Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Knyteguy posted:

Monthly Expenses
Rent: $1,100
Car payment: $340
Truck payment: $260
Food/Eating Out: $600-$800 (I think this is higher than usual)
Fuel: $200
Internet: $33 (no tv services)
Cell Phone: $55
Car Insurance (both): $172
Pet Food: $80
Other Misc Pet: $20
Netflix / Hulu: $16
Power: $60

And that's all you spend? Bullshit. Where's the shopping? Where's the clothing purchases, electronics, makeup, etc.? poo poo you buy off Amazon? Do you honestly just not buy new stuff ever besides pet food?

My point is you are not tracking your expenses accurately, and if you don't do that, then you're not being honest with yourself.

On the plus side, you are much more sane than Slow Motion and your wife seems like a nice lady, so there's plenty of hope for you! I'd suggest signing up for Mint and tracking all of your expenses for a month or two, you'd be surprised at what you end up spending your money on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Holy poo poo, your company is delaying paychecks due to lack of cash on hand? You need to be looking for a new job yesterday.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Knyteguy posted:

I'm really trying not to freak the gently caress out; I need a clear head especially in a situation like this. I know it is dire, but I also don't think it's a time to overreact. We've been devoting too much of my time to my boss's pet project, and not enough time focusing on billing clients. That's been rectified, and hopefully will continue to be rectified. I appreciate the concern, and I'll absolutely take your advice to not throw any extra money towards our debt until we have an emergency fund. I actually just changed our car bill from the standard $600 we've been paying, to the minimum payment.

I think you need to freak out/overreact a bit more. If your next paycheck is delayed or hosed with in any way, you need to jump ship. Companies that miss payroll are :siren: not healthy :siren:. It's a big loving red flag.

All this debt paying down business is completely hosed if you lose your source of income, even if only for a month or two while you get a new job. You'll rack up more debt/overdrafts/fees in that period when no money is coming in, as you've noticed.

Seriously, whip up your resume and get in touch with a recruiter. It sounds like you have skills, so finding a new job shouldn't be too hard but you definitely need to devote some time to it ASAP. Best case scenario, your job is perfectly fine and pays you on time from now on and you wasted a few hours job hunting. Hell, who knows, you might even find something that's way better and pays more!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wintermuteCF posted:

Depending on how frequently you change blades, Dollar Shave Club can also help you out on razors. I think I pay $6 every other month because I only change blades (the 4-bladed kind because I'm lazy) every other week, so 4 blades lasts 2 months. Far cheaper than buying in a drugstore, and you don't have to think about it.

Rather than subscribe to their dumb "pay every month" model (which is just a trick to make you forget to cancel and keep your subscription going forever), you can just go to https://www.dorcousa.com and buy the razors in bulk. Spent $24 bucks, now have enough razors to last me 6 months.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wintermuteCF posted:

4 razors is $5.50 + shipping through Dorco
4 razors is $6.00 with shipping included through Dollar Shave Club?

You can also sign up for every-other-month shipments, so 6 months of razors for me is $18 ($6 x 3).

Don't be a twat.

I was just presenting an alternative. For me, buying 4 packs of razors at once was easier than subscribing to their service for 4 months and then potentially forgetting to cancel my service and end up paying more than I would have liked to pay (a common trap of the subscription-based payment model, and one that companies count on you forgetting about.) No twat-ness was intended. :tipshat:

Knyteguy, it's less the actual spending that we care about and more the mentality behind the spending. I know you want that new game that just came out, I'm a gamer too, and I understand the impulse very well.

I spent $60 on the most recent Steam sale, for example, but I came away with 7 games. Those games will give me enjoyment for months and months, and will hold me over until the new games that are currently on sale for $60 each become cheaper. That's the cool thing about games, they get WAY cheaper if you wait 6 months to a year to start playing them. There's no reason not to do this for single player games other than lack of impulse control. Using this method, you can stretch your gaming dollar to the max and your budget will thank you.

Start implementing easy fixes like these and reduce the desire to get the big shiny new thing right now. The PS4 will still be around in 2014, but it will be cheaper and have more games.

• Locked thread