Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's a point. The other side of it is, look at how he's mentally tracking his restaurant spending from months past, and gave himself full credit this month for paying it back, when he demonstrably didn't pay it back.

I mean, there are two ways I can interpret this: one, he skimped on restaurants to cover a $100 excess in other categories. Or two, he blew the budget by $100. The way I think about budgets, it's option one. But if we're going to do the rolling over thing in flex categories, it's option two and he straight up failed in May. In my opinion there's no justification for rolling over flex categories, because the expenditures are adjustable within the month. Rolling over is an upper-grades envelope analogue for things like quarterly and annual expenses. It's clearly not working for him to use it for groceries, food, "misc".

At the current moment, the problem with rolling over restaurants is this: he overspent his discretionary money by $100 in May, doing something like his best effort. Now he's going to ask himself to spend twice that much less in June, to make up for June and May both, after he's demonstrated he can't even make the first target? It's self-sabotaging for someone who's trying to learn to work from a budget. Dude has a wee baby for chrissake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm inclined that way too. The concern is his utility and internet bill - how much of that was in his control over the course of the month? Said another way, how many $100s is he gonna have to cut back next month just to break even again?

E: dammit knyteguy you keep breaking in ahead of my replies :)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

If y'all think my utilities overage for May should go into savings instead now that the month is over that's fine just let me know. It could be done. I'm willing to defer here to BFC since I'm getting a little confused, and I think it's what SMS may be saying.

Yeah, it's legit confusing. As well as I understand it, the rolling over that YNAB does is analogous to having a bunch of savings accounts. You have a savings account for utilities, every month you put in $100. In the summer you have to take out $150 every month because air conditioning, but in the winter you only take out $50 every month, and it averages out over the year. That's fine. But if you are going to trade money from one month to the next within a category like that, you can't be trading money between categories as well. Rolling over leaves you with the temptation at the end of winter, "There's a bunch of extra in my utilities account! I must have over budgeted, I can take some out and buy a playstation." No, you can't, because that extra money is for the coming summer that isn't going to happen for months yet.

This month, you underspent on your restaurant budget, but you overspent on everything else. To my mind the clearest way to frame it mentally is that you traded between categories within the month of May.

E: I personally don't give two shits about May 31 vs. June 1. Go nuts. If you hosed up, it's gonna bite you at the end of June anyway :)

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 1, 2015

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

I bet your utility company has a program to pay a set amount every month, I think it's pretty common these days.

I have this for electric and gas. It's an improvement, but it's actually still not super predictable. One year I got a $300 extra electric bill at the end of the year. The gas bill is constant all year long, but at the end of the year has changed anywhere from $50 to $110 for the next year depending on how well they estimated in the past. So generally, I recommend it, but don't expect it to be magic.

PS See thread title :D

n8r posted:

What is the $100 misc for? Why can't you commit it to something useful like paying down your car?
Definitely a matter of preference, but I use a "misc" category to deal with poo poo I can't be bothered to keep track of, and $100 isn't an outrageous amount. Of course, that implies that everything else is kept track of very well, which I'm not sure is going on here. . .

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 1, 2015

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bugamol posted:

Are you rolling forward your overages in restaurants, discretionary, and clothing?

I would advise you don't because it's probably going to set you up to fail again. At the end of the day you need to learn to just literally STOP spending when you run out of budget.

This is my opinion too. The most basic and necessary skill for discretionary spending is to stop when you reach the limit. He can't even do that right now - so he he especially can't handle the extra level of accountability and tracking involved in rolling it over. As he has demonstrated conclusively in May and June.

...But we did hash this out last month too :v:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Legitimate struggles and legitimate stress. Does talking about this stuff with your wife help, or make it worse? Either could be the case, either is ok. But if talking about it together makes things worse, the two of you should work on finding other outlets for each of you. Therapy, groups, I dunno but there's a lot of stuff out there. A lot of people struggle with these things.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
They literally can't make up May and June until what, September? And that's if they never leave the house during that time, whereas they have conclusively demonstrated that doing even one month on budget is a stretch. You're just piling on stress, which is extremely counterproductive. Do I have to start citing the behavioral psychology literature, here?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Dumb. It's a transparent ploy to hide your money from creditors, and one that people have been trying since forever. If you have a contract it's still an asset. And even if you don't, no creditor's lawyer is going to miss that trick and any judge is going to read you the riot act if you try to conceal the transaction in court.

Ask a lawyer though cause I ain't one

If you really want to do this, the workable approach is to use all your savings to pay down debt and rely on your grandma for emergency money. Buuuut I think that's a terrible idea too.

E: seriously, get some ADHD meds

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 17, 2015

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

If both of those are terrible ideas, then what would be the best path?

How about the path that people have been recommending since the beginning of the thread, that you are still having trouble getting on?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
(1) It requires court proceedings. Have there been court proceedings? (2) You do owe the money... hiding it is probably evidence of bad faith as far as the court is concerned.

You have a baby and a problem with spending. Those are far more immediate and demanding issues right now, and you have to deal with them regardless of what your creditors do. What your creditors do is out of your control anyway. So quit distracting yourself with unlikely possibilities. Did you say you have a counselor? This anxiety could be a good thing to talk about.

foxatee posted:

May I ask why you're suddenly worried about this when you haven't been panicky about it before?
Because he'd rather worry about some hypotheticals instead of dealing with the reality of his finances :D

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
No. Don't start the "get rid of pets" thing again.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
And this is a finance thread, not a dog behavior thread. If Knyteguy wants to discuss that stuff he can get all the feedback he bargained for and more over in Pussy Control.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That's fine but don't encourage him to commit insurance fraud :D

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Aargh, stop it! Don't make me start swinging the probe-hammer. But, yeah, doge pics are welcome

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

Can we drop the dog stuff (again)?

Yup. Next dogchat gets time off.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It's fine to pay 12 bucks for bug bombs for minor bug poo poo. It's also fine to hassle the landlord instead. it's a judgment call and a matter personal preference. Doesn't sound like an actual bug problem to me.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

dodging and progress
You can always do more, and people here will definitely let you know that. But also, every little bit counts, don't forget that either. It's a long slow road, bit by bit and day by day, especially with a kid. Just don't give up.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Every dental plan I've ever been offered has had a deductible that made it useless for minor things, plus a cap on benefits that made it useless for major things. Though they vary I suppose.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That's about what my plan looks like, too. Insurance with a $180/yr cost and $2000/yr maximum payout is rather limited and quite expensive! I would certainly not call it amazing. I only spend about $180/yr just paying out of pocket, and $2000 of coverage give or take will not be a deciding factor when I eventually need major work done.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Two people with a baby getting by with just one car in the USA is some extreme poo poo, not any sort of reasonable expectation. I'm surprised he lasted this long.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Financial independence is KG's escapist fantasy. He's much more interested in having a decent life with his wife and kid and family.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Pet insurance is bad with money, you should get rid of it and put the money in a savings account instead.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I haven't tried it myself but I'm pretty sure that working for Uber is bad with money.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ahahahahaha

I was going to change the thread title in honor of this new shiny thing, but I see I don't need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
LEDs for the bedroom ceiling or gtfo.

• Locked thread