Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I think it's one of those things that you can plan as best as possible, but the reality will be what it is and there's only so much planning to be done - you'll have to figure out a way to make it work when you get there. For example, you might discover that once your kid is born, while you may have the ability to work such a schedule, you may not want to. Your baby only has their first year once.

But having said all that, be aware that mentality can be used as an excuse to never get out of debt, so tread lightly. But I personally would not blame you if you decided that the schedule where you never see your partner and have limited time with your kid starts to burn one or both of you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah, uh, it's actually pretty important to consider that becoming a stay-at-home mom can have huge impact on your career, and I say this as the child of a woman who is going to have to work nearly every day until she is 70 with no vacations just to survive. And that's after spending years fighting her clawing her way back to the workforce to have a job that pays about as much as a kid's first college job. She's intelligent and works harder than most of the people in this thread; but there's plenty of young, childless kids fresh out of school who are more recently trained and willing to work for nothing. Several years not working can make you fairly irrelevant in most industries with the pace of technology, it's pretty dismissive and naive of economic conditions to say this worry is born of a 'loser' mentality - preeeettty bootstrapsy and unaware. Turns out a big-rear end gap in your work history for raising kids can really gently caress things up!

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 14, 2014

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Knyteguy posted:

Past behavior isn't always a sign of future behavior. I would probably be dead right now if life always followed that logic.

I just wanted to point out that this is a terribly bratty thing for an adult man to say. C'mon man, don't make excuses with flimsy logic like this, reacting all defensively when you yourself have admitted you are bad at this stuff. Sure, you have the capacity for change, but the only barometer we have right now is your past behavior regarding spending, which has not been stellar. Just suck it up and admit you have not been very disciplined, that it'll take some work to improve and accept that some people may be skeptical due to your track record - it's your behavior that made them skeptical in the first place!

• Locked thread