Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Jesus Christ it would annoy the hell out of me if I regularly had interviewees decline job offers because "oh, well, I don't even know if I want this job or to leave my current job...by the way I don't actually want to relocate I'd much prefer this was remote work"

poo poo or get off the pot, son. You're wasting people's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
There is another dimension to your wife working that I don't know if you guys are considering but if she goes back to work even for a slight net loss right now, she's banking experience that will enable her to earn more in the future. If you can afford it without it seriously impacting your ability to feed yourselves and keep a roof over your head then it's worth it I reckon.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

I don't understand why someone would lie about those stupid things anyway.

Be honest your boss doesn't want to give you a raise because you whacked his wife in the head with a pan and wouldn't cook the zucchini the way you were told to.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Reference? I haven't heard of a Benny in here, but I'm curious.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531379

You're welcome.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
What the hell is wrong with America that having 17.5 credit cards and two car loans is a normal thing. Maybe I'm financially naive but we have one credit card. It has a $5000 limit. That is all. It is very simple to manage because there is only one. Why do you need a billion different cards? This just enables you to spend more.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

I'm a get back on the horse kind of guy.

Please, please buy a horse. If there is one thing this thread is missing it is a horse.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

If you're not talking to technical people at first contact, that might be because they're keeping their technical people delivering technically until after vetting you with HR people.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I was also immediately hooked on this job, because the first person from the company to talk to me was my boss, not an HR drone

I am a former 'HR drone' (seriously, dude?) who had to dip my toes into IT recruitment on occasion. I would shortlist with the IT manager or solutions architect for the technical skills, and then I would do the initial phone interviews basically to check that these people were functional human beings because oddly enough there are some loving strange people out there that have no business being hired even if they are technical wunderkinds, and sometimes hiring managers get so caught up on the technical side of things that they overlook some otherwise pretty terrible behavioural issues. So don't take it personally that the IT manager may not be the first person you talk to, and know that the manager and HR person work in concert to make sure that the hire is both technically sound (manager) and not a raving lunatic or otherwise offensive to others (HR).

E: Of course it's mind-numbingly obvious, but I assumed that since people get so butthurt about it that they clearly had not realised that there was a totally rational reason for having that intermediary step in there. Because why get lovely about it if you know the rationale?

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 29, 2016

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Serious question, how do you expect to work full time in a wheeled box that you share with another adult and a small child? Are you going to tell her to take him away for hours long stretches every day? Is he magically going to make no noise? Are you going to set up in a place like a library to do your work away from them? In a job where you need to concentrate on detailed stuff, how is having a cherubic noisemaker effectively living in your office going to result in a good time for anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Tamarillo posted:

Serious question, how do you expect to work full time in a wheeled box that you share with another adult and a small child? Are you going to tell her to take him away for hours long stretches every day? Is he magically going to make no noise? Are you going to set up in a place like a library to do your work away from them? In a job where you need to concentrate on detailed stuff, how is having a cherubic noisemaker effectively living in your office going to result in a good time for anyone?

I know you don't want to talk RV stuff but please consider this point and come up with a strategy for if you go through with this. I don't think you've thought the mechanics of how you would actually work in this situation, or if you have its been with super thick rose tinted glasses.

• Locked thread