Saving $20/month here and there doesn't add up to jack poo poo when you blow thousands of dollars on impulsive purchases/decisions. It reminds me of a family member of mine who always seems to have some big deal thing going on. Every month there's a big deal in their life: buying a (brand new) car, going on expensive vacations, upgrading furniture, having babies, etc. It seems like they want the world to think they are doing great from the outside. Most people really don't give a poo poo about what your Facebook Life™ looks like.

If you really, REALLY want to get out of dire financial straits, then it's going to take a long rear end time and lots of hard work and sacrifice. You don't even know exactly how bad off your finances are, because you've got poo poo in collections that no one in this thread knows about. If you don't like seeing the ugly truth, close the thread and move on. If you have to keep defending your decisions for 50 posts at a time, maybe you should realize your position is not as strong as you thought.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 22, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
No one trapped you but yourself. Getting your financial status back to being just broke ($0 net worth not including retirement accounts) is going to be hard work and will take a long time. It doesn't mean you will never eat out again or go on vacation. It means that you prioritize your cash outflows to paying off your debts.

You lived high on the hog when you couldn't afford it. Now it's time to pay the piper.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
How old is that medical debt?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Imagine that net worth graph if you can sell that Corolla in a year or two and buy something much cheaper. $4000 cars still have lots of life left in them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Our savings goal numbers per month aren't very set in stone. We generally just save as much as we can. Setting an absolutely minimum couldn't hurt though.

That's not a good goal. A good goal is measurable, and it would be a good idea once you settle into your new routine post-birth to sit down and figure out some concrete goals.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
gently caress the haters, that's what discretionary spending is about. YOU choose what to spend it on.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
You have nothing to lose by challenging it. If you fight tooth and nail for 10 hours, what will the benefit be if you win? I don't remember the total cost, but if it's $500 then you're getting paid $50 an hour. Doesn't that seem worthwhile?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I can't believe you forked over $1000 bucks to keep your credit score from tanking when you already have thousands of dollars in collections. I am leaning towards bankruptcy at this point. You could get rid of that horribly expensive car and get a reasonable cheap car to replace it with cash. You are years from being able to afford a house anyways.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
We have avoided bankruptcy talk mostly because we did not know your full financial picture and about all outstanding debts. I would wait to see how much your kid costs you before considering it, but if you have any sort of complications it might be the right decision. I wish you well and hope you can make headway regardless. A functional budget that you can stick with will be great either way.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I believe that is called a "joke."

Well played, both of you.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
See if your landlord would deduct the cost of a programmable thermostat from your rent if you install it yourself. You save money on energy costs, they Dave money on reduced wear and tear on the hvac.

Re: grocery chat, if you have Aldis nearby, start shopping there immediately. I have reduced my food costs by around 25% by buying my staple items there. Just don't give in to temptation to buy junk food. Having only healthy choices available makes it much easier to stock to a healthy diet. I try to put good snacking options front and center in my fridge and pantry, so they are the first things I see.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 6, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

n8r posted:

If you want to save money on groceries start shopping at Walmart Aldi's.

Fixed that for you.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Aw yeah! Congrats, and enjoy teaching that little bundle everything about the world it just entered :3:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Gonna start a new hobby again to fill up time without spending money- geocaching. We have the doctor's permission for some light walking for my wife. We have everything we need so it won't cost anything. Obviously it needs to be for probably only 30 mins at a time if that, as I don't want to push my wife right now.

I can't wait for winter to break (we're expecting a half a foot of snow here in North Carolina tonight!) so I can get back outside and doing things like this. There's such a sense of accomplishment when you find one of those hard-to-spot ones.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

DogsCantBudget posted:

Sorry to Derail, but Droo, you still can't get over ~100$ a month(between those 2) which is 1% of our take home income? Really?

Laziness is laziness. Justify it however you want.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

I appreciate your concern, and I agree my son absolutely needs to learn moderation from me as an example.

Or you could be like my family, where every single one of us could be an alcoholic. I find it easier to abstain than drink in moderation, but I can (and do) just have one drink now and then.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 18, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

That's usually what prolonged silence from KG means.

Or maybe he just had a child and is probably extremely busy and sleep deprived?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Agreed. I think perhaps the best way to go about it is what people have been telling me, and that's have a set savings goal (and then a debt payoff) every month no matter what and just stick to that. 25-27% may be realistic with our debt levels right now.

Also quick note the alcohol category will now be gone moving forward. I've decided to abstain for the foreseeable future.

We aren't getting our son vaccinated so no problem anyway i dont want him to get autism

fake edit just playing he already has his first set

You should have left off the fake edit. Even Cornholio made some great April Fools posts now and then that really fooled some people.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Weak. We all saw it coming this year :)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Maybe some more anal can go through all of his past posts where he says things like "we'll be saving X dollars next month" and matches them up with his actual results from said months. He always has pie in the sky numbers when making a budget, but never seems to actually stick to it (or plays shell games).

Knyte: the only person you are fooling is yourself. Everyone here is telling you pretty much the same thing. Your budget numbers are bullshit if you don't stick to them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

I disagree that's how adulthood works because how many hosed up adults are there in the world. I do agree this is how a fiscally responsible person would operate, but I also think refusal does come with a social price that isn't to be disregarded. Bachelor parties don't happen all that often this may be the last chance I get, especially with friends I've known for 20 years. It's kind of moot because my discretionary should cover most of it.
Maybe
Let me translate this for you:
"Other people are fuckups so I'm not that bad off. I realize that I am not really doing any true action to get myself out of this situation, I'm merely using wishy-washy words like 'hoping' and 'maybe' instead of sticking to carefully considered plans. I'm using any excuse I can to spend money, including my ego about being perceived as poor which is the strongest force driving my decisions."

Try living a lifestyle that focuses more about taking care of your responsibilities instead of portraying yourself as having more money than you really do. YOU ARE BROKE, YOU HAVE NEGATIVE MONEY. Quit trying to impress your friends and family! They will understand that things are tight, especially with a new child to care for.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 7, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

HookShot posted:

Cheese owns though.

Not when you're lactose intolerant :cry:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Knyte, at this point I don't see why you're still arguing. You're gonna do what you're gonna do, and I don't think you really care what the opinion of internet strangers really is. Being the Goon in the Well is not fun, but until you make some real, lasting changes you are going to be living (nearly) paycheck to paycheck and just one major emergency away from financial ruin.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Arguing might not be the right word, but justification and rationalization sure do fit. So you had a tough upbringing, and now have a kid of your own? Who cares! You're in this situation, and either start making steps to get out of it or tread water until you are sunk by some "unforeseen" emergency.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
:toot:
That's a good update, and great job on staying in your budget!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Yes the car was still a bad choice and we're paying for that decision now for 6 years.

Fixed that for you.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

I think ... assumption ...

These words should not be used in this situation. Talk it over, draw up a contract if you have to. Make sure everyone is on the same page.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Oh and shoot we got the big hospital bills! We're still waiting on the anesthesiologist for the epidural.

~$300 for the delivery
~$2,800 for the hospital
~$600 for the false labor
$100 for rounding
Probably another $1,000 for the epidural
$500 for whatever we may be missing
---
$5,300 (hopefully a high estimate)

Cool we're came under budget. We have $6,000 in HSA funds. It nearly drains it but at least we didn't go into debt for the birth. Thanks Goons! No way we would have accomplished that without all of your help.

On to the charity month.

No one seems to be giving you kudos for this, so I will. You planned ahead, and had money sitting aside for this. And look, you have no stress about these bills because you were saving for them!

This is budgeting! And you're doing it! Woo!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Bugamol posted:

EDIT: Here I picked you out a Slo Mo apartment. If you're going to go Slow Mo, go full Slow Mo don't half rear end it. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/5036092549.html

No scorpion mural, no want.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
A $16k raise wouldn't be enough for me to move away from family support with a newborn and loads of debt, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Good luck, knyte. I hope it works out for you.

• Locked thread